• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity by Obsidian Entertainment (Kickstarter) [Up: Teaser]

~Kinggi~

Banned
I will say the one thing I find disappointing about stretch goals like "an extra companion" is that unless I missed it, they haven't detailed how many there are in the first place. So saying I am going to get an extra one doesn't mean much to me as of yet. At least player housing seems like a tangible thing. That said I have already dropped a $100 on this game (and am fighting myself from increasing that to a lot more than I should), so they already have my money.

I am also in the group that doesn't want voice acting, with the exception of small things like what used to be in the Infinity Engine. It is too limiting to the writing. I would much rather have more more expansive dialog trees.

They said the game starts with 3 races, 5 classes and 5 companions. Goals are extra.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Oh really? The goals are a sizable increase then. Cool

1.1 million, Base Goal – Achieved!
Base game includes three races, five classes, and five companions. We have ideas for these, but we want to hear your opinions on what you'd like to see. Stay tuned to Kickstarter, our website, and our forums to join in on the conversation.

yeah i guess this is easy to miss.

They said the game starts with 3 races, 5 classes and 5 companions. Goals are extra.

So ultimately, we could/are be/are getting:

6 races
7 classes
7 companions

Without the stretch goals, it seems we'd be getting two of Race X and two of Race Y, with each being one of the classes.

So I like six races.

Ceebs

co-op in IE games was really just a nod to the pnp roots of the settings and systems, it's a shame it never really took off.

I have been begging for a turn based multiplayer D&D game with the 5E ruleset. It would be amazing done right.

Instead we get shit like Neverwinter or Daggerdale

That's like saying that films are always better than their book counterparts. Sometimes text is superior.

Sometimes, perhaps. But I would say rarely. Spoken dialog allows for sublty of tone that is hard to communicate in written dialog. This can be made up for in narration in books that serve to contextualize dialog but it is never a real substituit. This is because, to state the obvious, dialog is meant to be spoken. It is literally defined as words characters are supoosed to be saying. If it doesnt work spoken out loud, that frankly means it is bad dialog.

Speaking it make dialog come to life, almost literally. It fills it with emotion, emphasis. cadence, and idiolect that humanizes and embodies it. This is the same reason Shakespeare os better performed and heard outloud than read. His plays are composed of dialog that is meant to be spoken.

DTKT

I have issues with the idea of branching narratives in games.

In a perfect world, branching stories would be the best thing ever. It lets the player craft his own story and he really feels like his choices can have a real impact since it shapes the world around him. It sounds awesome!

But alas, this is the real world. Where money and manpower are not infinite. So, instead of having a great story split into two equally awesome branches, you get weaker ones because they can't concentrate on one of the two.

I mean, just look at Mass Effect, you had a lot of decisions that really changed the story, yet most of it was irrelevant in ME3, where it was all supposed to pay off.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Sometimes, perhaps. But I would say rarely. Spoken dialog allows for sublty of tone that is hard to communicate in written dialog. This can be made up for in narration in books that serve to contextualize dialog but it is never a real substituit. This is because, to state the obvious, dialog is meant to be spoken. It is literally defined as words characters are supoosed to be saying. If it doesnt work spoken out loud, that frankly means it is bad dialog.

Speaking it make dialog come to life, almost literally. It fills it with emotion, emphasis. cadence, and idiolect that humanizes and embodies it. This is the same reason Shakespeare os better performed than read. His plays are composed of dialog that is meant to be spoken.
But in video games it so rarely rarely does. So really truly rarely. Even the great BioWare is incredibly hit or miss. Good voice acting may be better then good text, but good text is far better for me then mediocre to bad voice acting, which is almost certainly what we'd get on this budget if even stuff like Assassin's Creed and Mass Effect isn't up to my standards.

Ceebs

In a perfect world, branching stories would be the best thing ever. It lets the player craft his own story and he really feels like his choices can have a real impact since it shapes the world around him. It sounds awesome!

But alas, this is the real world. Where money and manpower are not infinite. So, instead of having a great story split into two equally awesome branches, you get weaker ones because they can't concentrate on one of the two.

I mean, just look at Mass Effect, you had a lot of decisions that really changed the story, yet most of it was irrelevant in ME3, where it was all supposed to pay off.

Counterpoint: Alpha Protocol.

DTKT

Counterpoint: Alpha Protocol.

Took so much money to make the story right that the gameplay was shit.

THAT'S RIGHT SHOTS FIRED

Voice acting has it's place even in these sorts of games. I know Irenicus would have been a lesser character if his monologues weren't voiced and instead just text. For special events and "cutscenes" voice acting is certainly a welcome enhancement, if they can afford it.

Exactly, you voice characters when it's appropriate but for Infinity, full voice acting is just too ambitious.

Voice acting has its place even in these sorts of games. I know Irenicus would have been a lesser character if his monologues weren't voiced and were instead just text. For special events and "cutscenes" voice acting is certainly a welcome enhancement, if they can afford it.

njean777

Backed really am excited to play the game, plus I have a special love for anything obsidian makes even if it is terrible sometimes you can just tell by the writing that they love what they do.

The Technomancer

Voice acting has it's place even in these sorts of games. I know Irenicus would have been a lesser character if his monologues weren't voiced and instead just text. For special events and "cutscenes" voice acting is certainly a welcome enhancement, if they can afford it.

For a few events and cutscenes perhaps

I would rather have more writing than less writing so they can waste money on voice acting.

And I would rather have better writing than more writing. And voice actors would force you to be a better editor. Good writing is about the economy of language, saying as much as you can with as few words as possible. That is the essence of powerful language. As Pound noted, great literature is "language charged to the utmost with meaning."

Eusis

I dont think it is the same thing has having someone read to you. It is supposed to be characters talking to one another. Do you also hate "the talkies" since films with sound "read to you"?
What the Technomancer said is true, but more importantly the very nature of video games can be very, VERY different even with money being a non-issue. In film there's rarely a reason to go text only, usually you're going for a specific effect or something, but in a game you can have a far larger volume to work with, which takes up more memory and more time to work out. SOME VA may be reasonable, in fact I believe they stated they would do that (similar to what Fallout and the Infinity Engine games did I believe), but full VA can be (and arguably HAS BEEN) detrimental to games with loads of text and dialogue options like RPGs.

Besides, everything's probably going to be acted out with low detail characters standing around, coming closer to action figures than a play. Something like FFVII's cutscenes (when they had dialogue anyway) are better examples of "well, why not?"

Orayn

Voice acting has its place even in these sorts of games. I know Irenicus would have been a lesser character if his monologues weren't voiced and were instead just text. For special events and "cutscenes" voice acting is certainly a welcome enhancement, if they can afford it.

For a few events and cutscenes perhaps

Having voice acting for a few important characters at a few important times wouldn't be bad, but any more than that is a no-no purely for practical reasons.

Emitan

And I would rather have better writing than more writing. And voice actors would force you to be a better editor. Good writing is about the economy of language, saying as much as you can with as few words as possible. That is the essence of powerful language. As Pound noted, great literature is "language charged to the utmost with meaning."
Did Pound write role playing games with a branching narrative? Did he spend millions on voice acting?

sueil

In an RPG like this voice acting should be a minor part of it. For important lines of the story, flavor like Minsc, generic NPC innkeeper type replies that they have one sentence voiced. Voice acting can help in that respect. The problem with voice acting is for anything complex it quickly becomes hugely expensive. It also is severely limiting on the complexity of the narrative and player choice. We went from games having huge branching dialogue paths, to everything leading the same place and having 3 different ways to say the same thing. Lack of voice acting isn't a bad thing. It is not a missing feature. It is something that will make for a better game.

But in video games it so rarely rarely does. So really truly rarely. Even the great BioWare is incredibly hit or miss. Good voice acting may be better then good text, but good text is far better for me then mediocre to bad voice acting, which is almost certainly what we'd get on this budget if even stuff like Assassin's Creed and Mass Effect isn't up to my standards.

Frankly I think the examples you refer to are more about badly written dialog than they are bad actors. I wont say the latter is never a problem but it is certainly true that when you speak dumb words outloud it makes it a lot more apparent they are dumb.

But if it is good dialog, it deserves to be spoken because dialog is literally written to be spoken. Especially videogames are not a typographic medium. They are visual and aural by nature.

To me it is like saying it would be better to have text that pops up ans says says "Then a gust of wind blew by" rather than actually having the sound of wind in the game.

My thoughts ex. Ac. tly.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Am I the only one whi dislikes stretch goals that just amount to "more and bigger." i have mre games than frankly I will probably be able to play in my lifetime. I have no need fr 100+ hours of content. I'd much rather have that money go to higher QUALITY content.

For example:

- voice acting
- branching narratives
-orchestral soundtract
-co-op
-steamworks mod support
-CG cutscenes
-big screen support mode

Rather than continually adding more content, I'd rather them just enchance the content they already have planned.p with features such as these.

Nah son

The Technomancer

Frankly I think the examples you refer to are more about badly written dialog than they are bad actors. I wont say the latter is never a problem but it is certainly true that when you speak dumb words outloud it makes it a lot more apparent they are dumb.

But if it is good dialog, it deserves to be spoken because dialog is literally written to be spoken. Especially videogames are not a typographic medium. They are visual and aural by nature.

To me it is like saying it would be better to have text that pops up ans says says "Then a gust of wind blew by" rather than actually having the sound of wind in the game.

In some cases it can be. Some of my favorite RPGs use text heavily to create atmosphere because of the severe limitations even high-end games still have in terms of resolution of detail. I don't think a single gust of wind needs to be described perhaps, but a complex action scene might work better as text instead of some small models jerking around.

Eusis

Actually another point with the VA, which makes that call for it kind of funny: it can potentially be directly incompatible with a branching narrative. Just look at Bioware, they go more for fully acted out stuff in their 3 part sci-fi epic, and the actual variation is pathetic compared to KotOR, which cheated out of fully voicing everyone, while Dragon Age 2 stuck you with one Origin due to the switch to full VA there (and both probably could've done more with elves/dwarves if they had their own "language"). The one game that still gets this right is a fairly short game, Alpha Protocol. I'd say leave it to either a few very important characters, or little bits to give flavor to each significant one. Especially since for every major, important scene there'll be a lot of NPCs and relatively minor stories I'd rather just speed through, VAing's also a problem for being FAR slower than reading.

Emitan

In some cases it can be. Some of my favorite RPGs use text heavily to create atmosphere because of the severe limitations even high-end games still have in terms of resolution of detail. I don't think a single gust of wind needs to be described perhaps, but a complex action scene might work better as text instead of some small models jerking around.

falloutw2012-09-1600-5eps3.png

Eusis

Admittedly with good cutscene directing you could probably capture that without text very well.

Too bad that unless you're going for comic-style panels that's not going to happen on a Kickstarter budget. Hell, you'd need a fairly high budget to do it justice.

But then you are basically talking about an interactive or choose your own adventure novel. Not a videogame. I realize there is obviously a blurring of lines there in the origin of RPG genre, though.

I also realize we aren't going to come to agreement because a lot of people want a game that is exactly like the old games they played when they were younger and anything that deviates from that is apocryphal.

I just simply don't agree on the idea of the text heavy philosophy of game design. When I play a lot of older CRPG games and I read that dialog, I often find myself thinking that if someone had to read this shit out loud, then an actor might look up at the producer and give a look like "Are you serious?" that would serve the editing process well. Or that if they actually had to reign themselves in due to budget or time constraints, we would get less badly written drafty prose and lore descriptions that are far more convoluted than they need be and more sharp, vivid prose in its place. Putting that kind of constraint upon writers is a good thing, in my opinion. Somewhere there may very well be mad visionary geniuses who could write reams of text and whose artistic brilliance would be heavily compromised by such a process, but I'm not convinced those people are writing scripts for CRPGs. But again, as I said from the start, I am more concerned with quality than quantity.

Go for the eyes Boo!!!

I cant imagine me Minsc without the voicework.

Yeah, I think BG2 struck a pretty great balance in terms of having voice over to enhance certain key scenes and give the characters some identity that could be carried over into their text only bits, while not needing every single thing voice acted, allowing for just more writing and dialogue and reactivity.

When I play a lot of older CRPG games and I read that dialog, I often find myself thinking that if someone had to read this shit out loud, then an actor might look up at the producer and give a look like "Are you serious?" that would serve the editing process well.

"George, you can type this shit, but you sure as hell can't say it."

250px-harrisonford9gd7f.jpg

The Technomancer

But then you are basically talking about an interactive or choose your own adventure novel. Not a videogame. I realize there is obviously a blurring of lines there in the origin of RPG genre, though.

I also realize we aren't going to come to agreement because a lot of people want a game that is exactly like the old games they played when they were younger and anything that deviates from that is apocryphal.

I just simply don't agree on the idea of the text heavy philosophy of game design. When I play a lot of older CRPG games and I read that dialog, I often find myself thinking that if someone had to read this shit out loud, then an actor might look up at the producer and give a look like "Are you serious?" that would serve the editing process well. Or that if they actually had to reign themselves in due to budget or time constraints, we would get less badly written drafty prose and lore descriptions that are far more convoluted than they need be and more sharp, vivid prose in its place. Putting that kind of constraint upon writers is a good thing, in my opinion. Somewhere there may very well be mad visionary geniuses who could write reams of text and whose artistic brilliance would be heavily compromised by such a process, but I'm not convinced those people are writing scripts for CRPGs. But again, as I said from the start, I am more concerned with quality than quantity.
Well...to a certain extend yes. A lot of us have tasted what "progress" has brought and we don't like it. This is actually an excellent experiment: can a game based on the old design principles be positively received against contemporary titles without nostalgia going for it?

Admittedly with good cutscene directing you could probably capture that without text very well.

Too bad that unless you're going for comic-style panels that's not going to happen on a Kickstarter budget. Hell, you'd need a fairly high budget to do it justice.

Or with well written and well spoken dialog, you could convey that sensation in a way that is far more powerful than merely telling the reader about it. That passage it is the very definition of "telling not showing."

Somewhere there may very well be mad visionary geniuses who could write reams of text and whose artistic brilliance would be heavily compromised by such a process, but I'm not convinced those people are writing scripts for CRPGs.

uh yes actually there are. one of them is called chris avellone, and he's writing this game, hence the reaction to your posts.

Well...to a certain extend yes. A lot of us have tasted what "progress" has brought and we don't like it. This is actually an excellent experiment: can a game based on the old design principles be positively received against contemporary titles without nostalgia going for it?

And I think there is a very nice middle ground that could be reached by staying true to the type of mechanics and art styles that made those games so memorable but updating the production values (including graphics and voice work) to modern standards. And Obsidian is a big enough studio where they could actually do that whereas there are literally dozens of CRPGs now that are following the model you suggest because it's cheaper and easier to do.

DTKT

And I think there is a very nice middle ground that could be reached by staying true to the type of mechanics and art styles that made those games so memorable but updating the production values (including graphics and voice work) to modern standards. And Obsidian is a big enough studio where they could actually do that whereas there are literally dozens of CRPGs now that are following the model you suggest because it's cheaper and easier to do.

What are your "modern" standards? Full voice acting, CG cutscenes?

Vaporak

Am I the only one whi dislikes stretch goals that just amount to "more and bigger." i have mre games than frankly I will probably be able to play in my lifetime. I have no need fr 100+ hours of content. I'd much rather have that money go to higher QUALITY content.

For example:

- voice acting
- branching narratives
-orchestral soundtract
-co-op
-steamworks mod support
-CG cutscenes
-big screen support mode

Rather than continually adding more content, I'd rather them just enchance the content they already have planned.p with features such as these.

Personally I'm appalled that you would want this, and think that this probably isn't the game for you.

sueil

If this game had full voice acting I think I would become suicidal. Tasted progress and didn't like it indeed. RPG's just have never been the same since they switched to being full voiced.

What are your "modern" standards? Full voice acting, CG cutscenes?

Full voice acting would certainly be one, yes. Because I always considered written dialog to just be a result of hardware and budgetary limitations rather than intentional design. Like I said above, it is, afterall, dialog, which by definition is words characters are supposed to be speaking.

As for CG, actually In don't particularly like CG and never have because it creates too much discontinuity. At it's best, it is merely a visual treat but still one that, most of the time, breaks too far from in game visuals to really enhance immersion.

Although I know it isn't feasible with this particular project due to budget limitations, I also think these old games could use some updates in terms of how they handle cameras. I realize the far back view they take is optimal for a lot of strategic battles but there is no reason you need to maintain that view constantly. I think the new X-com games way of handling dynamic camera is a good example of how you can marry that kind of traditional view with occasional more dramatic action shots. And that certainly would be a lot cooler for narrative or dilaog moments if you could actually see character's faces rather than always staring at everything like a bird up in a tree. Again, I realize for this project that kind of thing isn't feasible, but it is an example of how I think the genre could benefit dramatically from updated production values while still capitalizing on what people love about the genre.

what was that website that kept track of kickstarter campaigns, had like graphs of $/hr, pledges/hr over the course of the campaign along with other interesting stats?

I just love how everything EternalGamer wants is window-dressing which doesn't actually improve the gameplay in any way yet he can't understand why people disagree.

If this game had full voice acting I think I would become suicidal. Tasted progress and didn't like it indeed. RPG's just have never been the same since they switched to being full voiced.

Well suicide is always one option. But incase you wanted to ponder the absurdity of your existence a little bit longer you could always just, you know, turn the voice toggle switch to "off" in the options menu.

Emitan

I just love how everything EternalGamer wants is window-dressing which doesn't actually improve the gameplay in any way yet he can't understand why people disagree.

More than that, it means less game for more presentation. If the game's budget was unlimited I wouldn't mind way more VA but if it's a choice of one city getting fully voiced vs a brand new city to quest in throw out the VA!

Top Bottom