• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity by Obsidian Entertainment (Kickstarter) [Up: Teaser]

inky

Here's an interview with Adam Brennecke on the PA Report.

Also, new concept art:

r72GD.jpg

Eww, I don't like this.

I just want to see some more colored art work. The dwarven ranger piece was really nice. These last 2 aren't bad necessarily, but leaving them on the sort of old looking parchment background doesn't do much to help them out either.

DTKT

I just want to see some more colored art work. The dwarven ranger piece was really nice. These last 2 aren't bad necessarily, but leaving them on the sort of old looking parchment background doesn't do much to help them out either.

I agree with that sentiment. Colored artwork in the same style as the Dwarven Huntress would be great.

zkylon

zkylewd
Take this gun out of my sight... ;__;

Worst of all, again a woman with a gun, please, please, remember the error in DS3...

197301-header.jpg
Why is it worse that it's a woman? I mean, I get it, DS3's whatshername was terrible, but Obsidian normally does great women packing heat (as in all of Alpha Protocol's cast).

That art doesn't do much to boost excitement, they should've grabbed a better one...

Opiate

I don't think being "bad" at a game is really a bad thing or something we need to shame people for (unless they're showing off to begin with and get owned! lol). Ultimately it is a hobby. It's not a job. We play games because we enjoy them and they are fun. For different people the threshold of fun varies. Some people like a greater challenge, some people don't.

I agree with your sentiment, but I do think you've conflated two ideas here. First, some people are bad at video games. That is true. Second, some games are harder than others. That is also true.

But it is perfectly possible to be bad at games and still prefer very hard games regardless. Many people still play Chess even though they stink at it. "Being bad at games" and "liking easy games" are two different things.

Kimaka

Ack, boob armor, but its pretty decent compared to what's out there.

I agree. The Dwarf art is still the most interesting. The other two are dull in comparison.

Sentenza

Same.

Whoever said they should get the Icewind Dale guy back, I completely agree.
Yeah, Justin Sweet. Awesome artist.
There are people on their forum asking loudly to bring him back as a stretch goal.

I agree with your sentiment, but I do think you've conflated two ideas here. First, some people are bad at video games. That is true. Second, some games are harder than others. That is also true.

But it is perfectly possible to be bad at games and still prefer very hard games regardless. Many people still play Chess even though they stink at it. "Being bad at games" and "liking easy games" are two different things.
I agree.
In my case, for instance, I've never been particularly skilled at any game, as far as I can remember, but I still find a good challenge highly entertaining and games with trivial difficulty unbearably boring to play, most of the times.

Then again, there is another issue. People very often mix difficulty with complexity.
Asking for a game to be a bit more complex and deep doesn't necessarily imply willing to play at the hardest difficulty. Just to point an example, in Dragon Age 2 Bioware forced people to play at the hardest setting if they wanted friendly fire on in battle. Which is stupid, because I may like friendly fire for its strategic implications and yet find very boring enemies with doubled HP and damage.

Famassu

Take this gun out of my sight... ;__;

Worst of all, again a woman with a gun, please, please, remember the error in DS3...

197301-header.jpg
What's the problem with guns, exactly? Is it just "waah, waah, I dun want guns in mah fantasy" or something you can actually give a good reason for?

duckroll

But we're not talking about easy games. We're talking about whether a game should make an allowance to better communicate things to a player, or communicate more things to the player, with the knowledge that the people playing it will have a broad range of aptitude for any given challenge.

If you want to use Chess as an example, many Chess software offer a HUGE variety of options to cater to players of varying skill and also players looking for different things out of the software. People who want to learn established strategies can do so by playing simulations of classic matches, or watching replays and guides on how the deeper strategies work. Someone who just wants to play plain Chess can also do so. Some software will show you all valid moves for a given piece when you select it, some require completely manual movement, while rejecting any invalid moves.

The point here is that communicating what is available and giving the player feedback is something which some players want (and some players need), while it is also something which other players feel kills "immersion" in the game, and would rather do without it. It doesn't really make the game easier, it just makes the game more vague, which is a personal preference.

Edit: And to my actual point about shaming other players, it was never about how less capable players always want something easier. It was that how much challenge someone wants out of their hobby is their choice. If someone who is weak at Chess still wants to play with experienced players even if they always lose, if they end up having a good time that's great. But if someone prefers to play more casually and is interested in the mechanics of the game but not on a competitive level, people should not go "LOL N00B l0zER! ROFLMAO MAN UP!" when they express that opinion.

wrowa

It's kind of sad that Obsidian is playing it safe even though they've got the chance to not play it safe for once. Instead of being dependant on the mercy of the publishers, they make themselves dependant on a nebulous will of the majority ... a will that actually hasn't been really voiced by anyone.

I guess they really, really want to sell a lot of copies of Project Eternity, so that they can be more independant in the future... but I'm not sure if being bland is really the right way to get the most attention.

Lime

Don't know if it was posted, but even Sawyer apparently agrees with the notion of the impracticality of boob armour.

jesawyervqfzv.png

Maybe he's more of an aesthetics>functionality kind of guy.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
It's kind of sad that Obsidian is playing it safe even though they've got the chance to not play it safe for once. Instead of being dependant on the mercy of the publishers, they make themselves dependant on a nebulous will of the majority ... a will that actually hasn't been really voiced by anyone.

I guess they really, really want to sell a lot of copies of Project Eternity, so that they can be more independant in the future... but I'm not sure if being bland is really the right way to get the most attention.

Maybe this is the game they really want to make? It's a company full of D&D nerds.

Famassu

I don't see how making it more whimsical or whatever shit some of you want it to be would be better. They seem to be trying to make a believable fantasy world (as believable as fantasy can be) and that's certainly something that, when done well, is much better than your usual OTT fantasy gear that's in no way functional.

Kientin

Artwork is ok to me, though I really just want to see how it fits in the world. Maybe it will grow on me then once I see more.

Lime

He's not an art director for starters.

Writing, design and aesthetics should be internally consistent. If Sawyer is of the opinion that boob armor is impractical and does not make much sense, and his game design reflects this notion, then the aesthetics should be consistent with the view that it's impractical (or vice versa, depending on who's having the most creative control at Obsidian).

Lime

What's wrong with discussing art style and how it might fit other aspects of the game? It was part of the latest news and thus it is being used as a platform for discussion.

Almighty

All this character art is fine, but I would like some world concept art myself.

Also was there supposed to be more updates today and tomorrow?

inky

It's only comments in a message board about the concept art we've seen people, jeez.

Suddenly, slight criticism on GAF about the developments of a beloved project that is not even into full production = SERIOUZ BIZNESS! Fo' Real guise!

FWIW I didn't like the gun, not even the armor (mostly).

Zeliard

It's only comments about the concept art we've seen in a message board, jeez.

Suddenly, slight criticism on GAF about the developments of a beloved project that is not even into full production = SERIOUZ BIZNESS! Fo' Real guise!

FWIW I didn't like the gun, not even the armor (mostly).

Apparently people aren't supposed to opine on it. It's concept art they're releasing for no reason whatsoever.

charsace

No boob armor please. Keep it away from this game. And if she's using a gun why is she even wearing heavy armor? Just put her in chain mail or leather armor.

I thinks its funny that when I google knight and then female knight you get two completely different styles of armor.

The thing is, if they're shooting for Infinity engine style graphics you'll probably not even be able to really tell if she's wearing boob armor or normal armor.

Maybe this is the game they really want to make? It's a company full of D&D nerds.

It's really sad how many people on the Kickstarter comments think they should have full control over someone else's product. You want to dictate how something is done in the game? Donate the amount required to make an NPC/item/Inn. They give you the opportunity to at least minimally partake in the process through custom design tiers, through their forums, and yet people want more.

I won't even get started on the ones I've seen that have wanted royalties from every copy sold.

Sentenza

Gah, that's painful either way. There's no padding on that chest whatsoever.

Actually, why would a rifleman need heavy armor?
You are preaching to the choir here.
As I already said I'm not very fond of their concept arts and character design so far.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The game is clearly going for a pretty fluffy fantasy art style, like many games/stories in the genre.

Time to accept it dudebros.

Top Bottom