• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity by Obsidian Entertainment (Kickstarter) [Up: Teaser]

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Can they meet their goal in one day? It's still snowballin' and we'll know later tonight if it's even possible, but man, there's not a better dev out there that deserves this. Love you Obsidian.

Flakster99

Finally went in for my first kickstarter! I only put 20 down for now but I'm very very tempted by the 250 tier... we'll see.

Went in for 35, but I am also very very tempted at the 250 tier....

After that bullshit with their bonuses being withheld, feels so god damn good to see this happen!

Ricker

Ah ok thanks for the explanations guys...for me Kickstarter equalled small Indie game support stuff,was surprised when I saw Obsidian in the mix.

Zeliard

I really hope they bring Torment's journal system back. That thing was awesome.

in b4 "updated my journal" jokes ;)

I really want to know about the depth of the systems.

Are we talking D&D levels of depth where having to read the manual will be key, or something like Dragon Age where at first glace it looks to have all depth of the old games, but in reality is overly simplistic.

J.E. Sawyer

Lime

I know Kicktraq is methodologically incorrect, but funny nonetheless:

kicktraqeri1e.png

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Can they meet their goal in one day? It's still snowballin' and we'll know later tonight if it's even possible, but man, there's not a better dev out there that deserves this. Love you Obsidian.

It will! They added another 50k in less than hour and I don't think its even been live for 6 hours yet.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
It will! They added another 50k in less than hour.

I am envious of the people that can just throw money at it, huge amounts - like, say, Felicia Day or other luminaries. We're unknowingly putting these people in the games themselves and ensuring this weird historical record of who IS gaming by having rewards like this. It's weird, but neat.

I just wanna be in a game and I don't have that kind of cash. #weh

mclem

Project Eternity is shattering Double Fine and InXile first day numbers:

dailypledges.png

dailypledges.png

Those charts are a little misleading because the first bar represents "From launch 'til midnight" not "First 24 hours". Pretty sure DFA got 1M in the first 24 hours.

Tex117

Banned
Mask of the Betrayer was the first add-on, no?

Obsidian made KOTOR2, NWN2, Alpha Protocol, New Vegas, DS3. A lot of variety there, impossible to determine "Obsidian style".

Not at all. Well-written games that perhaps are a tad too ambitious, but awesome nonetheless...

Thats Obsidian's style.

inky

Have they talked about other ways of supporting this? (outside of KS I mean) If not I'll have to wait for the game to come out I guess.

This is getting funded ridiculously fast. I'd chip in now, but having to buy Mists of Pandaria + Subscription + Server Transfer(s) is going to put too much of a dent in my wallet. I'll see what it's like in October.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
This is definitely where Obsidian should go. I would love to fund them, but at the moment I can't. Luckily this Kickstarter is up for 30 more days, so they may be the first KS that I put money into.

Go Obsidian! Go well written games and complex and sophisticated game systems!

Himself

Apologies if this has been asked already, but is there ANY possibility of us console plebeians getting our paws on this?

wrowa

Apologies if this has been asked already, but is there ANY possibility of us console plebeians getting our paws on this?

Look up Avellone's comment regarding streamlining RPGs for console interfaces. It makes it pretty clear that there's absolutely no way that a console release is going to happen.

Read the OP and didn't see it mentioned but any idea on what kind of "fantasy world" setting?
At stage, I think this is all they've hinted
Buck: What can you tell us about the entirely new fantasy world you're building, and would you categorize it as high/low magic or high/low/heroic fantasy? Why did you decide to go with fantasy instead of a lesser used theme, and what are some unique elements that set your world apart from the many others already out there?

Feargus: We talked a lot about the genre and to be honest we kept on coming back to fantasy. With all the experience we have had with a lot of varied fantasy settings, we are really looking for to taking our unique approach with factions, characters and mature themes to the setting. Ultimately, we really feel that what an RPG is about is the characters and the story – not the setting. Hit points are hit points whether you are killing past, present or future zombies. What engages and what keeps you going in an RPG are characters that you love and hate and story lines that tug at your emotions.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Okay, awake. Nice to see, will throw my money at it naturally, and very excited to see what comes of this. Happy that they're going for original everything and not an existing ruleset.

However, if it weren't for the names attached and thus my confidence in the project outright, I'd call this a pretty shitty Kickstarter. There's a whole lot of talky talk about their promises and intentions, but nothing of substance.

Maybe that's their intention though. Hook the people they know will be on board just because of the names and pedigree with the summary, then drip feed more concrete info over the next month to hook in those on the fence.

Zeliard

Yeah I expected more info off the bat. But I guess it's relatively unnecessary, since the words "Obsidian Isometric RPG" are enough to get many people on board.

zkylon

zkylewd
Okay, awake. Nice to see, will throw my money at it naturally, and very excited to see what comes of this. Happy that they're going for original everything and not an existing ruleset.

However, if it weren't for the names attached and thus my confidence in the project outright, I'd call this a pretty shitty Kickstarter. There's a whole lot of talky talk about their promises and intentions, but nothing of substance.

Maybe that's their intention though. Hook the people they know will be on board just because of the names and pedigree with the summary, then drip feed more concrete info over the next month to hook in those on the fence.
I get the same feeling, they seem to have a lot of lore and background already planned out so I'd be surprised if they didn't already have artwork, writing and such prepared to show over the next month.

Or maybe they just fishhooked us with MCA+JES+Cain and granted, it works.

Almighty

Yeah I expected more info off the bat. But I guess it's relatively unnecessary, since the words "Obsidian Isometric RPG" are enough to get many people on board.

The words "Obsidian RPG" is all I needed.

On a side note damn is it going fast right now. I always thought that an Obsidian Kickstarter would do well, but I kinda always assumed the Obsidian fanboy in me was clouding my judgement.

wrowa

Yep, I said the same thing earlier in this thread. I'm pretty sure they plan continuous updates over the span of the kickstarter in order to keep the attention at a high level.

Fucking pledged. If this is even half as good as Torment, it will be the best game I've played in a long, long time. Only 20 bucks, but hey. They seem to be doing pretty well with this Kickstarter already...

Famassu

160$ pledged. :S Sounds like a dream WRPG project for me, got to be a bigger part of this than just getting the digital copy.

I know this is the wrong place to post this, but I really want to finish Obsidian's entire library. But Neverwinter Nights 2 runs like garbage on Windows 7, despite me having a fantastic gaming computer.

Is there any way to get this thing running not so shittily?

I think it is the latter, you don't want to blow your KS wad the first day.

Top Bottom