• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity by Obsidian Entertainment (Kickstarter) [Up: Teaser]

Lancehead

Or they can make the second big city 20% smaller.

That too will work for me.

I've been wanting to give this game a pledge, but I'll be honest - Icewind Dale and the Baldur's Gate series bored the hell out of me. I don't know what it is, but most CRPG games are just so uninteresting.

I'm so torn. The lore and gameplay ideas sound astonishing, but then I remember what the gameplay will be like (after seeing the screenshot) and it just makes me want to doze off. I just don't want to buy a game I know I'm not going to get into down the road.

Despite this, I'm very happy for Obsidian's success with this kickstarter. They're clearly very passionate about it, and it'll definitely show in the game once it's out.

If it's any consolation, there's going to be a lot of non-combat stuff in Eternity. BG and IWD were largely combat-focussed.

something needs to happen if they want to reach the $3.5 million goal. If they're smart, they have another screenshot (possible even with early in-game character or enemy models) or some high-quality concept art in their sleeves.

They've got something planned that's 'fun' to do with the screenshot that they've already released. Doesn't sound particularly promising, but we'll see.

I get the impression they're looking forward to this being over and to be able to settle down a bit into actually making the game without all the Kickstarter pressure. They've got so much more money than they set out for, at this stage they seem to be happy just to sit back and coast it home.

Edit: And as SquiddyBiscuit says, I can see them perhaps wanting to focus on the workload they set out to do, rather than having to suddenly account for almost doubling the game size with a second large city.

Almighty

Sweet just checked in after a few days and now we are getting a stronghold. Having my own stronghold was always one of my favorite things in the RPGs that featured them. Sadly though I don't think the chances are good that they will hit 3.5 million for the second city.

I hope they allow us to pledge via paypal to fund the second city in case they don't make the 3.5mil in time. A classical CRPG with two large cities would blow my mind.

Lusankya

I hope they allow us to pledge via paypal to fund the second city in case they don't make the 3.5mil in time. A classical CRPG with two large cities would blow my mind.

Yeah, already confirmed.

"@Chris Buck We will continue to take donations for a while after the Kickstarter campaign. We are working on our own storefront that will take donations and also let everyone buy the latest in Obsidian wear."(Oct5)

Nice to see they hit the 3 million mark. Hopefully we'll get another dungeon level at 62.500 backers, but I don't think they'll hit the 3.5 million mark - too much, too late.

Oh well, we'll still have the expansion.

dude

dude
Question:

I was thinking about sending Josh a PM on their forums, asking him if he'd be okay with anwsering some questions from neoGAF. Would it be better if I asked a mod first?

I think you should just go for it. Ask him on Twitter as well.

szaromir

Banned
At this point it needs to do as well in the last 2 days as Double Fine Adventure did in the last day. Definitely doable and I think they'll get there.

Whose idea was it to bury Dhalsim in the Endless Paths?

9fe02a966c2ce9d34a9e04119c469193_large.jpg

ZoddGutts

I've been wanting to give this game a pledge, but I'll be honest - Icewind Dale and the Baldur's Gate series bored the hell out of me. I don't know what it is, but most CRPG games are just so uninteresting.

I'm so torn. The lore and gameplay ideas sound astonishing, but then I remember what the gameplay will be like (after seeing the screenshot) and it just makes me want to doze off. I just don't want to buy a game I know I'm not going to get into down the road.

Despite this, I'm very happy for Obsidian's success with this kickstarter. They're clearly very passionate about it, and it'll definitely show in the game once it's out.

Same. Obsidian weakness has always been in the combat. Which is something I hope they improve with this game... Wish more Western devs would take something like FF12 International ver combat (in that version you can speed up the combat) which I feel would be perfect for a western WRPG game.

Thank goodness for Kickstarter.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
A better plan would be no grunts (at least, on their own)- I'd much prefer a smaller but trickier number of combat encounters than 'here's some more palette swapped wolves to slaughter'.

Violet_0

Banned
A better plan would be no grunts (at least, on their own)- I'd much prefer a smaller but trickier number of combat encounters than 'here's some more palette swapped wolves to slaughter'.

agreed (the NWN and DA games are terrible in that regard). This fast-forward mode would be totally out of place in these games

~Kinggi~

Banned
They will need more than a 140-180k average day to get the 3.5. Essentially they will need a big push day, where everyone knows its that and there is a stream and big news update or something.

duckroll

I think that might be a paypal pledge? Not sure. :|

It's a shame that some communities can't raise the full amount. GAF was lucky.

I think it would be hard even for us to raise 10k for a game pledge though. It's really a rather high amount to ask for any community. 5k was definitely a more realistic number.

Lancehead

I'm actually kinda surprised that we pulled through to $5000. The start was slow and there was a week with barely any contributions. It was stuck at ~33% for a long time. $10k would've been impossible for us.

dude

dude
I'm actually kinda surprised that we pulled through to $5000. The start was slow and there was a week with barely any contributions. It was stuck at ~33% for a long time. $10k would've been impossible for us.

RPG codex seems like they're gonna pull it off, or get pretty close anyway.

We're also close to passing yesterday's total, so today's already a good day :)

$81,000 paypal+$3,044,023=$3,125,023
53 hours to go, $374,977 left to hit the final stretchgoal.

That means we'll need an average hourly funding of $7,075, or an average daily funding of $169,800. The numbers have actually gone down since I last made this calculation, so things are looking good :D

Zeliard

I would not be sad at all if they had to cut out the stronghold to add the city.

They probably can't though since it was a goal promise. Here's hoping for both, and a massive resulting game.

Seriously this game is gonna be packed with content and large in scope if they can get everything in. Prepare for them to push the release date back quite a bit as well.

Midou

I would not be sad at all if they had to cut out the stronghold to add the city.

They probably can't though since it was a goal promise. Here's hoping for both, and a massive resulting game.

Seriously this game is gonna be packed with content and large in scope if they can get everything in. Prepare for them to push the release date back quite a bit as well.

They can take as long as they need. If I won the lottery, I would have totally funded a giant content filled game with more old school look as to be able to fit all that content in realistically. I don't know why more developers don't do it, I guess because older looking titles don't please publishers...

Lancehead

Reminds me of the BioWare doctors' comment about how surprised they were in retrospect about the amount of content they produced in BGII.

I wonder how long it will take to do this game compared to your typical modern "AAA" type game with voice acting everything and cinematics and all that.

Having limited voice acting and simpler graphics has to cut down on the time it takes to create and iterate on the content, I'd imagine. I don't really care if it gets delayed at all but I wonder how much easier it is to make content for a game like this compared to your typical modern day RPG. As I recall, the gap between BG1 and BG2 was only about 2 years and they were doing a lot with the engine then. Whereas now, I'd guess Obsidian has a decent handle on the tech side of things with Project Eternity so it mostly comes down to just making the content.

Taruranto

I wonder how long it will take to do this game compared to your typical modern "AAA" type game with voice acting everything and cinematics and all that.

Having limited voice acting and simpler graphics has to cut down on the time it takes to create and iterate on the content, I'd imagine. I don't really care if it gets delayed at all but I wonder how much easier it is to make content for a game like this compared to your typical modern day RPG.

Well, BG2 took 1 year and something, didn't it?

duckroll

I would. A second city would be content extension, giving a new area of large size with more quests, more NPCs, etc. A stronghold is a new gameplay layer, with construction options, recruiting, simulation strategy elements, etc. Given a choice between a new gameplay layer to give me something different but meaningful to do in a game, and content extension where I just get a lot more of normal stuff, I think I'll pick the gameplay layer every single time. Unless I don't like that gameplay element of course.

adixon

jeebus, we're going to have almost 3.2 million with paypal by the end of today. This is going faster than I dreamed through the weekend... I wonder if we'll end up at more like 3.7? Would be pretty awesome to finish big like that.

Top Bottom