• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity by Obsidian Entertainment (Kickstarter) [Up: Teaser]

Patryn

The Baldur's Gate 4-in-1 retail box / compilation you have linked first definitely works with the mods, it's just the Gamersgate version specifically I remember reading warnings about when it last went on sale.

The BG:Enhanced Edition actually comes already modded in some sense, it's updated to be using the latest BG2:ToB engine (like TuTu does), and already optimized even better for widescreen gameplay (like the widescreen mod, but better), as well as other minor graphic rendering enhancements which should eliminate the directdraw slowdown / shadowing trouble. So while the warning is somewhat true there, I don't think BG:EE is really meant to run with mods in the same way you'd want the original release to use them.

The extra content exclusive to BG:EE will probably make it incompatible with Baldur's Gate Trilogy, if you prefer rolling that way (as I do). This is just a guess, though.

Minsc

Gold Member
I have the anthology and modded both BG1/2 and PS:T and had no problem running the games.

That's good to know then... i never really got wind of the specifics, but I guess we can clear all the warnings away except for BG:EE, which doesn't really need the mods as much anyway.

The extra content exclusive to BG:EE will probably make it incompatible with Baldur's Gate Trilogy, if you prefer rolling that way (as I do). This is just a guess, though.

It's possible though we might see a new BGT after BG2:EE is released, but I agree, very unlikely it would work right at first.

Alright, time to check out Minsc's links and find the best mods for the IE games.
Then I'll throw up the thread whenever I've organized everything better.

wrowa

Games (in order of playthrough, with games in the same series and expansions listed as one entry:

Arcanum - October, 2012

The D&D isometric RPG bonanza
Baldur's Gate, Baldur's Gate: Tales of the Sword Coast, Baldur's Gate 2, Baldur's Gate 2: Throne of Bhaal (combined into a singular game through the help of BG Tutu/BG Trilogy) - November-January, 2012-2013
Icewind Dale, Icewind Dale: Heart of Winter, Icewind Dale 2 - February-March, 2013
Planescape: Torment - April, 2013
Temple of Elemental Evil - May, 2013

There's an on-going Planescape: Torment Let's Play (it started at the end of September). I think it would be smarter to continue that one, since I doubt that the people who are currently playing it, will start it again so soon.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=491967&highlight=

Velinos

There's an on-going Planescape: Torment Let's Play (it started at the end of September). I think it would be smarter to continue that one, since I doubt that the people who are currently playing it, will start it again so soon.

I am also in favor of starting with PS:T since I am midway through the game right now. Also we should do like people suggested before and try to schedule the Arcanum playthrough at the same time that Chris Avellone plays it.

Good point, the only problem with that is if we were to start playing Arcanum alongside Avellone (which I think would be too neat to give up on).
Putting Planescape: Torment alongside Arcanum would be one compromise, the other would be to put Planescape: Torment far enough for people to want to play it again (it's that good).

Seeing as we kinda have 2 years before Project Eternity is launched, we could just a collective "Let's play!" for Planescape: Torment in exactly a year :p

Mupod

Man I've played through BG2 at least 6 times (and it is not a short game if you do everything), but I've never finished throne of bhaal. I couldn't get it when it came out because I was about half a step from living in a cardboard box but when I finally DID buy it, things kept happening to stop me from playing it.

Had my computer get destroyed by a power surge the first time, then I had to give away the free PC I got as a replacement from my brother (and I forgot to backup my saves), then a hard drive failure when I tried again a couple years later. The farthest I ever got was right before a water pipe broke in my apartment and I got forced out the day before christmas in 2007. I still have that save somewhere, but the computer's all packed up in a box and I just don't care. Because obliterating everything with improved alacrity time stop horrid wilting got boring. And it seems like disasters follow that game every time I play it so I'm scared to start it up again.

I think I'll play Arcanum though.

Besides the fact that i believe the game is bad all around its also:

a) not by the developers of Project Eternity
b) not even in the same vein as what Project Eternity is shooting for
c) one of the worst rpgs to play in terms of.. well.. everything, imo. The only redeeming quality of the game is the fan created scenarios. i know i said despite the fact but fuck it lol

People are too rough on two RPGs in history: Ultima 9 and NWN1. They are nowhere as bad as yall make them out to be...

... ok, truth be told NWN1 alone is pretty bad... get the 2 Expansion Packs (Hordes of the Underdark turns NWN1 from a "pretty bad" to a "whoa, cool!" game) and mandatory get the Sands of Fate trilogy (a mod).

SoF1:
http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Modules.Detail&id=3940

SoF2:
http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=modules.detail&id=4208

SoF3:
http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=modules.detail&id=4968

Sands of Fate turn NWN1 from a "whoa, cool!" to a "this is simply amazing!" game. Right on par with BG1 level.

Be warned, though, Sands of Fate is pretty long and hard. Cannot spoil it for you guys but it is really, really fucking amazing.

Perkel

Banned
People are too rough on two fine RPG in history: Ultima 9 and NWN1. They are nowhere as bad as yall make them out to be...

... ok, truth be told NWN1 alone is pretty bad... get the 2 Expansion Packs (Hordes of the Underdark turns NWN1 from a "pretty bad" to a "whoa, cool!" game) and mandatory get the Sands of Fate trilogy (a mod).

SoF1:
http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Modules.Detail&id=3940

SoF2:
http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=modules.detail&id=4208

SoF3:
http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=modules.detail&id=4968

Sands of Fate turn NWN1 from a "whoa, cool!" to a "this is simply amazing!" game. Right on par with BG1 level.

Be warned, though, Sands of Fate is pretty long and hard. Cannot spoil it for you guys but it is really, really fucking amazing.

Still it doesn't mean NWN1 is a good game. Main campain is terrible. Only second expansion was better but still it wasn't OMFG amazing. First two acts are just unbearable.

NWN thought has awesome mod support but mod support doesn't make vanilla game better.

It's same as Oblivion. Oblivion is a shitty game but mods are fantastic.

SquiddyBiscuit said:
I can understand people preferring the BG games to NWN, but not people preferring NWN2 to the first one - I really just don't get it.

NWN1 has nothing remotely as awesome as the NWN2's Trial and the Stronghold stuff.

I just found this wonderful thread over at Sorcerer's Place, this is the most extensive recap I've seen yet.

Hm, I still have my doubts as to the Orlans being one of the player races:

Orlans are a race of people found mostly in northern, temperate climates but also as far south as the Dyrwood. Physically, they are notable for their small stature, two-toned skin, and exceptionally large, hair-covered ears. Due to their size, orlans have been victimized and marginalized by most of the cultures with whom they have come into contact. As a result, it is rare to find large communities of them and they have progressively retreated into heavily wooded environments over the last few centuries. Many orlan communities have also adopted brutal guerilla tactics including heavy use of traps and poison in the surrounding environment. As a result, even orlans raised in urban cultures often share their rural kin's nasty reputation.

I believe someone from Obsidian confirmed that the Orlans and the Aumaua were both going to be playable in the AMA.

have you already decided if the Aumaua and Orlans are going to be playable races? (selectable by the player at the start of the game?)

perma-link

[–]Obsidian_Ent 46 points 2 days ago

JESawyer: Yes, we are planning to have aumaua and orlans as two of our playable races.

Yep, looks like it.

Ah well, I wasn't that impressed by the Orlans, but the fish people are somewhat refreshing.

DTKT

From the project Eternity subreddit:

On behalf of Obsidian I'd like to say thank you for showing the world that there is a still a market for awesome, top down, role playing games. Here are the totals as of 1:30pm PST today (note that PayPal is still open).

Kickstarter Backers: 73,986 Pledged: $3,986,929
PayPal Backers: 3,681 Pledged: $176,279
Totals Backers: 77,667 Pledged: $4,163,208

$4.16 million is absolutely incredible and makes us the most successful Kickstarter video game and the 3rd most successful Kickstarter ever. Now we're going to get to work to make you a great game, thanks again!

http://www.reddit.com/r/projecteternity/comments/11ng6a/pledge_totals_and_a_big_thank_you/

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
They said we can get a 15th level in the mega-dungeon if they hit 40,000 Facebook likes. In other words, there's still the chance we can see the titan's feet!

Was going to say they messed up the dungeon levels, but they fixed it already.

Anyways, 15 is way too big. I wonder if they will ramp up the difficulty, meaning you have to come back after you hit a wall. Probably for the best, I imagine a dungeon that large is rut you could get stuck in and never finish the game.

They said we can get a 15th level in the mega-dungeon if they hit 40,000 Facebook likes. In other words, there's still the chance we can see the titan's feet!

Already at 15. They fixed the mistake. I doubt we get enough late PayPal or Facebook likes to get to 16, though.

mclem

Update 27 is out.

Fifteen levels explicitly confirmed. And apparently they're still running with the likes to increase it.

They're looking into bringing the D&D game to youtube. Arcanum may be a 'holiday special' stream.

Anyways, 15 is way too big. I wonder if they will ramp up the difficulty, meaning you have to come back after you hit a wall. Probably for the best, I imagine a dungeon that large is rut you could get stuck in and never finish the game.

A smart move would be to include shortcuts out periodically, every four levels or so, so it's possible to break off and come back without having to battle through from the top again.

dude

dude
Anyways, 15 is way too big. I wonder if they will ramp up the difficulty, meaning you have to come back after you hit a wall. Probably for the best, I imagine a dungeon that large is rut you could get stuck in and never finish the game..

I'm pretty sure the Dungeon is optional. If they follow the Watcher's Keep formula, it's more like a stand-alone thing.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Each level for a dungeon is fun to think about but in reality if it was only 2 levels those 2 would be huge, where each of the 15 could be small. There is no context for size.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
A smart move would be to include shortcuts out periodically, every four levels or so, so it's possible to break off and come back without having to battle through from the top again.

I'd imagine so- old forgotten magic stones, or just some sort of rickety wooden lift!.

Something of a tangent, but I wonder what's going to happen with travel; an overworld like Fallout and BG is a given, with random encounters probably, but I wonder if teleportation magic exists to bypass it at a huge magic cost, whether we'll need to buy food and water, etc.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Hm, I still have my doubts as to the Orlans being one of the player races:
i admit that the original design for NWN sounded really good. i actually made a thread about awhile back called NWN: What could have been . Its a shame that Bioware did not go with the original idea.

Will be disappointed if the titan isn't alive and taking his confined state in good humor.
Seeing that head i was immediately reminded of PS:Ts Glyve in the Weeping Stone Catacombs.

Zeliard

Seeing that head i was immediately reminded of PS:Ts Glyve in the Weeping Stone Catacombs.

I thought of the exact same thing, heh.

i admit that the original design for NWN sounded really good. i actually made a thread about awhile back called NWN: What could have been . Its a shame that Bioware did not go with the original idea.

What if Bioware takes inspiration from this Kickstarter-driven resurgence of oldschool RPG goodness and makes Dragon Age III not suck?

Can such a thing

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
What if Bioware takes inspiration from this Kickstarter-driven resurgence of oldschool RPG goodness and makes Dragon Age III not suck?

Can such a thing
Nothing would make me happier. Seeing the developers response to how DA2 was received i doubt that very much though.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
I just noticed Obsidian hasn't connected their Facebook account to their KS one. Wouldn't that help if they really want more likes?

Velinos

Can such a thing

Except Bioware is owned by EA and not independent like Obsidian. Hopefully they learned from their mistakes with DA2 and EA let's them release a quality product.

Minsc

Gold Member

Reminds me of Diablo 1. But yes, I see (and hope) this 15 level dungeon is optional and has each level significantly more difficult than the last and final handful could possibly be near impossible without also playing the expansion for more levels and experience. But even if they don't take it that far, it would be nice to at least break it up so you aren't stuck in a 10 hour optional dungeon with the only way out being trekking up 13 maze-like floors to the top.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

Can such a thing

If Bioware weren't owned in their entirety by EA then... maybe? In their current state, especially with the doctors gone I wouldn't hold out much hope.

Except Bioware is owned by EA and not independent like Obsidian. Hopefully they learned from their mistakes with DA2 and EA let's them release a quality product.

Lets? Bioware isn't exactly a victim here.

Reminds me of Diablo 1. But yes, I see (and hope) this 15 level dungeon is optional and has each level significantly more difficult than the last and final handful could possibly be near impossible without also playing the expansion for more levels and experience. But even if they don't take it that far, it would be nice to at least break it up so you aren't stuck in a 10 hour optional dungeon with the only way out being trekking up 13 maze-like floors to the top.

With a demogorgon at the bottom!

LProtag

I never played any of these CRPGs intensively as a kid, but now I'm excited to go back after this kickstarter.

Start with Planescape or Arcanum?

Top Bottom