• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity by Obsidian Entertainment (Kickstarter) [Up: Teaser]

Old Lace

If we hit $3.0 Million, we will build a stronghold worthy of the title!
If you take us on an exciting adventure to $3.5 Million, we will take you on an exciting adventure to another big city.

I'm not sure if it'll hit $3.5 million, but I think 3 million is doable (maybe).

epmode

PE-TempleEntrance01-1920x1080.jpg

Good lord.

PaulLFC

There's also a digital almanac you can add to pledges for $15. It says anyone who's already pledged $50 or more will get it for free. Does that mean if I pledged $50 now I wouldn't get it, or is it just the way it's worded and all $50+ pledges will get it? I would assume so, as it'd be more work than it's worth to separate orders, surely.

PE-DigitalCampaignAlmanac.jpg

That screenshot a couple of posts above. Wow.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Whoa, that looks really good. Fuck me. And it's on Unity to boot?

Yep, though it's still rendered:

Environment Screenshot

Project Eternity's team of crazed environment artists have been working hard on developing our first environment for the game. Early on in the Kickstarter campaign, we told you that we wanted to make maps the Infinity Engine way. That is, we wanted to build 3D levels, render them out as 2D images, and then have our artists paint in beautiful details, highlights, and color-tweaks before they went into the game. Looking back at the levels some of us worked on for Icewind Dale, we were still thrilled with the quality that we could achieve with this approach. For Project Eternity, we're using 10 years of improvements in rendering technology and hardware to get the job done, but we still love what we can do the "old-fashioned" way. We hope you share our enthusiasm.

Mudo

Holy mother of God that screenshot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have not yet pledged and was planning to in a few days but now......now I'm doing it as soon as a I get home and research the tiers some more. Any doubts I had about this game are gone - that is just gorgeous and not many games exist today that have "that look" to them.

PaulLFC

Is a 'big city' something like Baldur's Gate (the town in Baldur's Gate 1 the game) or Athkatla in BG2? If so, then 2 such cities in one game would be incredible.
That's exactly how they described it, yes. They named those two cities and said they were big cities. Project Eternity will include one big city, at $3.5 million there will be two.

Holy mother of God that screenshot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have not yet pledged and was planning to in a few days but now......now I'm doing it as soon as a I get home and research the tiers some more. Any doubts I had not about this game are gone - that is just gorgeous and not many games exist today that have "that look" to them.
I also haven't pledged yet and will be doing so before the campaign ends - just not sure which tier to go for yet. Physical tiers are too expensive for me as I'm in the UK. I was going to pledge $35 for the digital book because I like reading information about the world, characters etc. It seems like $50 may include the almanac announced today, although it's described as "if you've already pledged $50+" so I'm not sure if I'd get it if I put in $50 as a new pledge.

dionysus

Yaldog
The wait for this game is going to be hard, especially if the GAF Inn happens and that thread is constantly active.

2nd large city sounds amazing. It is always a disapointment near the end of crpgs how the last act is normally no where as good as the main city.

zkylon

zkylewd
Art department redeemed! lol

3.5m, huh? It'll be a hard climb to raise almost another whole million in under 5 days...

3m will be easy, though. It has to.

kswiston

I'm not sure if it'll hit $3.5 million, but I think 3 million is doable (maybe).

The last 3 days have all been over $50k, and today is already at $47k. With 5 more days to go, Project Eternity will reach $2.9M without ANY late campaign bump. Every major Kickstarter has a late campaign bump, so $3M is locked. $3.5M, I am not sure about. Project Eternity is about 200k ahead of where Double Fine Adventure was when it had 5 days to go ($2.45M), but Double Fine had a really strong final day of over $400k. I don't think the either of these final stretch goals are going to drive pledges for Project Eternity in the same way, so the guys at Obsidian better have something else up their sleeve if they want to get to $3.5M and beyond.

Dennis

Banned
For the new page

Environment Screenshot

Project Eternity's team of crazed environment artists have been working hard on developing our first environment for the game. Early on in the Kickstarter campaign, we told you that we wanted to make maps the Infinity Engine way. That is, we wanted to build 3D levels, render them out as 2D images, and then have our artists paint in beautiful details, highlights, and color-tweaks before they went into the game. Looking back at the levels some of us worked on for Icewind Dale, we were still thrilled with the quality that we could achieve with this approach. For Project Eternity, we're using 10 years of improvements in rendering technology and hardware to get the job done, but we still love what we can do the "old-fashioned" way. We hope you share our enthusiasm.

Lancehead

Well done Obsidian for the gorgeous screenshot.

Now this should speed funding up quite a bit.

Also, I like this:
biamhac - The most feared phenomenon of Eír Glanfath, biamhacs are "spirit winds" that rise up in cursed ruins, shearing souls away from the bodies of their owners. They appear suddenly and without warning, leaving victims little hope of escape. Strong-souled people are not harmed by biamhacs, but affected individuals are instantly reduced to a catatonic state. The discovery of numerous biamhacs in Eír Glanfath during its early exploration resulted in thousands of Aedyr deaths.

Mindlog

That screenshot.
Chris Roberts is giving space sims another go.
A publisher puts out a great X-Com successor.

What is happening?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
That lore sounds absolutely amazing, and a large part of why is that a lot of events have occurred "200 years ago", "600 years ago", etc. None of this crap where everything interesting in a world happend 4000 years in the past.

PaulLFC

The last 3 days have all been over $50k, and today is already at $47k. With 5 more days to go, Project Eternity will reach $2.9M without ANY late campaign bump. Every major Kickstarter has a late campaign bump, so $3M is locked. $3.5M, I am not sure about. Project Eternity is about 200k ahead of where Double Fine Adventure was when it had 5 days to go ($2.45M), but Double Fine had a really strong final day of over $400k. I don't think the either of these final stretch goals are going to drive pledges for Project Eternity in the same way, so the guys at Obsidian better have something else up their sleeve if they want to get to $3.5M and beyond.
A second big city (I assume, essentially doubling the length of the game?) wouldn't have an effect on pledges? I would have thought it would have, I hope it does anyway, two cities would be great.

They're also doing a live stream for the final hours, hopefully that will encourage some last minute pledges as well.

duckroll

The new stretch goals are pretty amazing too. I think we're most likely getting the 3 million one, but the 3.5 million goal might be a little hard to reach. Hopefully we'll get it, but at this point there's so much good shit I won't feel too bad if we miss that. It'll probably be in the expansion if it's missed anyway. :D

Visceir

That screenshot.
Chris Roberts is giving space sims another go.
A publisher puts out a great X-Com successor.

What is happening?

It's the 20 year effect. Everything that was cool in the 90s is coming back and all the people who grew up during that time are now in the position to make important calls.

Top Bottom