• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity by Obsidian Entertainment (Kickstarter) [Up: Teaser]

Zeliard

So you change your pledge to $40 even if you stay with the $20 option and you'll get the expansion? Does it confirm that you get it?

You just add the dollar amount to your existing pledge. They'll confirm what you wanted after the pledge drive is over.

So you change your pledge to $40 even if you stay with the $20 option and you'll get the expansion? Does it confirm that you get it?

Yes. They will contact you to confirm what you want for that $20.

Saw this posted on RPG Codex:

couldnthelpmaselfcopya5yfg.jpg

Oh my god! That is so amazing!

Terra_Ex

Gosh, you just can't sell those older rpgs nowadays, it's all about dialogue wheels, awesome buttons and cinematics and... and...
couldnthelpmaselfcopya5yfg.jpg

Damn.

Looking good so far, fighting the urge to invest in that expansion pack right now.

adixon

My maths are unsophisticated, and I am just using kicktraq, so there might be better resources. But today vs yesterday we are up 30000 in donations with the same approximate number of new pledges

So your number is a good sign that newbies are coming in. But I'm baselessly speculating that a large portion of the plus 30k is upped pledges. Possible also that newbies are high rollers.

Anyways, new pledge rate is good news, as many hours still in the day, and other timezones as well.

approximately the same number of new backers... but with another 7 hours of prime time to go in the kicktraq day.

The 30k difference you mentioned is definitely partially due to people upping their pledges (a third of it comes from one new 10k backer from a little while ago), but believe me, the backer rate in the past 3 hours or so has accelerated past anything since the first few days.

Zeliard

Fuck it, I'm adding the expansion. My wallet is weeping, weeping.

Need more weepers.

It must reach 3.5, you hear? Another large city won't be just a large environment - it'll be a massive amount of additional content. Perhaps something like an expansion's worth.

adixon

Also, wouldn't that make this the only infinity engine game to manage two big cities? Would make the world feel a lot more expansive.

Phandy

That screenshot, is awesome. I expected as much though, people really seem to always forget the power of pre-rendered stuff. I mean look at all these good reactions, from a pretty merely 'good' 3d render.

I do love it though just because it lets me know they are doing pre-rendered backgrounds, which is super great. You get so much creative control and ability to do amazing things with the environments.

Also increasing my backing to include the expansion and maybe up to the beta, its such a good deal. $165 is so much though!

KKRT00

I do love it though just because it lets me know they are doing pre-rendered backgrounds, which is super great. You get so much creative control and ability to do amazing things with the environments.

Yep and You're locked into one resolution and lack of interaction with environments, also animating world is pain in the ass.

adixon

Yep and You're locked into one resolution and lack of interaction with environments, also animating world is pain in the ass.

Seems like they picked a good resolution, then :p

Seriously though, every graphical engine has strengths and weaknesses. At least for the infinity engine games, this approach seems to work pretty well.

PaulLFC

Anyone think the strategy guide is worth the extra $7? Wondering if it'll contain any developer interviews or behind the scenes stuff like some guides for retail games do, but I suppose most of that is in the various tiers in some form.

adixon

Anyone think the strategy guide is worth the extra $7? Wondering if it'll contain any developer interviews or behind the scenes stuff like some guides for retail games do, but I suppose most of that is in the various tiers in some form.

The only behind the scenes things they've talked about is at the 35 dollar tier. It's just a section in a book, I think.

*edit* lol ^^

DTKT

I really like the statues. There is something slightly creepy about them. Yet, they are beautiful.

Let's just wait 2 years to find out...

Phandy

If the area is only the size of one screen, I guess. All of the old IE games can be modded to modern resolutions.

That doesn't matter. Altering the resolution of the game doesn't affect the resolution of the render.. its the render that has a fixed resolution; which is very nice to work with. Upping the res in the old infinity engine games is simply like having a greater FOV.

DTKT

I like their demonic, quasi-skeletal smiles and faces.

I bet it has something to do with souls. In fact, I bet those two statues represent humans without souls! See the empty chest cavities and the half-skull faces!

Damn, if they can push the concept of souls, it's going to make for some really interesting stuff.

That doesn't matter. Altering the resolution of the game doesn't affect the resolution of the render.. its the render that has a fixed resolution; which is very nice to work with. Upping the res in the old infinity engine games is simply like having a greater FOV.

It's functionally the same as changing the resolution, because everything is smaller and you can fit more on your screen at once, even if nothing is changing with the render. It's not like a game like FF VII, where you're stuck with a pre-rendered backgrounds that look terrible on modern monitors, which is what I though he was implying. Seeing the full scope of the environments in a game like PS:T is a real treat.
But yeah, every format has it's advantages and drawbacks, and it's too bad that this style has been almost totally abandoned, because it can look gorgeous.

They've stated this will be a full on strat guide, and not some flimsy throw in

~Kinggi~

Banned
Upped my pledge. That screen is too hot. That's exactly the type of look i want out of this. I think it was smart making the big goal so far away cause then maybe some people who wouldnt have donated will chip in to reach the goal. High profile stuff like this always benefit from big goals like that.

Still doubtful it will make it though...

Minsc

Gold Member

BG:EE fixes this problem and lets you use any resolution with variable zoom, so you can run it in 1600x1200 with the same visible area as the original 640x480 resolution (or pull the camera back and see more). So this shouldn't be an issue these days.

I seriously doubt Project Eternity will only run in one resolution.

Phandy

BG:EE fixes this problem and lets you use any resolution with variable zoom, so you can run it in 1600x1200 with the same visible area as the original 640x480 resolution (or pull the camera back and see more). So this shouldn't be an issue these days.

I seriously doubt Project Eternity will only run in one resolution.

Oh thats cool. I wasn't really saying it was an issue though.
But doesn't that still create problems when you are effectively scaling up very low res background images? Or have they re-rendered all the background for nicer resolution?

I think people are getting a little confused, atleast I thought he meant it was an advantage it is locked in 1 resolution - in terms of rendering. As in the rendering of the background image is just a fixed-res single image. Which obviously comes with a whole host of benefits graphically/artistically.

I loved the screenshot. Would like to see 3d characters in it, but I can wait for that.

But when I saw the BGII photo shop. Oh my! Absolute perfection.

So the question for me is: is that water going to animate?

The Obsidian CEO was answering a few questions in the Kickstarter comments section and he said yeah absolutely, they'll be animating as much as they can within the world starting with whatever key features are in each map and then working down the priority order. He also said that there will be butterflies, fish, birds, leaves and debris effects etc added as filters. Sounds like, all things considered, it should be looking pretty tasty.

kswiston

Over 1000 new backers and close to $115k for today so far. If this isn't just a spike and the momentum keeps up, I think we will hit that $3.5M mark.

oipic

Golly - must join the chorus in saying how wonderful this screenshot is. Beautiful.

Tempted to set it as my wallpaper, but that may make the wait all that much more difficult.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Hi res pre-rendered backgrounds, so nice.

I love that style. I dont know why more folks dont do it. Is it actually harder to do? Or is it just not "3d" so pubs wont back it? I imagine it would be easier. Taking anything to dress up in photoshop is always easier then having to make it look good in real-time.

dude

dude
I love that style. I dont know why more folks dont do it. Is it actually harder to do? Or is it just not "3d" so pubs wont back it? I imagine it would be easier. Taking anything to dress up in photoshop is always easier then having to make it look good in real-time.

It's problematic in games with free cameras... And there are very few games with locked cameras today.

Top Bottom