• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity by Obsidian Entertainment (Kickstarter) [Up: Teaser]

Sullen

Even though a few years down the road seems forever, time is going to fly.
Next thing we know we are going to be playing this game.

I feel happy to be in this era, and it seems like PC gaming is going back to its roots.

It really is. Kickstarter, and even traditional products are going back to PC roots, like Xcom. This is a good time to be a PC gamer again. I'm excited about it, for the first time in a very long time.

Grayman

I feel happy to be in this era, and it seems like PC gaming is going back to its roots.

getting away from the retail model with digital sales and microdevs finding a way to market again has been huge for PC gaming.

Backlog sales started getting a lot of traction during this time as well. The fact that so few games are "out of print" now has gamers buying the classic games and wanting more.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
We NEED this step back; people lauding the story in Mass Effect should be aware of Planescape: Torment, and people in awe of the freedom of Skyrim should've known that Ultima VII did it all and much more so many years ago. Without any regards to
Man, why would anyone want to play a terrible Zelda clone?

I had more console-orientated friends who despised the series, and it wasn't until they told me about the SNES port of VII that I understood why.

volturnus

Banned

I just hope they don't feel like April 2014 is a proper deadline. The amout of pressure is overwhelming - it's the best chance they've ever had to show how writing in RPGs should be and prove once and for all that they are very capable developers. It's their first original IP, their first project with complete creative freedom, and their first game with no publisher to ruin the original vision.
It shall also send strong messages across the industry about handling mature themes, relationships and morality.

There's absolutely no room for anything less than amazing in such aspects, yet how they handle time, money and feedback could make everything go south.
I love Obsidian's work and overall vision about games, but this might be too much too fast, and something as "little" as a console port will probably kill the game.

All in all, I just hope the game is delayed if it's necessary, and that they stick to their guts, even if it gets 3 or 4 times the original goal.

People seem to think that running a Kickstarter campaign is not work.

It's a goddamn political campaign, and to treat it as anything less is foolish.

DocSeuss

It really is. Kickstarter, and even traditional products are going back to PC roots, like Xcom. This is a good time to be a PC gamer again. I'm excited about it, for the first time in a very long time.

Some time ago, I told someone that I was excited for the future of gaming. Since we commonly bitched about how dumbed-down games were, and longed for the days of smarter games, he got very upset at me. Honestly, I've been watching the renaissance of smart games for a while, and I always knew that it was closely tied with the renaissance of PC gaming.

If he hadn't blocked me after he asked me why I didn't like Half-Life 2, I'd really like to tell him "I told you so."

What's with him? He's not remotely as good as any of Obsidian's writers.

He can be an apprentice!

Annnnnnd, 1.4 Million reached!

1.4 million, New Playable Race, Class, and Companion!
Expands your options for character creation and adds a companion of the new class.

zkylon

zkylewd
With the current trend this could easily get into the two millions territory right before it ends.
2.2 is pretty much a given, with how most Kickstarters end up, making pretty much the same on the last two days as in the first two. 3 mil would be all kinds of awesome, and seems achievable if Wasteland 2 did it, but 4 I think may be too much to hope for.

Still, the idea of actually doing my small part in allowing Obsidian to have their own IP, that will hopefully give them some kind of financial stability so they can continue to amaze me with their creativity is a dream come true. Couldn't be happier.

Effortless?

I had my browser open all day, dying in anticipation!
Plus a whole bunch of people spent a collective 300 thousand dollars so effortless might've been the wrong word lol

Fjordson

I don't get some of the anger on J.E.'s formspring about player housing. Seems like a neat little addition. And how the game could turn into a "Larp-fest' because of it. Never heard that term before...

With the current trend this could easily get into the two millions territory right before it ends.

Right before the week ends, right? Cause they'll EASILY make 2 million long before the Kickstarter end. I'm expecting ~$3.5 million, so $500k more than Wasteland 2 and $100k more than Double Fine Adventure. I'd love for it to get to $4 million though.

Herla

I don't get some of the anger on J.E.'s formspring about player housing. Seems like a neat little addition. And how the game could turn into a "Larp-fest' because of it. Never heard that term before...

The thing is, houses are just a "gimmick". People want a stronghold, NWN2 style, with upgrades and story elements...hopefully we'll get one as soon as we reach the new stretch goals.

Lancehead

Obsidian never seemed like a group good at pitching games, and it kinda shows with this kickstarter. They're great to listen to when they talk about anything-RPG but they could use some help with the presentation of their projects.

Having said that I'd be disappointed if this doesn't make it to $5m donations.

inm8num2

Very lazy presentation of the stretch goals. Could say the same for the project as a whole.

They're showing so little and riding the reputation of the big three names on the project. Just look at the kickstarter page - a huge image with box art from previous games. Nothing for the upcoming game. No concept art. Just a laughably generic map.

"Hey look at the games we made in the past. Now give us money. Oh, here's a random map we threw together that is no different than almost every other map in an RPG ever."

Of all the things they could show to give an identity to Project Eternity, they choose a map that could basically be from any other RPG? Great marketing decision. And the update video was pathetic.

If these guys didn't have the resumes they do have, people would be very suspicious and distrusting due to the lack of actual information and lazy, uninspired "stretch goals".

On paper it fits the definition of 'bait and switch'. And it's worked, judging by the pledges so far.

I think that whether it's more appropriate for your character to have a house or a castle really comes down to the nature of the setting, and your character's place within that setting. We don't know enough about either of those to even speculate, but the fact that the stretch goal is for a house does imply a few things.

Codex talk for fooling around with stuff that isn't supported by "real" game mechanics. Like eating food and putting out tents etc. before sleeping in TES games.

kids these days. back in my day we just called that straight up roleplaying and goddamnit we liked it that way.

I think that whether it's more appropriate for your character to have a house or a castle really comes down to the nature of the setting, and your character's place within that setting. We don't know enough about either of those to even speculate, but the fact that the stretch goal is for a house does imply a few things.

One of the comments on the Kickstarter is just a laundry list of random-ass shit that has nothing to do with anything else on the list.

Being able to drive a species to extinction.

Lancehead

On paper it fits the definition of 'bait and switch'. And it's worked, judging by the pledges so far.

Only it seems we'll probably get a vastly better product than what's being advertised. I'll take that bait and switch, thank you.

kids these days. back in my day we just called that straight up roleplaying and goddamnit we liked it that way.

These days roleplaying means filling bars.

Fjordson

Codex talk for fooling around with stuff that isn't supported by "real" game mechanics. Like eating food and putting out tents etc. before sleeping in TES games.
Oh, okay. Not at all surprised. Business as usual for them to be bitching about something.

Top Bottom