• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity by Obsidian Entertainment (Kickstarter) [Up: Teaser]

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
Well I have doubled up my pledge from 90 dollars to 185 to get the expansion and extra copy of Wasteland 2. That screenshot just justified the upgrade for me.

Violet_0

Banned
Never got round to playing NWN2, I'm curious - how did they do the stronghold in that game?

Similar to how it handled in DA Awakening, if I remember correctly. Throughout the game you can help improve the defenses of Crossroad keep, convince merchants to move there and open shops, improve roads and the farmland around the keep and form an alliance with one of the NPC races (Lizardmen, for example) who will help you in the final siege battle near the end of the game. NWN2 wasn't a particularly great game, however (with the exception of MotB).

Jasoneyu

Very interesting, curious how 2d unity games look like with this similar appoach. Does anyone know any games that utilize the unity 2 portion to some extent?

Similar to how it handled in DA Awakening, if I remember correctly. Throughout the game you can help improve the defenses of Crossroad keep, convince merchants to move there and open shops, improve roads and the farmland around the keep and form an alliance with one of the NPC races (Lizardmen, for example) who will help you in the final siege battle near the end of the game. NWN2 wasn't a particularly great game, however (with the exception of MotB).

Thanks for the rundown, sounds decent enough. I thought those aspects of Awakening were handled well enough too, for an expansion pack.

zkylon

zkylewd
Very interesting, curious how 2d unity games look like with this similar appoach. Does anyone know any games that utilize the unity 2 portion to some extent?
Unity's default 2D capabilities are pretty limited, but there are plenty cool extensions you can install to allow stuff like parallax, scaling, etc. I'm betting they're using one of those (as an investment it probably is like 1000$, so it's not really terrible). They're using Unity because it makes for easy Mac/Win porting (and now Linux, apparently) and it has a pretty kickass editor, as far as free engines go (they'll probably buy Unity Pro licenses though).

Kimaka

That screenshot looks so good.

I'm interested to see how big of a push this can get in the last few days. $3 million is guaranteed but I'm not so sure if it can hit $3.5 million.

That screenshot looks so good.

I'm interested to see how big of a push this can get in the last few days. $3 million is guaranteed but I'm not so sure if it can hit $3.5 million.

Yeah, I think Double Fine managed to raise around $800,000 in their last 5 days, which was pretty great. If they succeed in matching that final surge, they still wouldn't get to 3.5.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Perfect response.

That shot right after subversus is like "could be a shit shot"... epic.

I don't think I've ever before felt more horrible to not be able to give money to something I won't be able to play for many months.

well, their art didn't give much hope.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
The screenshot reminds me of the hotel puzzle from The Logical Journey of the Zoombinis Deluxe edition (which is not a bad thing at all because I loved that game growing up.)

DTKT

Yeah, not sure about the 3.5 either. That seems really high but everything is possible. I predict something like 3.1 or 3.2

Raxus

Yeah, not sure about the 3.5 either. That seems really high but everything is possible. I predict something like 3.1 or 3.2

These goal posts I swear...

At least they won't be adding any more tempting stretch goals so I can stop fretting over what everyone might miss out on.

Zeliard

If nothing else, I don't think they could have picked a much better final stretch goal to try and get that much money.

And the timing is right for it too, since the big final spikes tend to start around this point.

If they don't hit $3.5 million by the end of the drive I think they can reach it with post-Kickstarter Paypal payments, anyway. Hopefully they'll take that into consideration.

Sentenza

Holy hell that almost looks like artwork. Is it 3d or 2d (probably stupid question)?
2D backdrops and 3D characters and monsters, like Temple of the Elemental Evil.

EDIT: Damn, you edited your question when I was quoting and answering it.

Durante

I wish I could afford to go to an even higher tier, but I pretty much pledged at my limit on the first day. I guess I can at least contribute a bit to the GAF inn.

Amazing environment, and big cities are my favourite part of CRPGs.

adixon

Yeah, I think Double Fine managed to raise around $800,000 in their last 5 days, which was pretty great. If they succeed in matching that final surge, they still wouldn't get to 3.5.

Actually, with paypal I think we would just make 3.5m (paypal currently at between 40 and 50k).

This will be probably end as the fourth best day in the kick starter. Hopefully a baseline for the final push rather than a spike. Most of the increase is also from upped pledges rather than new pledgers, which is good and bad. Hopefully some media attention can get us to 3.5 with more new pledges at high tiers.

Wish I could go to five, and I probably will be able to in a few months, but alas, not how it works, and 250 is more than I should be spending in my state as it is. It is up to the rest of you!

adixon

This will be probably end as the fourth best day in the kick starter. Hopefully a baseline for the final push rather than a spike. Most of the increase is also from upped pledges rather than new pledgers, which is good and bad. Hopefully some media attention can get us to 3.5 with more new pledges at high tiers.

Wish I could go to five, and I probably will be able to in a few months, but alas, not how it works, and 250 is more than I should be spending in my state as it is. It is up to the rest of you!

Actually, the number of new backers per hour on a normal (good) day was like 25. For the past few hours its been between 100 and 150 (per hour).

Seems like screenshots do a good job of convincing the unconvinced :)

Tess3ract

Banned
If everyone under $165 tier increase their pledge by $20 to get expansion pack (which they eventually will once the game releases!), that'll be $580,000, bumping it to $3.2 million!

Might as well make that jump now!
I can only afford to go to 20, but you have to be at the 165 range in order to get the expac I thought?

Zeliard

No, you can manage your pledge increasing it by 20$ but maintaining the same reward tier adding the expansion to your previous rewards.

And as general info, you can do that with all of the following:

Digital Add-Ons (Require $20 tier and above):

• Digital Download of Expansion Pack +$20 (included in tiers $165 and above)
  • Digital Download of World Almanac +$15 (include in tiers $50 and above)
  • Digital Strategy Guide +$7 (included in tiers $80 and above)
  • Early Access Beta Key +$25 (included in tiers $110 and above)
  • Extra Digital Download of the Game +$25
  • Extra Three Digital Downloads of the Game +$60

Physical Add-Ons (Require Physical Tier: $65, $100, $140, and $250+):

• Project Eternity Mouse Pad +$15 (included in physical above tiers $140 and above)
  • Black Project Eternity T-Shirt +$25 (included in physical above tiers $100 and above)
  • Black Obsidian T-Shirt +$25

My maths are unsophisticated, and I am just using kicktraq, so there might be better resources. But today vs yesterday we are up 30000 in donations with the same approximate number of new pledges

So your number is a good sign that newbies are coming in. But I'm baselessly speculating that a large portion of the plus 30k is upped pledges. Possible also that newbies are high rollers.

Anyways, new pledge rate is good news, as many hours still in the day, and other timezones as well.

Leckan

No, you can manage your pledge increasing it by 20$ but maintaining the same reward tier adding the expansion to your previous rewards.

So you change your pledge to $40 even if you stay with the $20 option and you'll get the expansion? Does it confirm that you get it?

kswiston

My maths are unsophisticated, and I am just using kicktraq, so there might be better resources. But today vs yesterday we are up 30000 in donations with the same approximate number of new pledges

So your number is a good sign that newbies are coming in. But I'm baselessly speculating that a large portion of the plus 30k is upped pledges. Possible also that newbies are high rollers.

Anyways, new pledge rate is good news, as many hours still in the day, and other timezones as well.

I doubt the average new pledge today has been $125 (considering the overall average is less than $50), so I'd say that you are right in assuming that the extra money is likely from existing backers bumping up their pledges.

holy fuck that screenshot is awesome. fucking perfect

So you change your pledge to $40 even if you stay with the $20 option and you'll get the expansion? Does it confirm that you get it?

I think you'll manually choose what reward you wanted for the extra 20 dollars on a survey after the kickstarter is completed.

Top Bottom