• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity by Obsidian Entertainment (Kickstarter) [Up: Teaser]

Acosta

I do worry about how well they can implement all of the stuff that's been added in this Kickstarter campaign in only 18 months or so

There is no way it will be 18 months and I'm ok with it. 22-24 months will be great, but I don't really care as much as they deliver the best game they can.

celebi23

Aww, fuck it. I'm at the $140 level and I'm adding the expansion pack, audio book novella and the CD soundtrack.
UwUww.png

I wish I could just go for the $250 level but, this is the absolute most I can spend on this.

LProtag

Is there any way I can find out the classes and races they're planning on including? Are these spread out among the updates, or not actually listed anywhere?

$8m scretch goal: PIZZA PARTY!!!

edit: If they don't reach 4m, but fell short by like 20k, will they go all "I guess we won't enchance our game... sigh"?

Blizzard

Banned
Nope. Unity.
Has Unity been used for such a huge project with the multiple levels etc. before? I feel like I have read developer comments that one of Unity's downsides is the difficulty with managing everything and/or doing things once games get huge.

PaulLFC

They're less than 100k away when you factor in Paypal with a bit over 3 hours left. It's very possible. In fact I would say it's likely.
They'll make it if this pace keeps up. My last two calculations:

10:28 PM (GMT): $3,892,436
10:42 PM (GMT): $3,905,215

If that pace carries on, they'll hit $4 million easily.

Eusis

Does anyone know what happens with these surveys if you need to move before the physical Kickstarter rewards come by the way? Never know what can happen in two years.

ekim

Has Unity been used for such a huge project with the multiple levels etc. before? I feel like I have read developer comments that one of Unity's downsides is the difficulty with managing everything and/or doing things once games get huge.

I heard 2D iso stuff is difficult to pull in unity. But I guess they'll be able to do that.

AB12

$8m scretch goal: PIZZA PARTY!!!

edit: If they don't reach 4m, but fell short by like 20k, will they go all "I guess we won't enchance our game... sigh"?

From Kickstarter

Use every dollar between $3.5m and $4m to enhance the game.

I guess it doesn't have to reach 4million exactly, but don't worry it will probably be done.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

Unity is more so lacking in that department relative to other modern engines.

I feel pretty confident that the Infinity Engine didn't have a content management system that outclasses any content management system for a 2012 engine.

I could be wrong, though that would be a rather impressive feat (demerit?) for Unity.

I heard 2D iso stuff is difficult to pull in unity. But I guess they'll be able to do that.

Is it 2D iso though?
By the looks of the screens they posted yesterday, the game is still in 3D - only the camera is at an isometric angle (that may or may not be adjustable).

embalm

No way, 2D iso stuff is cake in Unity. My game is 2D isometric and everything has been really easy to work with so far. Since they are working with 2D backgrounds & 3D characters they actually make it very easy on themselves. It's very easy to blend assets in that way.

We use 2D background tiles, 3D buildings & terrain, & 2D characters; and it works pretty seamlessly.

ekim

No way, 2D iso stuff is cake in Unity. My game is 2D isometric and everything has been really easy to work with so far. Since they are working with 2D backgrounds & 3D characters they actually make it very easy on themselves. It's very easy to blend assets in that way.

We use 2D background tiles, 3D buildings & terrain, & 2D characters; and it works pretty seamlessly.

Ok. Thanks for clarification. :) I just tried once to use 2D tiles and the handling for that was very counter-intuitive. There were some pricy addons though that claimed to handle that better. But I didn't want to pay for that :p

Lusankya

Nice, we easily get 14 dungeon levels. :)

I never had any doubt they would reach the $3.5 million, but couldn't imagine that now even 4.0 million is very realistic.

Debating the physical CD. I love physical, but CDs are unequivocally where I don't miss physical at all. However, my collectors box set feels incomplete without it. I understand why, but I liked it better when the new stuff kept getting added to my tier for free.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Holy fuck on a stick i come home from work and see this glorious shit. Good god man. And even more lulz at the debates tonight. Hold on ima get popcorn

Top Bottom