• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity by Obsidian Entertainment (Kickstarter) [Up: Teaser]

PaulLFC

Have any UK Gaffers pledged for physical tiers in past Kickstarters? Do we know how customs are handled? If I upgraded my pledge to a physical tier would I just get a letter through the post when the game is eventually delivered telling me what extra charges I owe?

Man, I am in right now for $45.......base game (digital) + expansion................

I am SO tempted to up my pledge to $280 to get the Collector's Box edition, signed, plus the beta, plus the Collector's hardcover book, plus Wasteland 2

So, so tempted...............please convince me not to....................or convince me to...........I don't know..................make this Kickstarter end!!!!

Do it! Once in a lifetime opportunity! Help Obsidian make the best RPG possible!

hswbaz

Neo Member
I think this is the first time in my life I'm embarrassed for spending so much on a video game. Worth it though...just don't tell my SO...

Dennis

Banned
This will reach 4 million. No excuse not to go Baldur's Gate II big.

And yes, part of the charm of BGII was how HUGE the world was.

Forget in-game commentary, fucking live orchestration. I was hoping this was already in, but if it delivers a full orchestral soundtrack then hell yes. Now I just need to decide I far I up my pledge, currently at $35 tier + $20 for the exp...

Ithil

No idea how the likes of Avellone finds the time to play all these games, he seems to have played most games that come out, yet is working nonstop on several games.

FACE

Banned
Man, I am in right now for $45.......base game (digital) + expansion................

I am SO tempted to up my pledge to $280 to get the Collector's Box edition, signed, plus the beta, plus the Collector's hardcover book, plus Wasteland 2

So, so tempted...............please convince me not to....................or convince me to...........I don't know..................make this Kickstarter end!!!!

Do it!

yepyepyep

I'm pretty much completely inexperienced with these CRPG's, but I just decided to make a $25 pledge because I like idea of reviving old school game design but with modern technology. I should probably continue on with Planescape; which was I enjoying greatly, but kept on freezing and made me frustrated having to redo sections.

szaromir

Banned
This will reach 4 million. No excuse not to go Baldur's Gate II big.

And yes, part of the charm of BGII was how HUGE the world was.

I always regretted they cut out exploring the realm though. Probably got bored of drawing fields, forests, meadows, rivers after BG1 and only wanted to do almost less mundane locations.
But my understanding is PE is more open world than that?

hswbaz

Neo Member
No idea how the likes of Avellone finds the time to play all these games, he seems to have played most games that come out, yet is working nonstop on several games.

If I remember in the AMA the other day he did mention he was single. That's a huge chunk of free time right there.

Kickstarter:

Paypal:
$106,024 (11 hours ago)

Current total:
$3,792,459

Left to go:
$207,541, or $51,885.25/h

Upped from $35 to $65 to the physical tier (will fit nicely next to my Wasteland 2 box) + $20 for the exp for an $85 pledge. Alright, no new games for me for a while, gotta get through my backlog, especially finish up my damn BG2 playthrough.

They didn't say they'd go "full" orchestration, only that they'll use it.

Would love it if they'd do it fully, but only so long as it doesn't cut into funding the rest of the game. At the very least, put the money into getting some nice instrument samples. Man some mixer samples in games can be absolutely atrocious.

Famassu

Kickstarter:

Paypal:
$106,024 (11 hours ago)

Current total:
$3,792,459

Left to go:
$207,541, or $51,885.25/h

Hmm... what happened? The number of pledgers dropped from over 70,000 to 69,800.

And now it's back....

FStop7

Banned
I am possibly more hyped for this game than I was for Skyrim. Speaking of which, I was flipping through my Skyrim art book today - if Obsidian can bring that level of cohesive atmosphere and mood to this game then... damn.

I worry that full orchestration could be expensive.

They probably won't use it everywhere. And for the party where they don't the stuff you can do with modern VST plug ins like Hollywood Strings is pretty incredible.

Taruranto

The only companions in BG2 that could be considered less interesting/fun are Mazzy, Cernd, Korgan (though he can get a pass in the fun department if it's up to me!) and maybe Valygar. The rest were mostly instant classic, with amazing banters and sometimes deep personal developments and such. No matter which composition I finished the game with, I felt like I traveled with full and complicated human beings.

Dak'kon was an interesting character, one of the better ones in PS:T, but what's matter is not how exotic or original the character is, but how well done his story is. Anomen, which I think is one of the best made companions in BG2, had a very interesting story to tell and he dealt with many very human emotions. At the end of the day, Anomen gave you a chance to see a character go through very tough personal developments and to give him a helping hand and somewhat define him as a character. Dak'kon didn't get me to these depths.

I could never take Anoman seriously because his name sounds like "Anus Man" in my language.

Let's just agree that Kaiden Alenko is the best companion ever (the second best is Grunt obviously) and happily watch together how Obsidian bath in our money.

Sarcasm?

StuBurns

Banned
Even as someone with no vested interested in this genre, I think it's really beautiful people have come through to such an amazing degree. It seems like this last stretch goal is an indication that they really have been able to fulfill everything they want for the project, and that's really wonderful to see.

Corto

I worry that full orchestration could be expensive.

There are some cheaper solutions from lesser known eastern europe orchestras. I've posted before about these:

Just to expand a bit on the Orchestra stuff.

Journey the game for the PS3 has a beautiful OST from Austin Wintery and was recorded by the Macedonia Radio Symphonic Orchestra.

They offer remote recording sessions at a fraction of other well known orchestra budget.

http://www.filmmusicmag.com/?p=2654

If you read the comments on that article all complain of that aggressive competition in pricing.

Who knows? Maybe Obsidian can indeed make a great deal with one of these orchestras.

Kickstarter:
$3,698,300

Paypal:
$128,643.90 (5 minutes ago)

Current total:
$3,826,943.9

Left to go:
$173,056.1, or $43,264.025/h (it's really 4h45m left, so we're slightly ahead of my estimations :p)

Lothars

4 million still seems like a miniscule amount to make a big ass videogame with.
Yup I agree and I do hope it makes the last stretch goal and the game is good but I am still incredibly unsure of the game and will be till after it's released, I just don't have much faith in Obsidian as a developer.

nubbe

Games would be cheaper if you had small teams that do fun nerdy shit, instead of endless design and marketing meetings about red shoos.

Durante

Wow, I'm happy I missed the part of the thread where BG2's characters were more interesting than PST's and NWN1 was a good game.

Now that we're back in reality, things are still a bit strange, what with the kickstarter looking to reach 4 million and all.

FACE

Banned
Yup I agree and I do hope it makes the last stretch goal and the game is good but I am still incredibly unsure of the game and will be till after it's released, I just don't have much faith in Obsidian as a developer.

ilY1Z6ShDbun9.gif

Did anyone honestly expect 4 million?

Nope. 3.5 million perhaps, but not 4 million.

Tempted to make a last minute upgrade, either to grab the expansion pack or to upgrade my pledge from the $20 early birds to the $35 level.

[Edit] Fuck it, upped pledge to $40 for the expansion pack.

Top Bottom