• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity by Obsidian Entertainment (Kickstarter) [Up: Teaser]

mclem

They've been really smart with the pledge tiers throughout, adding stuff to various pledges over time as well as offering the ability to upgrade your existing pledge with certain things.

I do have to say that I think this has been one of the best-organised Kickstarters. Regular bits of information, without inundating people with stuff to take in. Interesting updates. Good announcements. Nicely-planned stretch goals.

dude

dude
Because, seriously, who used Valygirl and Aerie?

What? Aerie is one of the best support character in the early game, and Valygar is pretty badass.

Nalia is pretty useless, but I usually have her around for at least her quest since usually I haven't recruited the better guys yet.

If anyone, Jaheira is the useless one in that party.

~Kinggi~

Banned
We should be adding a 6th and 7th level to the dungeon within the next day or so. Might get to an 8th or 9 in the final days. Would be sweet to have an even 10 though.

What? Aerie is one of the best support character in the early game, and Valygar is pretty badass.

Nalia is pretty useless, but I usually have her around for at least her quest since usually I haven't recruited the better guys yet.

This is the only time I use her. Then it's back to the Copper Coronet for her to rot in the slums with Anomen.

Taruranto

What? Aerie is one of the best support character in the early game,

CRAWLING IN MY WIIINGSSSSSS.

and Valygar is pretty badass.

Most boring character together with Cern.

She's a good replacement for Imoen until you get to spellhold.

I agree that the lack of Minsc and Boo is a sad sight, though.

dude

dude
CRAWLING IN MY WIIINGSSSSSS.
She's the game's waifu, gotta have one dude.

Most boring character together with Cern.
He has some badass lines and is a pretty cool ranger. Cern is boring though, boring as fuck.

She's a good replacement for Imoen until you get to spellhold.
Yeah, she also kinda looks like her.

I agree that the lack of Minsc and Boo is a sad sight, though.
Where's Haer'Dalis or Edwin? How can you go through a game without Edwin, man.

This is the only time I use her. Then it's back to the Copper Coronet for her to rot in the slums with Anomen.
Anomen is one of the best characters in the game, no joke.

Someone on /v/ fixed it with a better party.

6l60F.jpg

Because, seriously, who used Valygirl and Aerie?

Hope you are okay with Keldorn tearing your party up like an asshole.

Perkel

Banned
Jaheira useless.. useless...

didn't she have summon mountain bears ?

TIL people playing BG2 don't know what is summon mountain bears.

4 Mountain bears killed Irenicus.

Higher quality version

That is beautiful!
Even more so if it animates :D

Lore stuff is awesome!

Vailians - Most Vailians come from the Vailian Republics, a federation of independent city-states made up of former colonies from the Grand Empire of Vailia. They are a powerful mercantile force in the southern hemisphere, trading with more partners than any other nation or empire. Five cities are considered "grand" republics and have greater voting power in their electoral council: Spirento, Ancenze, Selona, Ozia, and Revua. The federation is widely known for its access to most major commodities in the world, including slaves, and for its habit of impressing (abducting) foreigners into service on their naval vessels. Ethnic Vailians (humans and a small number of dwarves) have dark brown skin and tightly spiraled, dark brown hair. They most commonly have brown or black eyes, but occasionally have green, hazel, or grey eyes. Vailians pride themselves on their well-made and intricately-decorated clothing, often made with rare materials and dyes to which they have easy access.

Pirate nation consisting of humans and dwarves :D

Magran - The Aedyran name for a goddess of war and fire. Her priests commonly employ firearms and some helped construct the "Godhammer" bomb used to destroy St. Waidwen. Following the Saint's War, she became the most popular faith in Dyrwood. In Aedyr, her symbol is a flame, but in Dyrwood, it is a flaming bomb. Worship of Magran is extensively persecuted in Readceras.

A God that made her followers build and detonate a nuke!

mrpeabody

This is the best-planned, best-run Kickstarter I've seen so far. They clearly came in with a content release plan and a media strategy. They're pumping out new media and announcements practically every single day.

And the add-ons are so tempting. An expansion for $20? I'd be stupid NOT to buy it!

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
This is the best-planned, best-run Kickstarter I've seen so far. They clearly came in with a content release plan and a media strategy. They're pumping out new media and announcements practically every single day.

And the add-ons are so tempting. An expansion for $20? I'd be stupid NOT to buy it!
i was thinking this too. It might have started off kind of rocky in terms of promotion but everything after the first 24 hours has been absolutely masterful. Even the saving huge rewards for the final stretch is a genius move.

2.75 with Paypal.
Oh yea i forgot about Paypal.

zkylon

zkylewd
Ok, upped my pledge to $105. Holy shit this may be the most I've ever spent in a single game.

Gonna go in the reds lol.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Yeah at this pace its not making that 3.5. Will make the 3 though. Hopefully a bit a news comes or maybe people didnt see it today.

Someone needs to make sure the thread title gets updated when we in the final day.

SerRodrik

Yeah at this pace its not making that 3.5. Will make the 3 though. Hopefully a bit a news comes or maybe people didnt see it today.

Someone needs to make sure the thread title gets updated when we in the final day.

We still haven't hit the final push though. It's by no means a sure thing, but it's more likely than it seems right now.

adixon

I'm thinking it will happen. If they can get > 3 million coming out of the weekend, the two day push to 3.5 and the huge city that brings with it, is going to be epic. All the nostalgia and love for the old infinity engine games focused into one laser-like funding funsplosion.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!

i hope it does. Imagine two Sigils in one game.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Oh god im so hyped. That fucking screen i love it so much. Hey Obsidian if you reading this, the biggest crime you can commit is NOT including at least that screen in the final game. Dont be that stupid.

hswbaz

Neo Member
Question about the expansion, any chance of getting a physical copy of the expansion if I increase my pledge by the $20?

DTKT

Question about the expansion, any chance of getting a physical copy of the expansion if I increase my pledge by the $20?

Probably not. The expansion is shipping ~6 months after the main game. And with just 20$, you are not covering shipping fees. Also, there should have been something between 3.0 and 3.5. Maybe a full orchestra score at 3.2mil

dailypledges.png

2,721,362 with 778,638 to go if we're going to hit the final stretch goal.

With pretty much 4 days left, we'd need an average of 200k a day to reach it O_O

Micerider

The whole game cant look that nice...can it?

Why not? It's certainly less flexible than a full 3D engine, but they would problably have something less dynamic and for which they can afford a lot of details without spending ages on animations and shaders.

adixon

Double Fine got more than 750k in their last four days and we're tracking ahead of them right now. And they didn't even have a crazy awesome stretch goal. It will happen. Also, we have 4 days and 21 hours as of right now, so almost 5 full days.

Double Fine got more than 750k in their last four days and we're tracking ahead of them right now. And they didn't even have a crazy awesome stretch goal. It will happen.

Double Fine had a lot more backers already at this point. So it seems like many of current backers of PE have already upped their pledge. Chances that they'll raise it once more are rather slim, I guess. But who knows...

Lusankya

Double Fine got more than 750k in their last four days and we're tracking ahead of them right now. And they didn't even have a crazy awesome stretch goal. It will happen. Also, we have 4 days and 21 hours as of right now, so almost 5 full days.

Plus PayPal even after the Kickstarter campaign ends. That second city will be ours! :)

Double Fine had a lot more backers already at this point. So it seems like many of current backers of PE have already upped their pledge. Chances that they'll raise it once more are rather slim, I guess. But who knows...
They also got 12000 new backers the last four days.

adixon

Double fine had more backers because their base game tier was 15 bucks. Eternity is now 25 bucks, almost double that, so it would be crazy to match DFA backer for backer. The average pledge per backer on project eternity is $47, which is still a dollar lower than wasteland 2.

Also, the average pledge per backer didn't even go up today by a dollar (it did a day ago when they announced the expansion as an add-on, though). What happened is that twice as many new people backed today than any other of the big days so far this week. Check it out:
http://www.kicktraq.com/projects/obsidian/project-eternity/#chart-daily

1341 backers in one day. And the spike only started halfway through the day. Barring totally grinding to a halt over the weekend, I think we'll make it :)

adixon

Lol, nice assumption, but what if more people prefer a new point-and-click adventure over an isometric RPG? That could explain the difference just as much.

Not sure what to say... it's generally an acceptable assumption that when something desirable gets cheaper, more people will buy it. Measuring exactly how desirable something is, is a little bit more tricky :)

Not sure what to say... it's generally an acceptable assumption that when something desirable gets cheaper, more people will buy it. Measuring exactly how desirable something is, is a little bit more tricky :)

So more people buy cheaper Nokia smartphones because they are more desirable than iPhones? Is that what you're saying?

It's really about how people value games. I think generally speaking gamers would value RPGs higher because they offer more play time and higher replayability. Which could explain the higher average pledge for PE. The sheer number of backers I think just represents how large the market is for the type of game: point-and-click adventure vs isometric RPG.

adixon

So more people buy cheaper Nokia smartphones because they are more desirable than iPhones? Is that what you're saying?

It's really about how people value games. I think generally speaking gamers would value RPGs higher because they offer more play time and higher replayability. Which could explain the higher average pledge for PE. The sheer number of backers I think just represents how large the market is for the type of game: point-and-click adventure vs isometric RPG.

Nope, I am saying that lowering and raising prices, and the effect that has on purchases, is a central concept of economics. If a game company lowers the price of a game by 50%, more people will buy it in the week after the price drop than the week before the price drop.

In the same way, if project eternity were to lower their base "you bought the game" tier to cost 15 dollars, more people would back the project (at the low end). For the exact same reason, if double fine had started out with their "you bought the game" tier at 25 dollars, fewer people would have backed the project.

Do you really disagree with this? Seems pretty logical to me, and I'm far from an economist :)

Top Bottom