• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity by Obsidian Entertainment (Kickstarter) [Up: Teaser]

Anyone know what the PayPal figures are? The main site just hit $3.1 million and we have just under two days left. It looks like depending on the boost, it's going to be real tight.

Somebody posted 75k earlier, probably end somewhere around 100k.

Edit: yeah, 85 is correct. So final will probably be slightly higher than 100.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
I wonder if that "crazy" stretch goal is 4 million?

Actually on second thought, they'll probably easily hit that last stretch goal; the previous mega popular Kickstarters - Wasteland 2, Shadowrun Returns and Double Fine all had big jumps at the end. Double Fine somehow got $400,000 it's final day and Wasteland 2 got just under $300,000 in it's final two days.

dude

dude
Funnily enough, just last week I started a 3.5 D&D campaign in the Forgotten Realms setting with a party of 7th level characters.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Actually on second thought, they'll probably easily hit that last stretch goal; the previous mega popular Kickstarters - Wasteland 2, Shadowrun Returns and Double Fine all had big jumps at the end. Double Fine somehow got $400,000 it's final day and Wasteland 2 got just under $300,000 in it's final two days.

Eh, im still not gonna get my hopes up. Enough is up in the air for it not to happen. I'd chances are over 50% though. You never know. When they announced the 3.5 i didnt think it had much of a chance.

Corto

So now we get a pet? This is getting ridiculous. 3.5M really need to happen. It would be just the perfect finish rush before realizing that the game will only release in 2014.

Sotha Sil

So now we get a pet? This is getting ridiculous. 3.5M really need to happen. It would be just the perfect finish rush before realizing that the game will only release in 2014.

Now that they set their own deadlines, I'd say early 2015 is optimistic.

Wallach

I fully expect a delay giving the crazy scope that this game will be, but more than 3 years in development would worry me about burning through the KS money.

I'd be surprised if the development cycle went longer than 18 months, honestly.

Grayman

The camera position and art style probably lead to very fast content creation so the bulk of effort on the project is going to be writing.

~Kinggi~

Banned
The camera position and art style probably lead to very fast content creation so the bulk of effort on the project is going to be writing.

Well, that would be taking for granted that design on a game like this, to make the 2d backgrounds appealing will take a lot of time im sure. Its sometimes easier to rely on a 3d space to make up for having bad designs.

Deraldin

Unconfirmed Member
Everything they've said so far is that they don't intend to push the release date out any farther than it already is. Extra money would go towards having more stuff working on the project to allow them to get more work done faster rather than have the same number of people work longer.

adixon

Apparently Josh is DMing the PnP game they're livestreaming tomorrow. (Just posted by Adam Brennecke in the kickstarter comments.)

kswiston

If Paypal donations are at $85k (and those count towards stretch goals), then $3.5M is definitely happening. We are already past $150k for today with 1.5 hours left before 12am EST. There's no way that the last two days will be lower than today (even if Tuesday will be 3 hours shorter due to the 9pm EST finish). There's probably a decent chance that the Kickstarter hits $3.5M without the extra Paypal money. Either way, this is blowing past Double Fine to set a new record for a (non-hardware) gaming Kickstarter.

SparkTR

If Paypal donations are at $85k (and those count towards stretch goals), then $3.5M is definitely happening. We are already past $150k for today with 1.5 hours left before 12am EST. There's no way that the last two days will be lower than today (even if Tuesday will be 3 hours shorter due to the 9pm EST finish). There's probably a decent chance that the Kickstarter hits $3.5M without the extra Paypal money. Either way, this is blowing past Double Fine to set a new record for a (non-hardware) gaming Kickstarter.

That's kind of surprising considering there's around 20k less backers on this project, it should highlight that convincing current backers to up their pledge is just as important as attracting new ones.

terrisus

Knew I was going to be putting into this from when it was first announced, but, finally got around to tossing my $25 into the pile the other day.

Being a huge fan of the Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale games, I'm really excited about this. And glad to see that it's gotten so much support and funding as well. It's great to see games like this being given the chance through something like this, when seemingly things had been shifting away from them otherwise.

That's kind of surprising considering there's around 20k less backers on this project, it should highlight that convincing current backers to up their pledge is just as important as attracting new ones.

It's interesting seeing the economics involved in this sort of fundraising medium. Would love to see some kind of economic/statistical analysis on kickstarter strategies.

PFD

Not that surprising actually, as the lowest pledge to get you a game from double fine was only $15, here it's $25 (was $20 for early birds.)

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
As far as resurrection goes, Project Eternity will not have any form of in-game resurrection. Healing magic of any sort is extraordinarily rare in this world and resurrection would pull at the fabric of the mortal reincarnation cycle. However, we may include an option to turn off permanent character death. Naturally, this would be disabled in Expert Mode.
This sounds very interesting

Top Bottom