• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity by Obsidian Entertainment (Kickstarter) [Up: Teaser]

Zeliard

What I'm curious about is what happens if we end at something like $3.3 million. Will they do the 2nd city anyway hoping to make it up with post-Kickstarter pre-order Paypal?

Or will we not get shit? :(

Lancehead

What I'm curious about is what happens if we end at something like $3.3 million. Will they do the 2nd city anyway hoping to make it up with post-Kickstarter pre-order Paypal?

Or will we not get shit? :(

I think they will. I mean these goals are not set in stone or anything, they're there more to drive funding.

adixon

lol at people saying we need to average slightly higher than we have been the past two days to make 3.5 million.

For one thing, weekends are basically always slower. More importantly, let's not completely ignore the final one or two day rush which gives basically every kickstarter (especially ones with good stretch goals) a huge bump right at the end.

This is the pre-bump bump. Not the real bump.

DTKT

lol at people saying we need to average slightly higher than we have been the past two days to make 3.5 million.

For one thing, weekends are basically always slower. More importantly, let's not completely ignore the final one or two day rush which gives basically every kickstarter (especially ones with good stretch goals) a huge bump right at the end.

This is the pre-bump bump. Not the real bump.

Nothing is quite certain, 3.5 mil is still far far away.

adixon

I totally agree it's going to be close, but trying to decide whether or not a kickstarter will make it based on average daily amount needed is basically just as inaccurate as using kicktraq's "trending toward" as reliable projection data. Flat daily averages just don't reflect the way kickstarter projects work, that's all I'm saying.

Dishonored and Shaker am cry. 3.5M here we come!

mApUR.jpg

I have to admit that I am tempted to do the same, but I think I'll stick to the digital game.

bengraven

I really really want to contribute, but I just can't afford $25 right now. That plus how long until it's finished - I kind of feel I would be better off getting it when it comes out in a couple years and I'm in better shape financially.

Plus, it will be nice to give them a boost of cash post-creation.

adixon

Yeah, profits after the release are going to matter for obsidian just as much as now. That said, I really want that second big city :p

Zeliard

I think they will. I mean these goals are not set in stone or anything, they're there more to drive funding.

Yes I agree, but it remains to be seen. Outside of Ziets, the city stretch goal is by far the most significant one, so I really hope they decide to go with it anyway.

duckroll

Stephen P asks...

After seeing this screenshot my anticipation for the game has spiked considerably, but it left me with a few questions. I understand the 2d portrait background concept, but will there be any overlapping animation with the river to make it appear flowing, even if the actual image doesn't move? The same question for the flowers? trees? will wind be simulated somehow?

We will certainly be adding animations to our backgrounds. The trees should sway, there will be birds or butterflies or insect clouds, depending on where you are, and the water in rivers and waterfalls will flow. We are using a rendering technique similar to the one we used in Temple of Elemental Evil, where the background is a pre-rendered 2D image and the characters and some props are 3D objects. This gives us the advantage of exquisitely detailed environments without the polygon cost, along with lots of animation without the memory cost that 2D sprites would entail.

Nice confirmation. The game should look great. :)

Mirokunite asks...

Will there be low intelligence/charisma dialog?

Yes, we will have these dialogs. They are a great deal of work, since it means writing two versions of every dialog in the game, but I am sure that our wonderful writers are up to it. I really want these dialogs too! I find it fun to replay the game with a low intelligence character, just to see how the NPC's react to my slow-witted attempts to help them.

OH GOD YES! THANK YOU BASED OBSIDIAN. Etc, Etc.

mrpeabody

Good news about 2d/3d. I think that's going to create the best possible look.

It does however mean that the camera angle will be fixed.

Lancehead

I like the reply with regards to the levelling up speed. My only real complaint with New Vegas was how they handled the levelling up speed/number of levels. Of course Sawyer's mod fixed that but still.

Also if I'm reading the update correctly, we (GAF) can get a custom troll?

dude

dude
The way that the old IE games handled level advancement meant leveling up from battles which weren't significant was pretty much impossible, which meant you had to do quests and advance plot to level up. I'd very much like P:E to follow in a similar direction.

Anno

Is IWD2 based on 3rd edition? Reading the chat and trying to square it up with a game that I thought was 2E is weird.

The guy on the stream feels like I did when I had to make a party for that game. It took forever and I'm not really familiar with 3e and wasn't sure on the best way to do things. It's overwhelming.

~Kinggi~

Banned
One of the reward tiers means we will have portraits, including one of evilore. Implementation still unknown, as whether they will display a portrait or 3d image on the HUD, profile page, character sheet, etc.

He just said on stream they will have pretty portraits like Icewind Dale! Yay

What's a custom troll portrait? Is it going to be used in game?

New 750 tier has Avellone drawing a custom troll. If you paid more than that you can inquire about getting one. GAF paid more than that, so in your(!) other thread they are talking about it.

Lots of trolls for Avellone to draw if everybody 750 and up asks for one. Will delay actual work!

Clott

I hope we get to 3 million in the next 3 days!

The stronghold has always been a really cool concept in RPG's, but also strangely underused. It was great in Suikoden II, I wonder why it's such an underused concept.

I hope we get to 3 million in the next 3 days!

The stronghold has always been a really cool concept in RPG's, but also strangely underused. It was great in Suikoden II, I wonder why it's such an underused concept.

We will hit it later today when you factor in Paypal which is somewhere over 50k as of last report.

edit: 57.5k as of 24 hours ago, so probably 10k more to get there as of this moment.

We will certainly be adding animations to our backgrounds. The trees should sway, there will be birds or butterflies or insect clouds, depending on where you are, and the water in rivers and waterfalls will flow. We are using a rendering technique similar to the one we used in Temple of Elemental Evil, where the background is a pre-rendered 2D image and the characters and some props are 3D objects. This gives us the advantage of exquisitely detailed environments without the polygon cost, along with lots of animation without the memory cost that 2D sprites would entail.

The waterfalls will flow!

I thought the Ciphers were basically a Psionics D&D equivalent class, and it looks like they kinda confirmed that. I guess it's a bit of a damage/control mage.

Top Bottom