• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity by Obsidian Entertainment (Kickstarter) [Up: Teaser]

Sentenza

Apparently they already edited the official artwork.

image-163777-full.jpg

The important lesson today is that bitching can get results.

r72GD.jpg

jesawyervqfzv.png

image-163777-full.jpg

Much better.

And I like it that they'll probably try to sexualize the female characters less in the future (unless it makes sense, like a female rogue assassin).

Hargenx

People get me wrong...

The problem is not a woman with a gun, is just the gun, in DS3 the gun is just overpowered, that's the point, I hope this time they balance it better.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
It's time to bitch about the lack of things to bitch about. Obviously.
Where the hell is the next update Obslowdian?!!

People get me wrong...

The problem is not a woman with a gun, is just the gun, in DS3 the gun is just overpowered, that's the point, I hope this time they balance it better.

By the sound of it, guns are weaker than bows at everything but killing mages.

Sentenza

People get me wrong...

While the balance problem could exist, I'm not sure how comparing this game with DS3 could have any relevance, considering how we are talking of entirely different combat systems.

One was an action game that gave the player control of a single character, this is a tactical party based game.

Hargenx

I'm not comparing with DS3(I don't even like the game LOL), I'm just showing a game where the problem exist, and Obsidian work on it! :)

xenist

Lipstick on a pig. Like the previous Random Human Male Fighter #251265, it's just a snore-inducing character concept.

Fuck yeah! Her left leg, right arm and belly should be unarmored for no reason at all. Also she needs to have a hairstyle that wouldn't have been out of place in Paris Fashion Week and enrgy goo slowly seeping out of her eyes.

And shoulder armor. More shoulder armor.

if she's using a gun why is she even wearing heavy armor? Just put her in chain mail or leather armor.

JE Sawyer said on the forums that her melee weapon is a 'military hammer', they just chose to leave that out of this concept art. Remember that guns in this game are pretty much one-shot only.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Fuck yeah! Her left leg, right arm and belly should be unarmored for no reason at all. Also she needs to have a hairstyle that wouldn't have been out of place in Paris Fashion Week and enrgy goo slowly seeping out of her eyes.

And shoulder armor. More shoulder armor.

Its possible to be interesting without being "random" or "wacky". This isn't a bad style but I would like them to push it a bit further in terms of looking "like what we expect...but not quite", just seemingly realistic deviations that might arise from a parallel culture.

Ledsen

No boob armor please. Keep it away from this game. And if she's using a gun why is she even wearing heavy armor? Just put her in chain mail or leather armor.

I thinks its funny that when I google knight and then female knight you get two completely different styles of armor.

Pretty sure some knights in real life did use guns in meelee. Not huge rifles but still.

Sentenza

Its possible to be interesting without being "random" or "wacky". This isn't a bad style but I would like them to push it a bit further in terms of looking "like what we expect...but not quite", just seemingly realistic deviations that might arise from a parallel culture.
Yeah, I mean...

This is an interesting character design:

1484037-6965vernon_drawing.gif

This isn't:

image-162519-full.jpg

Sentenza

Your example really isn't much better.
Yes, it is, by FAR.
Vernon Roche's appearance has a very recognizable outfit without being exceedingly over the top.
It also has its fair amount of details adding an even more distinctive feel.

Edair looks like "Anonymous NPC on the side of the street #2346" from any random adventure module for D&D.

We don't know anything about the characters besides how they look.
Aaaand that's all we are talking about, in fact. So i can't se how that could be an issue.

Fjordson

Just watched the latest update from Avellone.

Apparently we take the same brand of fish oil pills. Yeah...that's all I have to add.

Exuro

And now I need to go look at some Roche screens. Looks so good in game. Love The Witcher 2 designs.

And after looking for shots I remember how awesome Iorveth looks.

I like Roche's design by the way, but it's puzzling insofar as I'm not sure what CDPR was trying to do with it. Is he meant to be trying to disguise as a merchant? You'd expect someone like him (essentially a medieval secret agent) to try and not stand out.

Sentenza

And now I need to go look at some Roche screens. Looks so good in game. Love The Witcher 2 designs.

Delivered:

f7de0e7032312.jpg

I like Roche's design by the way, but it's puzzling insofar as I'm not sure what CDPR was trying to do with it. Is he meant to be trying to disguise as a merchant? You'd expect someone like him (essentially a medieval secret agent) to try and not stand out.
He's actually the leader of a commando unit, Blue Stripes (Royal Special Forces, essentially).
Not a secret agent.

He occasionally deals with spies, sure, but he's not a spy himself.

I need to replay The Witcher 2. Or should I wait for mods with new areas?
I think so...

Just play it on easy, that way you won't have to bother with its combat and can get to the stuff that matters, like story, quest design, etc.

Not sure if mods are going to be worth it, The Witcher 1's mods were.. subpar. I doubt the sequel will be any different.

Opinions.
Despise balance issues it's actually better than most action RPGs around, as far as I'm concerned.

Of course it's an opinion, but he asked for opinions like that in the first place, so I didn't see the point of putting a huge disclaimer in front of it. And personally, I felt it tried to be too many things at the same time and to fit both consoles and PC with a single interface, which hurts the pace of the combat a lot. It's gotten better after the patches but still not there.

Anyway, if you enjoy it, all the more power to you.

Is "boob armor" really a big deal? I'd rather have characters appear as differnetly as possible and that's part of it. This game, and genre, is not about realism and never has been. I want the girls to look different from the guys, it's not a matter of sexuality, in a game what does it matter, it's about variety. I want characters to look different from each other. While I love Fallout, I don't like how every character looks the same based on armor, and I'd rather that not be the case here.

edit: and yeah, Witcher 2 designs aren't any better than what's been shown

Sentenza

edit: and yeah, Witcher 2 designs aren't any better than what's been shown
You people need better glasses.

1484037-6965vernon_drawing.gif
Tw2_full_Dethmold_2.png
tumblr_m88sk76qUs1qcjglso1_400.jpg

tumblr_lpn4y83Fd61qctq9do1_500.jpg

Those are all highly distinctive designs.
Characters that definitely have a easily recognizable look, some degree of originality, a lot of style and an amazing amount of details.

That's the very definition of good character design for you.

Lancehead

Those are all highly distinctive designs.
Characters that definitely have a easily recognizable look, some degree of originality, a lot of style and an amazing amount of details.

That's the very definition of good character design for you.

Maybe we should stop comparing art of important characters in the game with art that's represents a class. When Obsidian releases concept art of an important character, we can do all sorts of comparisons with Witcher.

Top Bottom