• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity by Obsidian Entertainment (Kickstarter) [Up: Teaser]

Is anyone else concerned with how much extra content they are promising now that they might be over reaching? I don't want this to be a buggy mess.

They're working with a common and easy to develop for engine, environments will be almost entirely 2D, there are very little time consuming extras like voice-acting and cg cutscenes, and this is a team with an extensive history of what makes this genre work at a very basic level. Basically they've removed or mitigated just about all possible concerns that go before or hinder content creation in videogames. They will have plenty of time to dedicate to implementing and cleaning up content for this project. Granted it's still possible they won't the April 2014 target date, but I highly doubt that it will be because the game is not content-complete by that point.

This is so tantalizing, why update the map if they don't throw out one more strech goal!!

Perhaps they meant to but forgot to send out the update after uploading the new map, so they've been lounging around all morning thinking 'Man, I bet the fans are excited as hell to reach that amazing final stretch goal!'

Edit: I do sympathise with them; they are pretty clearly out of ideas for a final goal, and who can blame them? Finishing on a goal of 'An extra class and party member' would be terrible at this stage, but what else can they do without setting something completely unreachable?

Clott

Perhaps they meant to but forgot to send out the update after uploading the new map, so they've been lounging around all morning thinking 'Man, I bet the fans are excited as hell to reach that amazing final stretch goal!'

Well I hope it's not for nothing, I am ready to bump my pledge one final time if they just give us something cool.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I apologize if this has been posted already:

Polygon said:

This morning the team is discussing what to do with those remaining eight hours or so. They don't really want to add more to the already enormous game, so Urquhart says he thinks they'll instead invest any more money donated into polish.

"That was the last stretch goal," he said. "It's almost that the game has gotten to be the size it needs to be. Now we just need to fill it out even more."

Once the Kickstarter closes tonight, Urquhart says it will take about two weeks for the developer to receive the funding.

The team had already started work on the game before they launched their Kickstarter, now the team of 15 are working on the background of the game and game systems. That works continues unabated while the team discusses their next steps.

Those steps won't include a big rush to hiring, Urquhart said.

"Thinking about having a team of 15 before, maybe we will take that to a set number like 20 or 22," he said. "I don't think we're going to push it to huge number, so it may make the game come out later.

"We're not saying we're slipping," he added. "We just want to be smart in how we do it and make an awesome game."
Source: http://www.theverge.com/gaming/2012...ir-record-breaking-kickstarter-and-whats-next

Durante

Edit: I do sympathise with them; they are pretty clearly out of ideas for a final goal, and who can blame them? Finishing on a goal of 'An extra class and party member' would be terrible at this stage, but what else can they do without setting something completely unreachable?
Maybe at this point it would be best to just go with something light-hearted.

Like "at 4 Million, Tim Cain will shave his beard and Josh Sawyer will grow one. Documentary for all backers."

Durante much loved NWN2 UI is bugless and works but it is clunky and not very polished.
It may be "clunky" to some, I prefer to call it wonderfully feature-rich :p

Clott

Well that's good enough of a stretch goal, make it the "super polish" tear.

People just need something solid written down.

mrpeabody

Is he saying that their little Kickstarter experiment is going to have a larger team than their big-name franchise publisher-funded efforts? That just blows my mind.

It feels strange to say it, but at this point I think they have enough content. I just want them to get started on the game.

I'm with you. It's amazing how much we're getting. I like the idea of using any remaining money on polish. No need to scramble these last few hours for another stretch goal.

Is he saying that their little Kickstarter experiment is going to have a larger team than their big-name franchise publisher-funded efforts? That just blows my mind.

"That's what they used to call me. 'Black Isle'. That was my name. I am Obsidian. And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide."

saxman717

Banned
Overslept, I wake up, holy shit $3,590,013.

Now where's that real life fast forward button?

Sid Meier's Civilization (IV and V) seems to be my real-life fast forward button............paired w/ vokda (or scotch or gin, in my case), that should do the trick...........

PaulLFC

That loot tier looks awesome, even if I could have pledged for it though I couldn't get it delivered to the UK :(

Still no stretch goal yet, I wonder if there'll be time to fund it once it's announced.

sankao

Really happy that they are going for polish over bloat. This is their game, their rules. They get to show that they can make a flawless product, given the opportunity.

• 11 classes
  • 6 races
  • 8 companions
  • A huge mega dungeon of at least 10 levels (and possibly 11 or 12 by the time this is done!)
  • Player house
  • A stronghold
  • Two big cities
  • And much more.
(Much more being GAF Inn and dozens of NPCs and Weapons created by gaffers).

HNNNGGGGGG!

Dayum, loot bag tier's sold out already o_O

Edit:

Feargus on the lack of a further content stretch goal:

Obsidian Entertainment said:
@Dablue It is not for Quality Control, it is for making the whole game better. We were worried that just adding stuff at this point would make the game feel like it was getting out of control. -Feargus

Good stuff.

Trigger

• 11 classes
  • 6 races
  • 8 companions
  • A huge mega dungeon of at least 10 levels (and possibly 11 or 12 by the time this is done!)
  • Player house
  • A stronghold
  • Two big cities
  • And much more.
(Much more being GAF Inn and dozens of NPCs and Weapons created by gaffers).

HNNNGGGGGG!

So much there to love. GOTY of 2014.

Top Bottom