• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity by Obsidian Entertainment (Kickstarter) [Up: Teaser]

RJT

The GAF Inn campaign is picking up, and is currently at 63%. Please contribute if you haven't already! How awesome would a Gaf Inn be?

In the words of the man itself:

EviLore said:
Half of the city wants to get in, the other half hates the place after being barred from it. Everyone inside doesn't leave.

Staying is free, but unrealistically long waiting list to get in, circumvented only by knowing someone and having them sponsor you with the mysterious thrill-seeking owner who has the powerful Tome of Evil Lore in his possession.

Various factions of the game world all represented on neutral ground, tenuous peace and intellectual discourse encouraged by the staff, including the harlequin, the eloquent nine fingered man, the foreigner with contacts to the Far East, the journalist with the inside scoop on current events, the monk who has transcended all human emotion, and the girl obsessed with belts and zippers.

Bar fights breaking out at times between faction extremists, only to be quashed violently by the brutal, zero tolerance Bishop of Tranquility and Love.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
I think the idea of the bard (or chanter) being more literary than musical is really smart when you have a bunch of writers on the team famous for being good at what they do. The music aspect of bards is always so underwhelming in games, click a button and hear a few insipid measures of guitar strumming with your party buff, but a literary bard could make for a really awesome companion if well written.
I always played bards as skalds when I played them, so this is great for me.

adixon

Literally from the original pitch, on the main project eternity homepage:

We’ve also designed the game to have a flexible budget and scope, so if we reach our target budget goal, we have a list great stuff we can add into the mix through stretch goals. And, additional money we raise will go straight into the game to add new levels, companions, NPCs, features, and even entirely new parts of the world which will add hours and hours to the adventure.

A bigger budget has always meant getting a bigger game, more areas to explore, etc. What they choose to announce as a stretch goal is just whatever they think might draw in the most new pledges. Stretch goals are like extra promises you make to get people more excited about a project -- they aren't the be all end all of what will end up in the game by a long shot!

Is it weird for me to be worried there have only been 3 out of 6 takers so far for the enemy party reward?

Well, five grand is a lot of money (as we're finding out!). Also, I wouldn't be surprised a few of the wealthier potential backers are waiting till the last moment to throw down.

adixon

Also, they added in the enemy party tier way into the project, after funding had slowed a lot. So the best chance to fill those slots is indeed during the very end rush.

~Kinggi~

Banned
damn, that 20$ expansion update is a good move. Pricey enough to make a difference but cheap enough for me to think about it. Im at the 20$ level so 40$ for the game and expansion sounds decent. I bet that is exactly what they want. Ways to get all those hanging on to the 20$ level thats sold out to move upwards.

SaberVulcan

damn, that 20$ expansion update is a good move. Pricey enough to make a difference but cheap enough for me to think about it. Im at the 20$ level so 40$ for the game and expansion sounds decent. I bet that is exactly what they want. Ways to get all those hanging on to the 20$ level thats sold out to move upwards.

Mhm. Im gonna add it. Do I just change my $20 to $40, and they will add on the expansion pack?

~Kinggi~

Banned
Mhm. Im gonna add it. Do I just change my $20 to $40, and they will add on the expansion pack?

Seems like the way they know what add-ons you want is by the amount of money you go over your chosen reward. So if you are 20$ over the reward you picked they will automatically know you want the expansion.

SaberVulcan

Seems like the way they know what add-ons you want is by the amount of money you go over your chosen reward. So if you are 20$ over the reward you picked they will automatically know you want the expansion.

Thats what I thought, but then I was looking at the other rewards, and there are 4 different rewards for + $25 (Beta, game key, and 2 shirts) so unless they give all (or just 2 if you were a "digital backer")for that particular value, yeah.

Oh well, theres nothing else for +$20 so they can figure it out.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Thats what I thought, but then I was looking at the other rewards, and there are 4 different rewards for + $25 (Beta, game key, and 2 shirts) so unless they give all (or just 2 if you were a "digital backer")for that particular value, yeah.

Oh well, theres nothing else for +$20 so they can figure it out.

Hmm that is confusing. Best then i can think is that they ask you later on what you want if you donated more than the reward...

SaberVulcan

How do you add to the pledge just manage pledge. I am at the 20 dollar level I might want to move up to 40.

As a quick tutorial on how to add add-ons, goto the Project Eternity site on Kickstarter and then hit the Manage Your Pledge button. The reward tier you had already selected will still be selected and the amount will be in the big box at the top. All you need to do is add the dollar amount that covers the add-ons you would like to your pledge and enter the new total number. For instance, if you are at the $35 Pledge level and want to add one Digital Download, you would enter $60 as your total pledge.

Edit:
Hmm that is confusing. Best then i can think is that they ask you later on what you want if you donated more than the reward...

Yeah, maybe. If thats the case I feel bad for the PR guys xD.

Lot of pledges stuff, you can now also get the expansion for 20 extra bucks, which seems a little too expensive to me, I imagine the game itself will be like 20-30 bucks...
I don't know- you figure the lowest price you can get the game on Kickstarter that's not a special rate is $35. They note the $25 pledge has the game cheaper than it'll be at release. If the main game is $30-$40 and the expack around $20-30, that would make sense to me. As I remember a lot of the Infinity engine game expansion packs were around $20-30.

dude

dude
They'll just send out a survey for which Add-On you want if it's not clear from how much money you put. That's not something I would worry about :)

Tomorrow we're getting a screen shot, right?

~Kinggi~

Banned
They'll just send out a survey for which Add-On you want if it's not clear from how much money you put. That's not something I would worry about :)

Tomorrow we're getting a screen shot, right?

Yeah. That screen gonna be important for them, good or bad.

Well, five grand is a lot of money (as we're finding out!). Also, I wouldn't be surprised a few of the wealthier potential backers are waiting till the last moment to throw down.

They are closely watching the GAF inn thread, waiting to poach if we can't make up the 5 grand. You know what to do. When we have it all sewed up the others will have no choice in what to purchase.

dude

dude
Yeah. That screen gonna be important for them, good or bad.

If they can capture the loo of old IE games, which I believe is they're intention, it could be huge. Most IE games still look great even today, so they don't need to stray far from that.

I think we'll see a big bump after the screenshot :)

PFD

I'm seriously considering upping my early-bird $20 pledge to the digital only $165 tier.

Wasteland 2, Expansion, early Beta...

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Give me the option to add the expansion pack to my pledge (like the beta and the strategy guide) and I'll happily increase my pledge.

Got my wish.

$140 tier + $20 for expansion pack. Works for me!

Ithil

Literally from the original pitch, on the main project eternity homepage:

A bigger budget has always meant getting a bigger game, more areas to explore, etc. What they choose to announce as a stretch goal is just whatever they think might draw in the most new pledges. Stretch goals are like extra promises you make to get people more excited about a project -- they aren't the be all end all of what will end up in the game by a long shot!

They explained that a bigger budget means they hire more people to make this added stuff, rather than delay the game (like how Double Fine Adventure was going to take about 6 months with 3-4 people making it when first announced, but when they had 3 million as a budget it changed to a year and a half with a full team and a documentary crew). Obsidian plan for early 2014, no matter what.

An extra 150,000 is a full salary for a talented new artist, for instance. Pretty good use of resources.

AHA-Lambda

So if I understand it correctly in order to get the $20 expansion add-on, I have to just change my pledge amount by increasing it $20 but not change the reward tier, yes?

Herla

Everything is great, Project Eternity is getting a lot of money, it has a dream team and it will probably be awesome.

But then I saw something, and started raging.

n0P9N.jpg

Lime

Everything is great, Project Eternity is getting a lot of money, it has a dream team and it will probably be awesome.

http://i.imgur.com/n0P9N.jpg[img][/QUOTE]

Why the rage? Both Witcher games were great and I doubt Obsidian would (at least) have made a more visually impressive game than TW2, along with the impressive value of the Enhanced Edition, digital artwork, free games, and no DRM (not to sound like I'm astroturfing).

Best scenario would have been if both Obsidian and CDProjekt Red were allowed to use the IP.

EDIT: Nvm, thought White Wolf referred to the Witcher IP.

Lancehead

Why the rage? Both Witcher games were great and I doubt Obsidian would (at least) have made a more visually impressive game than TW2, along with the impressive value of the Enhanced Edition, digital artwork, free games, and no DRM (not to sound like I'm astroturfing).

Best scenario would have been if both Obsidian and CDProjekt Red were allowed to use the IP.

Huh, it's CCP not CDPR.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap

n0P9N.jpg

oh no

nononononononononono

FUCK

I hate CCP.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap

n0P9N.jpg

Avellone was tweeting about writing for vampires one or two years ago.

rage.png

Durante

I just noticed that they have now reached the initial goal with just the backers pledging $35 or less. This may say something about the long-term viability of the kickstarter model after the people pledging in the higher reward tiers have run out of motivation (or money).

szaromir

Banned
I just noticed that they have now reached the initial goal with just the backers pledging $35 or less. This may say something about the long-term viability of the kickstarter model after the people pledging in the higher reward tiers have run out of motivation (or money).

When will DF Adventure come out? I know that initially they wanted to release the game by October/November, but since they got nearly an order of magnitude more money they decided to take more time with it. 2013 will probably prove a dry spell for 'big' kickstartert project at least until the first wave of already funded KS games gets released.

Phandy

Lets say I have the $20 basic reward.
If I want to add Early access + Expansion.

Early access is 25 extra
Expansion is 20 extra

Do I just add $25 dollars,
or do I add 45 for both?

Top Bottom