• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity by Obsidian Entertainment (Kickstarter) [Up: Teaser]

DiscoJer

It's probably not realistic, but I would love to see an optional turn based combat mode, like in Temple of Elemental Evil, as a stretch goal

I own all the Infinity Engine games, but I have yet to actually play them more than a few hours, because I just can't hack the combat. (So why did I buy them? I originally just bought PS:T years ago, played to disc 2 and couldn't play it anymore, but thanks to the sales at GoG, bought all the other ones to give another try. But that try didn't work out very well. Ditto for games like Drakensang and A Farewell to Dragons, also real time party based RPGs that I got on sale)

I pledged anyway (apparently I can't help myself), but I know as is, with real time combat, I'm never actually going to play it more than an hour.

Lancehead

It's probably not realistic, but I would love to see an optional turn based combat mode, like in Temple of Elemental Evil, as a stretch goal

That would be a bad idea. The problems with IE's combat originate from the fact that it's deriving from a ruleset designed for turn based combat and applying for real time combat. Here Obsidian is designing the ruelset for real-time-pause combat. So introducing turn based mode would probably introduce a similar set of problems as IE's combat had. Feargus talked about this.

Feargus said:
As for disadvantages – that’s a tough one to answer. I think there is some feeling that taking some RPG systems that are designed as turn based and putting them into a real-time with pause system losses something in the translation. A lot of that has to do with timing and the fact that things don’t happen simultaneously in those systems. Pure turn based does let combat play out in a more like chess like way – which can definitely be fun. However, since we are designing Project Eternity from the start to use a real-time with pause system, we can avoid some of the translation issues that can happen when taking a table top game into that arena.

Durante

I own all the Infinity Engine games, but I have yet to actually play them more than a few hours, because I just can't hack the combat. (So why did I buy them? I originally just bought PS:T years ago, played to disc 2 and couldn't play it anymore, but thanks to the sales at GoG, bought all the other ones to give another try. But that try didn't work out very well. Ditto for games like Drakensang and A Farewell to Dragons, also real time party based RPGs that I got on sale)

I pledged anyway (apparently I can't help myself), but I know as is, with real time combat, I'm never actually going to play it more than an hour.
Can't you just set the games to pause once per turn?

I don't want them making this look like Dragon Age, just stick to the Baldur's Gate look but in higher res. I'm very interested in this either way though.

Minsc

Gold Member
DiscoJer said:

I own all the Infinity Engine games, but I have yet to actually play them more than a few hours, because I just can't hack the combat.

For the earlier levels all you need enabled is pause on enemy sight and pause on target killed. And the space bar (pauses when you push it). The initial pause on enemy sight lets you not lose any time to setting up tactics when an enemy is spotted, same for target killed, as no time is wasted between assigning tactics for new targets. Then just manage the rest yourself with space bar, it's perfectly feasible. The action flows nicely and stops when necessary. For most of the earlier games all you need is a party full of ranged weapons, and many fights won't last more than a few seconds (really, try this, it works, just be sure to give everyone a single entry in a ranged proficiency if you can). For the higher level fights you need more options enabled or more reliance on space bar, but the games would gain nothing but tedium from a turn based mode until like beyond level 20 imo. If you played BG1 and IWD first with those two options on and a fulled ranged weapon layout (switch to melee on a fighter or two though if charged), you'd probably be comfortable enough to get through the sequels (remember to turn off party AI too! This is very important, so people are acting against your orders). This is no excuse for skipping Tormet though! :)

Taruranto

I don't get some of the anger on J.E.'s formspring about player housing. Seems like a neat little addition. And how the game could turn into a "Larp-fest' because of it. Never heard that term before...

It's because it feels like an useless gimmick, something someone like Bethesda would think about.

Personally, it's Obsidian we are talking about, so i'm not worried, i trust them at 120%.

mclem

I just hope they don't feel like April 2014 is a proper deadline. The amout of pressure is overwhelming - it's the best chance they've ever had to show how writing in RPGs should be and prove once and for all that they are very capable developers. It's their first original IP, their first project with complete creative freedom, and their first game with no publisher to ruin the original vision.
It shall also send strong messages across the industry about handling mature themes, relationships and morality.

There's absolutely no room for anything less than amazing in such aspects, yet how they handle time, money and feedback could make everything go south.
I love Obsidian's work and overall vision about games, but this might be too much too fast, and something as "little" as a console port will probably kill the game.

All in all, I just hope the game is delayed if it's necessary, and that they stick to their guts, even if it gets 3 or 4 times the original goal.

In this sort of setup, really, the deadline is pretty much defined as 'when the money runs out'. You can't delay a game until 'it's done' if you can't pay people. If I were them, I'd mentally be marking out maybe half-a-million or so as contingency money in case they do feel it needs just a little more work. How big's Obsidian, anyway? Based on what *I* was paid back in the day (plus the adage that it costs about double someone's salary to employ a person), I think you'd be looking at about $8k per person per month; $500k would cover 62 person/months on that benchmark.

Sharp

I can't believe I missed that kickstart.
Judging from the number of posts I've seen like this, I have the feeling if it's at all good PA is going to be very commercially successful.

As for those of you complaining about what you're seeing--judging from some of the stuff Josh Sawyer posted on SA, they do have a lot of quite detailed information about the game world. I have no idea why they're not putting that stuff on the Kickstarter page, though.

Durante

Judging from the number of posts I've seen like this, I have the feeling if it's at all good PA is going to be very commercially successful.

As for those of you complaining about what you're seeing--judging from some of the stuff Josh Sawyer posted on SA, they do have a lot of quite detailed information about the game world. I have no idea why they're not putting that stuff on the Kickstarter page, though.
I guess they want to trickle the information out, to make people return to the kickstarter (and keep the media reporting on it).

I really liked Temple of Elemental Evil but I could not get over the spirit meter when it was introduced. It just killed the combat for me which is a shame because its kept me from enjoying the rest of the game

TrutaS

The stretch goals are a bit lame since we don't even know how many races there are already planned. if it's like 6 I don't need much more. If it's 3 then okay, there is room for growth..

They did not anticipate this success that much is clear, they are probably working hard right now to catch up, hope they update soon.

Sharp

The stretch goals are a bit lame since we don't even know how many races there are already planned. if it's like 6 I don't need much more. If it's 3 then okay, there is room for growth..

They did not anticipate this success that much is clear, they are probably working hard right now to catch up, hope they update soon.
The original was three races:
The Kickstarter page said:
Base game includes three races, five classes, and five companions. We have ideas for these, but we want to hear your opinions on what you'd like to see. Stay tuned to Kickstarter, our website, and our forums to join in on the conversation.

Now that I think about it, maybe it does make sense for them not to put any important information on that page :p

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

I missed it too but the description of the base goal includes how many races and classes there are.
Base game includes three races, five classes, and five companions.

sueil

Hopefully we will get some really interesting classes and races. More than just simple elf/dwarf. If elves are in the game I hope they aren't a playable race. Classes have the chance to do something unique and fun. Even if you have fighter/rogue/mage that still leaves 4 slots for something off the wall. 8 Companions is plenty. I would much rather have really well done companions that are completely fleshed out than a bunch of generics.

Hopefully we will get some really interesting classes and races. More than just simple elf/dwarf. If elves are in the game I hope they aren't a playable race. Classes have the chance to do something unique and fun. Even if you have fighter/rogue/mage that still leaves 4 slots for something off the wall. 8 Companions is plenty. I would much rather have really well done companions that are completely fleshed out than a bunch of generics.

Agreed. With a new ip I hope the races are more alien in nature compared to elf/dwarf. PS:T had great varied racesp

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
This is Obsidian, fellas - have a little faith in races being awesome.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I'll be very dissapointed if the races are human, elf, dwarf, etc. Hopefully they get more creative.

It's high fantasy, so you kind of have to expect some tropes.

The important thing is that even if they are run of the mill races, they'll be handled interestingly and written excellently. The team behind it has given me an unbelievable amount of confidence in it considering how they've treated 'standard' races like that in the past.

HoosTrax

Looking at the concept world map, there's an area called "Lake of Drow Tombs" in the bottom right, so I kind of assumed there will elves in this game.

Looking at the concept world map, there's an area called "Lake of Drow Tombs" in the bottom right, so I kind of assumed there will elves in this game.

I was thinking that just got cut off and is probably called something like "lake of Drowned Tombs" or something like that.

I don't think they'd straight up lift the Drow name for their new IP when thats tied to D&D so much.

xenist

Why no orcs and elves and dwarves? Because many stories have been about them? Humans have even more stories made about them. Should we exclude humans too?

The established races and settings are only bad when they are used as a crutch.

kswiston

It seems like whoever programmed the trending stuff in Kicktraq simply has it set up to take the average funding per day and extrapolate that over the length of the Kickstarter to get their "trending towards" number. Pretty useless. We have had enough completed video game kickstarters by this point that you could analyze funding trends over time and use that to establish more accurate estimations. As it is currently set up, Kicktraq's "trending towards" total will just drop ever day and then rebound towards the end, never really being accurate until the last few hours.

epmode

True.

On the other hand, I really liked how Torment went out of its way to subvert genre conventions at every turn. NO ELVES, NO DWARVES, NO SWORDS, RATS ARE STRONG, etc. And then there are Avellone's comments about how he wants to make another Torment-style game with a non-traditional setting. I doubt this is the one.

HoosTrax

Why no orcs and elves and dwarves? Because many stories have been about them? Humans have even more stories made about them. Should we exclude humans too?

Too often, it leads to generic character designs, like "drunken dwarven berserker with Scottish accent" (sorry Oghren) and "haughty aloof elven mage or rogue".

Not always though. I remember a certain halfling paladin (or paladin wannabe).

Derrick01

Banned

I'm pretty worn out of the fantasy characters since they're always the same. Humans are a bit different since we can relate to them better but I wouldn't care if they were gone too. I'm just tired of every fantasy game being the same.

scy

God bless Kickstarter, 1.4M in three days?

@Races - Honestly? I don't care. Same ol' same ol', yes, but I guess I'm more interested in what gets done with the races rather than what races are available.

I guess it'd be nice to avoid the holy trinity of fantasy races but, eh ...

HoosTrax

I'm pretty worn out of the fantasy characters since they're always the same. Humans are a bit different since we can relate to them better but I wouldn't care if they were gone too. I'm just tired of every fantasy game being the same.

The prologues are just as stale as the character design formulas.

a) Young adult coming of age (moreso for JRPGs)
b) Anonymous nobody finding out that they're preordained by destiny to save the world (the chosen one trope)
c) Your happy little world gets turned upside down and off you go to fight the grand poobah
d) Some combination of a, b, and c

Lancehead

Why the apprehension towards elves or dwarves etc? Sawyer posted his blog just to address such concerns and yet we have those concerns.

Top Bottom