• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity by Obsidian Entertainment (Kickstarter) [Up: Teaser]

Violet_0

Banned
oh, they better make Orlan a playable race ...

Much better than 'lol fallen celestial so deep' or 'I'm a prettyboy with long hair and a dreamy voice' or 'I'm a compelling person because I'm bald' or whatever else they call "characters" in that dumb NWN2 expansion. Mask of the Betrayer? Morelike Mask of the Bore-trayer, am I right?

You left out the two best companions, Okku and One of Many. Kaelyn the Dove is an awesome companion and well, you have to drag along Gann (still better than Safiya).

More like Mysteries of Westgate by Obsidian.

not by Obsidian, but that 'module' was pretty bad.

duckroll

I don't think that is in question. The second big city will be for the vanilla game, nobody would understand it being for the expansion.

I read that as: "for the expansion we may think on doing it exclusively based on a city".

The second big city will be for the expansion because we're not going to hit the stretch goal.... :(

C'mon, prove me wrong, please! >_<

The second big city will be for the expansion because we're not going to hit the stretch goal.... :(

C'mon, prove me wrong, please! >_<

Doing my best.

Re7B0.png

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Everyone can complain all day about how PC games are dumbed down for consoles, and that 2012 is a shitty year and all that, but we really did pretty well this year.

A new X-COM
Dishonored(ie a new Deus Ex style game)
Black Mesa
a bunch of great ports like Sleeping Dogs and Borderlands 2
Ron Gilbert and Tim Schafer making a new point and click
Obsidian making a new isometric RPG with Chris Avellone writing
CDPR making a Cyber Punk game

Man I gotta get on Dishonored. Just after I finish my GOTY X Com. This shit came out of nowhere for me since I barely even enjoy strategy games much. God damn.

Oh and I put in 25 for Project Eternity. Really excited for this game, but extras don't really mean much to me.

Dennis

Banned
Everyone can complain all day about how PC games are dumbed down for consoles, and that 2012 is a shitty year and all that, but we really did pretty well this year.

A new X-COM
Dishonored(ie a new Deus Ex style game)
Ron Gilbert and Tim Schafer making a new point and click
Obsidian making a new isometric RPG with Chris Avellone writing
CDPR making a Cyber Punk game

Yes, I feel I have won a victory over the dumbing down. We all know GAF is the most important gaming site and I have tirelessly crusaded against dumbing down here.

As an example of crusading that works, I have since coming to GAF wasted no opportunity to stress the importance of having a 'No HUD' option. This used to be a problem, now almost all new games let you easily disable the HUD.

I won.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
So the expansion's going to happen regardless, right? The stretch goal is for vanilla game? I should upgrade mine to 45.

Dennis

Banned
So the expansion's going to happen regardless, right? The stretch goal is for vanilla game? I should upgrade mine to 45.

Regardless of what?

As I understand it, when you pledge an amount that is $20 above the reward you are choosing, Obsidi will send you an email asking what you want.

You say: expansion pls Obsidi

duckroll

Yes, the expansion is not being funded by ANY of the Kickstarter funds. It will be developed only when the base game is done, and they'll be funding it internally with expected revenue from the game.

exp-cone.png

exp-trend.png

dailypledges.png

3 days, 11 hours remain.
They need $610,161 to hit the final stretch goal, $535,161 if we include the $75k from Paypal.
Over three days, that basically means a required daily funding of $178,387 - which is $35k more a day then what we got yesterday.

wrowa

100k today
100k tomorrow
150k the day after tomorrow
250k bump on the last day

Success.

Hitting the goal isn't unlikely if the Kickstarter is going to see a last-day bump. However, it might be possible that the last bump has been stretched more evenly over the last few days due to the release of the screenshot.

kswiston

exp-cone.png

exp-trend.png

dailypledges.png

3 days, 11 hours remain.
They need $610,161 to hit the final stretch goal, $535,161 if we include the $75k from Paypal.
Over three days, that basically means a required daily funding of $178,387 - which is $35k more a day then what we got yesterday.

Actually this Kickstarter ends at 9pm on Oct 16th, so we still have 3.5 days. On Kicktrack, today is the fourth from last day.

As of Midnight last night we had ~2.85M, which means there was about $650k to go for that second city goal, not including Paypal. Since the final day is only missing 3 hours, we basically need an average of $163k per day to hit $3.5M. If that $75k figure from Paypal is correct, we need $143k per day (assuming zero additional Paypal donations from here on out). The past two days averaged $138k per day, and the last day or two of a Kickstarter always have a big spike. Unless pledges bottom out today and tomorrow, that second city will be ours.

dionysus

Yaldog
It's because they still don't know. Justin did really great work with pitch video and if he keeps this level He probably will be music director. Josh said that he believe in Justin but if a lot of people will oppose that then they will probably change artist.

Pitch video is really good and I this we should give him a chance.

People oppose Justin after hearing the music in the pitch video? Who are these unwashed heathens?

kswiston

Final six days of the Double Fine and Wasteland 2 campaigns for comparison.

Double Fine Adventure
Day 6 - $19k
Day 5 - $93k
Day 4 - $103k
Day 3 - $97k
Day 2 - $155k
Day 1 - $406k
TOTAL = $873k ($761k in final 4 days)

Wasteland 2
Day 6 - $57k
Day 5 - $57k
Day 4 - $67k
Day 3 - $121k
Day 2 - $186k
Day 1 - $114k
TOTAL = $602k ($488k in final 4 days)

Project Eternity
Day 6 - $133k
Day 5 - $143k
Day 4 - $40k and Counting
Day 3 - ??
Day 2 - ??
Day 1 - ??
TOTAL = $316k and counting ($40k so far in final 4 Days)

If Project Eternity follows the final 6 day pattern of Wasteland 2, it will make over $1M in its last 4 days. Even more if it follows Double Fine Adventure. Only way we don't hit $3.5M is if Day 6 and 5 were the peak and there is no final push.

People oppose Justin after hearing the music in the pitch video? Who are these unwashed heathens?

After this Kickstarter is funded, I hope that Obsidian goes ahead with their vision for the game (including who should be working on art and music) and ignores the demands of the masses. Obsidian should definitely solicit feedback from the people who funded Project Eternty, but they should also say "Thanks for your opinion, but we are going in a different direction" when gamer demands clash with their vision. It's pretty clear from GAF that gamers as a group don't agree on anything, and dislike from a vocal minority is always voiced louder than approval from the majority.

wrowa

If Project Eternity follows the final 6 day pattern of Wasteland 2, it will make over $1M in its last 4 days. Even more if it follows Double Fine Adventure. Only way we don't hit $3.5M is if Day 6 and 5 were the peak and there is no final push.

You definitely can't use Wasteland's days 5 and 6 to calculate the last 4 days of Project Eternity. Eternity's bump started early due to the screenshot released on day 6, Wasteland didn't have a comparable event at the same day.

Durante

You definitely can't use Wasteland's days 5 and 6 to calculate the last 4 days of Project Eternity. Eternity's bump started early due to the screenshot released on day 6, Wasteland didn't have a comparable event at the same day.
Also, it should be noted that Eternity actually slowed down on previous weekends. I'm concerned about the 3.5 goal.

FWIW, on the second day of the kickstarter I predicted 3.2 million. I now think it will certainly go above that.

kswiston

I wasn't saying PE was going to make $1.1m more, or that it would follow either of those games exactly. I just threw up the numbers as a comparison. Wasteland, spiked on the final 3 days, but Double fine started its spike on Day 5 which isn't that different to what we are seeing with PE. Project Eternity actually needs to make less on its final 4 days than Double Fine did to hit $3.5M, despite the early days of its bump being about 50% higher than the early days of Double Fine's bump.

I don't think that Project Eternity will match Double Fine's huge last day, but we could get a minor final day bump like Wasteland 2 got (the last two days were only 50% higher in total than the two days before that), and still hit $3.5M.

Also, it should be noted that Eternity actually slowed down on previous weekends. I'm concerned about the 3.5 goal.

FWIW, on the second day of the kickstarter I predicted 3.2 million. I now think it will certainly go above that.

Previous weekends were slow because most of their updates were on weekdays. I am hoping that this weekend won't slow down as much because A) the campaign is almost over, and B) Obsidian has events scheduled for both today and tomorrow.

EDIT: Other big game Kickstarters for comparison:

Shadowrun Returns
Day 6 - $54k
Day 5 - $51k
Day 4 - $92k
Day 3 - $82k
Day 2 - $122k
Day 1 - $27k
TOTAL = $428k ($323k in final 4 days)

Not sure why Shadowrun's final day was so low. Perhaps it ended in the morning? I know Kicktrack uses EST for its days, so if your Kickstarter closes at 9am EST, your final day is 9 hours.

Planetary Annihilation
Day 6 - $66k
Day 5 - $77k
Day 4 - $81k
Day 3 - $123k
Day 2 - $208k
Day 1 - $226k
TOTAL = $781k ($638k in final 4 days)

Planetary Annihilation Actually spiked on Day 8 (from the end), and had aggressive end of campaign stretch goals, but there aren't many videogame Kickstarters in the 1.75M+ range, so every comparison helps.

DTKT

I wasn't saying PE was going to make $1.1m more, or that it would follow either of those games exactly. I just threw up the numbers as a comparison. Wasteland, spiked on the final 3 days, but Double fine started its spike on Day 5 which isn't that different to what we are seeing with PE. Project Eternity actually needs to make less on its final 4 days than Double Fine did to hit $3.5M, despite the early days of its bump being about 50% higher than the early days of Double Fine's bump.

I don't think that Project Eternity will match Double Fine's huge last day, but we could get a minor final day bump like Wasteland 2 got (the last two days were only 50% higher in total than the two days before that), and still hit $3.5M.

Previous weekends were slow because most of their updates were on weekdays. I am hoping that this weekend won't slow down as much because A) the campaign is almost over, and B) Obsidian has events scheduled for both today and tomorrow.

Actually, there is nothing tomorrow. I'm not sure why since they should be bringing out the big guns for the final days. Kind of a missed opportunity.

kswiston

Actually, there is nothing tomorrow. I'm not sure why since they should be bringing out the big guns for the final days. Kind of a missed opportunity.

You are right. For some reason, I thought they were doing something every day.

Honestly, with the amount of extra money the meaty updates bring, they should have their artists cranking out concept art and screens every day for these last few days. We had an $80k bump after that first screen. That pays someone's wage for a year or more.

PFD

Where are you getting the paypal figure from?

PFD

There's now four $10k backers (last I checked there were 3), and only 2 spots left for the $1k weapon tier.

There's also an alarming mistake on the main kickstarter page. The stretch goal tracker is missing the 3M and 3.5M goals:

0f11f3bfa3f277f21f9ce8c.jpg

A newcomer would think that the kickstarter has met all of its goal, and would only know about the 3.5M goal if they dig inside the updates. This definitely kills the sense of urgency... someone needs to alert Obsidian about this!

edit: ok nvm, they're mentioned further down, but I think this stuff needs to be at the top

how to get the beta? if already have the $20 reward. i just change the amount to $45 and i get the early beta and extra copy right?

or should i just click $50 Reward.

DTKT

how to get the beta? if already have the $20 reward. i just change the amount to $45 and i get the early beta and extra copy right?

If you add 25 to your 20$ pledge, you just get the beta key I think. So, if you select the 20$ pledge and manually add 25$, you just get 1 copy and the beta key.

There's now four $10k backers (last I checked there were 3), and only 2 spots left for the $1k weapon tier.

There's also an alarming mistake on the main kickstarter page. The stretch goal tracker is missing the 3M and 3.5M goals:

http://imageshack.us/a/img87/3897/0f11f3bfa3f277f21f9ce8c.jpg[IMG]

A newcomer would think that the kickstarter has met all of its goal, and would only know about the 3.5M goal if they dig inside the updates. This definitely kills the sense of urgency... someone needs to alert Obsidian about this!

edit: ok nvm, they're mentioned further down, but I think this stuff needs to be at the top[/QUOTE]

This...

[IMG]http://s3.amazonaws.com/ksr/assets/000/205/875/46c6055cd96f99b163cbd6d738625c5c_large.jpg?1350092175

...is right at the top, so I reckon it's clear enough that it's not over yet.

Anno

or should i just click $50 Reward.

Add on the extra $25. At some point you'll receive a survey asking what you want that $25 to get you, whether that's beta access or an extra copy.

Add on the extra $25. At some point you'll receive a survey asking what you want that $25 to get you, whether that's beta access or an extra copy.

Digital Download of Expansion Pack +$20 (included in tiers $165 and above)
Digital Download of World Almanac +$15 (include in tiers $50 and above)
Digital Audio Book of the Novella by Chris Avellone +$20 (included in tiers $165 and above)
Digital Strategy Guide +$7 (included in tiers $80 and above)
Early Access Beta Key +$25 (included in tiers $110 and above)
Extra Digital Download of the Game +$25
Extra Three Digital Downloads of the Game +$60

oh. i thought this was tiered as well lol.

each one is separate?

I guess they will probably get 60,000 before today's update. Maybe a level or two beyond that total. 40000 Facebook likes seems a ridiculous stretch, unless they leave that open after kick starter end. I assume it it mostly to keep people like me from unliking like I was planning to do.

Munin

I wish the Stronghold and 2nd big city stretch goals were reversed...I mean, WTF needs that vanity stuff in a isometric oldschool RPG?

Top Bottom