• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity by Obsidian Entertainment (Kickstarter) [Up: Teaser]

~Kinggi~

Banned
I feel like maybe they should better explain what they mean by the new companions. Like, does that also mean a ton of new character specific dialog during quests? That sounds a lot better than just a new spellcaster.

I feel like maybe they should better explain what they mean by the new companions. Like, does that also mean a ton of new character specific dialog during quests? That sounds a lot better than just a new spellcaster.

They pretty much said that's what it's gonna be.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.

Yeah I'd be much happier with more dialogue over a new companion after you get to around 5-6

Grayman

I think their boards crashed while I was writing a post. 50/50 chance of being funded, maybe their sales and luck with publishers led Obsidian to not knowing they are a lot of peoples favourite developers.

O.DOGG

The only problem I see with adding more companions would be that I wouldn't be able to have them all in my party at the same time. And also, FUCK YEAH, WE MADE IT! Just woke up, had to get it out.

J Sawyer has been posting in the Something Awful thread somewhat regularly. He said he though they only had a 50/50 chance of making it to 1.1 million during the entire Kickstarter.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?action=showpost&postid=407584077

Posted that just now saying he is going to work on a blog post tomorrow outlining details about the world.

It is so sad how they have been fucked over by publishers so much in their lives that they thought they only had a 50% chance of getting funded. They never knew how much people loved them. Makes you just want to give them a hug.

I never made the connection that Sawyer is rope kid. Glancing through that thread, this is my favourite part:

Mature themes, to us, means exploring concepts in a frank manner from many angles through the story and the characters in it. Dead Money explored obsession. Honest Hearts explored religion. Even when dealing with alien (or elven[?!?!]) cultures and magic/technology, themes should relate back to what players would understand as part of the human condition. E.g. a film like District 9 is good at triggering sensitivities to (real world) racism and dehumanization in the audience even though the aliens are fictional.

HP_Wuvcraft said:
That was sloppy.

I expected more from you.

Imagine how I feel.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Yeah, on one hand, it's human nature for romance to spring up in unusual places. On the other hand, it's sort of fucking weird to have demons from the bowels of hell rampaging across the land, and suddenly,l you're stopping to ask your sweetie if you hurt her feelings when you talked to the sultry princess.

Romances in games either need to grow up, or gtfo.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
Although in MotB, I wish you could have all the companions with you but meh.

That annoyed me so much I messed around with the console till I could . Probably made the game far, far too easy, but all the fun interactions I'd have missed otherwise made up for it.

Grayman

Yeah, on one hand, it's human nature for romance to spring up in unusual places. On the other hand, it's sort of fucking weird to have demons from the bowels of hell rampaging across the land, and suddenly,l you're stopping to ask your sweetie if you hurt her feelings when you talked to the sultry princess.

Romances in games either need to grow up, or gtfo.

good thing Obsidian is good at that thing if they choose to do it. Given that they aren't checking publisher boxes they won't be making the full roaster romance options if they do any at all.

That annoyed me so much I messed around with the console till I could . Probably made the game far, far too easy, but all the fun interactions I'd have missed otherwise made up for it.

The game was far too easy even with the default number of companions. You didn't miss much, you don't play NWN2 for challenging gameplay. Obsidian in general makes easy games.

god josh sawyer and chris avellone are freaking artisans. zeits is awesome too, but those guys in particular just understand why I play games and feel like they make games just for me <3

Trigger

I can't wait till more about the lore and universe. It's more than likely going to be the thing that sticks with me months after I finish the game.

Xanathus

I think they were caught flat-footed by the speed at which it was funded which would explain why these stretch goals don't make any budget sense.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
Oh man those stretch goals are fucking horrible. A new companion? Really? They should be expanding the game world not adding a new NPC that players might not even have in their party. A mac and Linux port??? How does that benefit the current backers? Stretch goals in general should be experienced by all backers who got the game funded. For this game, every stretch goal should be about making the game world and lore deeper.

Am I the only one whi dislikes stretch goals that just amount to "more and bigger." i have mre games than frankly I will probably be able to play in my lifetime. I have no need fr 100+ hours of content. I'd much rather have that money go to higher QUALITY content.

For example:

- voice acting
- branching narratives
-orchestral soundtract
-co-op
-steamworks mod support
-CG cutscenes
-big screen support mode

Rather than continually adding more content, I'd rather them just enchance the content they already have planned.p with features such as these.

DTKT

Am I the only one whi dislikes stretch goals that just amount to "more and bigger." i have mre games than frankly I will probably be able to play in my lifetime. I have no need fr 100+ hours of content. I'd much rather have that money go to higher QUALITY content.

For example:

- voice acting
- branching narratives
-orchestral soundtract
-co-op
-steamworks mod support
-CG cutscenes
-big screen support mode

Rather than continually adding more content, I'd rather them just enchance the content they already have planned.p with features such as these.

Voice acting, co-op and CG cutscenes are way outside the scope of a Kickstarter project. Mod support and orchestral soundtracks can be done, but only as stretch goals.

~Kinggi~

Banned

For example:

- voice acting
- branching narratives
-orchestral soundtract
-co-op
-steamworks mod support
-CG cutscenes
-big screen support mode

If the kickstarter gets that far, which it should if it continues its current pace, i think the 2.4 mil and beyond stuff thats coming soon might be a bit better. Especially after the feedback they get. They are doing exactly what i thought they should do. Have a big longterm goal, and make a bunch of smaller ones they will meet. Then release more interesting goals after they meet them.

Hope the pace keeps up. They are averaging about 1.5k every 10 minutes.

Emitan

Just out of curiosity who actually played Baldur's Gate and other IE style games in co-op? Don't know a single person who did.

Derrick01

Banned

For example:

- voice acting
-orchestral soundtract
-co-op
-CG cutscenes
-big screen support mode

I most definitely want more content than the stuff that I left on your list up there. Voice acting is nice but it's really really hard to do a lot of quality and branching writing when you have to pay a lot of money for actors, and the bigger the script the more you have to pay I believe.

Billiechu said:
Just out of curiosity who actually played Baldur's Gate and other IE style games in co-op? Don't know a single person who did.

Yeah I don't either.

Voice acting, co-op and CG cutscenes are way outside the scope of a Kickstarter project. Mod support and orchestral soundtracks can be done, but only as stretch goals.

They may be outside the scope of most kickstarters yes. But multi-million dollar ones, no.

Heck, there are plenty of tiny budget indie games tht have voice acting and coop.

Anyway, my point was, those type pf features I listed are far more appealing than just "more, more, more" which s what these stretch goals primarily seem to be.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
For this game, every stretch goal should be about making the game world and lore deeper.

While I get you general point... adding a character doesn't do that? MOTB had each character reflect on the same event in different ways, for example, showing you the reactions of their own philosophy, shaped by their respective cultures.

~Kinggi~

Banned
While I get you general point... adding a character doesn't do that? MOTB had each character reflect on the same event in different ways, for example, showing you the reactions of their own philosophy, shaped by their respective cultures.

This is why i was saying i wish they would elaborate more on what having an extra companion actual means. If it means more story and dialog then thats pretty awesome. If it just means another different person to cast spells, then not so great.

HoosTrax

Not as such, but I did experiment with using BG's multiplayer mode to create fully custom parties. Then gave it up after realizing the game loses a lot of flavor without Jaheira's bitching and Minsc's... idiosyncrasies. I think I had 56k internet back then, come to think of it.

DTKT

They may be outside the scope of most kickstarters yes. But multi-million dollar ones, no.

Heck, there are plenty of tiny budget indie games tht have voice acting and coop.

Anyway, my point was, those type pf features I listed are far more appealing than just "more, more, more" which s what these stretch goals primarily seem to be.

An RPG is not your "average" indie game. You have thousands and thousands of lines that must be acted. I mean, I don't even want to know the budget for the VO in a game like Mass Effect or New Vegas.

This is not a 7-8 mil project. This is, at best, a 4mil game. I mean, Planescape Torment had some of the best writing and I don't think it could have been done with voice acting while having the same impact.

An RPG is not your "average" indie game. You have thousands and thousands of lines that must be acted. I mean, I don't even want to know the budget for the VO in a game like Mass Effect or New Vegas.

This is not a 7-8 mil project. This is, at best, a 4mil game. I mean, Planescape Torment had some of the best writing and I don't think it could have been done with voice acting while having the same impact.

Yeah with less voice acting you can get more dialogue options and results.

Dresden

For example:

- voice acting
- branching narratives
-orchestral soundtract
-co-op
-steamworks mod support
-CG cutscenes
-big screen support mode

I hope they never listen to you

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

For example:

- voice acting
- branching narratives
-orchestral soundtract
-co-op
-steamworks mod support
-CG cutscenes
-big screen support mode

I'm hoping this will be the kind of game where branching narratives, to a certain extent, are a given

For example:

- voice acting
- branching narratives
-orchestral soundtract
-co-op
-steamworks mod support
-CG cutscenes
-big screen support mode

Wow, you're a real piece of work aren't you.

Yup. I don't want them to waste millions of dollars so someone can read to me. I'm a big girl. I can do it by myself thank you very much.

I dont think it is the same thing has having someone read to you. It is supposed to be characters talking to one another. Do you also hate "the talkies" since films with sound "read to you"?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I dont think it is the same thing has having someone read to you. It is supposed to be characters talking to one another. Do you also hate "the talkies" since films with sound "read to you"?

That's like saying that films are always better than their book counterparts. Sometimes text is superior. Particularly for high-volume works and for conveying atmosphere.

Emitan

I would rather have more writing than less writing so they can waste money on voice acting.

Orayn

Yes, sorry. I now realize what a horrible and stupid person I am for making such suggestions.

Voice acting is a bad fit for this game because its expense grows dramatically with the amount of dialogue, and Eternity is bound to have a ton. (Even moreso if you want major branching in the story.)

Deraldin

Unconfirmed Member

I actually tried this out at one point. I ended up joining some random dude's game, but didn't stick around for very long. It was just long enough to pick up the Rhynn Lanthorn after coming out of the Underdark. The experience was underwhelming to say the least.

Screaming_Gremlin

My QB is a Dick and my coach is a Nutt
I will say the one thing I find disappointing about stretch goals like "an extra companion" is that unless I missed it, they haven't detailed how many there are in the first place. So saying I am going to get an extra one doesn't mean much to me as of yet. At least player housing seems like a tangible thing. That said I have already dropped a $100 on this game (and am fighting myself from increasing that to a lot more than I should), so they already have my money.

I am also in the group that doesn't want voice acting, with the exception of small things like what used to be in the Infinity Engine. It is too limiting to the writing. I would much rather have more more expansive dialog trees.

Top Bottom