• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phantom Brave PC |OT| Nippon Ichi's most unique SRPG

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
The comparisons to Soul Nomad are interesting, as a certain character from this game ends up in that one, under a different name.

I am referring to Walnut, of course

Phantom Brave is my favorite SRPG, and while it hasn't aged quite like fine wine, it's still an excellent game that should be played by any Japanese SRPG fan.

The voice acting (in my opinion) is the most hit and miss in any NIS game. Some characters are great, others are amazing, and some lines are delivered with all the energy of a dying cow. I'm glad they're letting us switch between the japanese and english audio in this version.

I've been playing the retail version of the game for about a week, and the only problem I've run into is with my XBox One controller, which I've heard has also been problematic with XBox 360 controllers. Pressing the left analog stick all the way up will register as pressing down.

This one also has the PSP content, high-res UI/2D, arbitrary resolution support and 60 FPS. (Personally, I think the high-res UI graphics and fonts are the most significant improvement for playing it on modern displays)

As long as the arbitrary resolution is 16:9 or 4:3, yeah. The options are very user unfriendly, too.

Durante

Fuck it, bought. Doing a somewhat comprehensive TiTS SC playthrough can get overwhelming at times, so an SRPG should be perfect for the days when I can't get myself to return to Liberl. Like today.

So is the game unlocking in an hour?
All right I wasn't going to pre-order but you convinced me Durante.
Success!

But in all seriousness, I don't think getting people to buy this now helps in getting more games like it made -- that ship sailed long ago. But it should help more people discover a very unique and somewhat obscure gem. So enjoy! (hopefully)

As long as the arbitrary resolution is 16:9 or 4:3, yeah.
People sometimes bring that up, but really, "arbitrary resolution" is not at all the same as "arbitrary aspect ratio".
(One of them also involves quite a bit more work, especially in a UI-heavy game)

Momentary

Banned
There were issues on the demo with my mobile 980m with NV Craptimus. But it's not the dev's fault. NVIDIA should have made it so that you could turn it off. ALOT of games have issues with this stupid ass setup NVIDIA created. Can't wait to build my desktop.

Durante

There were issues on the demo with my mobile 980m with NV Craptimus. But it's not the dev's fault. NVIDIA should have made it so that you could turn it off. ALOT of games have issues with this stupid ass setup NVIDIA created. Can't wait to build my desktop.
Could you fix it by manually creating a profile for the executable and setting it to use the dedicated GPU?

Still waiting for the one true king to make its way to PC.

I'm pretty sure I started this game two or three different times over the course of a few years before I could finally bring myself to get past the first chapter . . .

Fun little game though

Welp, this sold me on it. I meant to give this game a shot years ago when I was younger and more into NIS's output (this was a time when their non-Disgaea games were generally still very good). Looked adorable and the gameplay seemed really neat. This seems like as good at time as any to give the game a go. Those HD backgrounds and the like are looking great.

Aru

Wasn't a fan of limited turns back on PS2, I wonder if I should give this game another shot... I didn't buy it while it was like 2$ on PSN a few weeks ago.

Durante

Wasn't a fan of limited turns back on PS2, I wonder if I should give this game another shot...
You should. I mean, I disliked BoF:DQ when it came out because it was too different, and having played it later it's now easily one of my favourite JRPGs of all time.

I think the more unusual or novel a game is the more a new perspective (tempered by time) can completely change your perception.

Alexlf

Honestly one of my favorite games of all time. Loved to play it to just chill, amazing atmosphere. I was on the fence about pre ordering it since I already own it 3 times, but with a recommendation like the OP how can I not?

AlanOC91

Just bought. Going in completely blind. All I know is that it's a jrpg and I LOVE jrpgs.

Hopefully it's worth it.

EDIT: srpg even. Hey FF Tactics Advance is one of my favorite games of all time.

Momentary

Banned
Could you fix it by manually creating a profile for the executable and setting it to use the dedicated GPU?

NVIDIA Optimus ALWAYS uses the CPU to for the display and the GPU for the grunt work. The GPU is already running the game. You can change the profile to force it to run on integrated graphics which sometimes fixes some issues, but you lose your discreet GPU's power. But most games that need to be fixed that way aren't demanding at all graphically.

Turning off the integrated graphics through device manager or other means, causes the display not to work at all. It's really weird. I despise NV Optimus. Never buy a laptop that forces you to use that bullshit.

BUT... I just started up the full release and the game works just fine on the 980m :)

Battlechili

Banned
I beta tested the game, and I can certainly say that it was a real treat! If anyone wants to know anything more about it, feel free to ask:
OnmFu2R.jpg

Phantom Brave is definitely unique and interesting gameplay wise, and I think this is miles better both as a game and as a port than Disgaea PC. I couldn't personally get into Disgaea; item world especially ruined it for me. But this...I love it! The character interactions between Marona and Ash are especially very enjoyable and believable. These characters seem much more real and believable than any Disgaea character. You can really feel the pain Marona has as she tries so desperately to make others happy and be accepted, and you can see the care Ash puts in to try and keep her as safe and happy as he can, even in his phantom state.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
I put in more hours into this game than I did in Disgaea, well over 100 hours in both. I love it, obviously.

Uthred

Saw some complaints about the background images being cropped so theyre missing some of the original image, anyone know if this is true?

Durante pray that they release Makai Kingdom for the PC if you like Phantom Brave. That game was pretty damned awesome. While this game is great for myself personally preferred Makai Kingdom over it. Game mechanics have some similarities between the two.

Have to agree I preferred Makai Kingfom, characters and writing were great in it. If memory serves Makai Kingdom also has shares a number of the systems listed as unique in the OP.

Durante

Phantom Brave is definitely unique and interesting gameplay wise, and I think this is miles better both as a game and as a port than Disgaea PC. I couldn't personally get into Disgaea; item world especially ruined it for me. But this...I love it! The character interactions between Marona and Ash are especially very enjoyable and believable. These characters seem much more real and believable than any Disgaea character. You can really feel the pain Marona has as she tries so desperately to make others happy and be accepted, and you can see the care Ash puts in to try and keep her as safe and happy as he can, even in his phantom state.
Yeah, it's a touching story at times. On top of being a great strategy game.

Koeta

I picked it up, I loved the Disgaea games and hope to see more stuff from NIS on steam in the future.

Having a demo didn't hurt, was able to see how good of a port it was first hand.

Momentary

Banned
I picked it up, I loved the Disgaea games and hope to see more stuff from NIS on steam in the future.

Having a demo didn't hurt, was able to see how good of a port it was first hand.

For some reason the demo ran crappy on my laptop, but now the full game works fine. I am very happy.

Nzyme32

Well I suppose it will have to go on the wishlist. Likely a Christmas purchase. Need to try more SRPGs. Usually put off by the "anime" styling that immediately leads me to assume several cliched tropes will bore me. Valkyria is probably the first to steer me away from that mode of thinking, and I now have a list of things to try, now including this

Some of the "Stupid Things" I was talking about earlier. The game's full of it.

Oh man, I'm loving the battle theme

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeessss.

One of the reasons I disdain the New Super Mario games so much is this game did the "BAH"s orders of magnitude better.

I beta tested the game, and I can certainly say that it was a real treat! If anyone wants to know anything more about it, feel free to ask:
OnmFu2R.jpg

It's exceedingly kid-friendly without being saccharine or annoying
read: buy a copy for your kid.

Put the game in full screen and it looks like I'm only seeing a quarter of the screen...that's odd...

Is there anyway to force it back into windowed mode or do I need to get a refund?

vanguardian1

poor, homeless and tasteless
Put the game in full screen and it looks like I'm only seeing a quarter of the screen...that's odd...

Is there anyway to force it back into windowed mode or do I need to get a refund?

Sounds like a graphical setting more than anything (anti-aliasing?)

epmode

This port is amazing. I couldn't hope for anything better.

edit: That's not quite true. I have the Chroma Edition but I can't find the art book in the game folder. I checked my Steam game properties and the art book shows up under the DLC tab.

I have an extra key I'm looking to sell for $14 if anyone's interested. Just shoot me a PM.

This game's incredible. Just got Bottlemail (didn't know that was a thing back when I played on PS2), and I just finished Chapter 3. Any other neat secrets I shouldn't miss on my first playthrough? I never finished the game because the girl that had the game (
was a lying, cheating, monster
) and I broke up. I'm glad I get to revisit it. :D

Battlechili

Banned
This port is amazing. I couldn't hope for anything better.

edit: That's not quite true. I have the Chroma Edition but I can't find the art book in the game folder. I checked my Steam game properties and the art book shows up under the DLC tab.
Check your updates; the game should have an update ready now, if you didn't have it already. Update. It should be around 33mb in size. Then, go into the game folder that Phantom Brave PC is stored in (Steam->Steamapps->common->Phantom Brave PC) and there should be a PDF of the artbook in there. NISA was apparently late in releasing it or something.

Lain

Looks like Humblebundle store screwed up my Chroma Edition preorder, giving me a key for just the base game with no artbook. Hopefully won't take them too long to fix the issue.

AlanOC91

So if an object is powering up an enemy and I transform that object into one of my phantoms, that phantom will still power up the enemy correct?

So if I do this. Is there a way to break the power up?

patapuf

I had fun playing for a bit. Lots of room for strategies/improvising it seems and not just tactically either. Using other units as clubs is hilarious. So is throwing your unit on a enemy and them being stomped like a goomba. I'm sure there's a lot more when i start unlocking/using more classes.

I'm not sure what to think of the story yet, but the setup being somewhat unique makes me optimistic.

I need to finish up Fire Emblem, but it's nice knowing i'll have something good waiting after that.

Durante

Changing the settings is a waste of time. Leave it as is in 4:3.
Huh? Why? For one, the settings default to the old UI graphics and sprite smoothing. The new UI graphics and no sprite smoothing look much better (as does the 3D stuff when it's rendered at 5k rather than 640x480).

So if an object is powering up an enemy and I transform that object into one of my phantoms, that phantom will still power up the enemy correct?

So if I do this. Is there a way to break the power up?
Throw your phantom off the level :p

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Question: does this have any more content than the PSP version? Itching to play this game again, but portability >> bigger screen, especially when the sprites are blown up anyway.

Speevy

Banned
Huh? Why? For one, the settings default to the old UI graphics and sprite smoothing. The new UI graphics and no sprite smoothing look much better (as does the 3D stuff when it's rendered at 5k rather than 640x480).

I just feel like it doesn't really "pop" no matter what you do to it. I'd rather just be playing it.

epmode

Yeah, I don't know what he's getting at. A few tweaks in Settings is a night and day difference. Sprite filtering in particular looks *awful*

Top Bottom