• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity by Obsidian Entertainment (Kickstarter) [Up: Teaser]

Minsc

Gold Member
No one's better at killing kings with finesse than Letho. The Enhanced Edition intro only needlessly cements that further.

I think The Witcher 2's characters really benefit from the game's world / plot. When you see them, they generally fit the role they've been cast to perfectly. The lengthy conversation at the end was a little surprising, but being at the end also disappointing.

Everything I've read about Project Eternity I've liked a lot more than what I've seen of it. There's just the three pieces of artwork though iirc, and each one I've liked a little less than the last. They all have very little bearing on the game itself so it's not a big deal. After reading this earlier:

Brennecke told me he saw the first screenshot of the game the day we spoke. Even he was impressed. “It looks amazing.”

I'm fully expecting that to be the point I change my mind, but I wouldn't mind it if it were sooner!

Reached $2.1 Million and Getting Close to 50k Backers!

It's been an amazing week and we are getting close to doubling our initial goal of $1.1 million. The next stretch goal at $2.2 million adds a new region, faction, and companion along with French, German, and Spanish translations.

We are also getting close to 50k backers! We have something fun and special planned for all of our backers when we hit this milestone, so keep a look out for an update on Monday about it.

Every pledge means that the game will get better and the world of Project Eternity will be larger. We understand that many of you are already pledging as much as you can. We are sincerely grateful for your contribution to the project, and we couldn't have made it this far without you. Another way to increase the funding and to hit our stretch goals is for you to spread the word about Project Eternity to your friends and family. Share your excitement with your favorite internet community, and tell your friends about Kickstarter and Project Eternity. We know that there are more than 50k people that would like to contribute, so we are reaching out to you to help us promote and reach out to other fans that may not know about the game yet. Tweet about the game, and share the project updates on Facebook. We are all in this together, and we all want the game to be as best as it can be.

Thank You!

Update by Adam

Perkel

Banned
No one's better at killing kings with finesse than Letho. The Enhanced Edition intro only needlessly cements that further.

I think The Witcher 2's characters really benefit from the game's world / plot. When you see them, they generally fit the role they've been cast to perfectly. The lengthy conversation at the end was a little surprising, but being at the end also disappointing.

In what sense ? No closure like W1 or just Letho talk which altered things too much.

BTW other witchers from snake school had very interesting and well written diaries.

fake edit:

Fuck yes $2,100,000. Cooking cannot be stoped

Breaking-Bad-money-640.jpg

edit:

I just noticed from that podcast that their kickstarter music is original and created internally. Re-watched vid. Amazing score in my opinion and i wouldn't mind if this composer would do music for PE.

zkylon

zkylewd
I just noticed from that podcast that their kickstarter music is original and created internally. Re-watched vid. Amazing score in my opinion and i wouldn't mind if this composer would do music for PE.
Yeah the music in the trailer gave me chills (though that might be the opportunity to throw cash at Obs :p)

Durante

I'm LTTP, but I just watched the update #10 video and was surprised to see that Chris Avellone uses the exact same monitor setup and keyboard as I do at work. His desk is much cleaner though.

As far as visuals go, if its similar to the Infinity Engine games, the most important aspect of the visuals I always thought were the environments. The actual on screen characters in the IE games were never much to write home about but it was the environments that kind of made them as memorable as they were. Now, the portraits for the characters are important but I expect any final portraits will look better than the concept art we've seen thus far.

Update #12 - Reddit Q&A with Tim Cain

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=1Uyzap5FcgI

This update is going to be a little different. Instead of doing an update on a topic that we chose, we asked readers on reddit to submit questions and vote them up or down, and on Friday we took the five highest scoring questions to answer here.

You can visit the Project Eternity reddit group here:

http://www.reddit.com/r/projecteternity/

and the Q&A subgroup is here:
http://www.reddit.com/r/projecteter..._a_chance_to_have_your_questions_answered_by/

Let us know if you like these Q&A updates, and we can look into doing more of them.

Tim.

AtheistBots asks...
Class vs. Classless systems You're most famous for classless systems involved in Fallout and Arcanum. It sounds as if Obsidian will be using a class based system. What do you see as being the advantages of a class based system that you're hoping to leverage in Project Eternity?

Answer: We are designing a class-based system because we want the different characters in your party to fill different roles, and classes are the best way to achieve this goal. In a skill-based game, it's harder to tell if a companion gives you the skills you are looking for, especially before you recruit them. In a class-based game, you know what each class can do, so you can decide that you want a particular class even before a potential companion offers to join you. And when you have a lot of companions and can choose which ones you want to take on a particular adventure, classes make it easier to form the group and be assured that you have your skillsets covered.

Bonus question: Are you considering multiclassing?

Answer: Bonus questions are cheating…but yes, we are considering adding multi-classing to the game. A better way to put this answer is that we are not ruling them out at this time. If they work well with our final system, we will offer them.

Kaaaboom asks…

I was a bit discouraged when I heard that the combat was going to be RTwP (real time with pause), myself being a big fan of TB (turn based) and the possibility of tactical combat that it lends to a game. My question is then: how are you going to make the combat in P:E tactically interesting despite it being RTwP?

Answer: Hmm, this is a bit of a loaded question, as it implies that real-time games aren't tactically interesting while all turn-based games are. Believe me, I have played plenty of dull turn-based games with very few options on what to do on each turn, and there are lots of real-time games that are incredibly tactically rich. Look at all of the real-time strategy games out there!

So to answer your question, we are going to make sure that the distinct abilities that our classes will have will each provide different roles to those characters in combat, and that you will always have choices to make in combat about how to best position yourself and use your attacks. In addition, we are going to design the enemy encounters to be ever-increasing challenges, so that one way of fighting won't carry you through every encounter. You will be forced to mix it up a bit, tactically speaking, and use all of your combat skills to make it through to the end of the game.

Let me add that as an Infinity Engine inspired game, our pillars of design include isometric exploration of a fantasy world, a reactive storyline with interesting and believable characters, and real-time with pause combat. Those elements are expected in our game, and we feel strongly about providing them.

Elthosian asks…

How much reactivity can we expect from the world based in our character's race and sub-race?

Answer: We will provide a lot of reactivity in our game to your choice of race. We are planning on giving each race a set of traits that the player can pick from, and those traits affect everything from dialogs choices to skill bonuses to what kind of options you will have to finish some quests. There probably won't be quests that are just for one race, but one thing we are not going to do for certain is make race-restricted items. While many items have a cultural connection to some races, they will still be useable by members of other races. It might be unusual to see humans in elven chain, but they can wear it.

NeuroArcanist asks…

What aspect of cRPGs missing from modern games do you most want to recapture with Project Eternity?

Answer: I can answer that in one word: parties. I like playing cRPG's that allow the player to control big parties of characters, and by control, I mean you can pick the actions of each party member if you want. We will have lots of pause conditions in our combat, and if you want to have the game pause whenever a party member can perform a new action, you can do that. Most modern games only let you control one character, or if they give you a party, you only control one member of that group. In this game, I want to control all of them.

Zinicel asks…

Will there be modding capabilities for this game? I know it's a tall order for this style of game, but I've wanted a definitive answer to this question. Knowing Unity, I know it's somewhat unlikely to offer this. But it'd still be nice to know for sure.

Answer: That is a very good question, but unfortunately, I don't have an answer for you. We are still looking at Unity and how it bundles up content in the shipped game, and we will have to see how much of that we can make available to the player. I can say that we want you to be able to mod the game, and if it's possible, we will allow you to do it. It's not our primary focus, which is to give you an amazing single player experience with our game, but we know a lot of people will want to tinker with the game and make their own content, so we will let you know how this objective is faring when we are further along in development.

FORUMS: Join the discussion for Update #12!

If you want to know what sets the Witcher 2 art apart from what we have seen so far from Project eternity look at how pieces of clothing are treated. Look at the belts for instance, in the Witcher 2 they are treated like an object that exists outside the rest of the clothing, they have volume. In PE belts are like textures drawn on the clothes.

Not to mention that Witcher 2's clothing look like they come from a realized cultural setting. We just happen to be looking to a fashion trend, that is not for everyone, and that might disappear, but it feels grounded on that period in time.

Durante

JE – I recognize that a lot of people like being able to make their own parties, but we found on the Icewind Dale games that a ton of people really hated not having companions available, mostly because having them present opens up so much commentary on the world and your actions in it. The party becomes very quiet when they’re all player-made.
That (and dialogue with party members) is exactly why I prefer having companions. I'm happy that they realize that, and I hope not having to record VA for every line allows for tons and tons of party commentary on locations/events in the game.

Sotha Sil

That (and dialogue with party members) is exactly why I prefer having companions. I'm happy that they realize that, and I hope not having to record VA for every line allows for tons and tons of party commentary on locations/events in the game.

Yep, VA killed the dialogue stars. There's few things I love more than talking with well-written, opinionated NPCs in CRPGs.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
If you want to know what sets the Witcher 2 art apart from what we have seen so far from Project eternity look at how pieces of clothing are treated. Look at the belts for instance, in the Witcher 2 they are treated like an object that exists outside the rest of the clothing, they have volume. In PE belts are like textures drawn on the clothes.

Not to mention that Witcher 2's clothing look like they come from a realized cultural setting. We just happen to be looking to a fashion trend, that is not for everyone, and that might disappear, but it feels grounded on that period in time.

I feel another thing that the Witcher 2 does well is adding detail and lighter contrast in the areas they want to draw the viewer's eyes too, helping to give the picture more focus on what is memorable about the design while not overloading them with so much detail and saturation that they have trouble focusing on any particular part.

I feel Valve explains this concept very well in their slides about Dota 2's art direction (I tried to pull only the relevant slides): http://media.steampowered.com/apps/dota2/workshop/Dota2CharacterArtGuide.pdf

Now, to apply this to an art style that is much closer to Obsidian's game, here is some relatively reserved art from Guild Wars 2 that focuses on putting detail and lighter contrast near the top of the armor, but making things that are lower seem darker and more sparse. It also focuses on maintaining areas of rest and subdued detail:

Now compare this to the relatively static contrast and lack of areas of rest applied to this warrior:

DTKT

At the same time, we're judging a non-colored piece of art. I think that everyone was rather positive about the Dwarven huntress art?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
At the same time, we're judging a non-colored piece of art. I think that everyone was rather positive about the Dwarven huntress art?

While this is true, I feel the contrast and detailing statements still hold true regardless, since most of that is illustrated in grayscale in the Valve slides, and the example ArenaNet art is entirely gray outside of the shoulder pieces and the background.

There are interesting coloring notes in the Dota 2 art direction slides, but yeah, there's no color so I feel bringing those over didn't make much sense.

Zeliard

While many items have a cultural connection to some races, they will still be useable by members of other races. It might be unusual to see humans in elven chain, but they can wear it.

Gonna play as a pretentious godlike race and subversively wear dwarven gear.

I like both approaches and wish there was some sort of a balance that could be worked out, but given only one choice I'd definitely go with companions.

Taruranto

The whole thing annoys me. Like Obsidian is some kind of new thing, they have been releasing wrpg for years, and they are all pretty much better than every Bioware's product. (the only one that can compete is BG2 that was released under Black Isle...)

Beside, if there is a company that should be glorified is Black Isle, not the "old" Bioware.

The whole thing annoys me. Like Obsidian is some kind of new thing, they have been releasing wrpg for years, and they are all pretty much better than every Bioware's product. (the only one that can compete is BG2 that was released under Black Isle...)

Beside, if there is a company that should be glorified is Black Isle, not the "old" Bioware.

Stealth "BioWare was never good" post?

dude

dude
Actually, now that I think about it, the Baldur's Gate series is really the only thing worthwhile to come out of BioWare. KoTOR 1 was alright, NWN was fine in multi-player, but they're both far from great.

Taruranto

Bioware was on top of the world a few years ago with Mass Effect 1 and Dragons Age: Origins.

Now they are dead.

That's some small little world you must live in.

oh come on, let's not get all revisionist. bioware at their peak were pretty bloody good, though I'd agree that they generally focused on rather different things than obsidian.

I guess most people consider Bioware "peaks" DA:O and ME1? The first one was boring shit to me and ME1 was an ok game, but nothing really to brag about. Their only god-like game was BG2, but it was released under Black Isle and 1 game doesn't make a company "legendary", especially after it failed so many times after that.

That's some small little world you must live in.

I guess most people consider Bioware "peaks" DA:O and ME1? The first one was boring shit to me and ME1 was an ok game, but nothing really to brag about. Their only god-like game was BG2, but it was released under Black Isle and 1 game doesn't make a company "legendary", especially after it failed so many times after that.

Bioware to me peaked at NWN1, and maybe the initial Star wars games (but I've never played them so I can't say), but there was definitely a decline in progress come DA:O and ME1 (regardless of how good they were on their own).

Minsc

Gold Member
Bioware to me peaked at NWN1, and maybe the initial Star wars games (but I've never played them so I can't say), but there was definitely a decline in progress come DA:O and ME1 (regardless of how good they were on their own).

About all I can remember about NWN1 is it had great bobbleheads, so I guess if that's what does it for you. :p

There's not much else I found redeeming about NWN1, long, boring tutorial, painfully awful writing and plot, and a huge downgrade from BG2 in almost every way. The most redeeming feature of the game is all the mods other people made, quite a few great ones, and perhaps the ability to DM with it and run campaigns. DA:O and ME1 are both significantly better than NWN1 by most anyone's metrics, never really saw anyone put NWN1 at the height of Bioware's talent before. I see almost no reason to replay it (or play it for the first time) these days.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

This is the big thing I feel is missing from the PE concept art so far, and its because I'm spoiled by some artists working in several areas lately that really do focus on making something look realistic but from a slightly different culture.

Taruranto

Oh god why, NWN1 is one of the worst rpg ever, and to think it came after BG2...

The online was awesome, but that alone doesn't make a game, especially one like NWN where everything was left to the players... it was a tool more than anything.

DTKT

My guess is that they wanted to get some art out as fast as possible. I hope that some of the future art is actually colored and a bit more complex.

Top Bottom