• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity by Obsidian Entertainment (Kickstarter) [Up: Teaser]

Drazgul

iCOCjEUx8iQ2B.png

$400.000!

NOD-Redford%20approves.gif

szaromir

Banned

Dat pedigree
Why would they skip NWN2 and its add-ons? They're magnificent.

Anyway, I know it's pretty shallow of me and that they won't do it anyway, but I always loved those 60-120 seconds long intro CGI videos that those old RPG had to let you get the feel of the game's world. It's pretty fluff and costs quite a bit though, so I'm sure it's out of reach.

Zeliard

I am slightly disappointed that there isn't more info. I expected them to have a good deal more to show and tell, but maybe that'll come in the next few weeks.

I'm curious how far the character creation element goes; presumably the protagonist's background and raison d'etre are largely set for story purposes (the Watcher?), so I wonder if creation is mostly limited to things like looks, class, and stats. Clearly you're meeting set companions along the way, so it isn't going as far as Icewind Dale's party creation.

I will overcome my dislike of NWN2's interface and play MotB tonight. I hear it's pretty good.

It's magnificent.

“@jesawyer: *double-checks stretch goals worksheet* *notes current funding* *comically gulps while pulling at shirt collar w/ one finger*”

Lol

szaromir

Banned
Two last addons yes but NWN2 and first addon weren't so OBSIDIAN style same as DS3.
Mask of the Betrayer was the first add-on, no?

Obsidian made KOTOR2, NWN2, Alpha Protocol, New Vegas, DS3. A lot of variety there, impossible to determine "Obsidian style".

I will overcome my dislike of NWN2's interface and play MotB tonight. I hear it's pretty good.
NWN2 was ...alright. But MotB was one of the best WRPGs of the entire generation. The pacing, soundtrack, themes, and dialogue were all top notch.

I'm throwing down $100. Mainly because I'm ashamed for yet to purchase an Obsidian title at launch, so this will by my attempt for forgiveness.

Azih

I really hope they do Onyx. DSIII was so pretty. Not mind-blowing, but undoubtedly pretty.

This kind of project is why they built Onyx in the first place. Now they can just focus on content and not so much on technical issues and struggling with getting things working. It's also why Infinity Engine games were so packed with content. If the engine's solid most of the effort goes into actually adding stuff to the game.

Now just wait for the first technical update to prove me wrong and reveal that they're using Gamebryo!

Zyzyxxz

Oh gawd, I thought that funding Shadowrun, Wasteland 2, and Castle Story would be enough for me but now I feel like I'm on a kickstarter binge.

I don't give a shit about the games that come out on console anymore. I rather spend my dollars funding games I actually want to play and that's what makes funding kickstarter games so attractive.

Sotha Sil

NWN2 was ...alright. But MotB was one of the best WRPGs of the entire generation. The pacing, soundtrack, themes, and dialogue were all top notch.

Yeah, I stubbornly wanted to finish NW2's main campaign before starting MotB, and always lost interest at some point. I'll just make a generic lvl ~14 warrior and enjoy the story.

Ricker

I am late with the kickstarter stuff and never really looked into it I must admit but this has me interested...but someone explain to me why Obsidian didn't need a Kickstarter for Fallout New Vegas or Dungeon Siege III or any of their games in the last 20 years and they need some now...

Sharp

Noth is a beast for kickstarters. He already donated 10k.

It is absolutely amazing it reach 400k in just few hours. 1,1 mln isn't any problem.

They won't menage think out stretch goals if money will be flowing in that speed.
As with all megakickstarters, it will slow down tremendously over the next few days and collapse to a trickle of funding. People will express concern that it will make even one of its stretch goals. Then it will pick up massively at the end and everyone will be happy.

Perkel

Banned
It's going to drastically slow down in the next few hours/days.

2.5 or 3 mil sounds about right.

Do you even know that most of people still don't know about it ? Also i pretty sure a lot of people will upgrade their pledge.

DTKT

I am late with the kickstarter stuff and never really looked into it I must admit but this has me interested...but someone explain to me why Obsidian didn't need a Kickstarter for Fallout New Vegas or Dungeon Siege III or any of their games in the last 20 years and they need some now...

Dungeon Siege and New Vegas were licensed from outside studios. They gave them money so they could so actually function and create the game.

It lets them survive, but they are going from project to project, always being in a very uncertain situation.

Azih

but someone explain to me why Obsidian didn't need a Kickstarter for Fallout New Vegas or Dungeon Siege III or any of their games in the last 20 years and they need some now...

1. Kickstarter wasn't around 20 years ago.
2. Kickstarter as a viable means for funding games in the mill to 5 mill range only came about less than a year ago (Thanks Based Schafer)
3. Publishers funded New Vegas and DS III, publishers are leery of funding new franchises like Project Eternity

Zeliard

As with all megakickstarters, it will slow down tremendously over the next few days and collapse to a trickle of funding. People will express concern that it will make even one of its stretch goals. Then it will pick up massively at the end and everyone will be happy.

This will happen for... eternity.

hyuk hyuk

zkylon

zkylewd
This kind of project is why they built Onyx in the first place. Now they can just focus on content and not so much on technical issues and struggling with getting things working. It's also why Infinity Engine games were so packed with content. If the engine's solid most of the effort goes into actually adding stuff to the game.

Now just wait for the first technical update to prove me wrong and reveal that they're using Gamebryo!
lol don't even kid about that.

szaromir

Banned

Planetary Annihilation had pretty consistent pledges throughout the KS campaign, with peaks in the second day and at the end.
http://www.kicktraq.com/projects/659943965/planetary-annihilation-a-next-generation-rts/#chart-daily

You also get bumps throughout depending on stretchgoals. I remember wasteland 2 got a big bump when avellone came on board

Perkel

Banned
You also get bumps throughout depending on stretchgoals. I remember wasteland 2 got a big bump when avellone came on board

robust mod support and this thing will fly to stratosphere. People @ Spellhold and many other places are creating mods for years to BG2. Even Arcanum has devoted bunch of dudes same as bloodlines.

Necrovex

1. Kickstarter wasn't around 20 years ago.
2. Kickstarter as a viable means for funding games in the mill to 5 mill range only came about less than a year ago (Thanks Based Schafer)
3. Publishers funded New Vegas and DS III, publishers are leery of funding new franchises like Project Eternity

For 3, a publisher might be more willing to invest into a product if they see an interest in the product. I believe that was the situation for Republique.

Ceebs

In addition to everything that has been said, they also got screwed out of bonuses and royalties with New Vegas thanks to missing a metacritic milestone by a single point for a game that sold millions.

Any time you can remove your possible earnings fate from the hands of game reviewers the better.

Gunsmithx

Finally went in for my first kickstarter! I only put 20 down for now but I'm very very tempted by the 250 tier... we'll see.

Ceebs

I really want to know about the depth of the systems.

Are we talking D&D levels of depth where having to read the manual will be key, or something like Dragon Age where at first glace it looks to have all depth of the old games, but in reality is overly simplistic.

Top Bottom