• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity by Obsidian Entertainment (Kickstarter) [Up: Teaser]

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Who cares about 2nd Big City, really?

It's all about Titan's 10th floor aka the Dick Floor :drool

I imagine it starts turning into something like this:

what_c4025f_142503ouz5f.jpg

Miletius

3.5M seems like a foregone conclusion at this point. I will proceed to eat crow about my earlier prediction. I still think there is a limited pool of resources available for gaming Kickstarters but PE hasn't reached it's zenith yet.

Zeliard

That's the kinda stuff we need. They should inject some Lynch/Lovecraft influences.

On the outside lies relative beauty and docility in a picturesque setting, but underneath the surface, horror lurks.

Prax

I am still waiting last minute to donate!
Though it is tempting to just do it now to see the counter go up by one more!

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
That's the kinda stuff we need. They should inject some Lynch/Lovecraft influences.

On the outside lies relative beauty and docility in a picturesque setting, but underneath the surface, horror lurks.
And they have the writing chops to make eldritch horror work.

StuBurns

Banned
I don't want to derail the thread at all, but of the games specified as influencing this, which is generally considered to be the best? PS:T?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I don't want to derail the thread at all, but of the games specified as influencing this, which is generally considered to be the best? PS:T?

It depends on whether you're after story, combat, or both even if it doesn't excel as much in an individual category as a game that really highlights just one.

For comprehensive, I'd suggest Baldur's Gate 2.

Durante

I don't think you'll get just one answer to that.

Though probably most people will say either BG2 or PST, and fewer IWD2.

And those saying PST will be right.

duckroll

My answer was based on "which is the best game to play to get something which should be a good comparison to the sort of game Project Eternity is" though. BG2, IWD2, and PS:T are 3 very different IE games which probably can't be compared fairly in a direct way. But BG2 is probably the closest to what they're going for here.

dude

dude
My answer was based on "which is the best game to play to get something which should be a good comparison to the sort of game Project Eternity is" though. BG2, IWD2, and PS:T are 3 very different IE games which probably can't be compared fairly in a direct way. But BG2 is probably the closest to what they're going for here.

That's true, but I also think the difference isn't that great... Between PS:T and BG2, at least. They're both good for mostly the same reasons. IWD2 is a very different story because it's much more Hack n' Slashy.

epmode

To my everlasting chagrin :~(

Avellone still seems to be keen on the idea of a spiritual sequel. He was even talking about it ~two weeks before Project Eternity was launched.

This game looks like it's going to be excellent but I'd still like to see him go off the rails with a crazy scenario.

Probably BG2. PS:T isn't really a huge influence on this game.

Too early to tell on that front, surely. The PS:T influences will be the story, writing, characterisation and interaction, none of which they've been able to talk about as yet - they've been covering mechanics, combat and setting, which are the Baldur's Gate-y things, and a bit more easy to discuss at this early stage. We're already seeing some PS:T style themes being raised in the lore updates so far, but no doubt Torment's influence will be felt more in later stages of development.

Acosta

Personal take.

Planescape is the best for characters, plot, dialogue, narrative and setting.

Icewind Dale is the best for combat and dungeon crawling.

Baldur's Gate is the most well rounded. It is also epic in a way not many games can claim.

I would pick PS:T if you put a gun in my head, but I would miss aspects of the other two.

Zeliard

Avellone still seems to be keen on the idea of a spiritual sequel. He was even talking about it ~two weeks before Project Eternity was launched.

This game looks like it's going to be excellent but I'd still like to see him go off the rails with a crazy scenario.

Ditto, but I'm not complaining about what we're getting here. It seems almost impossible that this game will be anything short of amazing. Not to mention apparently quite large in scope and packed with content.

Maybe they can take the expansion into a Tormentier direction, MotB-style. ;)

duckroll

Ditto, but I'm not complaining about what we're getting here. It seems almost impossible that this game will be anything short of amazing. Not to mention apparently quite large in scope and packed with content.

Maybe they can take the expansion into a Tormentier direction, MotB-style. ;)

At the end of Project Eternity, the player becomes a god. What sort of god you become depends on how you have played the game and your impact on the world itself. The expansion is a god-realm campaign.

DO IT OBSIDIAN!

dude

dude
Personal take.

Planescape is the best for characters, plot, dialogue, narrative and setting.

Icewind Dale is the best for combat and dungeon crawling.

Baldur's Gate is the most well rounded. It is also epic in a way not many games can claim.

I would pick PS:T if you put a gun in my head, but I would miss aspects of the other two.

I said it before and I'll say it again - PS:T may win in plot and setting, but the quests and characters in BG2 are much more interesting and well done (as befitting a newer game.) Doesn't mean they're bad in PS:T, I just think it's not a clear winner. Plus, Watcher's Keep can give both Icewind Dales a fight for their money. I really think BG2 and PS:T stand side by side as the peak of the genre, it's very very hard to declare one a better game, but BG2 tends to be more communicative and accessible (which is probably why Obsidian chose it as their inspiration.)

Top Bottom