• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity by Obsidian Entertainment (Kickstarter) [Up: Teaser]

Corto

I don't believe they've said anything about pricing at all.

It may be worth being prepared for the idea that the purchase price for the expansion may even be cheaper than $20; remember that this isn't strictly payment, but instead "Donate $X and get a free Y"

I bring it up because I suspect the finished game won't cost much more than $30 to purchase - if not cheaper - and the expansion cost being two-thirds of *that* strikes me as a little high.

That was exactly my reasoning to not increase my pledge for the expansion but do a more substantial increase to reach an higher reward tier instead. I'll buy the expansion afterwards.

PaulLFC

That was exactly my reasoning to not increase my pledge for the expansion but do a more substantial increase to reach an higher reward tier instead. I'll buy the expansion afterwards.
Yeah I think I'm going to wait for the expansion too.

Derrick01

Banned
$89,641 from paypal+ $3,174,542 pledged =$3,264,183 total.

That means we have $235,817 to go, and 36 hours to do so both with paypal and kickstarter.
That's an hourly average fund rate of $6550, and a daily average fund rate of $157,211.

I think we'll just about hit the target :D

The final rush that happens in the last hour or two will probably get them to the mark. When Dead State was going on we were something like $30k off of the $300k mark which would have given us a city area and that's what most of us wanted. I didn't think we were going to make it since it had slowed to a crawl, and in the last hour not only did it hit that it went another 20-30k ahead to get a couple more bonuses unlocked.

pa22word

Any news of a backer update store after the fact? Wasteland 2's has been a godsend. I feel like every other month I dump more into it haha...

As far as missed KS woes, I feel the pain on missing Shadowrun. Worst thing about that one is they never seemed to have added a way to get back in via late 'donation' =\

Lusankya

I bring it up because I suspect the finished game won't cost much more than $30 to purchase - if not cheaper - and the expansion cost being two-thirds of *that* strikes me as a little high.

PE will be a full-fledged pc game, so why shouldn't it cost $40-$50?

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
They've also been sure to reinforce the idea that this will be an "expansion pack" and not just DLC.

Old school PC expansions were usually between $20.00 and $40.00.

PaulLFC

Well the "normal" Kickstarter price is $25 - I can't see them doubling the price once it's out - maybe $30. I'm not saying it shouldn't be more expensive, I just don't think it will be.

Well the "normal" Kickstarter price is $25 - I can't see them doubling the price once it's out - maybe $30. I'm not saying it shouldn't be more expensive, I just don't think it will be.

I expect the base game to be $39.99 (preorder bonus would be a few items, TF2 hats and maybe soundtrack), with deluxe edition with all the digital goodies i.e. artwork, documentary, strategy guide, almanac etc for $49.99.

wrowa

It also shouldn't be more expensive. The indie market on PC is in a great shape because it's very affordable and thus more people than normal are willing to buy games impulsively. If you are going for a 40$+ price tag you'll miss this advantage.

Lusankya

It also shouldn't be more expensive. The indie market on PC is in a great shape because it's very affordable and thus more people than normal are willing to buy games impulsively. If you are going for a 40$+ price tag you'll miss this advantage.

That doesn't make sense. The price of a game is heavily dependent on the amount and quality of the content and not on whether it is an indie game or not.

pa22word

Because the stigma that exists around 2D games since the PSX era that they aren't worth as much as an "eye popping full polygonal 3D game, bro!"

It's a sad thing that we still deal with this nonsense, but it's there. It's much worse nowadays though as kids who grew up in the PSX era are now adults, and the marketing done by Sony and Nintendo in the era to try and push 2D to the side for polygonal games became a part of their mindset. Looking back, the damage done is even worse when you consider most 2D gaming of that era was done on handhelds, which traditionally have always been priced at lower than their more advanced console brothers, and it's not too much of a stretch to assume people just started associating 2D gaming being 'cheaper'.

Back before Nintendo did NSMBW I used to see people turn their nose up at even paying $20 for a 2D game.

Things are getting better though, with the aforementioned Nintendo games and such, but I doubt we will ever again see a full priced (50-60 usd), fully classical style 2D game (sprites, prerendered backdrops, etc) do very well at that price range ever again outside of maybe nintendo games or something.

At CG prices these days, you would probably spend the entire $3.7 million on one CG video. :p

Indeed. I remember it being talked about around the release of that (entirely yawn inducing) Dishonored CGI trailer a while back that the company that does them charges $1 million a min. Think about that, and wonder how that money could have went back into the development instead.

Sigh....

Why do we need FMVs for? I rather see more content with that money.

Pretty sure he was joking, heh.

PaulLFC

That doesn't make sense. The price of a game is heavily dependent on the amount and quality of the content and not on whether it is an indie game or not.
While I agree that the price of a game should be based on its quality, have you seen any $60/£40 indie games recently? I can't remember any to be honest, the lower prices do have something of an advantage. Steam sales have proven that discounts lead to more sales, so with the right level of awareness and promotion, lower prices can work out better.

Look at Farming Simulator on Steam - that was accidentally 75% off for a couple of hours for a preorder - it got to #11 or something in the Steam top sellers charts. That game probably wouldn't have got anywhere near the Steam top sellers charts without the low price.

20-bucks.jpg

Lusankya

While I agree that the price of a game should be based on its quality, have you seen any $60/£40 indie games recently? I can't remember any to be honest, the lower prices do have something of an advantage. Steam sales have proven that discounts lead to more sales, so with the right level of awareness and promotion, lower prices can work out better.

Yes, it is an indie game. But how many indie games developed by a large, professional team like Obsidian over the course of roughly 18 months have you seen in your life time?

And just because the game backgrounds will be 2D, doesn't mean they're using totally dated technology.

wrowa

Basing the price of a game on its quality is actually not really a smart thing to do. Many developers want to do this, after all they've worked hard on the project and they don't want to give their hard work away for something that feels like a steal, but the truth is: There are a ton of great games that flopped due to this line of thinking.

You should base a game's price on how you make the most money out of it. An affordable price that attracts impulse buys is nearly always the better way to go. After all, if you sell 3 copies at 30$ you are still making more money than you would make when you sell 2 copies at 40$. Being able to have flexible prices is pretty much the biggest advantage of digital distribution.

It's not really a new revelation, it's the primary reason why platforms such as Steam are as strong today as they are.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
the digital campaign almanac seems like a really cool idea.
i hope all these tiers were things they were planning to do anyway and not feature creep

I'd guess it's a combination of the two, for both the game and the reward tiers. Some of it was probably already planned to lure people into pledging or increasing their pledges, others were probably things they thought of along the way that would be feasible.

Lusankya

Basing the price of a game on its quality is actually not really a smart thing to do. Many developers want to do this, after all they've worked hard on the project and they don't want to give their hard work away for something that feels like a steal, but the truth is: There are a ton of great games that flopped due to this line of thinking.

You should base a game's price on how you make the most money out of it. An affordable price that attracts impulse buys is nearly always the better way to go. After all, if you sell 3 copies at 30$ you are still making more money than you would make when you sell 2 copies at 40$.

It's not really a new revelation, it's the primary reason why platforms such as Steam are as strong today as they are.

Steam is successful because of their sales. But it takes a while before a new game is on sale. And most new games are not priced at 30$ initially.

Welp, after getting again a job, I decided to change my 20 pledge (so I let the spot for someone else, run for it people!) to a 50 one and add the expansion pack and strategy guide getting it up to 77 dollars.
I hope that helps, I want that second big city, theres nothing I love more in RPG than cities.

And if I had paypal (need to wait days to have it validated) I would add some amount of money to the gaf cause of getting the inn :(

mrpeabody

Chris Avellone should DM a D&D session tomorrow and stream it.

From Update 23:

Two last items, we’re hosting an AMA (Ask Me Anything) [Monday] on reddit. A number of Project Eternity staffers will be on hand at 10AM PDT / 1PM ET to answer your questions about the game! Then at 5 PM PDT / 8 ET, watch us on Ustream play some D&D in the studio!

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Welp, after getting again a job, I decided to change my 20 pledge (so I let the spot for someone else, run for it people!) to a 50 one and add the expansion pack and strategy guide getting it up to 77 dollars.
I hope that helps, I want that second big city, theres nothing I love more in RPG than cities.

And if I had paypal (need to wait days to have it validated) I would add some amount of money to the gaf cause of getting the inn :(

Inn is already paid for. Shagg added a donate button so you don't need a Paypal account, any funding now is just extra on behalf of GAF, or helps Shagg cover the Paypal fees.

Lusankya

I hate any pre-rendered videos in games. I seriously would like all the devs to stop doing it and use everything in-game for cutscenes etc. It's just so much more immersive.

I totally disagree with you. Just try to imagine Starcraft and all the FMVs replaced by in-game cutscenes. Horrible thought.

PaulLFC

I hope we'll get the ability to add to our pledges and adjust reward tiers after the Kickstarter's finished, like with Wasteland 2.

mclem

I'd be willing to pay that, certainly. But I don't think that'd be priced to sell...

A correctly-priced game - traditionally - is one that's priced to maximise profit. The content is almost tangential to that; nicer content may push the desirability - and therefore the price - a little higher, but for the most part it should be priced at a level the masses would be willing to pay.

One interesting side-effect of Kickstarter process is that Obsidian aren't constrained by the need to pay off a development budget nor by the demands of a publisher, so they've got a little more freedom with their pricing. That said, I do suspect they'd be nervous about any bad press if they were to sell it at launch cheaper than the Kickstarter price (I don't believe that would be *fair*, due to what I mentioned earlier about the distinction between a purchase and funding-with-a-free-gift, but given gamers, I would fully expect there to be some fuss!).

It's that latter aspect I'm most curious and nervous about. Kickstarter backers backed for $25 for the game and $20 for the expansion, effectively. I'm struggling to find a way to translate those into what I regard as realistic prices without at least one of the expansion being cheaper for later purchasers than kickstarter backers or the proportion of price difference between 'main game' and 'expansion' feeling wrong, both of which could well trigger an undeserved backlash.

$40/$20 might just about work, but $40 might be a little high relative to the mass market's acceptable price and $20 might be a little low relative to what kickstarter backers paid (the same)!

Lusankya

That said, I do suspect they'd be nervous about any bad press if they were to sell it at launch cheaper than the Kickstarter price (I don't believe that would be *fair*, due to what I mentioned earlier about the distinction between a purchase and funding-with-a-free-gift, but given gamers, I would fully expect there to be some fuss!).

There is also the thing with the add-on. Currently people are "paying" 20$ to get the add-on.
Now, I can't imagine the future price of the add-on to be less than 20$ (because as you said, it wouldn't be "fair"). Actually I think it'll be more like 25-30$. With such an add-on price the full game obviously can't be only 30$.

Miletius

Blah, stream competing with the debate tonight. Oh well, hopefully they put it on an archive.

Edit: Uh, my bad, that's Tuesday. Ignore my sleep deprived musing.

mclem

There is also the thing with the add-on. Currently people are "paying" 20$ to get the add-on.
Now, I can't imagine the future price of the add-on to be less than 20$ (because as you said, it wouldn't be "fair").

Little clarification: I was actually saying that it wouldn't be fair if they got bad press for pricing the expansion the same as the kickstarter cost for it.

Apologies... the E word is coming up:

I do think there are some Kickstarter backers who would feel entitled to get the expansion cheaper than the final retail price, even though that's in no way a guarantee offered to them.

Lusankya

Little clarification: I was actually saying that it wouldn't be fair if they got bad press for pricing the expansion the same as the kickstarter cost for it.

Ok, but it still seems very unlikely that they would sell the add-on for less than 20$, when currently 20$ is the kickstarter "price" for it, right?

It's pretty safe to say the add-on will cost at least 20$. With an add-on already costing that much the base game only costing 30$ (or even less) would at least be very strange.

So either Obsidian didn't think much when they offered this "add-on preorder option" or the base game won't be as cheap as some people think.

Apologies... the E word is coming up:

I do think there are some Kickstarter backers who would feel entitled to get the expansion cheaper than the final retail price, even though that's in no way a guarantee offered to them.
Yes. I don't say they're right or wrong to think so, but I say Obsidian hopefully accounted for these "easily offended" people.

Glaurungr

Obsidian Entertainment 1 minute ago

PayPal is at $92.5K. I'm not going to get backer numbers right now, because it's a pain. But will announce during the day at least once or twice.

And Kickstarter is now at $3,202,837.

$92,500+$3,201,337=$3,293,837
$206,163 left to hit the final stretch goal, 33 hours to go.

We need an hourly average of at least $6,247, or a daily average of $149,936, to hit our target.

If you've paid attention to the previous calculations I've made, the calculated required average has steadily been decreasing, which means we will most certainly hit the final stretch goal :D

Top Bottom