• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity by Obsidian Entertainment (Kickstarter) [Up: Teaser]

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Please remember that those will be Obsidian created companions. So each of them will be miles better than any companion from BG2.

Also it doesn't mean that they won't do some filler companions like it was in Arcanum.

Also number of party members is not yet finalized. In my opinion it should be max 4 or 5. 6 tends to be to much spam click and less strategic.

Well it's already 6 character party no?

dude

dude
Cernd is interesting as a case study in how you can somehow make a FUCKING WEREWOLF into the lamest character imaginable.

And Korgan is awesome.

Yeah, well, the lamest character in BG2 is still a pretty good character!

Korgan easily had one of the best epilogues (BG2:TOB spoilers!)

Almighty

Well looks like I was wrong. I was sure that 3.5 million was out of reach when they announced that stretch goal. Now here it is 3.65 and still going strong. Now I wonder what the final total will be.

Stripes55

Neo Member
I disagree, BG2 had what, like 12 at least? For a full party of six, you'd wanna have at least some variety between playthroughs.

EDIT: scratch that, 14 companions, not even counting ToB. 8 is a tad low.

Ideally, I'd like to see one companion for each class, but again, only if they can do each one right.

Huh? Name one companion in BG2 who wasn't very good or interesting. Even Cernd had cool quests and interactions! BG2's characters easily triumphs pretty much any other RPG, even the ones considered more boring.

BG1 did have boring character though.

Dak'kon couldn't hope to be as interesting as Anomen's quest and personal journey. Depth is a very loose term, what matters are the interactions and dialogues. BG2 wins over PS:T in that regard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NzlZ2GADaI

dionysus

Yaldog
If you are just looking for tactical variety, don't forget the adventurers hall or whatever it is where you can create your own companions.

I think the existence of custom companions gives the developers the leeway to go in depth with just a few well-written companions, instead of splitting their attention 12 ways.

Update #26: One Final Stretch Goal

And here it is...

$4m Stretch Goal - Enhance the Whole Game

OK! After much team deliberation we have one final ultimate stretch goal. At $4.0m we will be enhancing the whole game. We will use live instrumentation for the soundtrack, add developer in-game commentary, and use every dollar between $3.5m and $4m to enhance the game. Also at $4.0m Chris Avellone will be forced to play Arcanum.

a781e9c5cbf6faea7a66acb51107dee4_large.jpg

We are streaming live now on Twitch and UStream. We will be playing board games, answering your questions, and having fun!

Thank you everyone!

PaulLFC

And here it is...

$4m Stretch Goal - Enhance the Whole Game

OK! After much team deliberation we have one final ultimate stretch goal. At $4.0m we will be enhancing the whole game. We will use live instrumentation for the soundtrack, add developer in-game commentary, and use every dollar between $3.5m and $4m to enhance the game. Also at $4.0m Chris Avellone will be forced to play Arcanum.

Aeana

In-game developer commentary would be amazing. I've always wished that would have caught on more outside of Valve's games.

I'll gladly take developer commentary in-game, if not added already. That would be a nice milestone, which shouldn't cost a lot.

Obsidian Entertainment said:

YES! THEY LISTENED! Love you all so much! <3

Also, game enhancement? Nice! Better be FMV! I want a few of you to suffer! lol.

saxman717

Banned
Man, I am in right now for $45.......base game (digital) + expansion................

I am SO tempted to up my pledge to $280 to get the Collector's Box edition, signed, plus the beta, plus the Collector's hardcover book, plus Wasteland 2

So, so tempted...............please convince me not to....................or convince me to...........I don't know..................make this Kickstarter end!!!!

Screaming_Gremlin

My QB is a Dick and my coach is a Nutt
Ah screw it. I'll cut back on my discretionary spending on other video games this fall and up my pledge to $500. I want the signed hardcover book. I did my part to get us to $4 million.

Corto

I need to get out of this thread... but I won't. This hype is infectious and my wife already is suspecting that I'm up to something... hehehe So glad though that they'll reach my first days prediction of 4 millions and some change. Yes. They'll reach it.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
Man, I am in right now for $45.......base game (digital) + expansion................

I am SO tempted to up my pledge to $280 to get the Collector's Box edition, signed, plus the beta, plus the Collector's hardcover book, plus Wasteland 2

So, so tempted...............please convince me not to....................or convince me to...........I don't know..................make this Kickstarter end!!!!

This is once in a life time oppotunity in recent times to experience an RPG that will not be dumbed down by publisher input and the developer has full control with a new IP that will be deep in story and gameplay. Do it son!

Dammit, I originally pledged $140 then went back down to $50 when I saw it was getting funded and could use the $$$ on school stuff, then I went up to $77 to get the expansion and strategy guide and now I'm damn tempted to just go back to $140, bringing it full circle.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
The best part is if we fail to reach it I'll feel mildly disappointed instead of deeply, unlike the city goal!

Except for the Arcanum bit : (

Alienups

Didn't have the money to pledge for this earlier and now that i have the money i can't pledge anyway since i don't have a creditcard and transferring money to paypal takes too long

FML lol

Famassu

A question, they just name-dropped a couple of fantasy authors, who were they? I'm always in for more good fantasy sagas and I've already read my Martins & Hobbs and & whatnot.

Top Bottom