• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity by Obsidian Entertainment (Kickstarter) [Up: Teaser]

Durante

It's actually doing better per hour now than it did on the first day:

currentdiffhps96.png

Ha, they ran out of stretch goal ideas so they were just like, "Fuck it, give us $4.0 million and we'll give this game the Valve treatment."

Edit: Also noticed that the Endless Dungeon image has stalled at 10 levels even though there are enough backers for 11 levels.

Famassu

Yup I agree and I do hope it makes the last stretch goal and the game is good but I am still incredibly unsure of the game and will be till after it's released, I just don't have much faith in Obsidian as a developer.
You don't have faith in one of the best CRPG developers with some of the most talented writers, RPG designers etc. working for them?

Lulz.

Also, ~4 million is more than plenty for this kind of project. Less voice acting, not as much focus on 3d graphixxxxxx, no expensive pre-rendered FMVs, no huge marketing campaigns etc. cut off a lot of the fluff that is in current AAA level 20 million $+ game development.

saxman717

Banned
Man, I am in right now for $45.......base game (digital) + expansion................

I am SO tempted to up my pledge to $280 to get the Collector's Box edition, signed, plus the beta, plus the Collector's hardcover book, plus Wasteland 2

So, so tempted...............please convince me not to....................or convince me to...........I don't know..................make this Kickstarter end!!!!

This is once in a life time oppotunity in recent times to experience an RPG that will not be dumbed down by publisher input and the developer has full control with a new IP that will be deep in story and gameplay. Do it son!

Do it! Once in a lifetime opportunity! Help Obsidian make the best RPG possible!

eternity1.jpg

My friends, it is done...........onward to $4,000,000!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow the numbers seem to be jumping all around. I saw 3,725,000 for a moment and then it fall down to 3,693,000. What gives?

I hope they reach 3,880,000 on the KS page + 120,000 via PayPal = 4,000,000

FACE

Banned
Wow the numbers seem to be jumping all around. I saw 3,725,000 for a moment and then it fall down to 3,693,000. What gives?

I hope they reach 3,880,000 on the KS page + 120,000 via PayPal = 4,000,000

Kickstarter is getting wrecked by the traffic, I think the same thing happened during DFA's last day.

Man, I am in right now for $45.......base game (digital) + expansion................

I must have missed something. When was the expansion part of the rewards tier? It doesn't seem to be right now. I'll up my pledge if I'm overlooking it.

EDIT: Nevermind, I figured it out! I'm a little slow sometimes.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
You know it really does feel like the golden days of PC gaming are coming back in full swing thanks to the power and beauty of the internet and growing passionate gaming communities. Having developer freedom for things like this with great success is just a tip of the iceberg of what "niche" genres can return in full swing that would of been laughed/mocked at if they were ever pitched to publishers. I am so proud to seeing history like this but with more older eyes :).

The PC game? They say that like it is a bad thing. Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura was awesome.

The joke is he's never played it despite it being one of the seminal works of his current codeveloper Tim Cain

I must have missed something. When was the expansion part of the rewards tier? It doesn't seem to be right now. I'll up my pledge if I'm overlooking it.

Just go into manage your pledge, leave your reward tier alone, and at the top add the amount for the desired add-on rewards, there's a list at the PE blog. They'll email you later to confirm which add-ons you want.

Really wish the t-shirt wasn't so expensive :/

Lothars

You don't have faith in one of the best CRPG developers with some of the most talented writers, RPG designers etc. working for them?

Lulz.
I am just not a fan because I feel every game they released other than Dungeon Siege 3 which isn't a very good game has had some reason to play but constantly marred by tons of bugs and other issues.

It's always said that it's the publishers fault and Obsidian is blameless for them, So if Project eternity comes out and is fantastic without the same issues Obsidian gets more faith from me but I am not going to assume anything until it happens especially when I feel Obsidian hasn't earned it.

I have been a backer since day one and I don't regret it.

I upped my pledge just this morning too.

If you scroll down the main Kickstarter screen there is a banner saying "Add-Ons", if you read it you'll see that if you increase your pledge to 45$ (while still staying in the 25$ tier) you're getting the expansion as well.

The expansion is a digital add-on for $20. Simply add $20 to your pledge amount and you can allocate the extra money to add-ons via the survey that will be sent after the project is funded.

Dreavus

I'm in for $25. Saw this when it first launched and said to myself "I'll keep an eye on it." I randomly come back to it today and see there is only 4 hours left, lol. Close one!

Famassu

I am just not a fan because I feel every game they released other than Dungeon Siege 3 which isn't a very good game has had some reason to play but constantly marred by tons of bugs and other issues.

It's always said that it's the publishers fault and Obsidian is blameless for them, So if Project eternity comes out and is fantastic without the same issues Obsidian gets more faith from me but I am not going to assume anything until it happens especially when I feel Obsidian hasn't earned it.
Part of it is publisher involvement, part of it is the shitty game engines they've had to use (UE3 isn't good for RPGs and Bethesda's engine is one of the worst pieces of shit to ever grace this planet), part is the fact that they make some of the most ambitious RPGs and bugs are simply a side effect of that. Mass Effect is some straightforward shit and it's still a buggy POS. Bugs are in much inferior games like Bethesda's mediocre games, at least Obsidian's games offer well thought out RPG mechanics & stories that don't underestimate the intelligence of the gamers.

Besides, every classic RPG that's comparable to Obsidian's games have been marred with bugs & glitches starting from the likes of Fallout 2 & Arcanum.

the most important question right now is - will we reach the 13th floor? Unlikely, but not impossible

Not so sure they're actually going to still add more. They've removed the backer sounter bar from their KS page entirely and still haven't updated the 10 level pic to 11. I don't they ever anticipated having so many extra levels and might just be drawing the line at 10, more backers or no.

ghostmind

Looking at the $250 tier, the text says that the Collectors book is a "Project Eternity Collector's Book" while the $500 text says that it is a "Project Eternity *Hardcover* Collector's Book, Signed". However the tier pictures state that both the $250 and $500 tier Collector's books are hardcover?

Top Bottom