• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity by Obsidian Entertainment (Kickstarter) [Up: Teaser]

Hargenx

DA:O is the best big budget old-school isometric RPG from the last I don't know how many years.

The gameplay and graphics were superb.

It was a monumental achievement and must be recognized as such for RPG gaming to prosper.

I agree, but is sad when you look back and remember that all this give us DA2, what the hell?!

Nibel

DA:O is the best big budget old-school isometric RPG from the last I don't know how many years.

It was a monumental achievement and must be recognized as such for RPG gaming to prosper.

iw4f2vhsAzOfz.gif

It was challenging, it was unique and I loved every bit of it. The second one is garbage, but Origins rocks from start to ending.

Shame that BioWare won't make anything like it anytime soon.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
DA:O had some big problems but at it held great promise for refinement. Although it didnt light my world on fire i have no regrets with the game. The biggest issues i can remember atm are the lack of enemy/combat variety and lack of skill use outside of combat (magic in AD&D used in the world also vs DA:Os magic as a weapon only).
I think they said it explicitly but I really really hope Eternity does some fun stuff with this.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Is it an action RPG, yes.

That's stretching the definition way to far to suit a purpose. It's simply not an RPG by any definition. I'm not long for a "well, technically it's a MMORPGFPSQTEWWF" type discussion, but DOTA is simply not an RPG - it's a competitive multiplayer game, something that the type of CRPG we're even discussing here have never been.

Taruranto

Nope.jpg

It's a shitty ass LotR clone with a boring story and setting and a crappy Battle System with shitons of trash mobs.

MotB is the best old-school isometric RPG of the last years, and it isn't up to debate.

HoosTrax

MotB is the best old-school isometric RPG of the last years, and it isn't up to debate.
It's interesting that people only mention MotB when it comes to praising NWN2. Maybe people were too put off by the blandness of the vanilla game to bother with the expansion?

It's interesting that people only mention MotB when it comes to praising NWN2. Maybe people were too put off by the blandness of the vanilla game to bother with the expansion?

The first 30 hours of NNW2 felt like a chore, but it suddenly became great in the last hour of the first act. I have not gotten MotB yet to .

edit: damn it, I was sure someone would post fast enough.

HoosTrax

The first 30 hours of NNW2 felt like a chore, but it suddenly became great in the last hour of the first act. I have not gotten MotB yet to .

edit: damn it, I was sure someone would post fast enough.
I also sort of feel like one of the flaws with NWN (both games), is that it's stuck in that limbo between 2D pre-rendered graphics that aren't beholden to polygon and texture resolution limitations, and modern 3D that looks great scaled down to isometric.

Lancehead

What's with the hate on DA:O now? The game is outstanding.

My main problem with DAO was the class system. It was a mess with embarrassingly low build variety. Only the mage class had some variety. The cheesy writing (plot, romances etc) was always expected from BioWare.

HoosTrax

My main problem with DAO was the class system. It was a mess with embarrassingly low build variety. Only the mage class had some variety. The cheesy writing (plot, romances etc) was always expected from BioWare.
One thing that always amused me about the Dragon Age class system was clerics. They are completely powerless, and the real "clerics" as we think of them are actually spirit healer mages.

Almighty

This is probably out of nowhere, but I just remembered a Chris Avellone interview I read a year or so ago that I found very interesting at the time. He talks about some very interesting ideas that I hope Obsidian uses now. Like 'Honeycomb" mission design and dialog without speech checks.

Ceebs

Lets not forget that it seemed like it was balanced by a blind monkey, or the fact that once you hit about lvl 7 or so you can pretty much go through the same motions of abilities over and over and walk through the game.

Almost nothing in the game required you to break out of your routine.

Derrick01

Banned
All this talk about MotB makes me want to finally get to it. I don't believe I ever did since I just played NWN2 back in the day. I do have the complete version on steam though.

WanderingWind

DA:O's greatest strength was the promise of what was to come out of future, less challenged development cycles. I mean, a return to classic RPGs? Sure, it was a 3 class game, with few skills and none that mattered outside of combat. Okay, so the enemy variety was nonexistant. But hell, that's minor shit they can fix in a sequel.

lol

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
All this talk about MotB makes me want to finally get to it. I don't believe I ever did since I just played NWN2 back in the day. I do have the complete version on steam though.

Do it now.

edit:
DA:O's greatest strength was the promise of what was to come out of future, less challenged development cycles. I mean, a return to classic RPGs? Sure, it was a 3 class game, with few skills and none that mattered outside of combat. Okay, so the enemy variety was nonexistant. But hell, that's minor shit they can fix in a sequel.

lol

As someone who greatly enjoyed DA:O and was interested in the sequel before the reveal, its hard to argue this lol

HoosTrax

DAO didn't have a cleric class, it has Warrior, Rogue, and Mage.
I meant "clerics", as in members of the chantry. Priestesses etc. In the D&D world, they would get powers bestowed upon them similar to mage spells. Whereas in DA, they're stuck praying to the Maker with no special abilities to show for it.

Sotha Sil

I started yesterday. Grit your teeth, learn to control a lvl 18 character right off the bat, and get through the boring first hour. Try not to mind the horrible UI. Endure.

(It's pretty great so far.)

Dresden

That joke never gets old.

"I know this huge army of zombies is an immediate threat, so you better take those really old contracts, visit these areas that have nothing to do with the main story, solve their stupid problems and hope that they recognize those old pieces of paper. But hey, at least you get to listen to okay banter. That's....something, right ?"

I really, really hate the structure of the game. Whatever happened to having a plot ?

It's a . . . Bioware game. Remember when Irenicus ripped out the player's soul and ran away cackling? And then you spent days upon days just adventuring helping out random folks in Chapter 2? The justification for doing so was flimsy and after an early milestone, you could ignore it completely. Sometimes, it's fine being a videogame.

Grayman

speaking of MotB what is a good class for a complete dnd newbie to enjoy the story? After so many games I think I am never going to understand this rule system enough to build something on my own that works.

Sotha Sil

speaking of MotB what is a good class for a complete dnd newbie to enjoy the story? After so many games I think I am never going to understand this rule system enough to build something on my own that works.

Warrior. Play the game in easy mode, and let the casters do their stuff. Just remember to cast a powerful dispel magic thingy on mages and you should be fine, at first. (Or learn to master the mechanics, but that will take some getting used to)

WanderingWind

It's a . . . Bioware game. Remember when Irenicus ripped out the player's soul and ran away cackling? And then you spent days upon days just adventuring helping out random folks in Chapter 2? The justification for doing so was flimsy and after an early milestone, you could ignore it completely. Sometimes, it's fine being a videogame.

Yeah, I'm still looking for a game that doesn't do the same. Every CRPG does the same stuff (even Avernum, which at least gives you a reason to be doing sidequests) every JRPG does it (Meteor coming to wipe out humanity? You killed my main squeeze ? I will wreck upon you terrible, final vengeance! Right after I play snowboarding video games!)

It's how games tend to work.

Sotha Sil

Yeah, I'm still looking for a game that doesn't do the same. Every CRPG does the same stuff (even Avernum, which at least gives you a reason to be doing sidequests) every JRPG does it (Meteor coming to wipe out humanity? You killed my main squeeze ? I will wreck upon you terrible, final vengeance! Right after I play snowboarding video games!)

Yeah, that's why New Vegas was refreshing. "Someone nearly killed you, now do your stuff. No pressure."

New Page Update: $1,326,648!

Almighty

lol

Man I was so hyped for DA:O. It was supposed to be the herald of the return of old school rpgs. A counter to the push to more streamlined action oriented RPGs. Sadly EA/Bioware managed to destory all that with DA2.

Now like you said time is not going to be kind to DA:O not kind at all.

I started yesterday. Grit your teeth, learn to control a lvl 18 character right off the bat, and get through the boring first hour. Try not to mind the horrible UI. Endure.

(It's pretty great so far.)

Yeah I started it yesterday as well. Damn though does that game have some major obstacles at the start like you mentioned before you can get into it. It doesn't help for me that I was also in the middle of another FNV play though(finally managed to get all the DLC recently).

I will force myself to at least put in a few hours this week. Hopefully I will get to a point where it clicks.

Edit.

Looks like a the $20 slots are taken now. That was faster then i was think when this first started.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

Yeah, I think it works better in games like Avernum where there isn't anything going on in the plot that carries an immediate sense of time-pressure. This limits the kinds of stories you can tell though

Llyranor

I'd love a reactive world where events progress even when you're off doing unrelated exploration or sidequests. It's great that you went into those catacombs and found a neat sword, but the bad guy killed the lord you were supposed to warn about a pending assassination plot.

Say you're chasing some character relevant to the main plot. As you're pursuing him, there's a burning building nearby, and you hear some kids inside or whatever. You could chase down the other character, get the info you needed and continue on your quest. Or, you can go help those kids, but then the other character escapes, and you end up in a dead end and have to find out other ways to investigate whatever the main plot is. Being a 'good guy' ends up being more hurtful to the player - you don't get any awesome loot, or anything. Instead you just made your quest a lot harder. That's what deciding to be 'good' should be, not being artificially rewarded by the game.

Lancehead

This is probably out of nowhere, but I just remembered a Chris Avellone interview I read a year or so ago that I found very interesting at the time. He talks about some very interesting ideas that I hope Obsidian uses now. Like 'Honeycomb" mission design and dialog without speech checks.

Good interview. Amazing that it took 11 years for dialogue to evolve from Torment to Alpha Protocol.

HoosTrax

Yeah, I think it works better in games like Avernum where there isn't anything going on in the plot that carries an immediate sense of time-pressure. This limits the kinds of stories you can tell though
And then Exile 3 happened. God I hated that. I would use the editor program to keep dialing back time to prevent world decay.

adixon

hehe, I just upped from 20 to 35, and now my one slot at the 20$ tier is sitting there, waiting to be taken.

edit: and.. taken.

Grayman

speech checks going away or at least hiding the [speech 76%] flag could make conversations a lot more interesting. Like said it highlights that option as a win button. Alpha Protocol had a great system of reading the other character. That type of script may not translate to the older model of RPG as well though because it usually had very long conversations with several short dialog choices while older games have the silent protagonist and the talking head speaking paragraphs at a time in fewer speech nodes.

Does anyone support random chances in spoken dialog or is that one done for good?

patapuf

speech checks going away or at least hiding the [speech 76%] flag could make conversations a lot more interesting. Like said it highlights that option as a win button. Alpha Protocol had a great system of reading the other character. That type of script may not translate to the older model of RPG as well though because it usually had very long conversations with several short dialog choices while older games have the silent protagonist and the talking head speaking paragraphs at a time in fewer speech nodes.

Does anyone support random chances in spoken dialog or is that one done for good?

I like conversation as a puzzle, even if that requires quality writing/design to be good. While i know a lot of RPG fans like stats i'm not a big fan of them for conversations.

What i like least is random chance. That just means a lot of reloads. It works in PnP but i don't think it translates well into games.

Almighty

Well if anyone can pull it off it would be Avellone and the others at Obsidian.

As for random chance I hope it is a thing of the past. Something that was just a hold over from pen and paper. Mostly because I would end up save scumming in those system till I got a successful roll.(I am weak like that) I prefer FNV system where either you had enough for you didn't. That would actually force me to find another path.

In a perfect world they would do what Avellone talked about in that interview and make it so you actually had to do some work to pull off the diplomatic route. As someone who plays usually as "sniper diplomat"(or equivalent) I think it would really help make the game better.

Top Bottom