• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity by Obsidian Entertainment (Kickstarter) [Up: Teaser]

zkylon

zkylewd
You think that is silly ....

then here look at this:

husarz-straz-hetmanska.jpg
husarz_by_perun_tworek-d51wrii.jpg

If you see someone funny looking on battlefield you know shit is about to get real.
for fairness' sake, I had a polish friend that once told me that hussars didn't really wear the wings to battle :p

Perkel

Banned
for fairness' sake, I had a polish friend that once told me that hussars didn't really wear the wings to battle :p

This unit was used in over 250 years of history and at that time there was no better cavalry. Definitely in last part of those 250 years wings were not used in battle.

Still looking at charge of heavy cavalry with dudes wearing lions ,tiger pelts would probably frighten anyone in middle of europe.

zkylon

zkylewd
This unit was used in over 250 years of history and at that time there was no better cavalry. Definitely in last part of those 250 years wings were not used in battle.

Still looking at charge of heavy cavalry with dudes wearing lions ,tiger pelts would probably frighten anyone in middle of europe.
what I mean is that they're probably just ornaments for parades or something like that.

I am forever at odds with that polish guy but I think that's what he said

ghostmind

Wow, that looked really nice. Once they have it all figured out, I wonder how quickly they are going to be able to generate content.

Zeliard

Yeah, that looks pretty phenomenal. The dynamic lighting together with the detail and artistry of the 2D background makes for a striking look.

O.DOGG

So excited to see the game in motion. They've done a great job. It far exceeded my expectations. I find it hard to believe it's all in 2D, especially that lighting. Amazing stuff.

Hopefully this will mean more people using 2D in the future, if they can pull off this level of quality with it.

zkylon

zkylewd
Update #50: So... Project Eternity!

new update with a faq for people that haven't been following the game too closely:

also a pic of the tongue twisting aumaua race, I like how they look:

pe-aumaua-head-wip.jpg

they're supposed to be some sort of brutish fish people, that sounds up my alley.

other than that nothing really interesting for us folk

also more MCA x arcanum: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=wXcJNo9eYsE

so many video resolution options

he actually uses the map wtf season 1 ruined

Onemic

new update with a faq for people that haven't been following the game too closely:

pe-aumaua-head-wip.jpg

they're supposed to be some sort of brutish fish people, that sounds up my alley.

also more MCA x arcanum: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=wXcJNo9eYsE

Don't you need to use the map in Arcanum? The game world is huge.

rakhir

I can't watch him play Arcanum, he does everything wrong. It's really baffling.

what I mean is that they're probably just ornaments for parades or something like that.

I am forever at odds with that polish guy but I think that's what he said
I always read that there were also used in battles: apparently they were generating a very loud noise during cavalary charge that was scaring enemies and, most important, their horses.

I think i would shit my pants if i'd see a massive, roaring, winged heavy armored cavalary charging towards me, so that's understandable.

zkylon

zkylewd
Don't you need to use the map in Arcanum? The game world is huge.
yeah but it was almost becoming like one of those jokes that become funny just because of how long they get, or something.

but good on him for finally using it, it was gonna get old soonish.

I can't watch him play Arcanum, he does everything wrong. It's really baffling.
in his defense, arcanum is terrible at interface and just starting you out, I remember dying over and over to those fucking wolves myself (though a lot less than him rofl).

he should've read the manual tho

I always read that there were also used in battles: apparently they were generating a very loud noise during cavalary charge that was scaring enemies and, most important, their horses.

I think i would shit my pants if i'd see a massive, roaring, winged heavy armored cavalary charging towards me, so that's understandable.
well then I guess they were.

my friend wasn't all that trustworthy anyways. none of my friends are :/

Kimaka

pe-aumaua-head-wip.jpg

I'm so glad he's finally out of the starting area. Though, at the pace he's going and with an episode every two weeks, Eternity will be out before he's finished with Arcanum.

TrutaS

I wonder what Tim Cain thinks about Avellone's LP.

This is what I'm thinking when I watch the playthrough, he is struggling and criticizing so often that it would be great to have some commentary from one of the creator who happens to work at the office next door.

Perkel

Banned
This is what I'm thinking when I watch the playthrough, he is struggling and criticizing so often that it would be great to have some commentary from one of the creator who happens to work at the office next door.

He is just new dude starting Arcanum. I was like that too. Arcanum isn't your typical RPG. There is alchemy, engineering which he wasn't even know it exist, magic system which he even didn't notice.

For first 0-6 hours he will discover new things and this is why Arcanum is beautiful.

duckroll

I wonder what Tim Cain thinks about Avellone's LP.

Tim Cain is probably too busy actually working with Sawyer on fleshing out the mechanics of Project Eternity. I bet he walks over every now and then and shakes his head. :D :D :D

If Sawyer is reading this, maybe he can confirm or deny!

Onemic

in his defense, arcanum is terrible at interface and just starting you out, I remember dying over and over to those fucking wolves myself (though a lot less than him rofl).
/

Im about 2 hours in and the game is pretty easy. How did he die against the wolves? o_O

Unless he's trying to play a gunslinger. I only watched the first episode of the LP

One thing I love about arcanum is when you get knocked out, everyone kicks the shit out of you and then you die. The first time I saw it, it took me off guard because I've never seen an RPG like that before.

Kimaka

Im about 2 hours in and the game is pretty easy. How did he die against the wolves? o_O

Unless he's trying to play a gunslinger. I only watched the first episode of the LP

Instead of using the map to travel to Shrouded Hills, he wanted to walk. He didn't realize that the wolves past the starting area were meant to be a way to force you to use the map and he ended up dying a lot. When he finally tried to use the map he got the "Your path is blocked" message which resulted in more wolf death. It also didn't help that he spent all of his points on persuasion and charisma.

Labadal

somebody should probably tell him this ain't Torment
I do this all the time too

I did this on my last playthrough and had a gang like the world has never seen.

I had six followers, so we were 7 dudes & dudettes roaming and slaughtering evildoers. When I got to the Void, I recruited a few more. I had 10 characters in my party by the end. The funny part is that I took the peaceful way out in the final confrontation.

duckroll

Looks like Sawyer posted some interesting thoughts on Baldur's Gate 2 very recently: http://www.formspring.me/JESawyer/q/449392305086952316

Pretty relevant to Project Eternity too.

What has changed since you said you didn't like BG2 (In early 2006), or how are you going to avoid the problems you had with BG2 in PE?

A lot of the problems I had with BG2 had more to do with specific design choices than with the overall style of the game. Avoiding (or ignoring) the problems I had with it while still having a similar style of game is pretty easy, IMO. Taking the specific things I listed a long time ago:

* CNPCs - Many of their introductions didn't sit well with me and I felt that there were too many who didn't have an equal amount of development given to them. While it was great that so many of them had a ton of quest content, I would have preferred a smaller list of companions with more attention to each one. This is what we said we were going to do at the start of the Kickstarter and it's what we're still planning to do.

* Being required to find/save Imoen - I didn't like it then and I still don't. I wouldn't make the player rescue an NPC with whom he or she may or may not have a positive relationship. It's a very specific plot point and easy to not do. I understand that a lot of people have no problem with the rescue plot, which is totally fine, but I don't think that particular plot point needs to be repeated in PE.

* Style of dialogue - I prefer naturalistic -- some would say "dry" -- dialogue. BG2's characters are much more expressive. This is a personal thing and I recognize that most players *don't* like the same style of dialogue that I do. What I strictly prefer and what I write and have others write are not the same thing. My characters in F:NV are still on the dry end of the spectrum (e.g. Arcade Gannon, Chief Hanlon, Joshua Graham), but there are plenty of more flamboyant, expressive characters in the game that other writers developed.

* Being flooded with quests in Athkatla - To be honest, I don't think is a controversial opinion! I've seen many other players say the same thing. BG2 has a crazy amount of quests, which is great, but the density in Athkatla was a little too crazy. I think those quests should have been spread out or staggered in some other way. PE is going to have more of an exploration focus than BG2 (though not as much as BG), so I believe that will help spread the content out more.

Even though I had those problems with BG2, my job as a lead designer and project director is not to create content that appeals specifically to my tastes. Obviously I would have a difficult time making a game that I *disliked*, but I have (and continue to) push for elements I feel that players will ultimately enjoy even if I'm not super thrilled about it. That's my job.

Sentenza

Can't say I share most of his complaints about the game, even if I can easily see where they come from.

- Having a lot of NPCs was great and gave to the player great freedom about how to compose his party and what role cover himself. Of course, more depth and more interactions are always welcomed, but we all know that at some point you have to deal with trade offs.

- Not too fond of that plot point either, and I never liked Imoen much in the first place, but it didn't bother me at all. And in a story arc as "campy" and "corny" as BG generally was, that doesn't make much of a difference for me.

- I'm eventually all for drier dialogues and I often argued in the past with friends trying to convince me that writing in BG2 was excellent. It wasn't. Then again it was a lot of fun and recognizable characters all around, and it's very easy to get "dry" wrong and go for boring.

- This is the point where I probably agree less: fuck that. Having a shitload of quests, even completely unrelated to the main plot, was very enjoyable to me, and I think that BG2 generally had a far better pacing and content distribution that BG1.

dude

dude
Well, his complaints are a mix of correct and... weird I guess.

1. The amount of CNPCs in BG2 was indeed very large, so some of them were less developed than others - But I think I can honestly say none of them were boring and all of them added something to your group. Even Cernd, undoubtedly the biggest bore-fest in the game, had a pretty cool story with his son and all. I will again iterate my unpopular opinion that most of BG2's CNPCS easily triumph PS:T's in quality. But I really can't understand how BG2 could possibly have such an amount of quality content, so I can understand wanting less NPCs if that keeps their quality at BG2 level.

2. Saving Imoen was just last week a cause for a very long argument about the game with my flatmates - First, I will have to say the game actually doesn't make you save Imoen, It makes you either save her or go after Irenicus. If you hate her, you could just go after him for revenge or finding out what power he tried to untap in you. But both motivations are pretty weak IMO, so I guess I sort of agree (This is also problematic from the perspective of the game Damseling Imoen, thank you Anita for making me think of this). Though I will say they did a fantastic job at making you relate to Imoen at the beginning of the game, she had many dialogues with you, she's one of the only characters you could talk to about this crazy dungeon around you at this point in the game, and you can't really hate her when you understand that the subtext basically implies she was raped.

3. Eh. The dialogues in BG2 were the best. I'm not a fan of "dry" dialogues. I think BG2 got the mix of comedy, seriousness, flamboyance and dryness perfectly right and I hope PE can strike that same balance.

4. Athkatla was huge living hub filled with quality content wherever you sneeze, but it could be a bit overwhelming at first... Especially considering the quality of every quest sometimes made them incredibly long, which meant you were swamped with endless stuff all the time. I think the pacing in Athakatla could have been improved a bit to be less overwhelming at first.

Looks like Sawyer posted some interesting thoughts on Baldur's Gate 2 very recently: http://www.formspring.me/JESawyer/q/449392305086952316

Pretty relevant to Project Eternity too.

Hmm... well, I agree with that last point for sure; you're hit with far too many quests right when you reach Athkatla. They should have been spread out more.

As for Imoen, I did want to rescue her (she's someone I knew from the first game, of course, and also given her class change, she's another mage for the party!), but I can see why he'd have a problem with it being required.

That first point, though... I thought that BG2 balanced that well. BG1 had lots of possible companions with almost no characterization each for a lot of them. BG2 had fewer, with more characterization. And then Torment had very few, but with a lot. I guess he's aiming at something maybe closer to Torment than BG2? And yeah, Torment is the best RPG, but I like that the BG games give you more choices. I actually found BG2's selection a little limiting; since there were fewer choices than BG1, you couldn't choose quite as freely. For instance, unless you're a cleric, you have like one non-Evil choice... I understand why that happened, as having to write for more characters isn't easy, but I don't really want to see that number get even smaller... but I guess it will. Too bad.

Ceebs

I really hope they go all out with the bestiary. One of my biggest complaints over the past several years with RPGs is the variety of things to kill is simply pathetic. Nothing is as offensive as Dragon Age and it's like 10 monsters total, but my monster variety has still been very limited.

duckroll

Town Guard A.I. - How do guards protect the village when you start casting fireballs in the town square? They beat you down... or at least try to. The guards will hook into the reputation and faction mechanics, which tells guards when they turn hostile towards the party.

:bigboner

Top Bottom