• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity by Obsidian Entertainment (Kickstarter) [Up: Teaser]

volturnus

Banned
I know this is the wrong place to post this, but I really want to finish Obsidian's entire library. But Neverwinter Nights 2 runs like garbage on Windows 7, despite me having a fantastic gaming computer.

Is there any way to get this thing running not so shittily?
Lower shadow quality to medium, it won't hurt the visuals that much and it takes a lot more processing than it should in this game.

Himself

Look up Avellone's comment regarding streamlining RPGs for console interfaces. It makes it pretty clear that there's absolutely no way that a console release is going to happen.

Fair enough. This is something I'd love to support, but probably won't have a PC for quite some time. Maybe I'll toss in a few bucks regardless.

Corto

I think it is the latter, you don't want to blow your KS wad the first day.

I think that's really what is happening here. Obsidian was lucky enough to watch Double Fine and InXile Kickstarter campaigns and learn from them. I remember we made fun of InXile because at one point in the campaign it seemed that the only thing that Fargo could offer as a carrot was "more depth". hehe I wouldn't be surprised if Obsidian took notes and will drop regular small updates to keep the interest high through the campaign.

Glad that they waited until they watched, learned, and refined what was successful on KS before to start theirs off with such strength. The talk last year, the rising profile due to tying up with InXile for WL2, and the coordinated interviews and countdown...brilliantly executed, Obsidian.

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
I'm not pledging on this due being already in enough KS for the year, but I will gladly buy this game in 2014 full price.

~Kinggi~

Banned
I hate to speculate but honestly i feel a lot of what made the old games amazing was the brilliant pre-rendered backgrounds with great art styles. Im pretty sure they are gonna go with a 3d engine here. Which can end up looking a bit lame if done wrong.

Almighty

I hate to speculate but honestly i feel a lot of what made the old games amazing was the brilliant pre-rendered backgrounds with great art styles. Im pretty sure they are gonna go with a 3d engine here. Which can end up looking a bit lame if done wrong.

I will have to double check, but I am pretty sure I read in a interview that they are doing the 2d pre-rendered backgrounds for this game

Saige

I must do better.
Oh man this was great news to come home to.

Pledged $35 for now, but I might bump it up to get a boxed/collector copy later though.

So, newbie KS question; how do I bump up my pledge? I did $50 for the $35+ reward, but I figure adding another $15 for a boxed copy is likely a better idea.

zkylon

zkylewd
I hope they get 10 times the amount they are asking. I don't want Obsidian making "indie" budget games.
I don't mind them doing indie stuff, but Obs sure makes magic happen when given a lot more money.

So, newbie KS question; how do I bump up my pledge? I did $50 for the $35+ reward, but I figure adding another $15 for a boxed copy is likely a better idea.
Big blue button that says manage your pledge. Just next to the video.

Sharp

In seven months, we've gone from accepting that there was not even the slightest chance of Obsidian making a game like this again to not even being surprised at its announcement. That's amazing.

Zeliard

In seven months, we've gone from accepting that there was not even the slightest chance of Obsidian making a game like this again to not even being surprised at its announcement. That's amazing.

Kickstarter has opened up the opportunity to leapfrog publishers.

~Kinggi~

Banned
It shall be interesting when the first set of kickstarters actually start releasing. Everyone is getting in on it now before the shit hits the fan. Lol. I am undecided if fans will be more forgiving or less. I think there are arguments for both.

epmode

Kickstarter is one of the best things to happen to videogames in a decade, not jokes.

Mindlog

It shall be interesting when the first set of kickstarters actually start releasing. Everyone is getting in on it now before the shit hits the fan. Lol. I am undecided if fans will be more forgiving or less. I think there are arguments for both.
For me the bigger fan fecalated mess would be an industry without Obsidian.

Pooya

now that the kickstarter is certainly going to be successful, I'm wondering how Obsidian is going to operate in future, will they go after more "AAA" projects with some publisher after they ship SouthPark? it looked like they had trouble making new deals. Maybe they go after doing several smaller projects like this, similar to how DoubleFine changed their strategy after Brutal Legend and it seems they are doing fine now. Obsidian's situation looks very similar to DF to me actually but I'm not sure if they can manage the company like that, I think Obsidian has way more staff than DF.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
obsidiankickstarter.jpg

This announcement was likely the only thing that could possibly give me nerd chills in the entire medium of video games, and it happened, that dream scenario happened.

Come on.

~Kinggi~

Banned
now that the kickstarter is certainly going to be successful, I'm wondering how Obsidian is going to operate in future, will they go after more "AAA" projects with some publisher after they ship SouthPark? it looked like they had trouble making new deals. Maybe they go after doing several smaller projects like this, similar to how DoubleFine changed their strategy after Brutal Legend and it seems they are doing fine now. Obsidian's situation looks very similar to DF to me actually but I'm not sure if they can manage the company like that, I think Obsidian has way more staff than DF.

I do think people's jobs being on the line here might be driving this kickstarter. Starting a new IP that they own and can do right is a valuable first step to keep them afloat.

obsidiankickstarter.jpg

This announcement was likely the only thing that could possibly give me nerd chills in the entire medium of video games, and it happened, that dream scenario happened.

Come on.

Make sure you donate in the GAF INN thread. We need a GAF Inn.

Top Bottom