• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity by Obsidian Entertainment (Kickstarter) [Up: Teaser]

Zeliard

At the end of Project Eternity, the player becomes a god. What sort of god you become depends on how you have played the game and your impact on the world itself. The expansion is a god-realm campaign.

DO IT OBSIDIAN!

You heard the man, Sawyer.

Wasn't Sawyer supposed to mingle with our merry group here, actually? I feel like EviLore has some dark hatred for Icewind Dale. :p

StuBurns

Banned
Thanks for the replies guys, if you could forgive me one last question, for the BGs and IWDs, are they fully stand alone or do I need to know about the D&D stuff, or any other games in those series? Could I jump into BG2 without ever having known anything about D&D stuff?

EDIT: There's a remake of the first BG out in a month, I might go for that.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
At the end of Project Eternity, the player becomes a god. What sort of god you become depends on how you have played the game and your impact on the world itself. The expansion is a god-realm campaign.

DO IT OBSIDIAN!

Spoilers for MOTB:
So, the god-realm is going to consist of a small sized generic town, a wall of souls about ten feet high, and giant soul armies of 5 people?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Thanks for the replies guys, if you could forgive me one last question, for the BGs and IWDs, are they fully stand alone or do I need to know about the D&D stuff, or any other games in those series? Could I jump into BG2 without ever having known anything about D&D stuff?

I would probably suggest a party creation FAQ from like GameFAQs.

Someone in here might have a better, more specific suggestion.

I believe IWD2 has pre-made parties that are well balanced.

duckroll

You heard the man, Sawyer.

Wasn't Sawyer supposed to mingle with our merry group here, actually? I feel like EviLore has some dark hatred for Icewind Dale. :p

He's probably busy with the end of the Kickstarter... and the D&D session they're about to play. :p

PE-Sagani-350x427.jpg

/QUOTE]
I preferred her in the first artwork
k2mM1l.jpg

I hope her apparence in the game will be more like that.

First artwork makes her look like a barbarian midget (or Dwarf, or Halfling) though. Second looks human (and is she flashing us some thigh too? :p)

dude

dude

For both games some elementary D&D knowledge, while not strictly required, is very recommended or you'll easily be lost a midst the ocean of unfamiliar acronyms and terms. But both also come with a digital manual with pretty much all you need to understand the basics. Try to remember which parameters are supposed to be low and which suppose to be high - It's very intuitive but also very important.

IWD might be easier to understand since you start level 1, while in BG2 you're quite high-leveled and you must take into account many abilities, spells and whatnot. But I would recommend you go with BG2 anyway, it's a much better game in almost any conceivable way.

Also, I wouldn't go for the BG: Enhanced Edition. BG1's problems has more to do with the design itself than with any technological or technical perspective. The party interaction are dull, the characters are not fully explores, the quests are lackluster... BG: EE can't fix that. Skip it and go straight for BG2.

Patryn

I highly suggest browsing DSimpson's AD&D FAQ.

He's written the best FAQs for the IE games, so if you ever run into trouble, I suggest looking them up on GameFAQs.

Prax

I want to grab the early bird special slot when it opens as people switch over, and the expansion add-on, but I also want an in-game vanity pet and the almanac (teh other stuff in the $50 tier don't interest me much...

So it's $40 vs $70 ...

What do I do, GAF? :( I am so conflicted.

(I WOULD want to design an NPC or even enemy/rival party, but obviously, I am not made of money. >_> Shame.)

Wallach

I hope the final floor is the now much anticipated Loins of Madness. We'll delve down into the darkest depths to strike the taint of evil from the world.

duckroll

I hope the final floor is the now much anticipated Loins of Madness. We'll delve down into the darkest depths to strike the taint of evil from the world.

The boss at the bottom of the dungeon is going to be a huge dick. I just know it. Maybe literally too.

I always recommend starting with BG1 first, but many don't like that. BG2 is far and away a better game, but I don't think I would have appreciated BG2 quite as much if I hadn't gone through BG1 first.

The remake coming out should be BG1 with BG2 improved gameplay and some extra content.

Llyranor

Hahaha, I hope they make me a boss fight in the mega-dungeon

I want to grab the early bird special slot when it opens as people switch over, and the expansion add-on, but I also want an in-game vanity pet and the almanac (teh other stuff in the $50 tier don't interest me much...

So it's $40 vs $70 ...

What do I do, GAF? :( I am so conflicted.

(I WOULD want to design an NPC or even enemy/rival party, but obviously, I am not made of money. >_> Shame.)

Depends on how much you want to contribute to the RPG renaissance! Ultimately, the goal is met already anyway, so it all depends on what you want out of the package.

(go for it)

StuBurns

Banned
Thanks again chaps, I'll play one of them, still not sure which, but I'll look into them a bit more. I was dead set on PST when it was apparently coming to Steam, but that seems to have fallen through for some reason. I have been meaning to try one of these games for a couple of years, and this KS (and that crazy pretty screenshot) has got me to finally get around to it I think.

epmode

Thanks again chaps, I'll play one of them, still not sure which, but I'll look into them a bit more. I was dead set on PST when it was apparently coming to Steam, but that seems to have fallen through for some reason.

Becoming intimately familiar with GOG will make you a better person. It is known.

Prax

Hahaha, I hope they make me a boss fight in the mega-dungeon

Depends on how much you want to contribute to the RPG renaissance! Ultimately, the goal is met already anyway, so it all depends on what you want out of the package.

(go for it)

I hope you drop awesome loot!

My idea for an NPC would have been a guy with a bag of holding.. that if you killed would drop randomized, possibly high tier loot (but not the bag), but if you didn't kill him, you could trade stuff with him, including hints and info. Where he appears in the game and his level would also be random. He'd be a where's Waldo type and people could have fun speculating what he did that led up to his circumstances till that point. xD //dreams--don'tstealmyidea

I guess it was enough that I contributed a little to the GAF Inn portion. At least my influence will be felt that way, but I am trying to justify my spending for things that will only be released 2 years from now.

wrowa

He should read that one and next to nothing else. Go as far away from GameFAQs as possible in particular. The fun thing about these role-playing games is the role-playing. If you follow an FAQ chances are that you'll just imitate someone else's experience instead of making your own.

That is, except if he wants to play Planescape. You don't need to know anything in order to play and enjoy Planescape apart of one very important detail: You need a character with high int, wisdom and charisma. The game is so much focused on dialogue and story that most other builds just don't make much sense.

SerRodrik

Becoming intimately familiar with GOG will make you a better person. It is known.

It is known.

I actually have a spare ten dollars and I've been debating between getting Planescape Torment or FTL. I'm leaning toward Torment right now, in the spirit of this Kickstarter.

Perkel

Banned
I always recommend starting with BG1 first, but many don't like that. BG2 is far and away a better game, but I don't think I would have appreciated BG2 quite as much if I hadn't gone through BG1 first.

The remake coming out should be BG1 with BG2 improved gameplay and some extra content.

In BG1 you just die to randomly. Even first meeting in friendly arms inn with assassin can be lethal and somebody who tought that putting those assasins in inns should be punished. Nashkel one is 90% death ratio for low level characters. It's save load game for newbies. Also low level characters in D&D are not that fun to play since they miss a lot and their skills are mostly useless. Being a 1st level mage is ...

That is why i think it should be played after BG2. Because you will know how to play and you won't die randomly anymore

BG2 sure there are some hard fights but thanks to pacing you don't feel being cheated.

Minsc

Gold Member
In BG1 you just die to randomly. Even first meeting in friendly arms inn with assassin can be lethal and somebody who tought that putting those assasins in inns should be punished. Nashkel one is 90% death ratio for low level characters. It's save load game for newbies. Also low level characters in D&D are not that fun to play since they miss a lot and their skills are mostly useless. Being a 1st level mage is ...

That is why i think it should be played after BG2. Because you will know how to play and you won't die randomly anymore

BG2 sure there are some hard fights but thanks to pacing you don't feel being cheated.

Solution, play Icewind Dale first, then BG1 then BG2. You'll have a better handle on what type of main character you want to play for BG1 having made a party of 6 from IWD covering all the basics (mage/cleric/fighter/theif/druid/ranger/etc). BG1 isn't really even that hard even when you have < 20hp if you just use weapon profiences properly and equip everyone with ranged weapons.

StuBurns

Banned
It is known.

I actually have a spare ten dollars and I've been debating between getting Planescape Torment or FTL. I'm leaning toward Torment right now, in the spirit of this Kickstarter.
Go for it, I'm going to go with PST, maybe GAF can have one of those Lets Play threads in a couple of weeks for it, people are bound to be hot for it after this KS.

epmode

I've tried to play Icewind Dale but the initial 6 player roll-em-up stops me every time. I'd say that I hope this game doesn't have character creation dice rolls if I wasn't 100% certain that they won't bother.

dude

dude
I've tried to play Icewind Dale but the initial 6 player roll-em-up stops me every time.

Ugh, yeah. I hate creating whole groups.

Solution, play Icewind Dale first, then BG1 then BG2. You'll have a better handle on what type of main character you want to play for BG1 having made a party of 6 from IWD.

Really? It's not that hard to jump straight into BG2. There's no need for him to waste his time on much lesser games. Time is a valuable commodity, and these games are long. Much easier to just go for BG2, if he liked that he'll have a much easier time getting into the other games.

Perkel

Banned
Solution, play Icewind Dale first, then BG1 then BG2. You'll have a better handle on what type of main character you want to play for BG1 having made a party of 6 from IWD covering all the basics (mage/cleric/fighter/theif/druid/ranger/etc). BG1 isn't really even that hard even when you have < 20hp if you just use weapon profiences properly and equip everyone with ranged weapons.

That is a good answer. It depend if he want to spent rest of this and next year on RPGs because ID BG1 and BG2 need a lot of time.

Minsc

Gold Member
Really? It's not that hard to jump straight into BG2. There's no need for him to waste his time on much lesser games. Time is a valuable commodity, and these games are long. Much easier to just go for BG2, if he liked that he'll have a much easier time getting into the other games.

Icewind Dale 1 is a lot of fun, not a waste of time at all, and it's not even terribly long (compared to the Baldur's Gate 1 or especially 2). You could probably finish it in under a week if you dedicated a few longer sessions. Icewind Dale is also nice because it covers the lower level gameplay without dwelling on it for an entire 60+ hour game like BG1. I also think Baldur's Gate 1 is not a waste of time either, but I understand that's more reasonable to skip if you can't deal with the gameplay/pacing from it. Icewind Dale also has some really great atmosphere and music too.

Icewind Dale 1 is a lot of fun, not a waste of time at all, and it's not even terribly long (compared to the Baldur's Gate 1 or especially 2). You could probably finish it in under a week if you dedicated a few longer sessions. Icewind Dale is also nice because it covers the lower level gameplay without dwelling on it for an entire 60+ hour game like BG1. I also think Baldur's Gate 1 is not a waste of time either, but I understand that's more reasonable to skip if you can't deal with the gameplay/pacing from it. Icewind Dale also has some really great atmosphere and music too.

Icewind Dale turned out a lot better than I expected. When it was coming out I figured it would just be a distraction to tide me over until BG2 hit. But it was actually quite good, and yeah the music was phenomenal.

Anno

Think we need a Let's Play: Temple of Elemental Evil. If Obsidian can capture 75% of the magic of that combat system I will love them forever.

Obsidian did answer my question :D

You mentioned in an interview that there is no resurrection, and very little healing, in Project Eternity. What exactly does that mean for the Priest, who is traditionally very big on those two things - will he basically be a combat focused class?

Also, assuming there are "undead" in the game, will there be a "soul" twist to them?

[–]Obsidian_Ent 20 points 6 hours ago

JESawyer: It means the priest can focus on party buffs and being directly involved in combat instead of being a healing battery. Also, priests can restore Stamina, but several classes have similar abilities. Health is the statistic that requires rest to recover.

There's a little bit about undead and necromancy in today's update.

Anno

Already the third best day of donations. $3.5 is pretty much a given at this point. Kinda wish there was a $3.6 or 7!

Top Bottom