• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pics that make you laugh |OT5| Origins

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fine, I'll bite. Barbie is a character with realistic interactions with the real, modern world while he-man is 100% fantasy. An equivalent would be the flawed/quirky but lovable and handsome (possibly rich) male protagonist of many romantic comedies.

I could point out that there are just as many magic or princes Barbies as modern ones, or could have just posted the picture from "Barbie and the Magic of Pegasus", but how fantastical the worlds each character lives in really has no relevance. So instead, funny pics.

HlmYrgz.jpg

Avixph

I could point out that there are just as many magic or princes Barbies as modern ones, or could have just posted the picture from "Barbie and the Magic of Pegasus", but how fantastical the worlds each character lives in really has no relevance. So instead, funny pics.

HlmYrgz.jpg
That's nasty.

RedSwirl

Fine, I'll bite. Barbie is a character with realistic interactions with the real, modern world while he-man is 100% fantasy. An equivalent would be the flawed/quirky but lovable and handsome (possibly rich) male protagonist of many romantic comedies.

This is basically what I was going to say. The fantasy of Barbie is presented subtly enough that people had to show off actual research to prove Barbie's proportions are unrealistic. The toy is presented as if it might actually be possible for little girls to become Barbie.

He-Man on the other hand is blunt fantasy. Boys play with it, but have no illusions of actually being He-Man when they grow up. I don't know, maybe you could apply that shit to toy soldiers, policemen, or firemen or something, but then again those aren't exactly bad things to aspire to be.

I actually think male RomCom characters could qualify as a sexualization equivalent for men. My current theory on fedora-wearing "nice guys" is that many of them think they are trying to be the gentlemen presented in RomComs and R&B music videos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom