• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phillip W. Spencer III:"Xbox’s aim with Call of Duty is to give players choice, not "do slimy platform things" that make one option more appealing."

Now let's see the full fat native CoD on the Switch like you said, Phil
leaked footage of CoD on switch below
mTZgd6p.jpeg

blue velvet

Yea

Yeah, very rememant of a politician's "I'm just like you" slogan. Shit works, I guess.
CEOs and politicians are very much the same. Nobody get to the top of corporate ladder without manipulating and shitting on their peers. Most of the time, these heads of gaming companies are able to hide their persona/sociopathic tendencies in public, but he seems lack any form of awareness or doesn't give a hoot anymore. Either way, this dude gives me freakin bad vibes like a real slimey person.

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

Are you seriously trying to ignore what they did for an entire console generation and a half after that, or did you leave off the "on console" portion when quoting me for "reasons"?

This is a thread about CoD and cross platform parity, in case you hadn't noticed.
The only reason MS did so, was because Xbox hardware sales were declining.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Not really a surprise because Spencer is using populist rhetoric to Xbox fanbase. He's portraying himself as "for the gamers". Anyone who isn't naive can tell how fake and manufactured that BS is.
If they confirm that they decided to invest in an emulation layer for full library forward compatibility, it will be the biggest "for the gamers" thing ever done. Same could be said for GP in general. I'm not exactly clear on your use of the word populist here, but both of those could be framed as incredibly populist policies.

JackMcGunns

How can you Xbox Too when this is a thread of what Phil himself said?

No, re re, you're not doing it right.

Whenever Xbox does something bad and Xbox fans defensively points out that Sony has done the same shit in the past, it's immediately met by Sony fans with "Sony Too™", basically mocking the reply for ignoring what's being discussed and instead focusing on what Sony did in the past.

The topic here is about the slimmy things that Sony has done recently with Call of Duty, now being dismissed by Sony fans with what Xbox has done in the past, aka InstertCompany____Too™. Capice?

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Whenever Xbox does something bad and Xbox fans defensively points out that Sony has done the same shit in the past, it's immediately met by Sony fans with "Sony Too™", basically mocking the reply for ignoring what's being discussed and instead focusing on the competitors behaviour.

The topic here is about the slimmy things that Sony has done recently with Call of Duty, now being dismissed by Sony fans with Xbox Too™. Capice?
Sad Season 1 Episode 1 GIF by NBC

You are painfully obtuse. Fanatically retarded, really.

Last edited:

DJ12

Brave of Phil to bite the hand that feeds him. Imagine spending money to develop games for ps5 only for Sony to run quality assurance on all of them and not pass them for sale.

Topher

Gold Member
Whenever Xbox does something bad and Xbox fans defensively points out that Sony has done the same shit in the past, it's immediately met by Sony fans with "Sony Too™", basically mocking the reply for ignoring what's being discussed and instead focusing on the competitors behaviour.

The topic here is about the slimmy things that Sony has done recently with Call of Duty, now being dismissed by Sony fans with Xbox Too™. Capice?

This isn't about defending the "slimy" practices of Microsoft or Sony. It is about the hypocrisy of either side pointing fingers at the other when they are both guilty.

"not to that make one option more appealing"? eh?
So future CoDs will be on Plus for no extra cost day one too. Great. Thx Phil.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Aww, I'm sorry if that was too difficult for you to understand, or maybe you understood it perfectly, but had nothing to reply with. It's ok to be wrong and accepting it, you don't have to resort to insults when you've been owned.
You're still projecting your insecurities all over the place. Keep going, bby bio.

This isn't about defending the "slimy" practices of Microsoft or Sony. It is about the hypocrisy of either side pointing fingers at the other when they are both guilty.
Bill Murray Thank You GIF by filmeditor

JackMcGunns

You're still projecting your insecurities all over the place. Keep going, bby bio.

Bill Murray Thank You GIF by filmeditor

And that's what's stupid about the Sony Too™ which I don't agree with, I'm actually with you on that one, it's pure hypocricy, but I think I went a level too deep for you Mr. DeepEnigma, notice that I asked "Am I doing it right?" because I'm mocking that crowd that uses the Sony Too™ bullshit, it's exactly what they do.

Capiche?

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
"not to that make one option more appealing"? eh?
So future CoDs will be on Plus for no extra cost day one too. Great. Thx Phil.
If Sony wants to pay billions of dollars I'm sure they'd go for it. They put Minecraft Legends on PS+ which is more than Sony has put on GP. Also multiple Bethesda games. MS did pay $70 billion for the option to put it on their sub. The cost to put it on PS+ would be extremely, extremely high. MS likely couldn't afford to get CoD on GP either unless they bought the company itself.

Last edited:

JackMcGunns

Right, I'm with you there, I'm not actually in favor of ignoring bad behaviour, I'm mocking the Sony Too™ crowd and it was in reply to a comment made. Typically when someone points at the hypocricy of Sony doing something similar in the past, it's met with the Sony Too™ schtick, but I never said I agree with it.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Right, I'm with you there, I'm not actually in favor of ignoring bad behaviour, I'm mocking the Sony Too™ crowd and it was in reply to a comment made. Typically when someone points at the hypocricy of Sony doing something similar in the past, it's met with the Sony Too™ schtick, but I never said I agree with it.
You still used it out of place. Typically when that is done, it is done in a thread where Sony is never even mentioned but some insecure fantard brings it in like a jealous high school girl to dismiss the scrutiny of their favorite toy brand.

This thread was every bit about BOTH Sony and MS, thus people used it to show his own typical hypocrisy.

It's really not that hard to understand.

JackMcGunns

Oh, I know. No more Phil worshipping 24/7.

He's been showing his ass over the years, and by golly, it must suck for the cult of personality latchlings.

You're so focused on attacking that you lost the plot. Where did I defend or worship Phil? I replied to someone who said Xbox Too, and those replies are typically met with Sony Too when the shoe's on the other foot. It was a joke, get over it, or maybe you just didn't understand it. Sad.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
You're so focused on attacking that you lost the plot. Where did I defend or worship Phil? I replied to someone who said Xbox Too, and those replies are typically met with Sony Too when the shoe's on the other foot. It was a joke, get over it, or maybe you just didn't understand it. Sad.
Ok.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

Do you feel like you're talking in circles?

JackMcGunns

You still used it out of place. Typically when that is done, it is done in a thread where Sony is never even mentioned but some insecure fantard brings it in like a jealous high school girl to dismiss the scrutiny of their favorite toy brand.

This thread was every bit about BOTH Sony and MS, thus people used it to show his own typical hypocrisy.

It's really not that hard to understand.

*Reads title*

Puss In Boots Drama GIF

Topher

Gold Member

Pointing to that whataboutism schtick doesn't make sense when the very thing being discussed is the hypocrisy of Phil Spencer's finger wagging. Obviously people are going to point out why it is hypocrisy.

Last edited:

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
This whole interview was so funny and lacked any kind of self-awareness from Spencer, McCaffrey and adoring audience.

Spencer taking victory laps for the showing of mostly games that he had nothing to do with the development of, then proceeding to tell everyone that for years his job was trying to announce the same 4 games over and over again in different ways summed it all up.

McCaffrey not explicitly asking how many of the games will be coming to other platforms after Spencer explicitly opened the door for him to ask was a bit strange (was probably briefed not to ask).

Spencer mentions Doom is a "Franchise everyone deserves to play", I would dig deeper on that and ask what he means by that? Are there franchises they own that some people don't deserve to play?

He said that Marty said "Let's ship it on all platforms" and claimed he said "so let's do that". Is that the threshold for all games internally? An internal studio exec just has to say that and it will happen?

I feel sorry for the clowns in the audience banging their foam tubes together to make Xs throughout, they are being taken for fools by their deity, hearing what they want to hear. Or maybe they are massive fans of Xbox essentially becoming a publisher for all platforms, which is cool if so, it will be fun to see it all pan out over the next few months.

Sushi_Combo

This whole interview was so funny and lacked any kind of self-awareness from Spencer, McCaffrey and adoring audience.

Spencer taking victory laps for the showing of mostly games that he had nothing to do with the development of, then proceeding to tell everyone that for years his job was trying to announce the same 4 games over and over again in different ways summed it all up.

McCaffrey not explicitly asking how many of the games will be coming to other platforms after Spencer explicitly opened the door for him to ask was a bit strange (was probably briefed not to ask).

Spencer mentions Doom is a "Franchise everyone deserves to play", I would dig deeper on that and ask what he means by that? Are there franchises they own that some people don't deserve to play?

He said that Marty said "Let's ship it on all platforms" and claimed he said "so let's do that". Is that the threshold for all games internally? An internal studio exec just has to say that and it will happen?

I feel sorry for the clowns in the audience banging their foam tubes together to make Xs throughout, they are being taken for fools by their deity, hearing what they want to hear. Or maybe they are massive fans of Xbox essentially becoming a publisher for all platforms, which is cool if so, it will be fun to see it all pan out over the next few months.
It's pretty pathetic and comes off as super political. I'm more of a PS owner but would never suck any of these execs off. Customers should be demanding transparency out of these discussions and not fluff pieces.

It's pretty pathetic and comes off as super political. I'm more of a PS owner but would never suck any of these execs off. Customers should be demanding transparency out of these discussions and not fluff pieces.

Unfortunately the blatantly odious shilling and fart sniffing for the execs has spoilt that community imo. There was a time I thought Xbox had one of the best communities.

NickFire

What does MS possibly gain from a statement like this at this time? The casual audience will never see it. And the enthusiasts will instantly decry the hypocrisy of it.

On second thought, what has this guy really done that was good for MS period?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Not true. He's been fucking the fans in the ass for the past decade. They seem to enjoy it for some reason.
And like battered couples, he will buy you expensive things you would have otherwise gotten anyway to soothe the misguided pain of hoping to crush the dastardly competition.
256px-SuccessKid.jpg

What does MS possibly gain from a statement like this at this time? The casual audience will never see it. And the enthusiasts will instantly decry the hypocrisy of it.

On second thought, what has this guy really done that was good for MS period?
The most hardcore cultists are the ones that will be the most upset that exclusives are going to other platforms. His most loyal influencer "ambassadors" went insane around the time of the 4 games earlier this year.

He knows they live and die off this fanatical ammo on their YouTube channels and the like. This was to get them talking about this, rather than crying about Sony getting those games too.

Last edited:

Solidus_T

Banned

Gaming "journalism" nowadays summed up. Articles, interviews, etc are done more as ads and PR for the companies themselves, or even the execs and their shitty behavior. Nothing is about digging deeper and informing people

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
There is no one that rather pay $70 for an online game than getting it for free.
All those games that sell on Steam and other consoles as we speak, that are also on Game Pass.

You overvalue a rental system. One that would cost your average exclusively CoD player more money for the entire year they play it, than if they bought it outright.

Where can I get it free?
Become an ambassador. 🤭

Last edited:
Top Bottom