• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity by Obsidian Entertainment (Kickstarter) [Up: Teaser]

volturnus

Banned
Speaking of NWN2, does anyone have a spare code or copy on Steam?
It seems the legal dispute over D&D rights made the game unavailable in every digital distribution store I could think of.

Zeliard

It will be difficult for MCA to stay fucking hammered when he encounters the buzzkill that is Arcanum's combat system.

Haha. It is pretty neat that he'll be doing a (presumably) blind let's play, though I imagine he'll get a few pointers from Cain and the others. It'll be interesting to hear his thoughts on an RPG he's never played as he's actively going through it.

Sykotik

I see Arcanum's combat system isn't very popular here. I didn't have a problem with it, though. Maybe because I played a wizard class. It just felt a bit like Fallout with magic.

Ithil

The funniest thing about that stream yesterday wasn't actually Avellone being hammered, it was Captain Bring-Down Urquhart showing up halfway through to tell everyone on the Stick of Truth team to get back to work.

Midou

I see Arcanum's combat system isn't very popular here. I didn't have a problem with it, though. Maybe because I played a wizard class. It just felt a bit like Fallout with magic.

I like it more than planescape's, I only recently went through planescape but there were just times where TNO would just get hit like 10 times in a row for tons of damage, then go 5 fights without ever getting hit. I like the ability to go between turn-based and sped-up combat in arcanum.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Is there a number of how many people pledged via Paypal?

Minsc

Gold Member
I assume this is the UK version of the game. Are there any differences between the UK and US versions?

I don't think so, but the UK version probably wouldn't use the ESRB "T" ratings on the packaging, and it's not a digital product either, by the looks of the lack of download size info on the page.

Games (in order of playthrough, with games in the same series and expansions listed as one entry:

Arcanum - October, 2012

The D&D isometric RPG bonanza
Baldur's Gate, Baldur's Gate: Tales of the Sword Coast, Baldur's Gate 2, Baldur's Gate 2: Throne of Bhaal (combined into a singular game through the help of BG Tutu/BG Trilogy) - November-January, 2012-2013
Icewind Dale, Icewind Dale: Heart of Winter, Icewind Dale 2 - February-March, 2013
Planescape: Torment - April, 2013
Temple of Elemental Evil - May, 2013

Fallout series
Fallout 1 - June, 2013
Fallout 2 - July, 2013
Fallout: New Vegas August, 2013

The second D&D bonanza

Neverwinter Nights, Neverwinter Nights: Shadows of Undrentide, Neverwinter Nights: Hordes of the Underdark - October-November, 2013
Neverwinter Nights 2, Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer, Neverwinter Nights 2: Storm of Zehir - November-December, 2013

The final stretch

Alpha Protocol - January, 2014
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic - February, 2014
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2 - March, 2014

EDIT: Just stuff I'm posting here so I won't lose it:

Where to purchase the games:

Arcanum - GOG ($5.99),
Baldur's Gate, Baldur's Gate: Tales of the Sword Coast - GOG ( $9.99)
Baldur's Gate 2, Baldur's Gate 2: Throne of Bhaal - GOG ($9.99)

Baldur's Gate Compilation -
Amazon [UK] (£11.79)

Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition also coming in November Might not be compatible with currently existing mods

Icewind Dale, Icewind Dale: Heart of Winter, Icewind Dale 2 - Amazon [UK] (£12.10)
Planescape: Torment - GOG ($9.99)
Temple of Elemental Evil - GOG ($5.99)

Dungeons & Dragons Anthology (All of the above D&D games) - Gamersgate (DRM?) [UK/US] (£14.99/$19.99), Gamespot (DRM free?) [US] ($19.99)

Fallout 1 - GOG ($5.99)
Fallout 2 - GOG ($5.99)
Fallout: New Vegas - fashionworld.co.uk [UK] (£22), ShopTo [UK] (£13.85), Steam [US] ($29.99), Amazon[US] ($29.99)

Neverwinter Nights, Neverwinter Nights: Shadows of Undrentide, Neverwinter Nights: Hordes of the Underdark - GOG ($9.99), Amazon [US] ($19.95) , Amazon [UK] (£23.02+£3.29)
Neverwinter Nights 2, Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer, Neverwinter Nights 2: Storm of Zehir - Amazon, excluding SoZ [US] ($29.95+$3.99)

Neverwinter Nights 1+2+expansions - Amazon [US] ($45.39+$3.99)

Alpha Protocol - Steam [US/UK] ($19.99/£14.99), Amazon [US/UK] ($6.48/£2.99+£2.03)
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic - Amazon [US/UK] ($9.45/£5.81)
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2 - Amazon [US/UK] ($13.16/£7.74)

Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic I and II PC Bundle Pack - Amazon [US/UK] ($19.99/£9.99)

saxman717

Banned
May be a dumb question, but is that environment screenshot posted on the kickstarter page a glimpse at the in-game level of graphics quality they will be achieving or is it just CG concept art?

May be a dumb question, but is that environment screenshot posted on the kickstarter page a glimpse at the in-game level of graphics quality they will be achieving or is it just CG concept art?

Its the real deal. Its like the Infinity Engine games so the backgrounds will be 2D like that.

What's happening? Is that a GAF Plays series?

A GAF plays in preparation of Project Eternity, yep.
Don't worry about that order though, we might not even have a order, and we might only keep the games that are relevant to Project Eternity (e.g, games the developers have had a hand in, classic isometric RPGs, and maybe some other RPGs related to these).

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
That order seems great SquiddyBiscuit.

Here you go.. from one of the updates..

IXVj4.jpg

mclem

It will be difficult for MCA to stay fucking hammered when he encounters the buzzkill that is Arcanum's combat system.

It will be necessary for MCA to stay fucking hammered when he encounters the buzzkill that is Arcanum's combat system.

Lancehead

I'd suggest mixing the order up a bit. People are bound to get get burnt out playing BG1, BG2 in a row. I wouldn't want to play IWD right after those games, for example.

Edit: Nevermind, you got that covered I see.

kami_sama

For all IE games, there's a pack with all 6 of them with the expansions on gamersgate for 20$. I think they are not DRM free, though.

Sothpaw

Im going to go ahead and guess that not a single person is going to play through all of those games from now until Project Eternity is released. Also what are the odds that one person would even enjoy all those games? For example I think the Baldur's Gate series is the best set of videogames ever made, but Arcanum bores me to tears.

Minsc

Gold Member
The D&D isometric RPG bonanza
Baldur's Gate, Baldur's Gate: Tales of the Sword Coast, Baldur's Gate 2, Baldur's Gate 2: Throne of Bhaal (combined into a singular game through the help of BG Tutu/BG Trilogy) - November-January, 2012-2013
Icewind Dale, Icewind Dale: Heart of Winter, Icewind Dale 2 - February-March, 2013
Planescape: Torment - April, 2014
Temple of Elemental Evil - May, 2014

Why the year gap between Icewind Dale and Torment? Without that, you'd probably not have to worry about "If the game hasn't released by now, we move onto the following games:", because you'll still be in 2013, before the initial 2014 release date.

Also, Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition comes out in a month (november), a lot of people may be better served playing that, if they don't want to mod the original up to BG2 levels and mess around with the widescreen mods etc. Plus it'll have some new content.

Im going to go ahead and guess that not a single person is going to play through all of those games from now until Project Eternity is released. Also what are the odds that one person would even enjoy all those games? For example I think the Baldur's Gate series is the best set of videogames ever made, but Arcanum bores me to tears.

Yeah, I doubt many would be able to go from game to game like that :p
But it's nice to know what games are worth playing if one wishes to get more familiar with the work of the Project Eternity developers and to get an idea of what PE might be like.

Why the year gap between Icewind Dale and Torment? Without that, you'd probably not have to worry about "If the game hasn't released by now, we move onto the following games:", because you'll still be in 2013, before the initial 2014 release date.

Also, Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition comes out in a month (november), a lot of people may be better served playing that, if they don't want to mod the original up to BG2 levels and mess around with the widescreen mods etc. Plus it'll have some new content.

Oh, I think I messed up the timeline :p

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
i wasnt going to bother with BG: EE but i might now because.. well, just cause lol Might be worthwhile to start BG in Nov to coincide with EE release.

edit:

Completely unrelated to Squiddys courageous endeavor but theres a question i have about PE that i havent seen answered. Any insight into what the boxed version will look like? i really like the book design of BG1/BG2/IWD1/IWD2. As much as i personally appreciate the cover of PS:T i wish that they went with the book design.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!

Sykotik

I believe I own everything there except the Storms of Zehir. I managed to grab a boxed copy of The Forgotten Realms Deluxe Edition way back when it was posted on this forum. It included NWN, both BGs, Both IDs with all expansions. Over the years I accumulated the rest from various sources such as gog.

I've only managed to complete Arcanum and Fallout 1/2. The real-time combat systems of the rest really turn me off, as I feel like I don't have control over anything.

After I typed this I realized how much money I spent on games I haven't completed and I'm embarrassed to think myself a gamer when I haven't completed such legendary games.

Minsc

Gold Member
Oh, I think I messed up the timeline :p

Also, fyi, GOG also has the NWN1 package for 1/2 the price as you have listed on Amazon. :)

I think the Collection is actually DRM-free. At least I can't remember that I had to type in some CD key or anything else and I can start and install the games without being logged in in any kind of service.

Only thing I'd be careful about, is I vaguely remember seeing some people post that collection isn't compatible with a few mods... not sure if the mods have been updated or not, but if that matters to you, the mods definitely have been updated to work with the GOG versions.

Miletius

i wasnt going to bother with BG: EE but i might now because.. well, just cause lol Might be worthwhile to start BG in Nov to coincide with EE release.

edit:

Completely unrelated to Squiddys courageous endeavor but theres a question i have about PE that i havent seen answered. Any insight into what the boxed version will look like? i really like the book design of BG1/BG2/IWD1/IWD2. As much as i personally appreciate the cover of PS:T i wish that they went with the book design.

Might be better served question elsewhere but will you be able to import your BG:EE char into BG2 normal version?

If so, then maybe I'll pick it up too. I realize I said a few unkind things about the EE when the price was announced but I'm warming up to it.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Might be better served question elsewhere but will you be able to import your BG:EE char into BG2 normal version?
Thats a big question. However since they are using the same engine even if EE doesnt support it im confident that the modding community will make something. Even if that never materializes there is always the option to just edit your starting BG2 character.

edit:
Anyone else find it weird that there are never any wrpg replay/challenge threads of this kind? There are tons of Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest ones but hardly ever something like Ultima or Wizardry or Might and Magic.

Also, fyi, GOG also has the NWN1 package for 1/2 the price as you have listed on Amazon. :)

Only thing I'd be careful about, is I vaguely remember seeing some people post that collection isn't compatible with a few mods... not sure if the mods have been updated or not, but if that matters to you, the mods definitely have been updated to work with the GOG versions.

Updated list with warnings.
Now I got a decent enough price guide for both yankees and brits (everyone else will just have to find their own prices).

If anyone is making graphics for the thread, post them either in here or PM them to me.

Miletius

Now I got a decent enough price guide for both yankees and brits (everyone else will just have to find their own prices).

If anyone is making graphics for the thread, post them either in here or PM them to me.

You can also get NvN2 + MoTB cheaper by buying each one individually. No shipping either and 2 day shipping if you are a Prime member.

Storm of Zehir is stupid expensive everywhere I look though.

Minsc

Gold Member

The Baldur's Gate 4-in-1 retail box / compilation you have linked first definitely works with the mods, it's just the Gamersgate version specifically I remember reading warnings about when it last went on sale.

The BG:Enhanced Edition actually comes already modded in some sense, it's updated to be using the latest BG2:ToB engine (like TuTu does), and already optimized even better for widescreen gameplay (like the widescreen mod, but better), as well as other minor graphic rendering enhancements which should eliminate the directdraw slowdown / shadowing trouble. So while the warning is somewhat true there, I don't think BG:EE is really meant to run with mods in the same way you'd want the original release to use them.

Midou

Ditto. Both will make for an awesome behind-the-scenes look into their thought process during development.

Their dev videos have been kind of boring, I am really interested to see what they do, but they don't exactly seem like energetic presenters. I only watched the first couple doublefine ones since I am waiting for the blu-ray with the final version, but it's hard to match someone like Tim Schafer for entertainment.

epmode

Anyone else find it weird that there are never any wrpg replay/challenge threads of this kind? There are tons of Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest ones but hardly ever something like Ultima or Wizardry or Might and Magic.

GAF has a long history of ignoring older PC exclusives. I've seen lots and lots of Let's Play threads die a quick death. Things may be different now that GAF is more PC friendly but that may only apply to newer games.

Minsc

Gold Member
Their dev videos have been kind of boring, I am really interested to see what they do, but they don't exactly seem like energetic presenters. I only watched the first couple doublefine ones since I am waiting for the blu-ray with the final version, but it's hard to match someone like Tim Schafer for entertainment.

You should really watch the latest one from last month if you want a little stress, it won't have the same effect if you see it after the game is out. :)

Zeliard

Tim Schafer is one-of-a-kind, but the Obsidian guys are a cool group of folks and I'm more interested in the nitty-gritty than a charismatic presentation for this sort of thing, anyway. I'm sure they'll make it lively enough.

kami_sama

I have the anthology and modded both BG1/2 and PS:T and had no problem running the games.

FStop7

Banned
Next up, a video of 4 Ferrari Enzos being delivered to the Obsidian offices.

I hope they open a backer store because I'd like to increase my contribution from $165 to $250 for the physical goods.

Top Bottom