• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity by Obsidian Entertainment (Kickstarter) [Up: Teaser]

Wow. Just received an update from another project that I'm pledging for where they say that kickstarter pledges are not considered liability so they are heavily taxed, in the 30% range. Suddenly 3.5 millions don't seem enough... ;)

It will count as if they sold a product so they will be taxed on it like it was a normal sale.

Kurtofan

If I pledge how does kickstarter know where to send my reward? (digital only)

Edit: it's done, hope I won't change my email address until then :S

Lusankya

If it will be around 3,4 mln i don't think they won't include this stretch goal.

Yep, they will include it if we end up reasonably close. I mean it's not like they can't get any more money after the kickstarter campaign has finished. I am very sure they said, you can still donate via PayPal later on.

RJT

It will count as if they sold a product so they will be taxed on it like it was a normal sale.

That's where Kickstarter donation language may hurt... This should be counted as deferred revenue, not as revenue of 2012, since basically all reward levels contain some kind of compensation which won't be delivered this year. I can see it being argued either way, but I don't know the language of the agreement between kickstarter and obsidian.

In any case, Obsidian may have losses that offset this extra revenues, so we really don't know. I hope hey have a good accountant.

Lancehead

Because they asked $3.5 million in the first place because they aren't confident they can do a second big city with a lower budget?

.... because they don't have it in the budget? Stretch Goals are not something that they are already going to do but won't until they hit X dollars.

Eh, they might. If they get $3.4-3.45 million, I hope they'll adjust things around to design the city. Like, remove some voice work, some animations, cut some less important characters etc.

adixon

I still think 3.5 is the perfect sweet spot at this point. Rush at the end (monday and tuesday, while they're playing dnd live and partying) is going to be epic.

mclem

Not sure why Shadowrun's final day was so low. Perhaps it ended in the morning? I know Kicktrack uses EST for its days, so if your Kickstarter closes at 9am EST, your final day is 9 hours.
Yeah, this. You also sometimes see unusually low first days for similar reasons.

Lusankya

Eh, they might. If they get $3.4-3.45 million, I hope they'll adjust things around to design the city. Like, remove some voice work, some animations, cut some less important characters etc.

Technically they can't remove or cut any stuff, because nothing's there. ;)
But yeah, if they don't get 3.5 million, they can still make a second large city, just not as large as it would have been with more money.

Grayman

That's where Kickstarter donation language may hurt... This should be counted as deferred revenue, not as revenue of 2012, since basically all reward levels contain some kind of compensation which won't be delivered this year. I can see it being argued either way, but I don't know the language of the agreement between kickstarter and obsidian.

In any case, Obsidian may have losses that offset this extra revenues, so we really don't know. I hope hey have a good accountant.

i don't think they can defer it as unearned revenue as the transaction with kickstarter is done. The concern is more of a tax law situation than an accounting one though.

wrowa

Pretty sure they looked things up in advance, so you don't need to worry about taxes. This is not the first Kockstarter and we know that Obsidian is close in touch with Brian Fargo, they know what's happening.

Also, the stretch goals are arbitrary goals and not the actual budget to get X or Y done. It's possible that they'll add the second city if they are just close to the goal.

DaBuddaDa

Also, the stretch goals are arbitrary goals and not the actual budget to get X or Y done. It's possible that they'll add the second city if they are just close to the goal.

Are you sure about that? I figured the money to reach each goal is used to pay new team members to work on designing said goal. Like: "We want George Ziets to work on this. We need $100,000 to hire and pay him for the next 18 months, make it a goal."

Perkel

Banned
George Ziets will work for $100k for 18 months? Are you joking?

I'm pretty sure that most of developers would want to work in OBSIDIAN right now even if that mean they will get lower wages.

Obsidian currently is on way to receiving independence from publishers. In two years they will probably be at same place where are Epic and Valve.

That mean even if they will work for publisher ball is played differently.

Labadal

I'm pretty sure that most of developers would want to work in OBSIDIAN right now even if that mean they will get lower wages.

Obsidian currently is on way to receiving independence from publishers. In two years they will probably be at same place where are Epic and Valve.

That mean even if they will work for publisher ball is played differently.

Lower your expectations, friend. Lower your expectations.

pa22word

So uh, I just got hit with an emergency personal situation out of nowhere and am now broke until this thursday @ around 3 PM CST...

One question: am I fucked as far as completing my pledge? If I remember correctly, with Wasteland 2 there were a few "grace" period days before KS would can your pledge. I think I saw someone earlier say that the KS for this ends at around 6 PM CST on tuesday, so if there's a 2 day check that makes a pass on charging your account every 24 hours (with the last check made on thursday @ 6 PM CST) I think I'm going to be fine, but I don't know for sure if this info is even accurate...

Can anyone offer me some info on this situation?

Labadal

So uh, I just got hit with an emergency personal situation out of nowhere and am now broke until this thursday @ around 3 PM CST...

One question: am I fucked as far as completing my pledge? If I remember correctly, with Wasteland 2 there were a few "grace" period days before KS would can your pledge. I think I saw someone earlier say that the KS for this ends at around 6 PM CST on tuesday, so if there's a 2 day check that makes a pass on charging your account every 24 hours (with the last check made on thursday @ 6 PM CST) I think I'm going to be fine, but I don't know for sure if this info is even accurate...

Can anyone offer me some info on this situation?

I'm not sure, but you could always donate via paypal even if the kickstarter period is over. Take care of personal problems now, pledge later.

DaBuddaDa

I'm not sure if I'm understanding the question right, but in past Kickstarter's I've funded, the charge was applied to my bank account within hours of the Kickstarter's end. Like Labadal said, you could cancel your Kickstarter pledge and donate through PayPal when you're ready.

Labadal

Question:

I was thinking about sending Josh a PM on their forums, asking him if he'd be okay with anwsering some questions from neoGAF. Would it be better if I asked a mod first?

Zeliard

I'm not sure if I'm understanding the question right, but in past Kickstarter's I've funded, the charge was applied to my bank account within hours of the Kickstarter's end. Like Labadal said, you could cancel your Kickstarter pledge and donate through PayPal when you're ready.

If the charge can go through, then it does. But if it's a case where your account can't cover it or you use a faulty credit card or whatnot, and the charge doesn't process, then I think you have one week to put your pledge through.

Assuming paypal is 75k, we got $413,139 more to go until we get the final reward.
That means we need at least $7248/h, or $173,953/24h, in order to hit this goal and assuming there are no more paypal donors.

Miletius

I figure 100k from paypal at the end, which means that the KS itself needs about 400k. So, 200k over a little more than 2 days, roughly speaking. It's going to be a tough slog, but it's doable.

I think that 3 - 3.5 M or so seems to be the upper limit on gaming kickstarters. My theory is that there is a limited pool of fans and they are more or less donating to each of the big gaming kickstarter projects. Once they all donate, then you are just left with money trickling in, and you don't have the fan pool to sustain you well past that amount. That's why we won't see much more than this for PE, even if is the RPG fan dream team, because the pool of people who a) care and b) are willing to donate is finite and they've mostly already all ponied up at this point.

kswiston

PE has almost earned $60k today with another 12 hours to go. If we aren't getting an update today, we should still hit at least $100k before midnight. That said, this is going to need a bigger end of campaign push than Wasteland 2 received if we want to hit $3.5M.

I think that Obsidian's handling of the final days of their campaign this weekend could have been better. Something should have been scheduled for today. Also, after seeing the results of the that first screenshot on Thursday, they should have had their art team working on another concept screen for release today or tomorrow. The amount they would have received from extra pledges would have been worth some overtime work on behalf of the team.

Violet_0

Banned
something needs to happen if they want to reach the $3.5 million goal. If they're smart, they have another screenshot (possible even with early in-game character or enemy models) or some high-quality concept art in their sleeves.

ezekial45

Banned
I've been wanting to give this game a pledge, but I'll be honest - Icewind Dale and the Baldur's Gate series bored the hell out of me. I don't know what it is, but most CRPG games are just so uninteresting.

I'm so torn. The lore and gameplay ideas sound astonishing, but then I remember what the gameplay will be like (after seeing the screenshot) and it just makes me want to doze off. I just don't want to buy a game I know I'm not going to get into down the road.

Despite this, I'm very happy for Obsidian's success with this kickstarter. They're clearly very passionate about it, and it'll definitely show in the game once it's out.

PaulLFC

PE has almost earned $60k today with another 12 hours to go. If we aren't getting an update today, we should still hit at least $100k before midnight. That said, this is going to need a bigger end of campaign push than Wasteland 2 received if we want to hit $3.5M.

I think that Obsidian's handling of the final days of their campaign this weekend could have been better. Something should have been scheduled for today. Also, after seeing the results of the that first screenshot on Thursday, they should have had their art team working on another concept screen for release today or tomorrow. The amount they would have received from extra pledges would have been worth some overtime work on behalf of the team.
I agree to be honest. I saw their schedule with Reddit and the livestream and I thought "they're really pushing this well, it should help a lot." But I guess I was just automatically assuming they'd be complemented by an extra stretch goal before $3.5 million, or another screenshot. Something big to encourage pledging. As that hasn't happened (yet), right now I'm not sure we'll hit $3.5 million.

something needs to happen if they want to reach the $3.5 million goal. If they're smart, they have another screenshot (possible even with early in-game character or enemy models) or some high-quality concept art in their sleeves.

Yeah AMA and live stream of watching them play IWD is not that awesome

DTKT

I'm not sure why they decided to do nothing big for today. Every hours counts, it's not the time to waste an entire day.

They might not want to reach the 3.5 million goal because of how much extra work it is, which they are worried might lead to the rest of the game getting less time spent on or a longer development.
But if they get 3.3 million, they essentially get 300k extra to aid them in all the goals up to 3 million.

Top Bottom