• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity by Obsidian Entertainment (Kickstarter) [Up: Teaser]

Grayman

I agree, but look at Planescape Torment.
It's pretty much universally known that if you don't play the game as a mage you miss a lot of content (dialogue choices, mostly) but, as the result of that, your wisdom/intelligence is so high that you always get the answer to every riddle as the first dialogue choice.
Sure, the character is supposed to know that if he's built to be that smart, but what's the point of riddles then?

Stats/skills should give you more choices, not better ones. And not every choice you gain because of a skill should be beneficial in every possible situation.

I hadn't thought about this before but sometimes a speech characters options should be worse because they are talking too much. Every once in awhile a high intelligence/speech path should open up a dialog that goes bad because the person can tell you are trying too hard to run game on them.

For a Charisma version, trying to get a key out of a shop keeps daughter should backfire with the high charisma drop your pants option because someone else has tried it before. The low charisma default option might come off as cute or homely to her instead of pickup artist and it works.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Almost hitting the first stretch goal of 1,4m after 2 days *squee*

I want to see that players house, but I guess thats a given with just 2,4m.

Fularu

Banned
I wonder how many stretches will be reached..At this point a mac version is a given, 2.2 is probably never happening though.

Adnor

Banned
I wonder how many stretches will be reached..At this point a mac version is a given, 2.2 is probably never happening though.

It's normal that after they met the goal the things slow down. That's why they have the stretch goals and why they will post things about the world and all that, to mantain the interest in the game.

If they only release the game on english I hope that the conversations are at least moddable, so fans could translate the game (The IE games have gotten retranslations to spanish because changing the text it's easy)

DA:O is the best big budget old-school isometric RPG from the last I don't know how many years.
That's largely because it was the only big budget old-school isometric RPG from the last five years or so.

Is it an action RPG, yes.

DOTA is a lane pushing game, and frankly is far closer to an RTS than an RPG.

That would surprise me actually. I think it will probably match Wasteland 2, but not much beyond that.

Yeah, I'll be putting my chips on this crossing the three million mark.

batfax

I'd be blown away if this didn't at least make around the same as Wasteland 2. With forthcoming digital tiers and more details about the game I'm sure interest will increase pretty quickly.

wrowa

I would not be surprised if this one broke $5m.

They need to step up their game considerably if they want to reach that number. After a very great start, the pledges dropped off very significantly. They really need to share more details soon if they don't want to lose their momentum so early into the kickstarter -- so far they aren't doing a good job at it, quite frankly. Surprisingly, despite talking about a kickstarter for half a year, they don't seem to have planned very much in advance. Hitting the goal so early has hit them completely unexpected and that shouldn't have happened.

They need to step up their game considerably if they want to reach that number. After a very great start, the pledges dropped off very significantly. They really need to share more details soon if they don't want to lose their momentum so early into the kickstarter -- so far they aren't doing a good job at it, quite frankly. Surprisingly, despite talking about a kickstarter for half a year, they don't seem to have planned very much in advance. Hitting the goal so early has hit them completely unexpected and that shouldn't have happened.

Like some have said, they'll get a spike once they lay out the basic features of the game. The races, factions, plot, etc.

Ceebs

As far as the speech checks and similar stat checks, the game should show you that it would be a speech check, but not give you a goal number like in New Vegas. You should have to intuit your chances for success. Is what you are asking something that would super hard to convince someone of? How gullible or open to suggestion is this character?

Those are the things you should be figuring out for yourself and making your selection knowing that you have X points in the required skill.

In regards to where PE can end up, it Should end up past WL2, but I think they really miscalculated with the stretch goals. They should have had smaller stretch goals, like maybe up to 500k. That way you could drop in new stretch goals when several reached instead of it being all laid out from the start.

Although once we get some more world details, and more details on the new content/races that will help.

Add in mod tools at 2 million. That will get much more traction than a player house I would

WL2 had a higher 3rd day than PE, that might have more to do with what day it fell on

They also had a nice 113k day in the middle and a nice ending 3 day stretch where they got 400k

SR had similar a nice mid KS bump, last 3 days they got about 300k

Grayman

one thing they can do now is start talking about each stretch goal as they approach it. Not sure how spoilery and too early that may be though.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
pretty much, but I'd like to see more games go down that path. regarding people not noticing or trying to game the system, I think the point is that people who enjoy that side of the game would notice, and keeping the exact requirements for things hidden makes it a lot harder to game.

Oh, certainly. People who want to game are always going to hunt for ways to game (admittedly, I do this to some extent after the first playthrough), but having it be too hidden for the average joe risks blurring the line into not really being noticeable. If something cool happens, but you have no idea how it did or how to replicate it, it gets a bit frustrating. But if it's too obvious, we get back to the gaming the system issue.

As far as the speech checks and similar stat checks, the game should show you that it would be a speech check, but not give you a goal number like in New Vegas. You should have to intuit your chances for success. Is what you are asking something that would super hard to convince someone of? How gullible or open to suggestion is this character?

That almost pushes the trend from intuitive to guesswork, or requires an inordinate amount of snooping/legwork/reloading to make sure of, though. That's really tough to judge the "where is the sweet spot" option.

It would be interesting to have an actual speech tree/branching talents, instead of a one-point snags all persuade option, but that's (usually) taking options awayy from the other combat oriented trees. Unless being a diplomat is an option, speech trees are going to remain limited to how they can affect your success, either in knowledge gain, or in combat directly through bonuses against enemies.

Heck, even F:NV's barter/speech perks were pretty poor overall in relation to combat perks, but that's because combat was still the primary focus. Being able to diplomat through the game is interesting, if it's able to work in the plot without losing focus, but I think most people don't play to be able to specifically diplomat through. The average player likes outsmarting the AI, sure, but not at the expense of losing cool explosions or new techniques.

Back to the actual Kickstarter, I really think they need a lot more info from Sawyer Monday on the game systems, some mockups, something.

Similarly, more companions are cool for replaying/alternate playstyles, but I think people who haven't donated yet will need something that stands out more to kick things back into gear.

You know what would actually be really rad?

If story was related to stretch goals. So, they unlocked more of the outline as we hit stretch goals.

Corto

Wasteland 2 great mid campaign peak was when Brian unveiled Avellone's contribution to their project. I wonder if Obsidian also has a "surprise guest contributor" up their sleeves... and who could that be.

Emitan

Wasteland 2 great mid campaign peak was when Brian unveiled Avellone's contribution to their project. I wonder if Obsidian also has a "surprise guest contributor" up their sleeves... and who could that be.

DoubleAvellone. A clone that's twice as good at writing as he is.

I'm having a hard time even coming up with a name that would get people excited.

Shadowrun's big ticket was the announcement of a 2nd location.

Really would like a stretch goal graphic, it would take the art guys what 10 minutes to put together

Perkel

Banned

Mark Morgan as creator of music. He already is working for inXile on Wasteland 2 so it isn't impossible

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Maybe Guido Henkel? That would be cool. People would go all "huh?" though lol Hes too busy working in the movie industry though iirc.

This happened so fast for Obsidian, and over a weekend, that it seems like they were caught unaware by it. This is actually the most shocking thing about the KS, because it seemed like from every corner of the internet, people were clamoring for this very thing. Then when it actually funds itself at light speed, they seemed to have been genuinely shocked (and not at all ready).

I think this week could go a long way towards making that number creep towards 2 mil by keeping in constant communication with backers (and not just on an insular forum) and by trickling little bits of information about the worldbuilding, lore, ideas, more character sketches, designs, etc.

Zeliard

They could get a good boost with gameplay-related stretch goals, but it'd have to be a target they may actually not be able to reach - something that makes people go "well shit we may not actually get this unless it hits the target amount."

And they would have to start releasing more information on the game's storyline and gameplay mechanics so that people know what they'd actually be getting, instead of nebulous "more races! a new faction!" stuff. If it's effective enough it could attract both fence-sitters to get in on it, and current pledgers to up their amounts.

If the current stretch goals aren't lighting the world on fire, it's not only because we have no real context for them, but also that most people probably fully expect it to inevitably reach $2.2 million. The stretch goals are not only hazy for the most part, but they don't offer any true motivation as goals that risk not being met.

I'm surprised that the info and stretch goals released so far have been so vague. There's something to be said for drip-feeding info over the course of a Kickstarter drive, but when you're releasing stretch goals, you should offer up at least a bit of context as to what they'd actually entail.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
They could get a good boost with gameplay-related stretch goals, but it'd have to be a target they may actually not be able to reach - something that makes people go "well shit we may not actually get this unless it hits the target amount."

And they would have to start releasing more information on the game's storyline and gameplay mechanics so that people know what they'd actually be getting, instead of nebulous "more races! a new faction!" stuff. If it's effective enough it could attract both fence-sitters to get in on it, and current pledgers to up their amounts.

If the current stretch goals aren't lighting the world on fire, it's not only because we have no real context for them, but also that most people probably fully expect it to inevitably reach $2.2 million. The stretch goals are not only hazy for the most part, but they don't offer any true motivation as goals that risk not being met.

I'm surprised that the info and stretch goals released so far have been so vague. There's something to be said for drip-feeding info over the course of a Kickstarter drive, but when you're releasing stretch goals, you should offer up at least a bit of context as to what they'd actually entail.
I think Obsidian is still in shock and it is a Sunday. I fully expect an update with some serious info on Monday

Even though a few years down the road seems forever, time is going to fly.
Next thing we know we are going to be playing this game.

I feel happy to be in this era, and it seems like PC gaming is going back to its roots.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Even though a few years down the road seems forever, time is going to fly.
Next thing we know we are going to be playing this game.

I feel happy to be in this era, and it seems like PC gaming is going back to its roots.

And we have the rise of DD to thank for it.

Top Bottom