• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity by Obsidian Entertainment (Kickstarter) [Up: Teaser]

diamount

Banned
What's wrong with Facebook likes? Likes are a way people can support them without donating. Also, likes will add to the number required for additional dungeon levels.

Either do it or don't. It'll be your loss if you don't!

That's what I'm talking about, they're already getting exposure through game related websites and have hit the $3mill milestone. I don't see why they have to do this arbitrary popular thing via Facebook when the games interest has already peaked.

adixon

Pretty sure they've said in the past weeks that there will be "mature relationships" which can be explored or not explored with the companions, or something like that, but not necessarily a bunch of romances with the usual expected path of schmoozing --> presents --> sexing.

Note, I can't produce a link on that, because I remember reading it several weeks ago, and there are a LOT of eternity interviews at this point...

Fuck romance options. I'm on a quest to save the world. Why would I bother trying to get some or establish a serious relationship when there are more important things going on?

Who has to say it has to be serious or not. Its a role playing game, you could do what ever you want.

Pretty sure they've said in the past weeks that there will be "mature relationships" which can be explored or not explored with the companions, or something like that, but not necessarily a bunch of romances with the usual expected path of schmoozing --> presents --> sexing.

Note, I can't produce a link on that, because I remember reading it several weeks ago, and there are a LOT of eternity interviews at this point...

Now this is the serious response I wanted, thanks.

That's what I'm talking about, they're already getting exposure through game related websites and have hit the $3mill milestone. I don't see why they have to do this arbitrary popular thing via Facebook when the games interest has already peaked.

Let me explain:

Pledges will eventually stop, Facebook likes won't. 40,000 likes mean a new dungeon. It's a free dungeon! It's called getting hyped. It's called getting more exposure. My brother who is an avid gamer didn't know about this Kickstarter until I explained it to him. Not everyone knows. I missed out on amazing Kickstarters that I had no clue existed until it was too late.

It's essentially is for people who cannot pay right now or those that have already pledged and want the dungeon to grow quicker.

Of course you can say "Why don't developers just create the damn extra layer and be done with it?"

Well, if they did then they don't need to add "Big City # 2" as Stretch Goal as they've already gotten 3.2million, and an addition 0.3million won't change anything, right?

Not really. It's all about participating. Love it, embrace it. When done well, it's awesome. When done bad, it's bad.

Azih

Obsidian wtf? Why are you jumping on the Facebook like whore bandwagon? I thought only publishers forced this shit.

Facebook likes increase visibility, which leads to more backers, which leads to more money and more stretch goals met.

Kickstarters have to get the word out somehow, that's marketing and is needed by everybody not just publishers.

Update #24: Less than 30 Hours to go! Life and Death, and Audio CD Soundtrack!

By the time this update is posted, we'll have only about 30 hours or so before the end of our Project Eternity Kickstarter campaign. You've helped us make amazing progress over the weekend, easily surpassing the $3.0 Million Stronghold stretch goal -- and it looks like we may, in fact, Dream the Impossible Dream of Big City #2 at $3.5 Million.

Physical Audio CD of the Project Eternity Soundtrack

For the last final hours of the Kickstarter, we have a limited run add-on of the Project Eternity Soundtrack in a physical audio CD format for $20. You need to be at a physical tier ($65, $100, $140, $250+) to add-on the audio CD soundtrack.

78e8ae91cce2ae601ffef9329a57744b_large.jpg

Tonight, don't forget to tune in and watch some Obsidian dungeon-delvers tackle a one-shot D&D 3.5E Forgotten Realms adventure in a live stream of BLOOD IN THE BRINE (there will be weresharks). Check out the live stream on USTREAM starting at 5PM PST. A recording of the play session will be made and released later for those that miss it.

Life and Death in the Dyrwood

For today's update, I was supposed to do a lore update, but I decided that I wanted to talk about a specific subject and how lore and mechanics tie into that subject. Today's subjects are LIFE AND DEATH. Project Eternity is a fantasy RPG inspired by several A/D&D-based settings in which death is, for those with means, a temporary setback (for the Nameless One, it's even less problematic). The priests of the Forgotten Realms run around with boatloads of cure x wounds spells, the ability to banish disease, and even the power to bring the dead back to life.

In Project Eternity, prospects are not so bright. And when death comes, some try to stay, some choose to go, but most people believe that once they make the trip to the other side, there is only one way back: to begin a new life.

Common Mortality
Project Eternity's world is one with limited medicine and medical understanding. Unlike many fantasy settings, there is very little access to curative magic. Remedies for health problems often have only a palliative or placebo effect at best, owing their continued use more to folk beliefs and tradition than any basis in scientific methodology. Though soul-based magic has helped the great exploring cultures from suffering massive pandemics and has helped some individuals overcome illness over the long-term, there is no quick magical "cure" for disease or illness. Most people go through life and death in the ordinary way -- unless they put themselves in harm's way, that is.

Stamina and Health
In Project Eternity's combat, players need to be concerned with two elements of a character's vitality: Stamina and Health. The majority of damage a character takes is subtracted from his or her Stamina. Stamina represents how much general abuse a character can take before falling unconscious. Characters lose it quickly and regain it relatively rapidly, even without assistance. Soul-based abilities are able to help replenish or regenerate Stamina and are often used on the battlefield to turn the tide of combat. If a character hits 0 Stamina, he or she is knocked out. Intervention from another character can bring an unconscious character back into a fight.

For players, the Health of their party members is a tether that makes them consider how far they are willing to venture from a safe resting spot. Though Health is typically lost at a lower rate, when the PC or a companion hits 0 Health, he or she is maimed (in standard play) or killed (in Expert mode or as an option in standard play). Magic may help mitigate damage to Health and slow the tide, but once characters have died (in Expert mode), there is no known magic that can bring them back.

A Lottery of Souls
The world belongs to mortals. As time has progressed, mortals have lifted themselves out of ignorance and into ages of increased self-awareness, harnessing the power of their own souls to amazing effect. So... why worship the gods, anyway? For many mortals, worship is a matter of respect and tradition. They consider their gods (or, in some cases, all gods) to be their creators. They follow the guidelines of religion because history tells them that the gods have punished individuals -- and entire nations -- for ancient episodes of religious disrespect and dismissal.

For others, religious worship is a matter of karmic self-interest. Often, people believe that if an individual's soul arrives in the realm of a pleased god, the god will place that soul into the body of someone who will have a good life. To such believers, choosing to not worship or is to risk spiritual confusion and aimlessness in the afterlife. They speculate that the faithless are entered into a "lottery of souls" from which many will wind up no better -- or much worse -- than they did in their last life. Some of the same faiths also believe that religious apostasy or lax observance is a cause of soul splintering upon death, which many consider to be an even worse fate.

Gods for All Seasons
People worship many gods, but usually the ones who are most associated with their way of life. Farmers may worship gods of light, growth, or storms. Warriors worship gods of battle and fortune. Though some faiths are exclusionary, most people will say a prayer to any god when the circumstances are right -- farmers praying to a god of battle when their lands are invaded, warriors praying to a god of growth when they're starving in the wilderness.

Sometimes the same god -- or gods -- may have a different identity in a different part of the world. The most notable is one of the most widely honored, if not warmly embraced. Called Berath in Aedyran and Cirono in Vailian, it is the god of cycles, of doors, and of life and death itself. People commonly place or carve the figure of Berath in doorways, windows, and other "portals" from one place to another, figurative or literal.

In Eír Glanfath's ruins, explorers have discovered two common figures, Caoth i Bhád and Bád i Caothaí (Life in Death and Death in Life, respectively), semi-skeletal female and male figures who occupy positions opposite each other in doorways -- like a twinned display of the split aspects of Berath/Cirono.

Necromancy

Despite the assumed natural cycle of things, there are individuals in the world of Project Eternity who either want to know more about that cycle or who choose to alter that cycle. Broadly speaking, "necromancy" refers to any attempt to do either, whether that involves speaking with the soul of a dead mortal, attempting to tap into the unconscious past lives of a living soul, or to bind soul energy or a complete soul inside of a dead body.

These acts are viewed with differing levels of criticism depending on the culture. Many folk share the interest of necromancers and would like to understand more about the eternal cycle, but are also afraid of what they might learn. Some extremists are opposed to any and all necromancy, and tales say that a quiet and powerful cult that has worked for centuries to discredit, trap, and even murder necromancers for their efforts. To the people who oppose necromancy with such violent passion, mortal understanding should have limits, and they fear the consequences for the world should those limits be unraveled.

PE-Sagani-350x427.jpg

That's all for today's update! Thanks for reading.

FORUMS: Discuss Sagani, Life and Death, and the rest of Update #24 in the forums.

FACEBOOK: Like Obsidian on Facebook! 40,000 Likes for another dungeon level!

Update By Josh Sawyer

dude

dude
Really like the update. I like the distinction between Stamina and Health and making death a bigger deal than in most fantasy worlds. Should make for some intense battles.

And I'd be very disappointed by no Romances. Screw the haters, I want many different meaningful ways to interact with my companions and romancing is a pretty common and interesting way of interaction between people.

Souplak

So the D&D session is in 4 hours right? Or am I way off? Its in the middle of the night here so I dont want to set my clock to early.

niz

Could someone on Reddit ask them if there will be a backer site for us to increase pledges / select higher reward tiers after the Kickstarter has finished, like Wasteland 2 did?

Question:
Is there gonna be a way for us to increase pledges / select higher reward tiers after the Kickstarter has finished?

Chris Avellone:
That's been a question, and we're looking into it. Hope to have an answer soon.

adixon

yep, set up for the live DnD stream is starting in 4 hours :) You could set your alarm for five hours and still catch the beginning of play, according to Josh.

PaulLFC

Question:
Is there gonna be a way for us to increase pledges / select higher reward tiers after the Kickstarter has finished?

Chris Avellone:
That's been a question, and we're looking into it. Hope to have an answer soon.
Thanks! Hopefully they allow for it, I'll probably end up increasing my pledge before release if they do, but right now it's not the best idea.

robin2

Yup, that's all you need to do. Welcome aboard this express hype train all the way to 2014!
hahaha, thanks.

Technically though I was on the hype-train since the beginning, I just wanted to see how it went before pledging.

So know I backed with 45$ (selecting option "25$"), I expect to be able to point out that I want the expansion for those extra 20, and not a t-shirt or something :).

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I just saw the environment screenshot on the front page of the Kickstarter. Holy shit. If this is the kind of quality we can expect, this is going to be something special.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I preferred her in the first artwork
k2mM1l.jpg

I hope her artwork will be more like that.

Yeah... I hope it's more like that. I've never been a huge fan of the kind of goofy/comic-like/cartoony fantasy stuff like WoW, Torchlight and so many others.

Lusankya

So know I backed with 45$ (selecting option "25$"), I expect to be able to point out that I want the expansion for those extra 20, and not a t-shirt or something :).
No, they will guess what you want and you randomly get one of the $20 add-ons.

they send out a survey via e-mail and everyone can specify what exactly they want

I'm very curious to see what the in-game character models will look like and how cohesive they'll be with the environment.

Yeah, especially considering IE game character models were the weakest part of the visuals. But then again, I think they said they're doing the character models differently than the IE games.

I'm guessing they still won't be terribly detailed given the perspective so any great detail of the companions or NPCs will come down to their portraits mostly.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Would that make this potentially one of the biggest cRPGs ever?

I think so. Not counting Elder Scrolls randomly generated crap earlier in the series I mean.

How would you measure that just by knowing the game has 2 big cities?

duckroll

200 more backers until we get dungeon floor 10. And another $105k more to either Kickstarter or Paypal before the second big city. 26 hours to go. This is looking pretty good lol.

Zeliard

200 more backers until we get dungeon floor 10. And another $105k more to either Kickstarter or Paypal before the second big city. 26 hours to go. This is looking pretty good lol.

We get both the stronghold and the big city, along with a big ass dungeon. Let's hold hands and sing.

In the western reaches of the Dyrwood lies the Endless Paths, an ancient network of cobbled trails that wind through arches of dense overgrowth, twisting within the confines of a high castle wall as they make their way to the gates of iron-shuttered towers that jut forth from the interior. In ages past, the towers rising from the gardens to pierce the canopy of the forest once marked the dominion of the castle's relentless, crazed builder: Od Nua. But the courses of Od Nua's madness run far below the surface, stretching forever deeper into wandering catacombs and bone-cramped oubliettes unseen by living eyes for centuries. The Endless Paths, as the old Glanfathans call them, cannot be walked by the living, but the storytellers say with certainty that many strong souls have found a permanent home beneath the grieving creator's estate.

Most else that is said and written of the place is fiction or conjecture, more likely to have sprouted from the svef-enhanced imaginations of bored and boasting mercenaries than from any seed of truth. Hosts of lost souls that relentlessly stalk the living, cathedral-sized tombs overflowing with the restless victims of a horrific plague, lightless chambers sealing in the remnants of Od Nua's failed experiments. Most legends converge on a common theme: that under the castle rest myriad forgotten vaults of death and darkness glittering with Od Nua's enchanted creations and the abandoned treasure of ill-fated interlopers. So great is the fear of the castle's denizens that even drunken and drug-cheered adventurers do not joke of setting foot on the paths, lest their souls join the eternal ranks of those that have gone before them.

I just did. 100$ now.

God, what am I doing.

THE RIGHT THING

Top Bottom