• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity by Obsidian Entertainment (Kickstarter) [Up: Teaser]

I've donated to the Double Fine, Wasteland 2 and Shadowrun Returns kickstarters but I have to say, especially after seeing the environment screenshot, this is easily the game I'm most excited about. Here's hoping these last few days see a huge increase in donations. I'm practically broke but I upped my donation from 25 to the next tier, 35$.

Llyranor

Oh come on, Aribeth was infinitely more memorable than all the characters in MOTB combined. You had the accent, the jigglies, the elven ears, the fall and the redemption, combined with stellar Bioware writing and storytelling. Add time-travelling space lizards, and you had GOTG material right there.

Just when you thought it couldn't be better, Bioware ups the ante again by introduction the marvellous 'I SWEAR I'M GOING TO KILL YOU IF YOU SAY ANOTHER WORD, DEEKIN' Deekin, whose slapstick humor and hilarious hijinks and gullibility really helped bring balance to the expansions' dark and serious/mature tone.

Much better than 'lol fallen celestial so deep' or 'I'm a prettyboy with long hair and a dreamy voice' or 'I'm a compelling person because I'm bald' or whatever else they call "characters" in that dumb NWN2 expansion. Mask of the Betrayer? Morelike Mask of the Bore-trayer, am I right?

:eek:

rejoice! Favorite race confirmed

I don't think these fellas will be controlled by us :p

Oh come on, Aribeth was infinitely more memorable than all the characters in MOTB combined. You had the accent, the jigglies, the elven ears, the fall and the redemption, combined with stellar Bioware writing and storytelling. Add time-travelling space lizards, and you had GOTG material right there.

Just when you thought it couldn't be better, Bioware ups the ante again by introduction the marvellous 'I SWEAR I'M GOING TO KILL YOU IF YOU SAY ANOTHER WORD, DEEKIN' Deekin, whose slapstick humor and hilarious hijinks and gullibility really helped bring balance to the expansions' dark and serious/mature tone.

Much better than 'lol fallen celestial so deep' or 'I'm a prettyboy with long hair and a dreamy voice' or 'I'm a compelling person because I'm bald' or whatever else they call "characters" in that dumb NWN2 expansion. Mask of the Betrayer? Morelike Mask of the Bore-trayer, am I right?

Your mouth is like a fountain of gold.

MOTB was good, but it had a ton of flaws (and bugs) in so many aspects of the game. From defining the MC a tad too much (as a result of the story, which is decent) to a non-satisfactory lol-worthy ending.

mclem

WEll, it's the weekend, and my interest hasn't diminished; upping my pledge to expansion and (on a whim) extra t-shirt addon levels.

Sentenza

I'm curious (as someone who hasn't touched the NWN series) what's wrong with that order?
I would say that every single NWN game is just horrible (with NWN2 worst offender because it isn't just ugly, bland and boring like NWN but also a clusterfuck to control and play) with the only exception of MOTB, which is (partially) redeemed just by some very good writing (it still is bad gameplay-wise, let's clear about that).
But I'm sure they were thinking something different.

Hm, so the races they've announced so far:

Human
Dwarf
Elf
"God-like"
Aumaua
Orlan

I'm pretty sure that the first four are going to be PC-races as Brennecke listed them on the stream and then mentioned that there were two more unknown races.

The Aumaua might be the 5th PC-race, but I'm pretty sure the Orlan's will just be part of an NPC-faction in the game, as they had announced said race prior to Brennecke's above statement.

I would say that every single NWN game is just horrible (with NWN2 worst offender because it isn't just ugly, bland and boring like NWN but also a clusterfuck to control and play) with the only exception of MOTB, which is (partially) redeemed just by some very good writing (it still is bad gameplay-wise, let's clear about that).
But I'm sure they were thinking something different.

Which is why I'm in a better position to compare all the NWN-games, as I liked them all more or less (except for NWN2:SoZ - avoid this expansion like the plague).

Zeliard

I'm curious (as someone who hasn't touched the NWN series) what's wrong with that order?

Nothing inherently. He has a minority opinion but the guy's free to feel how he wants to about the series.

I personally think the NWN1 games have absolutely horrendous single-player campaigns, and it's no surprise as they were designed mainly with multiplayer in mind. And MotB is probably my favorite thing out of Obsidian so far.

I wasn't a fan of NWN2's original campaign either but even that was better than NWN1.

Durante

NWN1 is one of the most disappointing RPGs -- games even -- of all time. It's really that terrible. Conversely, while NWN2 starts out average it gets pretty good later on, and MotB is the best party-based RPG in the past 8 years.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I remember playing NWN for the first time all those years ago and wondering what the hell I was playing.

Durante

I remember playing NWN for the first time all those years ago and wondering what the hell I was playing.
I was in denial for at least the first 3 hours, thinking that it must be some kind of tutorial area or bad joke, and that it will open up and stop being shitty soon. It never did. I just could not believe that this was the next RPG by the company that made BG2 and ToB.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
I was in denial for at least the first 3 hours, thinking that it must be some kind of tutorial area or bad joke, and that it will open up and stop being shitty soon. It never did. I just could not believe that this was the next RPG by the company that made BG2 and ToB.
i did the same thing. Also the game was super buggy. Much more than any other game ive played outside of Fallout 3: GOTY.

edit: i should state that Bioware did at least address the problems and fix them.

Sentenza

Yeah, exactly my feeling. And I was very relieved to learn that with NWN2 Obsidian was going back to a party-based game.
Sadly it didn't work very well anyway (for me).

At least in NWN (while visually unappealing and generally bad, bland and boring) the camera was smooth and controls felt accurate.
NWN2 was just boggled with unbearable interface, unbearable gameplay and atrocious performances.
I still try to get into it from time to time but I always give up after a few hours because I actually can't stand it.

Durante

In my opinion NWN2 has the best UI and controls of any party-based isometric RPG ever, but I think I've posted more than enough on that, in this thread even :p
I really like my options, customization and modes.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I kinda wish they wouldn't be so silent on who they have selected for the music. I know that they've talked about the music from the old days of IE, but I need a name. I guess they can't even trust putting out a shortlist for backers in case it all backfires.

Lancehead

The biggest problem with that order is that MotB is pretty much PS:T's spiritual successor, so MotB should've an order all of its own.

In my opinion NWN2 has the best UI and controls of any party-based isometric RPG ever, but I think I've posted more than enough on that, in this thread even :p
I really like my options, customization and modes.

I'll add to that - I wish Eternity emulates NWN2's UI.

ilikeme

Yes, I'm really itching to hear some music.

The fact that Wasteland 2 has Mark Morgan is one of the things that made me sure I'll enjoy at least one part of that game HUGELY and that the atmosphere is basically set for me.

Good audio is crucial.

^^edit: lol, didn't know (or forgot) we already had that. Listening now.

duckroll

Have they actually confirmed that he will be doing the music for the game? He did the music for the pitch video, but so far they've been pretty cagey about confirming the composer to me. The Music update felt kinda worthless because it was so focused on "here's the guy who did the music on the pitch video, here's the process we went through to make it, and here's the sample track to download" instead of actually confirming anything. Feels kinda weird to me honestly.

~Kinggi~

Banned
So it got more money today than it did yesterday. Hopefully they didnt blow the load yet. I think maybe the live streams over the next few days might help.

Deraldin

Unconfirmed Member
Have they actually confirmed that he will be doing the music for the game? He did the music for the pitch video, but so far they've been pretty cagey about confirming the composer to me. The Music update felt kinda worthless because it was so focused on "here's the guy who did the music on the pitch video, here's the process we went through to make it, and here's the sample track to download" instead of actually confirming anything. Feels kinda weird to me honestly.

They haven't officially announced who will be doing the music yet. Justin Bell has been on the Obsidian forums posting in a lot of the music related threads. I didn't see anything about what their choice is going to be or when it will be announced, just that they haven't done so yet.

PFD

The Q&A that was done by PC Gamer earlier today had Justin Bell (along with Sawyer and Feargus and others), so it's pretty safe to assume he's in.

Tripwood

Got paid yesterday so I can finally back this. Apart from SimCity 5, all the games I'm really looking for in the future are from Kickstarter. Funny how that works.

Perkel

Banned

It's because they still don't know. Justin did really great work with pitch video and if he keeps this level He probably will be music director. Josh said that he believe in Justin but if a lot of people will oppose that then they will probably change artist.

Pitch video is really good and I this we should give him a chance.

So what's the likelihood of this reaching 3.5 mil? A second large city with the size of Baldur's Gate/Athkatla/Sigil would be just amazing. Man, this is shaping to be the best WRPG ever.

Furoba

So what's the likelihood of this reaching 3.5 mil? A second large city with the size of Baldur's Gate/Athkatla/Sigil would be just amazing. Man, this is shaping to be the best WRPG ever.

Double Fine raised $450.000 in 8 hours. 3 days left and already well above 3 mil.

not yet.

$2,9 mln almost from Kickstarter and 55k from paypal.

500k in 3 days should not be a problem.

iRfiT1WZ6ihPh.gif

Durante

As of today, 3.5 million is back inside the projection cone at kicktraq.

Still, I'm rather skeptical. I just somehow get the feeling Eternity won't get the massive bump we usually see.

zkylon

zkylewd
500k in 3 days would be quite the feat, but I'm counting on it. Speaking of which, I gotta go deposit some money on my bank account lol...

Creator Obsidian Entertainment about 4 hours ago
@Jeff Lee With an expansion, we might do a city in it - we usually try to do a little bit of everything, so it feels like the game as a whole. However, just focusing on a big city for an expansion could be a lot of fun.

Kirkwall... but done the Obsidian way?! Would be awesome.

Dennis

Banned
@Jeff Lee With an expansion, we might do a city in it - we usually try to do a little bit of everything, so it feels like the game as a whole. However, just focusing on a big city for an expansion could be a lot of fun.

Oh, don't fucking backpedal now!

This should be the THIRD big city then.......two in the main game and one in the expansion....

I am watching you Obsidi....

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.

More like Mysteries of Westgate by Obsidian.

Acosta

Oh, don't fucking backpedal now!

This should be the THIRD big city then.......two in the main game and one in the expansion....

I am watching you Obsidi....

I don't think that is in question. The second big city will be for the vanilla game, nobody would understand it being for the expansion.

I read that as: "for the expansion we may think on doing it exclusively based on a city".

dude

dude
We're already 200 backers away from another dungeon level! Predictions on how much it'll end up? I'm thinking... 11-12 levels.

Top Bottom