• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity by Obsidian Entertainment (Kickstarter) [Up: Teaser]

They wouldn't even put an in-game inn guestbook with our names? That would be sooo easy to do.

Oh no. I'm talking about name in credits, Sorry.

Guestbook has been discussed in the thread. Express your idea and it may make it in! :D

As of yet, there has been no formal discussion with devs on what will be in the game (Kickstarter isn't even done! :p), and we are just warming up with what needs to be the basics that every inn or tavern has. The rest of "add-ons" will be discussed when all the tallying is done.

wrowa

Kind of disappointed about the lack of a new stretchgoal. I hoped they'd add something funny. Yesterday's idea of getting Avellone to play Arcanum for the first time together with Tim Cain and live stream it sounded kinda fun.

Suairyu

Banned
Oh no. I'm talking about name in credits, Sorry.

Guestbook has been talked about. Express your idea and it may make it in! :D
Realistically, how much do you want as a minimum donation?

I'm not raking it in right now and I've already spent more on this game than I'm accustomed to (Obsidian only had to rename it The Sims: Project Eternity and I would have given them £100!)

I also don't want to be a cunt and only flick £1 your way.

You can get your name in the game credits by donating to the KS.
Son I don't want my name in the credits. I meant more as getting my name IN the GAF inn.

SerRodrik

No less companions is better. Eight is very high as is.

Feargus was just saying in the comments:

@Darklord We are going to talk about more companions, but we did not want to promise it. It is a ton of time and there are not alot of writers that can do as indepth ones as we are planning. Our hope is to do more, but, in case we don't end up being comfortable with it - we didn't want to promise.-Feargus

So it's being considered, but it'll only happen if they can do it right.

I disagree, BG2 had what, like 12 at least? For a full party of six, you'd wanna have at least some variety between playthroughs.

EDIT: scratch that, 14 companions, not even counting ToB. 8 is a tad low.

dude

dude

If they can keep quality, the more companions the better. BG2 had like, what, 16? And pretty much all of them were different and interesting. I know that's too much to ask, but 10 seems like a good round number that will let them develop each character and but also give you a lot of choice.

Feargus was just saying in the comments:

So it's being considered, but it'll only happen if they can do it right.

Well, that sounds fair.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I disagree, BG2 had what, like 12 at least? For a full party of six, you'd wanna have at least some variety between playthroughs.

And most of those werent very intertesting or good (and BG1 had even more and they were even worse). I care less about choice in party than about the companions themselves.

Lancehead

Maybe they should also reduce the party size. If it's a matter of combat mechanics depth vs characters depth, I know I'd choose the latter.

dude

dude
And most of those werent very intertesting or good (and BG1 had even more and they were even worse). I care less about choice in party than about the companions themselves.

Huh? Name one companion in BG2 who wasn't very good or interesting. Even Cernd had cool quests and interactions! BG2's characters easily triumphs pretty much any other RPG, even the ones considered more boring.

BG1 did have boring character though.

Remember, Baldur's Gate companions weren't even close to someone like Dak'kon in depth.

Dak'kon couldn't hope to be as interesting as Anomen's quest and personal journey. Depth is a very loose term, what matters are the interactions and dialogues. BG2 wins over PS:T in that regard.

epmode

EDIT: scratch that, 14 companions, not even counting ToB. 8 is a tad low.

Remember, Baldur's Gate companions weren't even close to someone like Dak'kon in depth. If they're planning something like that, I can forgive them for keeping the number low.

And most of those 12 werent very intertesting or good. I care less about choice in party than about the companions themselves.

Well the problem is we're only allowed to customize the protagonist in this game, while every other possible character is fairly preset. I guess the adventurer's hall kinda mitigates this, but having a greater variety of companions in turn allows a greater variety of protagonists and thus group makeup and combat styles. They don't have to be all super in depth, and some can be more than others, but the flavor of having a tailor-made NPC versus a generic one that you'd likely get at the hall is so much better. But don't get me wrong, I'm not looking for a Chrono Cross scenario either.

nickcv

ok guys, help me out.

i already made a pretty good pledge for Gaf Inn, and while i know i will love this game and i will surely buy it i'm torn about making a pledge to the actual kickstarter as well...

the funny thing is that the only thing that is making me consider it is the t-shirt XD

what do you think i should do?

Dennis

Banned
Huh? Name one companion in BG2 who wasn't very good or interesting. Even Cernd had cool quests and interactions! BG2's characters easily triumphs pretty much any other RPG, even the ones considered more boring.

BG1 did have boring character though.

To keep HK-47 happy we should just have one companion. But make it a really interesting one. Choice is bad!

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Dak'kon couldn't hope to be as interesting as Anomen's quest and personal journey. Depth is a very loose term, what matters are the interactions and dialogues. BG2 wins over PS:T in that regard.

We are through the looking glass here. Dennis making his usual stupid strawmans only confirms it.

epmode

I guess we're just going to disagree on this one.

dude

dude
The only companions in BG2 that could be considered less interesting/fun are Mazzy, Cernd, Korgan (though he can get a pass in the fun department if it's up to me!) and maybe Valygar. The rest were mostly instant classic, with amazing banters and sometimes deep personal developments and such. No matter which composition I finished the game with, I felt like I traveled with full and complicated human beings.

Dak'kon was an interesting character, one of the better ones in PS:T, but what's matter is not how exotic or original the character is, but how well done his story is. Anomen, which I think is one of the best made companions in BG2, had a very interesting story to tell and he dealt with many very human emotions. At the end of the day, Anomen gave you a chance to see a character go through very tough personal developments and to give him a helping hand and somewhat define him as a character. Dak'kon didn't get me to these depths.

Violet_0

Banned
^ oh you, Mazzy and Korgan are the bee's knees

Prime example is NWN2 vs MotB. NWN2 had way more companions but none of them were a match of a single companion from MotB.

MotB had 3 awesome companions out of 5. A decent ratio, all things considered.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Let's just agree that Kaiden Alenko is the best companion ever (the second best is Grunt obviously) and happily watch together how Obsidian bath in our money.

Perkel

Banned
Please remember that those will be Obsidian created companions. So each of them will be miles better than any companion from BG2.

Also it doesn't mean that they won't do some filler companions like it was in Arcanum.

Also number of party members is not yet finalized. In my opinion it should be max 4 or 5. 6 tends to be to much spam click and less strategic.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
I thought the New Vegas companions were great. I have absolutely no doubt the PE companions will be just as good.

Jhriad

I wish I could get the Collectors Edition & Signed hard back Collectors Book for less than $500. Don't really care too much about any of the other physical bits but those two are sexy.

dude

dude
Just so we do not go down that road again, I will clarify - I think both BG2's and PS:T's companions are great. But I think BG2 managed to give their character that extra bit of humanity to make me care for them. They had interesting personal conflicts and problems that many time you could influence and direct, they bantered with each other in a completely believable way and so much more.

Violet_0

Banned
Dak'kon isn't even the best githzerai companion!

zhjaeve.jpg

oh god, Zhjaeve was the worst. the worst.

Mupod

The only companions in BG2 that could be considered less interesting/fun are Mazzy, Cernd, Korgan (though he can get a pass in the fun department if it's up to me!) and maybe Valygar.

Cernd is interesting as a case study in how you can somehow make a FUCKING WEREWOLF into the lamest character imaginable.

And Korgan is awesome.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
The only companions in BG2 that could be considered less interesting/fun are Mazzy, Cernd, Korgan (though he can get a pass in the fun department if it's up to me!) and maybe Valygar. The rest were mostly instant classic, with amazing banters and sometimes deep personal developments and such. No matter which composition I finished the game with, I felt like I traveled with full and complicated human beings.

Dak'kon was an interesting character, one of the better ones in PS:T, but what's matter is not how exotic or original the character is, but how well done his story is. Anomen, which I think is one of the best made companions in BG2, had a very interesting story to tell and he dealt with many very human emotions. At the end of the day, Anomen gave you a chance to see a character go through very tough personal developments and to give him a helping hand and somewhat define him as a character. Dak'kon didn't get me to these depths.

Being exotic didnt make Dak'kon better. Being better written made him better. I also fail to how any companion outside of maybe Vhailor werent full of more pathos and depth than anyone in BG2. They also tied the main character in a way that BG's companions never could.

Top Bottom