• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity by Obsidian Entertainment (Kickstarter) [Up: Teaser]

dude

dude
$92,500+$3,201,337=$3,293,837
$206,163 left to hit the final stretch goal, 33 hours to go.

We need an hourly average of at least $6,247, or a daily average of $149,936, to hit our target.

If you've paid attention to the previous calculations I've made, the average has steadily been decreasing, which means we will most certainly hit the final stretch goal :D

6.2 is about the average of the last 12 hours, seeing as pledges will likely see a bump rather than slow down, I think we're set for that second big city and then some!

Ithil

No need for a stretch goal beyond 3.5. As it is, kickstarter and income tax take a percentage of the final tally, anything extra beyond their planned budget can help offset that.

robin2

Sorry I'm new to Kickstarter.

I want to donate and like to get both the game and the expansion.

Should I just select the basic 25$ option and increase my donation to 45$ (+20$ extra for the expansion) and I'm done? Or is there something to select/specify somewhere to tell them that those extra 20 are for the expansion?

Thanks.

dude

dude

I want to donate and like to get both get the game and the expansion.

Should I select the basic 25$ option and increase my donation to 45$ (+20$ extra for the expansion) and I'm done?

Yup, that's all you need to do. Welcome aboard this express hype train all the way to 2014!

Violet_0

Banned
it already started? Someone should ask them if Aumaua and Orlans are going to be playable races

and what terrible secrets lies hidden within the 10th level of the endless dungeons

wrowa

Question:
With the release of the screenshot, the fans got a glimpse at what 10 years of rendering technology can add to the Infinity Engine. Can you tell us what, if any improvements, that can/will be made to Character/character animations as Project Eternity moves forward?

Sawyer:
The animators are looking at Unity 4's Mecanim system and what it can allow us to do. One of the big differences is that working with 3D characters instead of sprites means that we have a lot more flexibility for equipment/armor/weapon combos on characters. Also we can do much better blending and animation scaling since adjustments and interpolation can be done in real-time.

Question:

What game did each of you find most enjoyable to work on?

Sawyer:
I still think I had the most fun on the first game I worked on: Icewind Dale. It was very satisfying to work on Fallout: New Vegas, though, since it had been my dream to work on a Fallout game since I arrived at Black Isle in 1999.

Question:
How are you going to handle reactions from the world on actions of the Player (like thievery, violence and murder) or events in the world itself? Will there be some kind of legal system? Will NPC remember how you treated them and will there be ways to get on a good branch with them again? Will NPCs be reflective of what's going on in the world and have dialogue about it?

Sawyer:
We haven't discussed reactions to criminal acts, but we'd like there to be good reactivity to those events. For reputation, we will be using a modified version of the system found in F:NV, which allowed for a broad spectrum of reactions that could shift over time. Not having to worry about full voice acting means we can have even more reactions to player actions from NPCs throughout the world. Overall, this is pretty important to us so we will support it as much as we can.

Anno

Should I just select the basic 25$ option and increase my donation to 45$ (+20$ extra for the expansion) and I'm done? Or is there something to select/specify somewhere to tell them that those extra 20 are for the expansion?

Thanks.

Up your pledge to $45. Eventually they'll email you a survey asking what you want your extra $20 to be applied towards.

Wallach

I don't know if I really want to sign up for Reddit just to ask Sawyer to give that rifle cleric chick a Bozar. It could be like PE's version of the Carsomyr. If Carsomyr was fully automatic.

Thanks.

Hi! No need to apologize. Click here for all the detail on how to increase your pledge:

http://project-eternity.tumblr.com/post/33543990284/project-eternity-add-on-list

wrowa

Question
A lot has been talked about regarding combat, and some of the mechanics. Can you describe how the lore, or mythos will effect the abilities or spells available within the game. EG In Dungeons and Dragons a cleric may worship a specific god, and be granted specific abilities due to this. Will there be any mechanic akin to this, and if so, will it be limited only to a 'cleric' like entity? I find that this is an often under-used mechanic that can really enhance the 'getting into the world' factor.

Sawyer:
Priests and possibly paladins will have altered access to lists of spells and abilities based on their chosen deity or cause. It's not about the god/cause limiting it, but the person limiting their access themselves since their power is internally-derived.

Question
Hi! Just wanted to ask, what game has been the absolute most fun to work on?

Avellone:
That's a difficult one. In terms of sheer wacky fun, Icewind Dale 2, Fallout 2, and definitely FNV: Old World Blues were great to work on. The others were more... serious. And took me to dark places. Filled with grues.

Question
Can we expect to see unique dialog choices and options for characters with low intelligence? Or unique ones relating to skill/feat/talent/etc levels?

Avellone:
Absolutely, it's an important part of the dialogue process, and from a dialogue standpoint, they're a lot of fun to do. I really enjoyed doing the ones for Vault City in Fallout 2, especially.
Ideally, the more reactive you can make the dialogue to a character's stats and attributes, the better, obviously, and we intend to do it in this title.

Question
Will there be multiplayer available?

Avellone:
No multiplayer, no. We're focusing on the single-player experience.

Question
What are some of the harder aspects of having the ability to create all new lore, geography, etc. this time around? Previously, many of the BI and Obsidian games have worked within existing worlds, like the Forgotten Realms where awesome places like "The Spine of the World" already existed. Any major tug-of-war going on between you about what something should be named, perhaps?

Sawyer:
I think the most difficult aspect right now is that generating content during the Kickstarter campaign is very "seat of the pants". A brand new setting takes a lot of time to fully develop since you have virtually nothing to start with.
We haven't had many arguments/disagreements about how things should be named. The general approach is that things around the Dyrwood are named by Aedyr settlers using common words/names that are either plain English or Old English in origin (or at least OE in "feel").

Question
How do you feel about the current trend of RPGs and where would you like to see it go/what would you like to see changed?

Avellone:
The genre's definitely advancing in some ways (art fidelity, voice/sound) and technology aspects, although sometimes I worry that some of the older elements that made RPGs RPGs has gotten lost along the way. For example, party-based control, ability to write your own bios and enter your own text, and also some customization elements (importing your own portraits, for example, rather than sticking with the range the devs allow). While there are some technology elements that may make games better games, I don't know if those technological improvements make them better role-playing games.
As an example (and I cite this one a lot because it changed my design philosophy), the idea that skills and attributes could change your dialogue options in Fallout 1 was brilliant and didn't need anything from the latest processor or video card. ;)

Question
First off, a big thank you to you guys. I’ve spent more hours playing Fallout games than I can count. Absolutely love the universe, the settings and the games.
What are your involvements in the future of the franchise? Are you guys involved in Fallout 4, or have plans for any other upcoming Fallout titles?
How do you feel about mods?
And one final question, because I have always wondered… why is there only short-hair in the character creation?

Avellone:
Fallout is all in Bethesda's hands. We loved working on Fallout 2 and New Vegas (and obviously, Tim on Fallout 1 and 2).
We love mods. Not only because it gives a chance to see what players can make (and use it as a way of testing potential design candidates), but it's also informative in terms of letting us know what design elements to include in future installments. As an example, the "Sink" in Old World Blues was due directly through realizing how frequently people made homebase mods and then designing a DLC around that.

Question:
If you are going to put social skills such as speech, diplomacy, persuasion, intimidate or something similar to those, would they be tied to the classes like in D&D 3E/3,5E or free for all classes?

Avellone:
We are tying responses to attributes, but what we want to avoid in the mechanics is using attributes as "insta-win" buttons (for example, often in previous RPG titles, using the Skill option often is the instant win for quest solutions). What we'd rather do is have attributes and skills open up a range of new information that allows you to make a more informed decision about a choice rather than gate you to a solution.
This may sound complicated, but it's like the Empathy skill in Fallout 1 and 2 - it would only tell you if the person you were talking to would react positively or negatively to your dialogue option, but that didn't mean it was the right option to choose in every situation, and sometimes you wanted to make someone mad to achieve your goal.
Hope that makes sense.

Question:
Thank you all for doing an AMA! What do you think is it about the Fallout series is it that makes it so popular? What do you like about it? PS thank you for writing the Fallout Bible!

Cain:
I have always thought that Fallout was popular, in part, because it introduced a world with no law and a very grey morality and then asked the player "how will you behave?". The player had to decide if he or she wanted to be nice or to act badly, and then to live with those consequences. This feature not only made the game replayable (what would happen if I was nice to those ghouls instead of killing them all?), but I'd like to think that it made people think more about how they act in real life.

Question:
Will it be possible to talk my way out of (almost) every encounter in P:E using my social skills?

Avellone:
You'll have the opportunities to resolve encounters/hostile encounters through social skills and stealth, definitely.

Question:
Tim, how do you feel that Chris never played Arcanum???

Chris Avellone emotes:
:: Chris shifts uncomfortably in chair ::

Question:
Is it your plan to allow us import our PC into the Expansion and sequels? And if so will our companion/faction relationships as well as major quest resolutions carry over as well?

Sawyer:
We would like to, yes.

Question:
You mentioned that your aim is to have the game run well on pcs with integrated graphics. Will there be options that offer more visual fidelity to people with computers that have decent gpus?

Sawyer:
There will be some optional graphics features like better shadows/lighting on dynamic objects (like characters) and some other effects (possibly water). The main thing is that the backgrounds will largely be the same on all systems.

Question:
Could we get clarification on the exp system you guys are thinking about? It implies you won’t give experience for kills how does this work with things like the mega dungeon? I like using non-combat skills
to glean an advantage or get something extra out of a situation not to necessarily solve everything. I feel like if i know I’m going to get the same reward for not fighting if there is a situation where i can avoid
combat i probably will and it’s not because combat isn't my preferred play style but because fighting in that instance would feel kind of pointless.

Sawyer:
We plan to grant XP for exploration-based quests and objectives, so if there's something like the mega-dungeon that's focused on moving from level to level toward a goal, we will award portions of XP for achieving those goals. Most players will likely use combat to get to that point, but that doesn't need to be the only solution.

Dennis

Banned
Buck: You've stated that you're taking an open world approach with the game, but will there be some areas where a more linear design makes more sense? When do you think a linear approach makes the most sense?

Josh: I'd like to avoid linear sequences whenever possible, but there are usually a few choke points the player will have to go through even in open games. For example, you have to get the water chip and deal with the Master in Fallout. There are a lot of ways to actually do those things, but you can't avoid dealing with them in some way. That's as "linear" as I'd like to get.

*tears of joy*

Linearity was a constraint of hardware in early days of gaming. Now it is obsolete.

wrowa

Question:
Considering how popular steampunk has gotten, have you thought of making a sequel to Arcanum? Would you have the rights to it, or are they held by Activision Blizzard?

Cain:
those rights are held by Activision Blizzard, who got them from a chain of buy-sell events occurring after Sierra closed. I have often thought of making a sequel to Arcanum, especially since Troika designed a sequel called "Journey to the Centre of Arcanum" back in 2001, but I don't own the rights and there doesn't seem much interest from the publisher to back such a project.

Question:
Are you hiring George Ziets full-time, or will he collaborate on the game like Chris Avellone does on Wasteland 2?

Avellone:

George will be on contract. We'd love to hire George back full time, though, we all loved working with him.

Question:
I'd like to know more about classes, multi-classing, and character customization in general. To that end, will there be multi-classing? If not, will you ensure variability in character design (within a class) in some other way?

Cain:
we are considering adding multi-classing, but we are focusing on getting the base classes implemented first. Between choices of race and culture (which will open background traits to pick), people can make a lot of character customizations that affect game play directly. Then as you level, you again have choices to make about what abilities to take.

Question:
Will I be able to pick locks if I play as a barbarian? In other words, will skills in PE be class-specific?

Sawyer:
Skills will not be class-specific, though classes may have inherent bonuses with certain skills. If you want to blast up Mechanics with your barbarian, you can do that. You probably won't be as good as a Rogue who is dedicated to Mechanics, but you won't be restricted from putting points into those skills.

Question:
With level growth planning to be slower in PE, will there be leveling mechanics to make each level more meaningful? Eg: feats/perks/talents/skill points/gold stars per level instead of every two or three levels.

Cain:
Yes. Our intention is that you will level more slowly than many modern games, but each level will feel significant in terms of power level and new abilities. If you play like me, you will already be planning where to spend your points when you level up, so when that "ding" happens, you will upgrade your character and immediately look for someone new to fight/talk to/sneak past, just to try out the new abilities.

Question:
Josh, you name drop MicroProse's 1992 Darklands quite frequently. If you were given the opportunity, would you like to do a direct sequel to Darklands? And, if so, what would you change about it?
Also, what aspects of Darklands can we expect to see in Project Eternity?

Sawyer:
Yes, I would definitely work on a direct sequel/reboot/whatever to Darklands. I would probably want to restructure some of the skills in the system (or adjust the game's content) so players got more use out of the neglected skills like Streetwise, Ride, or Speak Latin. Also I'd like to offer alternatives to being a virtuous Catholic in the game, which was pretty much "the way" to play. Overall, though, I still think it holds up very well.
The aspect of Darklands I'm most interested in trying out in Project Eternity is the manner in which certain non-combat sequences/conversations are presented with an illustrated scene accompanied by text. Performing a ritual, talking with an important character at a specific time/place, or even figuring out how to cross a broken bridge -- those are all things that I could see taking place in such a format.

Question:
Have you ever copied an idea or suggestion from a fan directly?

Avellone:
Never copied an idea from a fan directly, although we have collaborated with fans that we feel did a much better system than we did - I believe we collaborated with one fan's AI scripting system for Neverwinter 2 and credited them. That's another reason we love mods, because there's plenty of fans out there with waaaaay better ideas than we do.

We tend to use it as feedback. As mentioned in another comment, we noticed that for New Vegas, people were making a lot of homebase mods, so we examined those to see what things people were looking for from a base along with some elements we knew we should fix (one-load access, means of dumping gear, little happy appliances that gave boosts).

Question:
Is there any interest in including another incarnation of Ravel? The last one I recognized was back in KOTOR 2. Has the concept become less interesting?

Avellone:
I think Ravel's been explored enough. If I did another D&D game, I might, but Kreia in K2 was designed to explore that relationship more, and I feel she ended up being a thorough exploration of her personality archetype so much so I don't feel the need to go any further. It also helped that the context of the Star Wars universe also helped give her a fresh take.
The fact that Ravel existed across the Planes and perceived time differently than others was always an interesting element to write for. And I always liked her for her more honest emotions (feelings for the player and her attempts to do good and change her nature even when her nature got in the way).

Question:
What were your predictions on amount of money from Kickstarter before it started?

Avellone:
Only our Art Director, Rob Nesler, felt super confident about us hitting our goal and hitting it so quickly. The rest of us felt it was more of a gamble, and we were afraid because of the amount we were asking - but we didn't feel it would be responsible of us to ask for less. Brian Fargo was the same way with WL2 - never ask for less than you need to make the game, be responsible budget-wise and be practical. If you don't get funded as a result, then you don't get funded, but it means you're not letting anyone down on both sides of the Kickstarter.

Question:

Personally, my first experience with you guys was Knights of the Old Republic 2, and I loved that game. However, it does get a lot of criticism (especially from fans who prefer the first game). A lot of people blame this on a rushed schedule. Do you think the game was rushed, and if you could change anything about the game, what would you change?

Avellone:
The issues with K2 are my fault, and no one else's. Looking back, I would have taken more care to focus on the elements of the game that mattered the most: the story and characters, and removed the mini-games, for example (those were a waste of time) and also cast away many of the cut scenes (they cost too much time to do technically, despite how much we liked them).
I also would have downscoped the cast and done what we've done on titles after that - made a smaller, more reactive cast and kept the central character pillars (Kreia, Atton, Mira, Visas Marr). I would have kept T3-M4, regardless.

Question
How much overlap is there in the people working on Wasteland 2 and P.E?

Avellone:
There's only me working on Wasteland 2 (I feel so alone snfff snfff), and I'm working on wrapping up the area designs now. It's been a blast, and I'm really enoying working with Brian again - I usually am there 2 days out of the week at the inXile offices and attending design meetings, kicking around WL2 thoughts, etc.

One more question for someone with a reddit account to post:

What will be the tone for this game? Is it more deadpan serious like PST, more whimsical like BG/IWD, or is it more comedic like FO?

Perkel

Banned
Why the fuck people down vote this AMA ? I seriously can't comprehend it "488 up votes 87 down votes" almost 1/5 of people down voted.

What is wrong with people ?

DTKT

Why the fuck people down vote this AMA ? I seriously can't comprehend it "488 up votes 87 down votes" almost 1/5 of people down voted.

What is wrong with people ?

Reddit never shows the true amount of upvotes and downvotes. The numbers they show have very little do to with the real amount. It prevents the use of dummy accounts and bots to game the system.

wrowa

Question:
Right, sometimes in New Vegas the speech (or speak?) skill did feel like an instant win button.

Avellone
Yeah, there were two points where it broke convention because I felt it needed to - one was with Lanius, and the second was with Ulysses. If you kept spamming the Speech button and choosing the first option without really listening to what they were saying, you'd end up screwing yourself. The reason I don't feel good about that is because that wasn't the precedent set with other conversations, so I don't know if I'd do it again if I had the chance.

But in Project: Eternity, I definitely want to do this. People who don't care about dialogue shouldn't take Speech skills anyway - those that do should have fun exploring the conversation and seeing what they can take away from it.

Question:
What about people simply acting differently if you have a high skill in (for example) intimidate? Rather than giving you specific "intimidate" dialog choices the NPCs just react to you as though you are intimidating.

Avellone
We sometimes would assume auto-reactions based on perks and traits, although we feel it's more fair to a player to choose when and where they want to flex their mental muscles. Even someone with Terrifying Presence may not be having a terrifying day or want to role-play that at the moment. :)

Race reactions and more obivous elements (like in Fallout, people would react to what you were wearing), I feel clicks more with a player and is fine.

Question:
I've seen a lot of designers say that they've enjoyed working within the confines of another world. However, in the case of giants like LucasArts and Hasbro/WoTC, there's an almost censorship-level restriction of where you can take a story. (...)

Since everything in P:E is essentially a new design, I imagine you guys would have to work in a way that you're having to continually outsmart yourselves (and your creations).

Avellone:
I feel creating a world (and slang and culture) often is just as time-consuming as researching someone else's franchise (for example, Star Wars required a lot of research into the expanded universe, not just to become familiar with it, but to understand what stories and elements had already been told). As such, we only had 5-6 comments on our story from LucasArts over the whole course of the project because we'd done our due diligence.

And we don't work on franchises because we don't have our own ideas, it's just the way things have shaken out. I feel we've had opportunities to examine those franchises in new ways that players appreciate (K2 and Mask of the Betrayer).

Someone joking:
Stretch goal for 3.6 mil: Chris Avellone completes Arcanum.
And stream it live.

Avellone:
Chris Avellone nods at this very good idea. And he's not joking.

Question:
What are your plans concerning the loot system of the game? Personally, I loved the Baldur's Gate approach of items beeing set in one specific location of the game/ with certain characters. It motivates to explore every corner of the game and once you figured everything out gave you the experience of really knowing the world. Random loot should be very limited imho.

Sawyer:
We will rely more on placed loot than randomized loot. The IWD games had a huge amount of unique items and most of those were hand-placed (e.g. Pale Justice). I like writing the unique histories of those items, anyway. :)

There might be a tiny amount of randomization, but that will likely happen at that the individual gear level. E.g. 5 bandits are placed on a map. When the map loads, each will randomly be given a pair of shortswords, a longsword and shield, or a bigass mace.

Question:
This one piece of art from Project Eternity had me intrigued since it gives of a Lovecraftian vibe. So I might as well ask, will there be quests, story elements and the like that have Lovecraftian influences?

Sawyer:
I don't think we're necessarily going FULL LOVECRAFT, but I do want the dark and scary places of Project Eternity to feel appropriately terror-inducing, even from an isometric perspective. Eír Glanfath's ruins are supposed to contain some scary stuff, so we don't want the player to yawn when they kick open the door and face Skeleton #242.

Question:
Along with the gameplay-related features, I'm extremely curious as to how personally developed the party characters will be. How well can you get to know them and will there be quests/extensive dialogue that helps develop them?

Sawyer:
The companion characters will be very well-developed. It's something we love doing and we feel that companion reactivity can provide a lot of information about the world and a continual criticism (or praising) of the character's actions. Companions will have their own quest lines that you can not only complete, but determine the outcome of. Player choice will be important throughout the game and your interactions with companions will be no different in that regard.

Question:
What was the first or most impact-full RPG experience you ever had?

Avellone:
For me it was Fallout 1, when I first started talking to someone and realized that even the dialogues would shift depending on my character build. It changed how I approached the dialogue in Torment, for certain.

I would add Ultima Underworld, Wasteland 1, and Chronotrigger to this list as well. For Ultima Underworld, there were so many quests and twists that I feel have never been replicated (at the end game, the main guy I'd come to for help had NO IDEA how to defeat the badguy and asked ME what I thought we could do - awesome), Wasteland 1 (proof that game mechanics in the right context can make amazing moments, like going through Finster's Android Brain and fighting adversaries with your IQ skill), and Chronotrigger for the brave story choices they took and reactivity to that (no spoilers).

I have a whole bunch of games I consider to be "design document" games because they do a lot of design elements so well - Dead Space and System Shock 2 are among them.

Question:
What would your dream development project be? As in, if you weren't constrained by budget, time or technology, what would be the thing you'd produce?

Sawyer:
Personally, there are two settings/ideas I'd like to explore. One is a setting called Antebellum that is an alternate Earth stuck in the late 19th century at the outbreak of the Civil War after spirit armies swarm over the American South, Ireland, India, and a variety of other places. I'd mostly like to explore the idea of different power groups (e.g. slave owners and slaves) being paralyzed by inaction due to the thread of reactive spirit groups coming to the defense of any party being victimized.
The other game I've wanted to make for a long time is one in which you play a player-defined St. George in the 3rd century Near East who enters a land terrorized by the Dragon. All conversation is abstracted into incomprehensible foreign language and the entire game looks like it is a moving Greek Orthodox icon painted on wood and plaster. As George suffers in the world, the icon fades, cracks, and chips away over time. I'd want it to be more about mood, atmosphere, and subtle body language/character interaction than a scripted narrative and fierce gameplay.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
Question:
Sawyer:
Personally, there are two settings/ideas I'd like to explore. One is a setting called Antebellum that is an alternate Earth stuck in the late 19th century at the outbreak of the Civil War after spirit armies swarm over the American South, Ireland, India, and a variety of other places. I'd mostly like to explore the idea of different power groups (e.g. slave owners and slaves) being paralyzed by inaction due to the thread of reactive spirit groups coming to the defense of any party being victimized.
The other game I've wanted to make for a long time is one in which you play a player-defined St. George in the 3rd century Near East who enters a land terrorized by the Dragon. All conversation is abstracted into incomprehensible foreign language and the entire game looks like it is a moving Greek Orthodox icon painted on wood and plaster. As George suffers in the world, the icon fades, cracks, and chips away over time. I'd want it to be more about mood, atmosphere, and subtle body language/character interaction than a scripted narrative and fierce gameplay.

...I've never been as disappointed in Eternity as I am after reading that. Damn it, AMA, this isn't how you're supposed to work.

Obsidian wtf? Why are you jumping on the Facebook like whore bandwagon? I thought only publishers forced this shit.

What's wrong with Facebook likes? Likes are a way people can support them without donating. Also, likes will add to the number required for additional dungeon levels.

Either do it or don't. It'll be your loss if you don't!

PaulLFC

Could someone on Reddit ask them if there will be a backer site for us to increase pledges / select higher reward tiers after the Kickstarter has finished, like Wasteland 2 did?

So seeing that they ingnored all the romance questions in the AMA means we will not have romance options then?

You can laugh all you want, but romance options can be a good thing in an RPG if done right (bioware never did them right).

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Fuck romance options. I'm on a quest to save the world. Why would I bother trying to get some or establish a serious relationship when there are more important things going on?

Top Bottom