• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity by Obsidian Entertainment (Kickstarter) [Up: Teaser]

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I'd really prefer avoiding tolkienesque fantasy tropes. The genre in book form has moved on to strong worldbuilding of original settings in the last 20 years, and Obsidian has the writing talent to follow suit (Bioware did not, despite their claims and namedropping during DAO's development).

Torment and Mask of the Betrayer should be the strongest influences in tone.

Raxus

The prologues are just as stale as the character design formulas.

trope list

There is also an obsession with having the hero start out in prison. Dark Souls, Skyrim, and Oblivion all did this.

I think if is an Obsidian game than if they follow the Fallout formula it would be good since in both you are just some schlub who gets caught up in something much much bigger.

The prologues are just as stale as the character design formulas.

a) Young adult coming of age (moreso for JRPGs)
b) Anonymous nobody finding out that they're preordained by destiny to save the world (the chosen one trope)
c) Your happy little world gets turned upside down and off you go to fight the grand poobah
d) Some combination of a, b, and c

Pick your own prologue (to a degree), and just have it not really matter that much in the end.

It kinda falls under c), but eh, what can you do?

RJT

Do we have confirmation if the exploration part of the game is more like BG1 than BG2? That's something I miss from the otherwise superior sequel.

dude

dude
Do we have confirmation if the exploration part of the game is more like BG1 than BG2? That's something I miss from the otherwise superior sequel.

Huh? The traveling in BG1 was really cumbersome and annoying. I much prefer the BG2 method.

Also, I expected an update for breaking the first strech goal and to get things rolling a bit faster?

I funded but I'm sort of worried by the idea that game developers are selling ideas for $200,000. Like "give us $200,000 and we promise to make houses for you!"

Emitan

I funded but I'm sort of worried by the idea that game developers are selling ideas for $200,000. Like "give us $200,000 and we promise to make houses for you!"

They have to design the game around their current budget. If they get more money they can include more things.

Dresden

In BG1, most of the map was available to you as soon as you left Candlekeep. BG2 was on rails by comparison.

You got a big chunk of the game opened up to you at chapter 2, don't see the problem here. Still linear after that, but it all worked well.

pmj

You got a big chunk of the game opened up to you at chapter 2, don't see the problem here. Still linear after that, but it all worked well.

I'm not saying it's necessarily a problem to be more directed, but I liked how I could decide to go on a random adventure in BG1 by walking in one direction and see what I found. That type of exploration was something I felt was missing in the sequel.

If you stuck to the main quest, you probably wouldn't set foot in half the overworld maps that BG1 had.

Midou

Donated $35 to get OST too, they tend to do pretty awesome ones. This is only project I donated more than $15 to since double fine, and it makes my 6th project. I am super excited for this.

inm8num2

Very lazy presentation of the stretch goals. Could say the same for the project as a whole.

They're showing so little and riding the reputation of the big three names on the project. Just look at the kickstarter page - a huge image with box art from previous games. Nothing for the upcoming game. No concept art. Just a laughably generic map.

"Hey look at the games we made in the past. Now give us money. Oh, here's a random map we threw together that is no different than almost every other map in an RPG ever."

Of all the things they could show to give an identity to Project Eternity, they choose a map that could basically be from any other RPG? Great marketing decision. And the update video was pathetic.

If these guys didn't have the resumes they do have, people would be very suspicious and distrusting due to the lack of actual information and lazy, uninspired "stretch goals".

On paper it fits the definition of 'bait and switch'. And it's worked, judging by the pledges so far.

Only it seems we'll probably get a vastly better product than what's being advertised. I'll take that bait and switch, thank you.

LOL just proved my point, thank you.

And you have zero proof that you're getting "a vastly better product than what's being advertised." You may have reason to belief, but you have no proof.

xenist

And you have zero proof that you're getting "a vastly better product than what's being advertised." You may have reason to belief, but you have no proof.

Bait and switch?

Yes, one of the best RPG developers is using some of the most respected RPG makers in order to swindle the gullible out of a couple of millions. I guess Feargus Urquhart is planning on hightailing it to a non expedition country with the money stuffed in a suitcase.

You are the most clever person in the universe.

RJT

I'm not saying it's necessarily a problem to be more directed, but I liked how I could decide to go on a random adventure in BG1 by walking in one direction and see what I found. That type of exploration was something I felt was missing in the sequel.

If you stuck to the main quest, you probably wouldn't set foot in half the overworld maps that BG1 had.

That's exactly it. BG2 is still the better game, but I miss stumbling into something big.

Lancehead

LOL just proved my point, thank you.

How did I prove your point when I didn't even refute you post? To you it's a bait and switch because you think they're using their reputation to put forward a weak concept. To me it'd be a "bait and switch" (note: it was used in an ironic sense if you didn't observe) because I'll probably get a much better product than what's being showed so far.

Not sure why you're asking for proofs when I didn't claim there was actually a bait and switch.

Durante

I agree. It's the one part of the game were BG1 clearly outdid its sequel. I hope there is some exploration in Eternity as well.

Perkel

Banned
BG1/2 are nice in therm of exploration but i really thing they should go Fallout1/2, Arcanum way.

It's vastly better than BG1 or 2 or almost any RPG and give sence of completely open world without creating tons of assets.

Lancehead

BG1/2 are nice in therm of exploration but i really thing they should go Fallout1/2, Arcanum way.

It's vastly better than BG1 or 2 or almost any RPG and give sence of completely open world without creating tons of assets.

Arcanum, and to an extent Fallout 1&2 as well, had terrible random encounter design. Obsidian needs to put some efforts there if they're going to include them.

Perkel

Banned
Arcanum, and to an extent Fallout 1&2 as well, had terrible random encounter design. Obsidian needs to put some efforts there if they're going to include them.

I always found it actually good. Meaning when i on lvl1 encountered pack of adult radscorpions i simply run away. That was mainly connected with skill outdorsman and Luck stat.

But i agree this should be improved.

inm8num2

That's cool, now go away.

Bait and switch?

Yes, one of the best RPG developers is using some of the most respected RPG makers in order to swindle the gullible out of a couple of millions. I guess Feargus Urquhart is planning on hightailing it to a non expedition country with the money stuffed in a suitcase.

You are the most clever person in the universe.

Why so angry?

I'm not saying it's a scam. I'm saying that without the reputation of the developers, the lack of information and details about the project would have people very cautious.

Are you guys denying that the developers know their reputation is good enough to fund a game without having to do as much pre-production that other kickstarters have to do to gain support?

Lots of irrational responses to valid points.

Lancehead

I always found it actually good. Meaning when i on lvl1 encountered pack of adult radscorpions i simply run away. That was mainly connected with skill outdorsman and Luck stat.

But i agree this should be improved.

Fallout games allowed you escape if you come up against something too powerful, yes, but I found many instances I couldn't run away before being shot down. For example, in Fallout 2, Highwaymen and Crazy Ghouls would sometimes take me down in just one or two turns (not even a round). Not a huge problem, though.

Arcanum was horrible with those Molechean Hand assassins. First they're too powerful to deal with (you can't escape random encounter in this game), then they're just a nuisance during travel.

inm8num2

How did I prove your point when I didn't even refute you post? To you it's a bait and switch because you think they're using their reputation to put forward a weak concept. To me it'd be a "bait and switch" (note: it was used in an ironic sense if you didn't observe) because I'll probably get a much better product than what's being showed so far.

Not sure why you're asking for proofs when I didn't claim there was actually a bait and switch.

Your post proved my point because despite the points I made, you ignored them and focused on the product you think you'll get. That you didn't refute my post, and your response encapsulated the marketing of the project, proved my point.

I'm not saying it won't be a great game. I'm simply pointing out that these guys have done very little work, or at least have shown very little, and their presentation so far is amateur.

Take away Cain, Avellone, and Sawyer's names from the project but keep everything else the same. Would they have 30k backers and $1.5 million right now? Doubt it.

Emitan

Take away Cain, Avellone, and Sawyer's names from the project but keep everything else the same. Would they have 30k backers and $1.5 million right now? Doubt it.

What does this have to do with anything? You're asking if a completely different product would be treated differently. Duh?

Durante

Of course not. What is your point? Is it a bad thing that people are more willing to trust that developers who have made a game (or more than one) they enjoyed before might do so again?

Acosta

That's the point: Cain, Avellone and Sawyer.

Why don't you wait until the KS is finished to judge the pledge? They probably didn't expect it to be that fast, I'm sure they will have several updates this month.

Derrick01

Banned

That's like saying take away Michael Jordan and the Bulls wouldn't have done shit in the 90s. No freakin duh man. You don't take the best talent away and expect the same results, both in fan interest and how the game turns out.

inm8num2

What does this have to do with anything? You're asking if a completely different product would be treated differently. Duh?

I said same product, just take away the names of the big three.

@ Trigger - the point is that so far the kickstarter presentation is weak. Very few details about anything. Amateur presentation. One generic map.

The point is that they can get by on reputation without doing a lot of the leg work that other kickstarters have to do.

This point is being raised because people who aren't die hard fans of their previous work, or maybe never had a chance to play them, aren't swept away like some of the hardcore fans are.

Which circles back to the point that the devs know they have a huge following and will get their pledges. And this enables them to not be as forthright with their progress, if they've done much at all other than whip up a generic map that looks like any other map from any RPG and does nothing to show why this game is unique.

But most of you don't want to hear this because you're focused on how great you think the game will be. It can be great, but right now there's so little to go off.

Emitan

I said same product, just take away the names of the big three.

@ Trigger - the point is that so far the kickstarter presentation is weak. Very few details about anything. Amateur presentation. One generic map.

The point is that they can get by on reputation without doing a lot of the leg work that other kickstarters have to do.

This point is being raised because people who aren't die hard fans of their previous work, or maybe never had a chance to play them, aren't swept away like some of the hardcore fans are.

Which circles back to the point that the devs know they have a huge following and will get their pledges. And this enables them to not be as forthright with their progress, if they've done much at all other than whip up a generic map that looks like any other map from any RPG and does nothing to show why this game is unique.

But most of you don't want to hear this because you're focused on how great you think the game will be. It can be great, but right now there's so little to go off.
Yeah we only have information like the best RPG designers in the industry are working on it with no constraints on them other than budget.

Lancehead

Your post proved my point because despite the points I made, you ignored them and focused on the product you think you'll get. That you didn't refute my post, and your response encapsulated the marketing of the project, proved my point.

I didn't ignore your points, in fact you'll notice I made similar points two posts above yours. My point was to say why people don't consider this a bait and switch.

Why would you take them away? Ideas come from people, what's point of arguing by isolating those ideas from people?

I personally would rather them focus on making a good game rather than some kick starter videos and graphics and including details avout the game that they aren't sure of yet.

Midou

I personally would rather them focus on making a good game rather than some kick starter videos and graphics and including details avout the game that they aren't sure of yet.

Yes. Depending on the amount of funding, they may radically change certain aspects of the game, putting out a lot of footage now could undermine the project if some people don't like what it looks like.

inm8num2

I didn't ignore your points, in fact you'll notice I made similar points two posts above yours. My point was to say why people don't consider this a bait and switch.

Why would you take them away? Ideas come from people, what's point of arguing by isolating those ideas from people?

Because right now there really aren't any ideas presented, other than this:

Project Eternity will take the central hero, memorable companions and the epic exploration of Baldur’s Gate, add in the fun, intense combat and dungeon diving of Icewind Dale, and tie it all together with the emotional writing and mature thematic exploration of Planescape: Torment.

Combat uses a tactical real-time with pause system - positioning your party and coordinating attacks and abilities is one of the keys to success. The world map is dotted with unique locations and wilderness ripe for exploration and questing. You’ll create your own character and collect companions along the way – taking him or her not just through this story, but, with your continued support, through future adventures. You will engage in dialogues that are deep, and offer many choices to determine the fate of you and your party. …and you'll experience a story that explores mature themes and presents you with complex, difficult choices to shape how your story plays out.

We are excited at this chance to create something new, yet reminiscent of those great games and we want you to be a part of it as well.

There's nothing there that can't be applied to virtually all other RPGs. That's my point - it's almost intentionally vague so far. I simply hope that they get into specifics as the campaign goes on. Because right now pledging is a big leap of faith based on the attached names. Yes, most kickstarters are leaps of faith, but other projects have a lot more to present.

I'll use Broken Sword 5 as an example - look at all the things they showed in their pitch and throughout the campaign. There's so much there that you can feel confident in the product, versus just taking a leap of faith based on who's working on the project.

Like it or not, Project Eternity falls into the "huge leap of faith without project details being presented" end of the spectrum. Neither good nor bad, but that's the case.

Top Bottom