• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity by Obsidian Entertainment (Kickstarter) [Up: Teaser]

The new stretch goals are pretty amazing too. I think we're most likely getting the 3 million one, but the 3.5 million goal might be a little hard to reach. Hopefully we'll get it, but at this point there's so much good shit I won't feel too bad if we miss that. It'll probably be in the expansion if it's missed anyway. :D

I love the idea of two massive cities! Travel between them would be awesome.

dude

dude
Just read the lore. Very, very nice. I really like the attention to details - Narcotics, soul storms.. This is some interesting setting. I like that I'm getting Almanac.

Minsc

Gold Member
Really, really impressed with the screenshot. Looks amazing, and very intriguing, makes me want to play the game :)

I like the sound of a second city a lot, favorite stretch goal so far, and hope that if it doesn't manage the 3.5m it still makes its way in via the expansion as well (which probably would make a lot of sense - an easy way for them to add another 20+ hours of gameplay).

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
It's the 20 year effect. Everything that was cool in the 90s is coming back and all the people who grew up during that time are now in the position to make important calls.

this wouldn't happen without digital distribution and social networks. But yes, these people have money now.

Digoman

Can't really add to much to my pledge, but I'm going to at least add the expansion pack after this update.

The lore is helping to give the world a little "shape", the Almanac sounds nice and that environment screenshot...... soooo beautiful.

This was an important update for the final stretch and I think it's safe to say Obsidian really got it right.

If we get to $3.5m it will be awesome but if not, well, I'm already really happy with the goals met (specially if we get that Stronghold).

Just read the lore. Very, very nice. I really like the attention to details - Narcotics, soul storms.. This is some interesting setting. I like that I'm getting Almanac.

I like the idea of the Almanac... But I think I'd rather learn about the game world in the game itself. That screenshot alone has awakened the old BG sense of wonder and desire to explore and discover... :D

Everything is great, Project Eternity is getting a lot of money, it has a dream team and it will probably be awesome.

But then I saw something, and started raging.

n0P9N.jpg

Argh. A horror rpg by Obsidian would have been great.

I think it'll make $3 million pretty easily. $3.5 million seems like a genuine stretch. Hopefully it makes it but I wonder if they maybe should have had some other stretch goal in between 3 and 3.5 million? Just to keep people motivated to pledge at least in the final hours with a goal thats in reach. Like if they're at the cusp of some stretch goal near the end you might get more people upping their pledges whereas if you're more than $100k away people might just be content with what they've got. I recall Dead State had that at the end where they were really close to a stretch goal and within the last few minutes somebody pledged something like $10k.

Really curious to see how the characters look in screenshots too. The environments in IE games still look good to this day but I'm wondering how they've been able to improve the character models.

I think it'll make $3 million pretty easily. $3.5 million seems like a genuine stretch. Hopefully it makes it but I wonder if they maybe should have had some other stretch goal in between 3 and 3.5 million? Just to keep people motivated to pledge at least in the final hours with a goal thats in reach. Like if they're at the cusp of some stretch goal near the end you might get more people upping their pledges whereas if you're more than $100k away people might just be content with what they've got. I recall Dead State had that at the end where they were really close to a stretch goal and within the last few minutes somebody pledged something like $10k.

Yeah, if it's $3.4 million, they should atleast try to make it possible. :3

kswiston

A second big city (I assume, essentially doubling the length of the game?) wouldn't have an effect on pledges? I would have thought it would have, I hope it does anyway, two cities would be great.

They're also doing a live stream for the final hours, hopefully that will encourage some last minute pledges as well.

I'm sure it will have an effect. However, they need to match Double Fine's final 5 days to hit it. For Comparison. Both Double Fine Adventures and Wasteland 2 were at around the same pledge with 5 days to go ($2.45M). Double Fine made another $850k+ in their last 5 days, while Wasteland 2 made $546k. Project Eternity is about $200k ahead of both projects by this point. It could hit $3.5M, but I don't think it is a lock yet. We're definitely getting that stronghold though.

Zeliard

It's certain to hit $3 million given the boost in pledges these big Kickstarters always get nearing the end.

$3.5 million is going to be tricky.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
It fucking sucks I don't have the money right now to pledge, but I'll be sure to buy the game whenever it releases. That screenshot is beyond gorgeous.

Zeliard

They should open it up for pre-order Paypal funding after the pledge drive is over, as some other Kickstarters have done. There are always the Johnny-Come-Latelies, and the whole Kickstarter funding length is pretty arbitrary anyway.

I'm sure it will have an effect. However, they need to match Double Fine's final 5 days to hit it. For Comparison. Both Double Fine Adventures and Wasteland 2 were at around the same pledge with 5 days to go ($2.45M). Double Fine made another $850k+ in their last 5 days, while Wasteland 2 made $546k. Project Eternity is about $200k ahead of both projects by this point. It could hit $3.5M, but I don't think it is a lock yet. We're definitely getting that stronghold though.

It will indeed have an effect, but the effect might be positive. Looking at it, there are 79 pledges for NPC, 38 for weapon, 7 for custom portrait, 2 for adventuring group and 3 for Inn. It'll be pretty straight forward to split these up in two cities.

EDIT: Completely forgot paypal! Are they counting the paypal pledges as well? Shouldn't that bump this up by a lot?

dude

dude
I like the idea of the Almanac... But I think I'd rather learn about the game world in the game itself. That screenshot alone has awakened the old BG sense of wonder and desire to explore and discover... :D

Well, I just like the idea of being able to run some PnP games with it. I really like the direction of the world, it's like a more interesting Forgotten Realms.

kswiston

I'm trying to think of rpgs with two major cities, but I keep getting stuck on MMOs. Anyone remember some single player games that had two Baldur's Gate sized cities for comparison?

dude

dude
I'm trying to think of rpgs with two major cities, but I keep getting stuck on MMOs. Anyone remember some single player games that had two Baldur's Gate sized cities for comparison?

There were none as far as I know. This is pretty much unprecedented.

dude

dude
Pledges have been flying since he screenshot... We might actually have a shot at that 3.5 million tier if we include Paypal.

We know that the Paypal, as of yesterday's update, was at least 50k... So we're almost past 2.7 million already.

kswiston

It will indeed have an effect, but the effect might be positive. Looking at it, there are 79 pledges for NPC, 38 for weapon, 7 for custom portrait, 2 for adventuring group and 3 for Inn. It'll be pretty straight forward to split these up in two cities.

EDIT: Completely forgot paypal! Are they counting the paypal pledges as well? Shouldn't that bump this up by a lot?

Good point regarding the custom npcs and inns.

Wasteland 2 made about $110k off of Paypal donation by the time their Kickstarter ended, but I think they may have implemented a Paypal alternative earlier in their campaign than Project Eternity did. Still, $50-100k through Paypal could make the difference between getting that second city or not. Good point.

wrowa

Incredible. My expectations have been positively crushed! Hopefully they'll be able to keep that level of detail through the whole game.

Now, might the end boost begin.

zkylon

zkylewd

They were ~30k a few days ago, so I don't think it'll be a real game changer.

Ugh, 80$ is already a pretty big stretch for me but that 3.5m stretch goal is tempting me get an add-on at least. I'm gonna get a call from the bank lol...

dude

dude
They were ~30k a few days ago, so I don't think it'll be a real game changer.

Ugh, 80$ is already a pretty big stretch for me but that 3.5m stretch goal is tempting me get an add-on at least. I'm gonna get a call from the bank lol...

When they announced breaking the 2.6M stretch goal, it was at around 2.55k, so we can assume they have at least 50k.

Zeliard

The player house/stronghold stuff doesn't particularly interest me all that much. It's cool enough but it's not a concept that has ever really excited me in a game, though there's always a first time for everything, I suppose.

The second huge city, however - now that's enticing. And The Ziets, too. That's a mighty stretch goal.

And these lore tidbits sound pretty cool:

"biamhac - The most feared phenomenon of Eír Glanfath, biamhacs are "spirit winds" that rise up in cursed ruins, shearing souls away from the bodies of their owners. They appear suddenly and without warning, leaving victims little hope of escape. Strong-souled people are not harmed by biamhacs, but affected individuals are instantly reduced to a catatonic state. The discovery of numerous biamhacs in Eír Glanfath during its early exploration resulted in thousands of Aedyr deaths."

"svef - Svef is the Aedyran name for a potent narcotic produced from the berries of small shrub that grows in the dry, distant mountains of Tal Kness. Svef produces hallucinations and, according to some, allows users to actually see their own soul. The narcotic was introduced to the Aedyr long ago, but it is used more frequently in the Dyrwood due to its heavy trafficking by Vailian merchants."

Biamhacs are presumably going to be an enemy type. Curious what the application of the svef will be. I smell a side quest!

Lusankya

If we get to $3.5m it will be awesome but if not, well, I'm already really happy with the goals met (specially if we get that Stronghold).

Don't forget that they can still receive money via PayPal even after the Kickstarter campaign is finished. We will get that second big city, trust me. ;)

I hope you get your stronghold a little earlier; it really made NWN2 get going, which makes it a pity it came in so late.

obligatory posts per page joke

Thanks, I needed a good laugh... :p

As for Strongholds, I guess it's a fine line - they represent power and position, which usually doesn't come until later in a story arc. You don't want to ruin the player's sense of progression too quickly. Given we'll have a house as well, it wouldn't surprise me at all if the Stronghold is a later game feature.

Never got round to playing NWN2, I'm curious - how did they do the stronghold in that game?

Sentenza

Well, that's pretty good, but I never doubted their ability to offer good looking 2D backdrops, even just because that's not particularly hard to nail.
On the other hand, I was hoping to see at least a first tentative for character models and/or monsters, in this first screenshot... Because that's pretty much what I am more concerned about when it comes to this game's visual appeal.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
even just because that's not particularly hard to nail.
Disagree.

any decent artist worthy of having a paid job in this industry can make a 2D (mostly) static backdrop that looks good
Disagree. It's a game environment, not mere concept art, considerations have to be made for far more than just being pleasant to the sight (while keeping that!), especially if it's really a 2D game, ie, without player camera control. It's also possible they're using 3D art too. And I think this could be better too but it's early days, I'm sure things like the water rendering will improve.

Sentenza

Disagree.
Well, I stand my opinion, because pretty much any decent artist worthy of having a paid job in this industry can make a 2D (mostly) static backdrop that looks good enough to be pleasant to the sight.
And just to be clear I'm not complaining. This is already more than good enough to me. Simply, as I said, I was way more interested in (and concerned about) 3D models for characters and monsters.

szaromir

Banned
I think it's smart of them to announce the $3.5M stretch goal now. People will mentally prepare themselves to increase their pledge on the final day if it's needed to help hit that level. I guess getting a preorder on the expansion pack by adding $20 doesn't hurt with that. :)

So my bet is that $3.5M will be achieved.

Quite a screen----if the musical score for the game can match pace with that sort of visual fidelity then this is going to be quite a thing indeed.

I wonder if they'll come up with some oddball mini-stretch goals to help bridge the gap to 3.5 in the last several hours? Some sort of Everything Has a Soul mode where you can somehow play as pretty well anything in the game like a Bear or some such for an even more esoteric experience than the other challenge modes.

Getting to 3.5 seems possible, but the more crazy they can heap on at the end here...so much the better.

Zeliard

I think it's smart of them to announce the $3.5M stretch goal now. People will mentally prepare themselves to increase their pledge on the final day if it's needed to help hit that level. I guess getting a preorder on the expansion pack by adding $20 doesn't hurt with that. :)

So my bet is that $3.5M will be achieved.

They've been really smart with the pledge tiers throughout, adding stuff to various pledges over time as well as offering the ability to upgrade your existing pledge with certain things.

Top Bottom