• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity by Obsidian Entertainment (Kickstarter) [Up: Teaser]

Midou

Seriously? If BG 2 only took a year to dev, id be amazed.

Seems BG1 was Nov 1998, then expansion April 1999 and BG2 in September 2000, so it's gotta be something like that.

I would trade modern day graphics for that era of game content in a heart beat...

~Kinggi~

Banned
I hear something exciting might happen in this thread sooner or later.

WAT does this MEEEEEAN?

Seems BG1 was Nov 1998, then expansion April 1999 and BG2 in September 2000, so it's gotta be something like that.

I would trade modern day graphics for that era of game content in a heart beat...

Absolutely if the types of games we could get are like those games, and developers actually get to keep their jobs and be happier, i would be all for it. But i have a feeling even with these kickstarters people will be working overtime to keep the costs down initially, to try and keep the cause for these games alive. I imagine the funding for those games back in the day was more than what kickstarter can do.

Zeliard

I wonder how long it will take to do this game compared to your typical modern "AAA" type game with voice acting everything and cinematics and all that.

Having limited voice acting and simpler graphics has to cut down on the time it takes to create and iterate on the content, I'd imagine. I don't really care if it gets delayed at all but I wonder how much easier it is to make content for a game like this compared to your typical modern day RPG. As I recall, the gap between BG1 and BG2 was only about 2 years and they were doing a lot with the engine then. Whereas now, I'd guess Obsidian has a decent handle on the tech side of things with Project Eternity so it mostly comes down to just making the content.

Outside of the aesthetics there's a lot they have to do as far as dialogue and quest nodes and balancing out combat encounters, so I imagine it will take quite a bit of work, and a good deal of time. They're also intending on offering entirely different low-intelligence dialogue options, which will greatly add to the writers' work load. The team is fairly small so we shouldn't be expecting the game any time soon.

I would. A second city would be content extension, giving a new area of large size with more quests, more NPCs, etc. A stronghold is a new gameplay layer, with construction options, recruiting, simulation strategy elements, etc. Given a choice between a new gameplay layer to give me something different but meaningful to do in a game, and content extension where I just get a lot more of normal stuff, I think I'll pick the gameplay layer every single time. Unless I don't like that gameplay element of course.

I've never experienced stronghold-based gameplay that I really enjoyed. Didn't do all that much for me in NWN2, and while I wouldn't put it beside Obsidian to do something cool with the concept here, a second big city would just add more content that I know I'm certain to already greatly appreciate - more dialogue, more characters, more quests, more exploration, more music, and a potentially different visual style.

It's ultimately moot as we're getting the stronghold anyway, and probably the city as well, but I'm definitely a lot more excited at the content the city can add to the game.

WAT does this MEEEEEAN?
I imagine the funding for those games back in the day was more than what kickstarter can do.
Thats probably true. The thing with those IE games in the later 90's early 2000s was that at least visually they were still (or at least I thought so) visually high end compared to other games of their time. They were just as graphically interesting as a 3D game like Half Life. Hell, the thing that first got me interested in Baldur's Gate 2 were some screenshots I remember seeing on IGN with the environments and spell effects looking cool. Whereas now, it seems all modern big name games need to be made with 3D graphics and the same sort of presentation.

So I'm just really interested to see how projects like Project Eternity or Wasteland 2 manage visually since its been so long since relatively big name developers have tried to do that style of game visually. I'm guessing that they can still make a game that looks really nice since the tech has matured and they're not needing to be compared to your typical FPS graphically.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
it means i'll be showing off this awesome Pokemon i just caught.

I call it Snorlax of the Woods.

snorlax-600x400g6dk5.jpg

I would. A second city would be content extension, giving a new area of large size with more quests, more NPCs, etc. A stronghold is a new gameplay layer, with construction options, recruiting, simulation strategy elements, etc. Given a choice between a new gameplay layer to give me something different but meaningful to do in a game, and content extension where I just get a lot more of normal stuff, I think I'll pick the gameplay layer every single time. Unless I don't like that gameplay element of course.

I hope there ends up being at a decent amount of class-based variations on the quests and such for the stronghold as well. Although Obsidian have said they want to keep all content available for all classes, it's nice to have at least some sense that quests that are unique to your character's chosen path. If they don't want class-specific quests in the main game, the stronghold would be the perfect place to have them.

DenisQc

For anyone who hasn't donated yet, there's two spots left for the early bird deal ($20 for the game)

I wasn't quick enough, they are gone

and after weeks of saying I will not bend, thanks to my little girl who makes all possible so that I do not sleep (she is 5 weeks old), I finally kickstarted this game...

now onto new infos for this game :)

I just hope this game will be a financial sucess for Obsidian once it is released, so we can get more games (that are not dumbed down) in the same style :3

Dennis

Banned
Perhaps the most enjoyable aspect of RPGs (and other game types) for me is exploration.

So a larger game world with an extra city is more enticing to me than a lot of class options and a stronghold.

Perhaps the most enjoyable aspect of RPGs (and other game types) for me is exploration.

So a larger game world with an extra city is more enticing to me than a lot of class options and a stronghold.

I want the world to be so big that I'll encounter new things even on my 5th playthrough!

Lancehead

Lancehead, you wily devil.

Don't shoot the messenger courier, man.

I don't know, if they can get a good a mix of and improvement on The Sink from New Vegas and the Crossroad Keep from NWN2, it could be brilliant.

Prax

Oh boy! A surprise!!! For this thread? *___*
I took that to mean that Evilore or someone will match all GAF donations so we can have a 10k tier reward instead. lol don't dash my hopes!

I am still waiting last minute to donate to Obsidian's actual kickstarter though. Am I a bad person for doing so?

Lancehead

I took that to mean that Evilore or someone will match all GAF donations so we can have a 10k tier reward instead. lol don't dash my hopes!

I am still waiting last minute to donate to Obsidian's actual kickstarter though. Am I a bad person for doing so?

Nah, I waited until they detailed digital tiers before pledging.

injurai

Banned
Can't wait for the surprise, I've been watching this game for a while now. I'm hoping someone from Obsidian comes in and drops a megaton.

I agree. I absolutely love exploring. My perfect game would have you visiting a vast array of different cultures and having the content of the levels based around that.

Deraldin

Unconfirmed Member

Nah, I'm doing the same thing. We're just increasing the tension so it'll be that much sweeter when we blow past 3.5 million!

Gravijah

just remove the combat. we are now traveling merchants.

would be amazing.

LProtag

Argh, I can't spend any more money on games but I've been eyeing this kickstarter. It just makes more sense for me to spend a little more money when the game is actually out, because by that time I'll actually be making a lot more money (if everything works out) instead of having an extremely limited spending budget.

I really want to back it now though!

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Argh, I can't spend any more money on games but I've been eyeing this kickstarter. It just makes more sense for me to spend a little more money when the game is actually out, because by that time I'll actually be making a lot more money (if everything works out) instead of having an extremely limited spending budget.

I really want to back it now though!

Ramen noodles are cheap.

~Kinggi~

Banned

~Kinggi~

Banned
Tomorrow, we will be updating everyone with a schedule for Tuesday and another fun add-on. Oh and we have some plans for a crazy new reward tier for Tuesday morning.

Might we be releasing more art soon? Stay tuned…

Sounds like they have a plan for a last push. This a good kickstarter

Corto

Nice! I will love to watch some behind the scenes game development from these guys. And extra points for making the documentary outside of the Kickstarter budget. I wouldn't mind that they would add it from the beginning or make it a stretch goal, but making it this way is just a treat to us fans.

~Kinggi~

Banned
I like that they say they are doing the doc as a company legacy type deal and therefore using company funds rather than kickstarter.

Top Bottom