• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity by Obsidian Entertainment (Kickstarter) [Up: Teaser]

Grayman

As someone who would probably have kited like a coward through the whole game this should make the combat a lot deeper for me. or i will use a melee character to setup my kiting.

I do wonder if there is a potential issues with not needing line of sight and blocking a doorway from around the corner?

Ledsen

Engagement makes so much sense, I've always wondered why no CRPG has implemented a similar system in the past (or have they?). Imagining a real fight where one part simply decides to run away from a close combat encounter with little to no repercussions is very silly indeed. Warhammer (the tabletop game) has a similar concept and I believe it's carried over to the RTS games as well, which makes a lot of sense.

I see some comments on the KS page about potential problems with getting locked down by non-threatening enemies, or having to babysit your characters to make sure they don't auto-attack an enemy and Engage them before you can redirect them to your desired target. These concerns are valid, and having some sort of number attached to the lock-down ability would make sense to prevent silly situations like a feral rabbit locking down a fully armored knight.

zkylon

zkylewd
I'm pretty sure Neverwinter Nights 2 has a similar feature in which player characters throw a reflexes check to see if they hit enemies trying to "disengage".

It sounds good, and I like how classes have skills that interact with that mechanic. Really all about the game's gameplay design seems superb so far.

Lusankya

I'm sorry if this was already discussed, but what would happen if a long ranged weapon user wants to assist his melee party member, who is currently engaged in melee combat. Is there a possibility that he may hit his own team member?
Or don't we know anything about "friendly fire" yet?

Lancehead

Engagement makes so much sense, I've always wondered why no CRPG has implemented a similar system in the past (or have they?).

Yes, Attacks of Opportunity in NWN1 and 2. They were pretty annoying.

I'm sorry if this was already discussed, but what would happen if a long ranged weapon user wants to assist his melee party member, who is currently engaged in melee combat. Is there a possibility that he may hit his own team member?
Or don't we know anything about "friendly fire" yet?

I'm certain friendly fire works with AoE attacks, not point to point attacks. Wouldn't make sense otherwise in a non-first/third person action.

Labadal

The engagement system sounds interesting. It's good that you can only engage one enemy at first and then more as you level up.

injurai

Banned
New update, JES' back with more game design stuff yayyy: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects.../415136?ref=email&show_token=b43ffe4d65993f15

pe-josh-two-weapon-fighting.jpg

This update's nuts.

gotta love these updates. Obsidian is quickly becoming my most beloved developer if they weren't already it. I'm ready!!! Bring me home J.Sawyer!!!

Labadal

J.E Sawyer response on the Obsidian forum.
http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/63432-update-44-the-rules-of-melee-engagement/page-5
Start reading from post #84 and onwards for Sawyer's other comments.

It should be VERY clear what's happening, with some icons or symbolism to see when a character is engaged.

Speaking of which, instead of totally blocking movement, how about making the character move extremely slow instead? Sort of simulating those 5ft steps from d&d. You could then still turn the character (flanking/backstabs/whatnot) by moving slowly around him or lead it to someone better suited for killing him/keeping him in check. Or a fighter "gathering" more opponents, hehe.

The disengagement should also be very clear I think, perhaps requiring a press of a button, or if right-clock means movement, then disengage+move could be shift+righ-click or something? Doing it by mistake could be really frustrating. I also have a concern about this - By how it was described, if a melee character catches you and is actively attacking you, short of a special disengagement skill or outside help you have no way to get away from him (because of the hit reaction)?

What happens when you have multiple people in a melee fight though, I could see that complicating things a bit animation wise. In NWN the AoO and Cleave attacks could prevent regular attacks from happening on time, could change the attack target etc. NWN2 solved the problem in favor of the mechanics side, but it could still look rather silly (though I preferred it)...

Our plan is to use the selection circles (which all characters have) to indicate when they are engaging, engaged, and the targets involved. The most typical example would be two melee combatants moving toward each other and starting to fight. Their selection circles would increase in thickness when they are engaged and a short, overlapping line would run from the circle of the enemy engaging them toward their circle. I.e., characters who are engaged/engaging are visually linked through their selection circles.

We do not want to slow movement because that is not as clear as stopping movement and requiring you to give new input to move the character. We also very much intend for this to require you to be more careful with moving your characters. Yes, moving away from an engaging character can be difficult because of the risk involved, but that's the intention of the mechanic. We don't want it to be overly punitive, but we do want people to be wary about moving around melee enemies.

Disengagement Attacks will likely not be animated on the character's mesh. They will probably be abstracted in a fashion similar to NWN2 (though if we can find a higher fidelity solution, such as a duplicate "ghost" mesh to animate those attacks, we would use that).

injurai

Banned

Good interview. Doesn't give as much new information about the game so much as it's a good indication of the production sentiments of the team.

It's cool to here that they are excited to finally own and IP of their own that they can completely control and dictate it's development. I really hope this series takes off. If they make a good profit, they will probably be able to take all of this places.

Leckan

Did they send out this yet? I haven't seen it.

Project Eternity Add-On List

To add an add-on to your pledge, follow these steps:

Goto the Project Eternity Kickstarter site and press the Manage Your Pledge Button. If you have not pledged yet it will say Back this Project.
Increase your pledge in the Pledge Amount box by the total of the add-ons you want to add.
Do not change the tier you are currently pledged at, unless you also want to change it while you are on this screen. You will then need to add the total of your add-ons onto the amount of the tier you have just chosen.

After the end of the Kickstarter campaign you will receive a survey that will ask you questions so that you can explain how you would like the add-on money assigned.

Note: All add-ons require base pledge to be at the $20 tier and above. All physical add-ons require a physical reward tier to be selected ($65, $100, $140, $250+).

Digital Add-Ons (Any Tier $20 and Above)

Digital Download of Expansion Pack +$20 (included in tiers $165 and above)
Digital Download of Campaign Almanac +$15 (included in tiers $50 and above)
Digital Strategy Guide +$7 (included in tiers $80 and above)
Early Access Beta Key +$25 (included in tiers $110 and above)
Digital Audio Book of the Novella by Chris Avellone +$20 (included in tiers $165 and above)
Extra Digital Download of the Game +$25
Extra Three Digital Downloads of the Game +$60

Sothpaw

I backed $100 and I really hope they don't waste money putting romances in the game. Romances fucking suck in RPGs, even in BG2. Jaheira, Viconia, Aerie, all shit. And nowadays you have to shoehorn LGBT romances in as well just to be politically correct which wastes even more time.

I would rather my money went to putting in a secret uber boss or another adventuring questline than having the option to buy some chick flowers and eventually sleep with her.

Note: I am all for in-game whorehouses.

Summary: less romance, more adventuring and whoring.

Kurtofan

And nowadays you have to shoehorn LGBT romances in as well just to be politically correct which wastes even more time.

You say this as if it's super common for games to have LGBT romances, also this is not what political correctness is.

Seriously how are LGBT romances politically correct?Remember how Liara's romance with Femshep create a huge scandal?

Sothpaw

You say this as if it's super common for games to have LGBT romances, also this is not what political correctness is.

Well its in the last few big wrpgs I can think of (ME3, DA1 & 2, Skyrim, SWTOR). Hence I said nowadays. Also I have no problem with LGBT romances in games, I just don't like romances in games in general. LGBT was only mentioned because I see a trend of developers including more romances in games, not less. Really not going to get into a debate about what is or isn't political correctness.

I know I'm probably in the minority though; just stating my opinion.

Kurtofan

Well its in the last few big wrpgs I can think of (ME3, DA1 & 2, Skyrim, SWTOR). Hence I said nowadays. Also I have no problem with LGBT romances in games, I just don't like romances in games in general. LGBT was only mentioned because I see a trend of developers including more romances in games, not less. Really not going to get into a debate about what is or isn't political correctness.

I know I'm probably in the minority though; just stating my opinion.

I don't think Skyrim's romances really count since they were superficial.

The rest are Bioware games, and I think they only over did romances with DA2, which had much bigger problems.I don't know much about SWTOR but if it broke the taboo of homosexuality in Star Wars then I'm glad they added some same sex romances.

I'm not a fan of romances in game and don't really want them in Project Eternity but I don't really mind either way.

Moff

I backed $100 and I really hope they don't waste money putting romances in the game. Romances fucking suck in RPGs, even in BG2. Jaheira, Viconia, Aerie, all shit. And nowadays you have to shoehorn LGBT romances in as well just to be politically correct which wastes even more time.

I would rather my money went to putting in a secret uber boss or another adventuring questline than having the option to buy some chick flowers and eventually sleep with her.

is this some kind of a joke?
well I backed 140$ and I dont walk around pretending that gives me any right to tell them what to do. quite the contrary, I support this kickstarter project because I want obsidian to be completely free of dumb investors who know nothing about making good games. and if obsidian think romances are a good addition to the game then hell yeah they should invest time and my money into that aspect of the game.

dude

dude

Why is it shoehorning when it's LGBT?

Anyway, I completely disagree - Romances are integral to almost any story. Think of a story, does it have a love interest? Of curse it does. It just makes the story and game feel more complete. You may disagree, but I do think a lot of people will be glad to have romances. I'd want a couple of LGBT ones as well. They should just do it like BG2 - Optional, but if you choose to do it, it should feel complete and satisfying.

I also don't mind whorehouses...

I don't mind romances or whorehouses. Romances in whore houses? Probably a bad idea.

I, however, don't even remember what add-ons I bumped up my pledge for. Maybe I can find out in my old posts.

edit: I pledged 30 over. I'm thinking soundtrack Cd and card. Not really sure about the cards, but I don't think my 10 can get me anything else physical.

Grayman

Why is it shoehorning when it's LGBT?

Anyway, I completely disagree - Romances are integral to almost any story. Think of a story, does it have a love interest? Of curse it does. It just makes the story and game feel more complete. You may disagree, but I do think a lot of people will be glad to have romances. I'd want a couple of LGBT ones as well. They should just do it like BG2 - Optional, but if you choose to do it, it should feel complete and satisfying.

I also don't mind whorehouses...

i think the "shoehorning" people dislike is when all romance options are orientated towards the player characters gender. I do not play a lot of bioware tripe but can see it as a potential failing of characterization if all the companions are written twice, it also may not follow into the main game non romance conversations.

Prax

I really DO hope they put romances / possible pairings in! I love that tripe, even if it sucks. lol (hopefully it doesn't though~!)
And I also want LGBT romances "shoehorned" and crammed in.

Ideally, wouldn't an uber sidequest that leads to the romance or seals the romance be cool? I love character sidequests. But even if it's like:
This dungeon/quest/boss fight shows the backstory of a love gone really wrong, and you and a companion of your choosing (or maybe a split party) partially reenact the events to this mess until the very end where there are a few choices (make a decision the messed up lovers didn't, kill the lovers, etc. etc.), and one of the choice branches can cement your relationship with a companion if you should desire (or even cement a relationship between two companions you WANT to pair~! --please let there be every permutation between 2 party members possible!). This can be an end-game dungeon/quest so it doesn't mess with the rest of the early game interactions.

You may have this idea, Obsidian! lol I know it is a very good one and kind of mirrors an avenue on romance they spoke about.

dude

dude
i think the "shoehorning" people dislike is when all romance options are orientated towards the player characters gender. I do not play a lot of bioware tripe but can see it as a potential failing of characterization if all the companions are written twice, it also may not follow into the main game non romance conversations.

Hmm... Well, ideally each character would characterized with a sexual orientation in mind and the world will react to it in an appropriate manner. So it's whether or not you trust Obsidian's character building ability, and I do.

zkylon

zkylewd
Like I think I said before, romance as a theme is fine, having characters be in love with each other or heartbroken is great, sex is great, etc., but making the player character be one of those is usually a very complicated task that I've rarely seen done well.

I mean, I haven't played BG2, but I thought ME2 did get stuff right but even then when it "broke" it was just too jarring.

I'd rather they went for what's comfortable for them, and if they don't want you to be able to romance people up then that's their decision.

They're welcome to try, though, this is Kickstarter after all, so if it crashes and burns I won't mind as long as it's ambitious.

There's nothing wrong with romances, the problem arises when they make them too indulgent.

It's just crass to straight-up show an awkward "love" scene (polygon sex) because gamers just aren't there animation/graphic wise to make it an engaging experience.
PS: T had romances, and despite there not being a physical pay-off to them, they are 10x more engaging than the bullshit you can find in any given Dragonage or Mass Effect game.

Fortunately there won't be 3D cutscene pay-offs to romances in Project Eternity, as it is a 2D game (I dunno though, will there be cutscenes? I hope not).

Zeliard

Mass Effect did have an uncommonly effective 'romantic' moment with Liara in the 3rd game, which was surprising as it's generally presented in a hackneyed and immature fashion in those games. A very rare moment of inspiration for Bioware, I suppose. It can be done well, but few seem able to get it right. It's much easier to create violent interaction in games.

zkylon

zkylewd
There's nothing wrong with romances, the problem arises when they make them too indulgent.

It's just crass to straight-up show an awkward "love" scene (polygon sex) because gamers just aren't there animation/graphic wise to make it an engaging experience.
PS: T had romances, and despite there not being a physical pay-off to them, they are 10x more engaging than the bullshit you can find in any given Dragonage or Mass Effect game.

Fortunately there won't be 3D cutscene pay-offs to romances in Project Eternity, as it is a 2D game (I dunno though, will there be cutscenes? I hope not).
Technology-wise it's pretty doable, just have them make out, get into bed and fade to black, we don't need to see them rubbing against each other clipping all over the place.

I thought ME and TW2 did a couple tasteful foreplays, it's not actually a bad payoff, it's just that they bite more than they can chew and overall it feels super awkard for your relationship with a character to end the moment you have sex with them.

I dunno about Bioware but usually I try to keep anyone willing to have sex with me as close as possible, I don't run out of conversation options as soon as I get laid (usually).

injurai

Banned
Mass Effect did have an uncommonly effective 'romantic' moment with Liara in the 3rd game, which was surprising as it's generally presented in a hackneyed and immature fashion in those games. A very rare moment of inspiration for Bioware, I suppose. It can be done well, but few seem able to be get it right. It's much easier to create violent interaction in games.

I really liked the one with Liara from the first game as well =O

Technology-wise it's pretty doable, just have them make out, get into bed and fade to black, we don't need to see them rubbing against each other clipping all over the place.

I thought ME and TW2 did a couple tasteful foreplays, it's not actually a bad payoff, it's just that they bite more than they can chew and overall it feels super awkard for your relationship with a character to end the moment you have sex with them.

I dunno about Bioware but usually I try to keep anyone willing to have sex with me as close as possible, I don't run out of conversation options as soon as I get laid (usually).

I wish I could clip. That would be hot. Add in some sexy pantie z-fighting!!!

dude

dude
I really liked how in BG2 the romances were optional but also felt integral and important to the plot. It was also very tastefully done in terms of sex - most of the romances were not heavy on sex and never felt cheap. Maybe that's a side effect of graphical limitations, but it was very good.
Actually, the move to 3D was a huge blow to female characters - in BG2, you see only a little of the characters sprite and none of the portraits were very sexual (even Viconia, the most sexual of all the characters in the game, was tasteful.) Since then, developers feel the need to make female characters dress as ridiculously as possible.

DTKT

I don't think it was supposed to be animated. I think he might have just meant that they are animating it, and just linked the original concept art as a "reminder".

dude

dude
I really wish they'd include a larger version of the new area concept art. I know most of the guys here aren't crazy about her character art, but Polina is amazing when it comes to area design.

zkylon

zkylewd
Think you guys are just reading into it wrong. They describe a bit of the work to bring these things to life below.
Tbh they're phrasing it wrong, rather :p

Tiny cave thingie looks good, I guess, can't see, but good to hear they're almost out of prototype phase.

Can't wait to see this shit in motion

I don't think it was supposed to be animated. I think he might have just meant that they are animating it, and just linked the original concept art as a "reminder".

meh it confused me at first, too but I guess you're right.
I was so excited when I read "animating" :S

dude

dude
Great concept art (!)

Can't wait for the new image (possibly a gif/video? He did talk about the dynamic water and such) in two weeks ;)

I'm digging that concept art. I like that the female soldier/knight in armor has her hair back in a pony tail too, even if its just concept art. Always bugs me when games have female soldiers with super long hair flying around. I'd think that would be kind of annoyance if you were in battle.

Looking forward to seeing some new images or footage in a couple weeks.

Top Bottom