• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity by Obsidian Entertainment (Kickstarter) [Up: Teaser]

Nope, I am saying that lowering and raising prices, and the effect that has on purchases, is a central concept of economics. If a game company lowers the price of a game by 50%, more people will buy it in the week after the price drop than the week before the price drop.

In the same way, if project eternity were to lower their base "you bought the game" tier to cost 15 dollars, more people would back the project (at the low end). For the exact same reason, if double fine had started out with their "you bought the game" tier at 25 dollars, fewer people would have backed the project.

Do you really disagree with this? Seems pretty logical to me, and I'm far from an economist :)

You're treating two different offerings as if they're the same: point-and-click vs isometric. Like I said: what if gamers generally value isometric higher and would perceive the opportunity cost of spending a part of their available income on isometric rather than p-and-c to be lower. That could also explain the difference. So it's not just about the absolute price point. That's also basic economics.

Anyway, I just want this project to make it to 3.5m just as much as all the rest of us in here. Just a bit anxious, going by the numbers, they might not make it.

adixon

You're treating two different offerings as if they're the same: point-and-click vs isometric. Like I said: what if gamers generally value isometric higher and would perceive the opportunity cost of spending a part of their available income on isometric rather than p-and-c that could also explain the difference. So it's not just about the absolute price point. That's also basic economy.

Nah, I'm just trying to point out that you aren't able to make a direct comparison about how much people want one thing versus the other, because the prices are different. You seem like you want to jump to conclusions which don't make sense to me, basically. And I was trying to explain why -- that's all.

Amen to 3.5 :)

szaromir

Banned
You're treating two different offerings as if they're the same: point-and-click vs isometric. Like I said: what if gamers generally value isometric higher and would perceive the opportunity cost of spending a part of their available income on isometric rather than p-and-c to be lower. That could also explain the difference. So it's not just about the absolute price point. That's also basic economics.

Anyway, I just want this project to make it to 3.5m just as much as all the rest of us in here. Just a bit anxious, going by the numbers, they might not make it.

gog.com top 10 best selling games at the moment:
1) Planescape: Torment
2) Baldur's Gate 2 Complete
3) FTL: Faster Than Light
4) Neverwinter Nights: Diamond Edition
5) Icewind Dale 2 Complete
6) Baldur's Gate: The Original Saga
7) Icewind Dale Complete
8) Temple of Elemental Evil, The
9) Forgotten Realms: Demon Stone
10) Dungeons & Dragons: Dragonshard

Project Eternity is referenced as a throwback to the bolded games. There are no p'n'c adventure games in gog's top 10, but there are several more RPGs. Of course GOG doesn't have LucasArts, therefore the best games in the genre (some of them Schafer's and Gilbert's games at that), so the situation cannot be directly compared, still you can't claim there's any shortage of isometric/top-down old-school RPG fans. And the chart doesn't look like that because of PE's KS campaign, it has looked like that for several years now.

gog.com top 10 best selling games at the moment:
1) Planescape: Torment
2) Baldur's Gate 2 Complete
3) FTL: Faster Than Light
4) Neverwinter Nights: Diamond Edition
5) Icewind Dale 2 Complete
6) Baldur's Gate: The Original Saga
7) Icewind Dale Complete
8) Temple of Elemental Evil, The
9) Forgotten Realms: Demon Stone
10) Dungeons & Dragons: Dragonshard

Project Eternity is referenced as a throwback to the bolded games. There are no p'n'c adventure games in gog's top 10, but there are several more RPGs. Of course GOG doesn't have LucasArts, therefore the best games in the genre (some of them Schafer's and Gilbert's games at that), so the situation cannot be directly compared, still you can't claim there's any shortage of isometric/top-down old-school RPG fans. And the chart doesn't look like that because of PE's KS campaign, it has looked like that for several years now.

So you're using a list from a smaller direct download company (which doesn't say anything about the retail market at all) that contains the best isometric games but is missing all the best p'n'c games to make your point. :)

People who buy those games from GOG are typically people who missed out on those games back when they released, or people who sold their copies and regret doing so, or just people who don't like to use discs anymore.

So from this list you can maybe conclude that people who missed out on isometric RPGs are more anxious than people who missed out on not so great p'n'c games to make up for it now, but that's about it imo.

Jaheira useless.. useless...

didn't she have summon mountain bears ?

TIL people playing BG2 don't know what is summon mountain bears.

4 Mountain bears killed Irenicus.

I too found Jaheira pretty useless until that one battle with the big, red dragon (Firkaag?) where I won by the skin of my teeth and only becuase Jaheira casted that shitty 1st or 2nd level Cleric spell:

Bees (of Doom)

The bees were flying around Firkaag's head hitting him for 1 point of damage every 10-15 secs but more important: cancelling his actions.

:bow Jaheira :bow2

EDIT: TIL what TIL means.

szaromir

Banned
So you're using a list from a smaller direct download company (which doesn't say anything about the retail market at all) that contains the best isometric games but is missing all the best p'n'c games to make your point. :)

People who buy those games from GOG are typically people who missed out on those games back when they released, or people who sold their copies and regret doing so, or just people who don't like to use discs anymore.

So from this list you can maybe conclude that people who missed out on isometric RPGs are more anxious than people who missed out on not so great p'n'c games to make up for it now, but that's about it imo.

Well I consider games like Gabriel Knight, Myst, Sanitarium, The Longest Journey etc. to be great. LucasArts games are the most cherished in the genre though, no doubt about it. Retail PC games market is dead, so I don't know what's the point of bringing it up.

My point was that those RPG are immensely popular. I believe if Obsidian is smart about the last few updates, the final push can be huge and they can achieve $3.5M. RPG fans will want that second city.

Well I consider games like Gabriel Knight, Myst, Sanitarium, The Longest Journey etc. to be great. LucasArts games are the most cherished in the genre though, no doubt about it. Retail PC games market is dead, so I don't know what's the point of bringing it up.

My point was that those RPG are immensely popular. I believe if Obsidian is smart about the last few updates, the final push can be huge and they can achieve $3.5M. RPG fans will want that second city.

The point is that people interested in pledging for PE or DFA Kickstarters does not equal people buying digital downloads from gog today. I haven't bought any of those games from gog, but do own most of your highlighted games on disc since they released or close to that date.

Edit: actually I own all of them, have double dipped for BG2 and IWD even.

Everybody in here wants that second city.

Perkel

Banned
Thirded :)

Sadly, I do not see them hitting $3.5M.

It's more like 3,4 with paypal money. also this :

8079423154_a6fecedf9b_b.jpg

Dennis

Banned
Second big city is the most important thing in the gaming universe right now.

The issue of our times.

I love big cities in RPGs. They are very immersive and combats that feeling of emptiness that is present in many RPGs.

"It is the biggest city in the world! The capital of the Empire!"

*Tiny village with like four explorable buildings*

PaulLFC

Kickstarter need to hire some better web developers. I just tried donating at $25, and it crashed again and refused to acknowledge my pledge despite the confirmation from Amazon.

I'm on my lunch break so I guess it could be a proxy-related issue or something, but the fact it doesn't do any sort of error-management when money is involved is ridiculous.

mclem

That screenshot worries me. It looks HD. And yet they're proposing two cities? Didn't they listen when Square Enix were telling them how impossible that was?

Zeliard

Just throwing this out to all the fans of glorious late 90s PC gaming:

Dishonored is a bucket of awesome. Buy that game. Play it. Love it.

kswiston

PayPal is currently at $57.5k, apparently.

Making the grand total $2.891k.

Without PayPal, I doubt we would be hit $3m.

Your math is way off. $2.76M + $58k = $2.82M

Also, we are already over $42k for today with over 12 hours to go. If we get $60k for each of the 4 remaining days, we would hit $3M without paypal. We got over $130k yesterday, and every Kickstarter ever had a final push where the last day or two were the best funded days since the beginning of the kickstarter's campaign. I'd bet everything I have that the PE kickstarter breaks $3M in the next 4 days since its almost as sure a thing as you can get.

I'd say that it's almost a lock that Project Eternity passes Double Fine Adventure's $3.33M at this point. Double Fine will be over $300k behind Project Eternity going into its final 4 days at the end of today.

Glaurungr

The Endless Paths is now at six levels, but with ~1200 more likes on Obsidian's facebook page and ~800 more backers we'll soon have eight.

W44KQ.jpg

RJT

Looks like there's a whole body attached to the head (you can see shoulder/arm on there)

That's an awesome way to push for more backers. The middle of the campaign was underwhelming, but with the screenshot, the second big city goal, and the awesome looking mega-dungeon, my hype is through the roof.

F!ReW!Re

That's an awesome way to push for more backers. The middle of the campaign was underwhelming, but with the screenshot, the second big city goal, and the awesome looking mega-dungeon, my hype is through the roof.

How awesome would it be if the body inside that dungeon is actually made of flesh instead of a statue, like a trapped titan or something that gives out a quest...

Maybe his stomach area is broken open and you have to defeat a parasite (or parasites) that is eating away/affecting the titan...
The quest dialog with the titan will be filled with grunts and screams of pain, begging for a party of adventures to end his misery either by defeating the parasite or in someway killing the titan.

duckroll

Come on, we gotta make it to the Stronghold. That was the BEST part of NWN2. Just imagining that system in an expanded way and in a game could have a good main story as well, and interesting characters, just makes me giddy! :D

water_wendi

Water is not wet!

B: Apart from other games, what would you cite as your influences (with regards to Project Eternity)?

JS: Personally, I take a lot of inspiration from history. Because Project Eternity is set during an era of exploration and colonization, I’m looking at the interactions, violent and otherwise, between colonizing and colonized cultures. I’m interested in exploring daily friction and the difficulties that people run into when they try to live in the area between two (or more) cultures. There are famous “great men of history” examples like T.E. Lawrence, but I’m more interested in figures of lesser notoriety like the Italian Jesuit Matteo Ricci or Jean Baptiste Charbonneau, the son of Sacagawea. Also, I find some of the more contemporary “reverse” colonization trends like the French Congo’s La SAPE movement fascinating. I’m also starting to look in more detail at the state of epistemology and metaphysics in the medieval world prior to the rise of humanist thought, mostly exemplified by writers like Thomas Aquinas and William of Ockham. The printing press doesn’t exist yet in the world of Project Eternity and academic disciplines still tend to be elitist and exclusionary. Popular movements, on the rare occasion that they do occur, tend to be driven by passion and basic human needs rather than any sort of widespread philosophical movement.
i love this man.

How awesome would it be if the body inside that dungeon is actually made of flesh instead of a statue, like a trapped titan or something that gives out a quest...

Maybe his stomach area is broken open and you have to defeat a parasite (or parasites) that is eating away/affecting the titan...
The quest dialog with the titan will be filled with grunts and screams of pain, begging for a party of adventures to end his misery either by defeating the parasite or in someway killing the titan.
Thats a great idea.

RJT

Maybe his stomach area is broken open and you have to defeat a parasite (or parasites) that are eating away/affecting the titan...

I was thinking the exact same thing... The head definitely gave me God of War vibes, so I fully expect it to be of the godlike races.

Top Bottom