• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity by Obsidian Entertainment (Kickstarter) [Up: Teaser]

Glaurungr

From Josh Sawyer's twitter:

A5NRPj0CAAA06oJ.jpg:large

43 hours now, though.

Rpgmonkey

Finally got the time to read up on this. Sounds awesome.

Hardly a whole lot compared to what some people contributed, but I threw in $35. :)

pyros

Playing cards? And not included in any tiers?

Finally an excuse to increase my pledge further!

All I wanted to do was add 10 dollars, but ended up going for a higher tier, not going to look at the kickstarter page until this is over

pa22word

Dude, if you're broke don't waste your money on videogames. Buy food.

lol I'm not that broke >.>

Rent paid, bills paid, food in fridge, etc, etc, but extra spending money is gone due personal reasons atm I'd rather not get into. I get paid on the 18th @ 3 PM CST (KS ends tuesday the 16th @ 6 CST IIRC) with hefty bonus, so I'm more than fine. I still haven't gotten a concrete response on how they're going to handle late paid pledges (like, IIRC, WL2 gave a two day grace period before canning it) or how long they are running the Paypal. If there's a two day grace window I'll be fine, or if they run the Paypal until the 18 I'll cancel my pledge and just donate the cash through that avenue and be fine. Just need to know concrete info before proceeding is all!

mclem

They need to announce a final stretch goal. "If we earn 4M, we'll test the game!"

They'll drown in money.

(As a more serious aside, I'm wondering what effect the batallion of beta testers they're going to end up with will have; I suspect it's just the sort of resource they've not had previously that would make all the difference in the quality of the finished product.

By my count, there's 5718 contributors currently at the beta key level. That's potentially a huge amount of feedback available, although I imagine many won't use it; I probably won't.)

What if there aren't any feet? Maybe Obsidian planned it all in advance, and the 10th floor will reveal the horrible truth about the titan's lower parts!!! :eek:
It's Davros!

pa22word

(As a more serious aside, I'm wondering what effect the batallion of beta testers they're going to end up with will have; I suspect it's just the sort of resource they've not had previously that would make all the difference in the quality of the finished product.

By my count, there's 5718 contributors currently at the beta key level. That's potentially a huge amount of feedback available, although I imagine many won't use it; I probably won't.)

I don't really see the "Beta" being an actual beta test, just an extended demo of a near final build. Pubs and devs this gen have completely ruined public perception of the "states" of game development. Seeing the "pre alpha" splinter cell footage at E3 this year had me dying of laughter that Ubi tried that bullshit, but people who don't know any better think that shit is true, so if they released a real beta build filled with real beta problems, people start spreading around bad press because the beta build is buggy. Sure, you might say this crowd funding this game should know better, but I'd tell you that you have a substantially higher level of faith in the general public than I do :p

Then again, some devs truly shock me like the Volgarr The Viking developers who released the god damned first build of the game to backers, so who truly knows?

duckroll

I don't really see the "Beta" being an actual beta test, just an extended demo of a near final build. Pubs and devs this gen have completely ruined public perception of the "states" of game development. Seeing the "pre alpha" splinter cell footage at E3 this year had me dying of laughter that Ubi tried that bullshit, but people who don't know any better think that shit is true, so if they released a real beta build filled with real beta problems, people start spreading around bad press because the beta build is buggy. Sure, you might say this crowd funding this game should know better, but I'd tell you that you have a substantially higher level of faith in the general public than I do :p

Then again, some devs truly shock me like the Volgarr The Viking developers who released the god damned first build of the game to backers, so who truly knows?

I hope the beta is really a beta with a bug-fixing purpose and not a glorified demo.

http://www.gamebanshee.com/interviews/109792-project-eternity-interview/page-3.html

Buck: How long before the game releases do you anticipate having a beta version available to those backers who pledged enough, and will there be multiple phases of testing?

Josh: I really can't say. It depends on when we target our alpha and how the alpha goes. Personally, I'd like to do two phases of beta testing but we'll have to wait and see how things go.

Buck: What are your plans for supporting the Project Eternity community up to and beyond its release? Have you considered the possibility of releasing any content-inducing patches or even a toolset of some kind?

Josh: Our testing and beta processes will minimize the need for patches, but we like to support the longevity of our products. We recently made an update on what our plans are regarding mods. We've partnered with the Nexus Network to host mods. Additionally, we will be releasing file format information and leaving a lot of our data tables open for easy modification.

Sounds like it's going to be a real beta.

PaulLFC

PayPal at $89,641.
$3,168,993 + $89,641 = $3,258,634

We should hit $3.5 million hopefully!

They really should have a running "Kickstarter + PayPal" total on the Kickstarter page somewhere though - $3,258,000+ looks better than $3,168,000+ when aiming for the $3.5 million. I think having a regularly updated running total of the two combined would encourage even more donations towards the final goal.

Anno

I think it'll happen. Even if it doesn't its not like $3.45m instantly means no big second city. I'm more interested to see how many levels down the dungeon we can go.

PaulLFC

I think it'll happen. Even if it doesn't its not like $3.45m instantly means no big second city. I'm more interested to see how many levels down the dungeon we can go.
Have they reduced the Facebook likes requirement or is it still 60,000? That's never going to happen in time, they're only at 22,000-something at the moment.

Anno

40k I think. Still crazy. With PayPal we might be able to get close to 70k donations though. That'd be what, 12 levels?

PaulLFC

40k I think. Still crazy. With PayPal we might be able to get close to 70k donations though. That'd be what, 12 levels?
I hope so. As you say 40,000 is never happening in time either. How long ago was it that they hit 20,000? Has to be at least a few days, and since then they've added less than 3,000 extra likes.

$89,641 from paypal+ $3,174,542 pledged =$3,264,183 total.

That means we have $235,817 to go, and 36 hours to do so both with paypal and kickstarter.
That's an hourly average fund rate of $6550, and a daily average fund rate of $157,211.

I think we'll just about hit the target :D

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
$89,641 from paypal+ $3,174,542 pledged =$3,264,183 total.

That means we have $235,817 to go, and 36 hours to do so both with paypal and kickstarter.
That's an hourly average fund rate of $6550, and a daily average fund rate of $157,211.

I think we'll just about hit the target :D

The hourly rate drops every time you post that, meaning it's been beating the hourly rate needed to get to 3.5.

I think they'll get it before the Kickstarter ends so further Paypal funds after that won't be needed for it.

saxman717

Banned
Got the early bird digital release for $20 and the expansion for $20. I don't feel cheap, the game will be at -50% during the first steam sale.

True, true ---- feels great supporting this project early on in the dev process ---- kicking myself for having missed the opportunity to support Wasteland 2...

PaulLFC

True, true ---- feels great supporting this project early on in the dev process ---- kicking myself for having missed the opportunity to support Wasteland 2...
I managed to get in for Wasteland 2 but missed DoubleFine Adventure, I did notice today though that you can still back DFA through their website - I think Wasteland 2 does something similar although I may be wrong.

Edit: They do, $20 for the game, higher pledge levels available for boxed copies etc: http://wasteland.inxile-entertainment.com/store

As for the expansion, have they said whether it will be $20 on release normally? Are we saving anything by buying it now?

saxman717

Banned
I managed to get in for Wasteland 2 but missed DoubleFine Adventure, I did notice today though that you can still back DFA through their website - I think Wasteland 2 does something similar although I may be wrong.

Edit: They do, $20 for the game, higher pledge levels available for boxed copies etc: http://wasteland.inxile-entertainment.com/store

As for the expansion, have they said whether it will be $20 on release normally? Are we saving anything by buying it now?

Hey thanks for the heads up, PaulLFC --- I think I'll put in a preorder.....

mclem

I don't believe they've said anything about pricing at all.

It may be worth being prepared for the idea that the purchase price for the expansion may even be cheaper than $20; remember that this isn't strictly payment, but instead "Donate $X and get a free Y"

I bring it up because I suspect the finished game won't cost much more than $30 to purchase - if not cheaper - and the expansion cost being two-thirds of *that* strikes me as a little high.

Top Bottom