• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity by Obsidian Entertainment (Kickstarter) [Up: Teaser]

Miletius

SoZ was awesome, dunno what some of you are smoking in here. It doesn't get any more old school than SoZ. It's like playing IWD except with 3.5 rules and a realtime map.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
i have a lot of fun with early level AD&D. Once the party hits 10-12 its pretty much cakewalk all the time. i find it intense when everything you come across can stomp you if you arent careful.

PaulLFC

When I started BGII, I could choose between the original and the expansion. The text made it seem as if they're essentially separate games, and that the expansion picks up from where the original game left off. Is that right, so I should play the original first, then the expansion?

dude

dude
My point is that it's best to start with it, because after playing it you'll appreciate the stuff in BG2 all the more, and you'll get the slow ramp of learning your character instead of being thrown into a situation where you have a ton of skills you don't know how to use.

I also appreciate the fact that mages are glass cannons, because it makes things much more strategic. Mages tend to be way overpowered in most games (including late-game BG2), so it's nice to see the opposite being true.

They're not glass cannons, though. They're more like glass daggers. For like, half the game, the mage is completely useless. This doesn't make the game more strategic, it makes it less so. And actually, BG1 has some very boring encounters compared to the second.

When someone who doesn't even know if he'll like that sort of gameplay asks me to recommend him a game to showcase it - I choose the best one or the one it's most likely he could enjoy as to now waste his time. If he likes it, he can now know that he'll not be wasting his time by playing the rest of the games.

When I started BGII, I could choose between the original and the expansion. The text made it seem as if they're essentially separate games, and that the expansion picks up from where the original game left off. Is that right, so I should play the original first, then the expansion?

The expansion comes after the main game. Yeah, you should play the main game first.

Miletius

i have a lot of fun with early level AD&D. Once the party hits 10-12 its pretty much cakewalk all the time. i find it intense when everything you come across can stomp you if you arent careful.

Agreed. It gets really insane around level 18 IMO when if you've played the "right class" you just pretty much steamroll everything on your own.

It's like starting ToB as a pureclass Monk, you can pretty much autoattack your way through the entire expansion pack.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member

I've only started BG2 myself, but I believe you finish the original, than import your save into the expansion, yes.

Maybe they could do what double fine did? like 4 smaller teams working on lower budget games, stuff like PE or something smaller scale.

But then they would still need to find a way to raise the money to fund those projects. I don't see them do 3 more Kickstarters at the same time to get those smaller teams on the way.

dude

dude
Agreed. It gets really insane around level 18 IMO when if you've played the "right class" you just pretty much steamroll everything on your own.

It's like starting ToB as a pureclass Monk, you can pretty much autoattack your way through the entire expansion pack.

You've had bad DMs then. There are plenty of appropriate challenges of these sort of characters! And with some creativity, you could easily balance out the overpowered mages. It's harder to do in video games, which is why they tend to get broken at epic levels.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
You've had bad DMs then. There are plenty of appropriate challenges of these sort of characters! And with some creativity, you could easily balance out the overpowered mages. It's harder to do in video games, which is why they tend to get broken at epic levels.
im talking IE games.

Minsc

Gold Member
They're not glass cannons, though. They're more like glass daggers. For like, half the game, the mage is completely useless. This doesn't make the game more strategic, it makes it less so. And actually, BG1 has some very boring encounters compared to the second.

When someone who doesn't even know if he'll like that sort of gameplay asks me to recommend him a game to showcase it - I choose the best one or the one it's most likely he could enjoy as to now waste his time. If he likes it, he can now know that he'll not be wasting his time by playing the rest of the games.

The expansion comes after the main game. Yeah, you should play the main game first.

Charm Person and Sleep are very powerful spells in BG1. So is magic missile (guaranteed to hit), useful for taking down an enemy without much health that you need killed asap, and identify is also very useful since it saves you money. Color Spray can be fun, Grease can be very useful strategically, and Shield can help at times as well. Those are just level 1 spells. Level 2 gets you Mirror Image, which should keep you from being hit much, and level 3 gets you the real fun spells, Haste and Fireball and begins the Monster Summoning spells which are always useful in diverting attention away.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Charm Person and Sleep are very powerful spells in BG1. So is magic missile (guaranteed to hit), useful for taking down an enemy without much health that you need killed asap, and identify is also very useful since it saves you money. Color Spray can be fun, Grease can be very useful strategically, and Shield can help at times as well. Those are just level 1 spells. Level 2 gets you Mirror Image, which should keep you from being hit much, and level 3 gets you the real fun spells, Haste and Fireball and begins the Monster Summoning spells which are always useful in diverting attention away.
Yeah this. Magic Missile is not the spell to take at level 1. SLEEEEEP is so powerful until you hit level 4 or so. Just put an entire group to sleep then you just kill them at your leisure. How cold is that? lol

dude

dude

None of them are more useful than a small group of melees, a ranged-type and a priest. And considering you can choose, from these, usually like one or two spells until you rest... Even with rest-spamming they're not that useful.
Sleep is the real kicker, but usually my mage just sits around and watches everyone else having fun until the middle of the game.

mclem

I could never quite figure out if playing a mage was *meant* to be balanced around you resting after every single non-trivial fight to replenish your resources, at least at first.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
You've had bad DMs then. There are plenty of appropriate challenges of these sort of characters! And with some creativity, you could easily balance out the overpowered mages.

I'm not sure 'easily' is the word I'd use for planning for a 3.5 batman Wizard, especially trying to threaten him while not instantly pasting the poor Fighter or, god forbid, Monk. It was probably easier in 2e, I'll grant ya!

But you won't get much of the party based gameplay, that is at the core of all the other games, out of NWN1 .

NWN1 has to be played with other players in my opinion.
Otherwise, sure, you might as well skip it (even though I'm a fan of the story).

What's your problem with Storm of Zehir? It does some interesting things blending some JRPG mechanics with a WRPG.
Storm of Zehir is not a bad game, although it does feel very low-budget. It's certainly more enjoyable than NWN1, Shadow of Undrentide and arguably Hordes of Underdark (which I don't like, controversial opinion) and at least on par with (I'd say better than) the NWN2 base game.

SoZ starts out decently, but the constant switches (loading screens) from the overmap to battles to outposts/inns with the reiterated design and content and lack of a strong story as well as a ton of bugs makes it the worst Neverwinter game imho.

I have to ask, were you very young and very impressionable when you first played NWN? I'm not trying to be condescending here, I really just cannot understand how someone can love this game. The only explanation I can come up with is that you have some sort of youthful nostalgia coloring your opinion of the game.

Oh and FWIW, the only thing the BG games and NWN1 have in common are the developer and the intellectual property. There's really no tactical combat options in NWN, you don't have a party to control--just a henchman with a terrible ai routine that you end up battling as well.

If someone was looking for a very lite Baldur's Gate type of experience, I'd recommend KotOR before NWN. In spite of the differences in ruleset, franchise setting and difficulty, KotOR at least isn't a complete pile of shit that will drive people away from these types of games.
Probably started playing it when I was 18-19, so there's most likely not youthful nostalgia at play on my part.

I really have no idea why there' such a massive opinion difference when it comes to NWN.
I can understand people preferring the BG games to NWN, but not people preferring NWN2 to the first one - I really just don't get it.

I'm personally wondering if people who have played NWN has done so after they've played BG1/2/etc (at a younger age).

Miletius

Any idea when they'll send that mail?

No clue specifically for PE, but Wasteland 2, for example, sent those kind of emails out about a month or two after the project ended. Just got an email saying "Hey, what's your mailing address, and if you ever need to change it here's a link."

Same for Shadowrun Returns. So, I'd expect a month or two down the line. Just keep an eye on your inbox.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
I'm personally wondering if people who have played NWN has done so after they've played BG1/2/etc (at a younger age).

I played NWN1 and 2 one after the other a year or so ago- I didn't think much of pre-MOTB NWN2, but I'm firmly in the camp wondering if you played a completely different NWN1. One without a nonsensical training academy, for starters!

dude

dude

I did. NWN was the first game I bought day 1, I was like 13 or 14 I think. It was just a year or two after I played BG2.
NWN was such a big disappointment for me... But I ended up burning quite a bit of time over its multiplayer.

Minsc

Gold Member
I could never quite figure out if playing a mage was *meant* to be balanced around you resting after every single non-trivial fight to replenish your resources, at least at first.

It's not so bad if you just reserve their spells for only when necessary and keep them equiped with a sling for the trivial fights. You don't really need to rest that often in BG1 if you play carefully, even if you have only 3 fighters to block off anyone rushing at your ranged units.

I always feel it's useful to have 1 mage around as Haste is the single most powerful spell in the first game imo, it can completely turn around any battle. I guess you can use potions for it too, but the spell is nicer and it automatically effects the whole party at once.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
I thought the training academy was a good introduction to the game.
im gonna have to disagree with this. The Training Academy should have been the first clue for me to bail out. Training Academy makes BG2 starter dungeon look like a masterpiece of design and presentation.

Achee-achoo-achaa!

It was really short, introduced you to all of the mechanics of importance, and had some crazy hijinks happening from the get-go to plunge you into the story.

Violet_0

Banned
I thought the training academy was a good introduction to the game.

you are a monster

I tried to play the NWN campaign in mutilplayer with my brother (we stopped after act 3), never got further than act 2 when playing solo (and I tried, multiple times). Same with BG1 - we just got bored with it after some time (that was long after I had finished BG2). So if someone has never played the IE games, I also suggest to start with BG2.

I think I might have to replay all the games we're discussing, in order of release, to make sure that my memory is reliable :p

Anyone interested in joining me for a nostalgia trip?

kami_sama

Anyone knows how to start a BG1 playtrough with the Trilogy? The mod has been already installed, but the game still is the second one.

I think I might have to replay all the games we're discussing, in order of release, to make sure that my memory is reliable :p

Anyone interested in joining me for a nostalgia trip?
I'm starting right now, so this is perfect.

Durante

Hi. I'm here to tell you otherwise: BG1 is definitely worth playing through. BG1 has a much greater feeling of exploration, and early-level D&D can be wonderfully stressful as battles can swing much quicker.

It also can't be forgotten that the entire BG series is telling one long story with the same characters. After all, you can import your BG1 character into BG2 and they'll keep all their levels and skills they had.
I'm here to tell you that what Patryn (Death Gate Cycle?) is telling you is entirely correct.

However, if you do decide to play BG1 first -- as you should -- be sure to play it using TuTu or BGT, so that you can use the greatly improved interface/ruleset from BG2.

I played it when it was released, just like the BGs. It was the biggest gaming disappointment of my life. Well, together with Deus Ex 2.

Seriously, it's just so bad. I honestly don't understand how you can even remotely consider it better than NWN2. The latter's original campaign may be a bit uninspired at times, and it starts out slow, but at least it has many of the qualities that made the IE games such classics.

NWN 1 has none of them. No party-based, tactical battles. No meaningful character interaction in any way, shape or form. A "story" that is more like a series of fetch quests in a third-rate MMO. World and dungeon design that feels entirely, well, designed, with not even a hint of originality or believability.

Lets Play IE General? I sure am. I just started an IWD2 game, myself.
I'm in for either of the IWDs.
I never really played them

dude

dude
I could start working on an organized thread with link to the mods, where to buy and stuff if no one else wants to.

Just finished BG2: TOB earlier in the week actually. Insane how those games still hold up a decade later. I really hope Eternity can live up to the classics of the genre.

I could start working on a thread with mods, where to buy and stuff if no one else wants to.

I'm working on a thread right now.

But I will add NWN1 and NWN2 to the mix, because Obsidian did have a hand in the latter to a degree, and because it was a sequel to NWN1 :p
(also, I'm sure that some of the people who worked on NWN1/expansions are going to work on Project Eternity - gotta fact-check that though).

dude

dude

But I will add NWN1 and NWN2 to the mix, because Obsidian did have a hand in the latter to a degree, and because it was a sequel to NWN1 :p

Alright. I can help with information/photoshopping if that's needed. You should also consider adding Fallout 2 and Arcanum.

I already have some written, so PM me if you want me to send it to you.

PaulLFC

I could start working on an organized thread with link to the mods, where to buy and stuff if no one else wants to.

(also, I'm sure that some of the people who worked on NWN1/expansions are going to work on Project Eternity - gotta fact-check that though).
That would be great. A thread for people to discuss the Infinity engine games, get help with mods etc would be fantastic considering there's probably a lot of people who want to replay them or play them for the first time after this Kickstarter.

Durante

But then will your OP reflect the twisted state of mind that considers NWN1's single-player worth playing or the reality most of us live in?

Also, I have some images to contribute that explain how to use NWN2's UI, and how great it is when used well.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
Alright. I can help with information/photoshopping if that's needed. You should also consider adding Fallout 2 and Arcanum.
This may get a bit bloated... maybe a Fallout/Troika LP somewhere down the line? We have two years!
But then will your OP reflect the twisted state of mind that considers NWN1's single-player worth playing or the reality most of us live in?
When completely new people he's hyped up enter NWN1 and go 'THIS IS AWFUL' he'll have to capitulate!

Minsc

Gold Member

You can find a large number of mods and resources linked to here (hopefully most of those links still work, stuff doesn't change all that quick usually though) for the various games (PST, IWD, BG, Fallout, Arcanum etc), and definitely link to this useful guide for beginners for Baldur's Gate 1 & 2, which is currently not in the previous link.

Velinos

Sounds great. I really should go back and finish/replay those games. I tried going back to PS:T and I could not find a good configuration for the text mod that did not make my head hurt after a while. Hopefully the mods for BG2 and IWD are better.

Also, I have some images to contribute that explain how to use NWN2's UI, and how great it is when used well.

Don't worry, I'll make it very clear that I'm the sole person on NeoGAF who genuinly enjoyed NWN1 :p

Thanks, I could use any banners for the individual games or thread as a whole as my own photoshopping skills are sub-par.

I'll add in Fallout 2 and Arcanum as Project Eternity has people from both of those games.

Basic idea for the thread is a comprehensive list of games that the Project Eternity developers have had a hand in, that we then play through at a relatively moderate pace and give feedback on in the thread in preparation of the Project Eternity release.

We got the following to chew through:

Fallout 1, Fallout 2, Arcanum, Temple of Elemental Evil, Icewind Dale 1, Icewind Dale 2, Planescape Torment, Baldur's Gate 1 (+expansions), Baldur's Gate 2 (+expansions), Neverwinter Nights 1 (+expansions, optional), Neverwinter Nights 2 (+expansions)

Roughly 18 games and expansions to go through :p

If we pace ourselves, and play 1 game every 2-3 months, by the time we've completed our nostalgia trip, project eternity will have been released :D

Sounds good?
Narrow it down to just focus on IE games?

Patryn

Anyone knows how to start a BG1 playtrough with the Trilogy? The mod has been already installed, but the game still is the second one.

I'm starting right now, so this is perfect.

If you've installed trilogy, launch BG2. You'll have a choice of either BG1+BG2 or ToB. Just pick the left option, then pick start game. You should notice that there's a new option Start BG2 Game, if you've installed correctly.

Azih

Don't worry, I'll make it very clear that I'm the sole person on NeoGAF who genuinly enjoyed NWN1 :p

Thanks, I could use any banners for the individual games or thread as a whole as my own photoshopping skills are sub-par.

I'll add in Fallout 2 and Arcanum as Project Eternity has people from both of those games.

Basic idea for the thread is a comprehensive list of games that the Project Eternity developers have had a hand in, that we then play through at a relatively moderate pace and give feedback on in the thread in preparation of the Project Eternity release.

Fallout 1, Fallout 2, Arcanum, Temple of Elemental Evil, Icewind Dale 1, Icewind Dale 2, Planescape Torment, Baldur's Gate 1 (+expansions), Baldur's Gate 2 (+expansions), Neverwinter Nights 1 (+expansions, optional), Neverwinter Nights 2 (+expansions)

If we pace ourselves, and play 1 game every 2-3 months, by the time we've completed our nostalgia trip, project eternity will have been released :D

Sounds good?

No New Vegas and Alpha Protocol?

New Vegas, sure.
Alpha protocol?
Why not, it's quite different from the rest of the games on that list, and I'd have to add Kotor as well, but we have plenty of time for this nostalgia trip until Project Eternity is finally released.

Arcanum doesn't sound like the best starting point to kick this whole thing off.
If we're going somewhat "game chronologically", then I'd suggest starting off with BG1+2 (running in BGTutu or BGTrilogy so that BG1 becomes a lot more accessible to newcomers), but after that I have no idea what order it should go - we could always just see what people are interested in to do next.

PaulLFC

Sounds good?
Personally I like your idea better than narrowing it down (a comprehensive list of what the Project Eternity devs have worked on).

uncdeez

Probably started playing it when I was 18-19, so there's most likely not youthful nostalgia at play on my part.

I really have no idea why there' such a massive opinion difference when it comes to NWN.
I can understand people preferring the BG games to NWN, but not people preferring NWN2 to the first one - I really just don't get it.

I played BG 1 & 2 at 16-17 and I was 18 when I played NWN. I played IWD 1 & 2 (and Heart of Winter, if you want to talk about shitty expansions talk about Heart of Winter) not long after that and then I finally picked up a copy of PS:T when I was 20ish. I picked up a copy of NWN Platinum not long after that and played SoU and HotU. The only thing I remember about SoU was that even though it wasn't made by BioWare I still enjoyed it more than the the original campaign. HotU was much more enjoyable and in my opinion, is the only part of the NWN 1 that doesn't deserve to be shit upon.

NWN 2 took way too long to get going, but at least it got going. I can actually remember characters from that game and interesting things that happened in the campaign (like the trial and the stronghold). NWN 2 had its share of mediocre characters but they still managed to be more memorable than NWN 1's cast of lifeless henchmen and Bastila--err Aribeth. Oh and the Waterdhavian creatures, I remember them really well.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
New Vegas should be essential. Alpha Protocol and KotOR 2 i think should be included too. And if NWN 1 is added might as well add DS3 to the mix too. NWN 1 does have some good qualities in the user-created content. If we run out of things to play (lol) might be worth digging up the good user-created content for it.

Arcanum doesn't sound like the best starting point to kick this whole thing off.
If we're going somewhat "game chronologically", then I'd suggest starting off with BG1+2 (running in BGTutu or BGTrilogy so that BG1 becomes a lot more accessible to newcomers), but after that I have no idea what order it should go - we could always just see what people are interested in to do next.
Agreed. However, it might be fitting to kick things off with Arcanum since MCA will be playing Arcanum soon for the first time.

Top Bottom