• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity by Obsidian Entertainment (Kickstarter) [Up: Teaser]

Grayman

Feargus in the comment section:

We are going to fund it ourselves and from the sales we get from Project Eternity when it comes available - not from Kickstarter funds. I don't think we will do a Kickstarter just for it, I'd rather see about funding the sequel that way - if you guys will still have us. :)

I would really hope that they make enough money to fund their own game next time. Kickstarting is a good way to gauge interest in a project but after one I don't think these established companies should come back unless it is for something drastically different and unproven.

Almighty

Almost to 2.5 million I see.

I am still thinking this will at least hit 3 million maybe even slightly higher like 3.2 or something. As for me though I have kind of lost interest in the kickstarter(not the game). The honeymoon period is over and none of the updates really got me excited like I was hoping. So I have been paying less and less attention to it. With both Dishonored and XCOM hitting tonight I will be checking in on it only a few times before it ends.

Oh well I still am backing and I am still excited for the actual game. I have faith in Obsidian that they will be able to make a game that will be great. I can't wait til they have more details nailed down and are able to actually give us some more meaty pieces of info and less of this high level concept stuff.

adixon

Yeah, they've said in a bunch of interviews that if the game makes enough money, they would likely just fund a sequel themselves and not kickstart it.

...I don't get it.
I hope this is not their "big thing" for the final push, because it's...pretty lame.

You really think they are going to reveal their big push 8 days out? They are starting to ramp it up. They even stated that the final push is on and they would reveal even more things.

I think getting a expansion is a decent add on.

And not everyone got into the wasteland 2 ks. (based on looking at backers history)

~Kinggi~

Banned
Seems like they have gotten their act together on delivering some interesting updates and additions to propel things forward. Speed has definitely picked up a bit since the last few updates. Hope there is more interesting news.

dude

dude
Expansion? Holy Cow, yes!

I already have Wasteland 2, but I guess if they also made that into an add-on a lot of the people who missed out on the Wasteland 2 Kickstarter might jump on it.

Even though I promised I wouldn't back another kickstarter until I saw results from Wasteland 2, I couldn't help myself once I checked the kickstarter page and saw that someone had backed out of the early adopter 20 dollar pledge, there was 1 left, and I went for it.

I sure hope to see something good.

dude

dude
Even though I promised I wouldn't back another kickstarter until I saw results from Wasteland 2, I couldn't help myself once I checked the kickstarter page and saw that someone had backed out of the early adopter 20 dollar pledge, there was 1 left, and I went for it.

I sure hope to see something good.

I think good is pretty much in the bag. I might build myself for a disappointment, but I'm banking on great.

Yeah, it's kinda weird, but Fargo is a business guy and probably thinks (in a smartish way) about things like "Added value." He probably figured the couple thousand copies of wasteland 2 he'd be giving away for free would be worth the extra funding obsidian would get out of it, since two thousand copies or so probably isn't going to hurt inExile's bottom line.

Yeah, Wasteland 2 is already funded and in production. They probably figured losing a couple of hypothetical thousands of dollars is worth it if it gives Eternity an appropriate boost.

adixon

Yeah, it's kinda weird, but Fargo is a business guy and probably thinks (in a smartish way) about things like "Added value." He probably figured the couple thousand copies of wasteland 2 he'd be giving away for free would be worth the extra funding obsidian would get out of it, since two thousand copies or so probably isn't going to hurt inExile's bottom line.

wrowa

That wasn't my post, but my suspicion was mostly born out of the lack of info. It's good to know that they are using Kickstarter to built the best game with the money they can get.

I'll still buy the next expansion. :p

Whoops, sorry, something went wrong while posting that. I left the tab with the reply open for an hour before I actually submitted it (I just forgot about it, lol); something must have gone terribly wrong in the meantime. :D

Grayman

Obsidian helped them out with Avellone and tools for wasteland so maybe no money is exchanged there and Fargo is doing them a solid like this.

Llyranor

Haha, this actually helps me out. I'll keep my signed collector's edition box sealed, and have 3 digital versions of Wasteland 2 (one for me, 2 for buddies).

dude

dude
I must be slipping, how did I miss this interview? This snippet is like music.

Given the outpouring of interest in Project: Eternity, do you see Obsidian continuing to make games in the classic Infinity Engine style?

Yes, as long as its viable to do so – considering the success the Project: Eternity Kickstarter has had, I don’t have much doubt that players want them and are willing to support them. We’ve certainly always wanted to make games like that, it’s just been hard to find a business model that allowed us to do so. Then Kickstarter came along and everything changed.

WRPGs have returned, and it seems like they might even stay for a while.

Taruranto

Kind of disappointed with what they have shown so far in terms of art and general cultural/genre/thematic direction.
They have COMPLETE control over how this project looks and the world around it. Fixed-Isometric stuff is very forgiving for doing crazy outlandish stuff. But they are choosing to be very generic about things. It's not like a game-changer for me since I still love some good generic (written and looking) fantasy.

I just wish they were like BAM! heres some crazy starting races, influenced by some cool ancient civilizations or something. With classes that feel cultural - tribal, middle eastern or south american, anything!
Instead were getting european fantasy 101. It really doesn't help that there artist(s)(I hope they have more than 1) are not that great.

Here's to hoping there more good stuff to come and they really start pushing their creativity (art direction at least).

My guess is that they want to create something akin to BG2. If you think about it, BG2 uses a typical D&D setting, and yet it manages to stand up from the rest.

The characters are really ugly, though. Is it confirmed that's definitive?

Corto

My guess is that they want to create something akin to BG2. If you think about it, BG2 uses a typical D&D setting, and yet it manages to stand up from the rest.

The characters are really ugly, though. Is it confirmed that's definitive?

As definitive as concept art can be, I would guess. The final design could look very different from these early samples.

dude

dude
The concept art is very very reminiscent of the BG2 art, so that's probably where they are going with it. So far, they've been going in a very BG2 route with almost everything, which I obviously have no qualms with.

The concept art is very very reminiscent of the BG2 art, so that's probably where they are going with it. So far, they've been going in a very BG2 route with almost everything, which I obviously have no qualms with.

conceptart5.jpg

I bet you that if this was posted, people would go on about how bland and uninspiring it is :p

Labadal

2.5 million reached if you add paypal pledges ($30K). Barbarians and Ciphers are in.

We're close to 55.000 backers wich means another floor for mega dungeon. Facebook likes might actually reach 20.000 likes, wich means one more floor for the mega dungeon.

Things look positive. $3 million, here we come!

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
The Mister is an Ed Greenwood production. (Technically author insertion)

I'm aware, but you didn't specify it had to be an 'original' Salvatore creation! And while I'm no expert I'm sure Salvatore writing him would be... 'magnificent'.

Things look positive. $3 million, here we come!
Pffft, let's reach for the sky- it'll hit 4 after Obsidian reveals the tier reward of making romancable Asshole Micheal Thorton a party member.

mclem

Yeah, I agree the art has been underwhelming. That said, sometimes art takes time. We got one piece of art during the entire Wasteland 2 kickstarter, didn't we? And nothing during all of Double Fine Adventure. Maybe Obsidian is just being a little too naive/open about what they share.

To be fair, that's in part because DFA *was* literally pretty much nothing at the outset. The intent was for the documentary to cover *all* of the creative process, meaning that no concept art could be done until everything was under way!

A recent episode of the doc specifically focussed on the creation of concept art and ideas.

Phandy

I don't necessarily have qualms with it, but I just feel they could be doing more.
They have essentially unlimited creative control and they stroll into the normal fantasy again (seemingly).

BG2 was essentially artistically average, but it didn't matter because everything else was so good, and at the time the genre wasn't quite so worn out. And being part of the DnD license limited it a bit BUT then you look what they managed to do with Planescape. They managed to do something very interesting there, they might not of pulled it off as well as BG2 or IWD in terms of actual artistic production. But its an instantly more exciting art direction too me.

/overthinking

Wish I was unemployed so I could apply for a job at Obsidian, would be crazy good working on a project like this. Its pretty much my dream game *swoon*

Lancehead

I don't necessarily have qualms with it, but I just feel they could be doing more.
They have essentially unlimited creative control and they stroll into the normal fantasy again (seemingly).

I've seen this argument made many times in the thread. But it may just be they don't have the talent to do it? Their history certainly seem to suggest so. Perhaps they could hire better artists, but then it comes down to priorities because of the limited budget.

DTKT

I've seen this argument made many times in the thread. But it may just be they don't have the talent to do it? Their history certainly seem to suggest so. Perhaps they could hire better artists, but then it comes down to priorities because of the limited budget.

Did they do some of the New Vegas art? There is some really good stuff in there. I just think they want to get them out quick. That's why you get brown, single character art.

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Fallout:_New_Vegas_concept_art

Some of the locations art is just amazing.

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Fallout:_New_Vegas_locations_concept_art

Lancehead

Did they do some of the New Vegas art? There is some really good stuff in there. I just think they want to get them out quick. That's why you get brown, single character art.

New Vegas had already-established art direction, though.

As for the locations, we have yet to see one from Eternity (well, there's one with all the classes, but it's not much of a location art). Maybe they'll do better than character art.

Phandy

From what I can see most of that is outsourced concept art.

And yeah, its a shame to say they might not have the talent :/, atleast they have bucket loads of great writers and designers!
That said though, they might be able to outsource some things. I'm not sure whether that is better on a budget or not, I assume it does work out better in monetary terms.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
It's concept art for characters you'll be viewing from a highly zoomed out isometric camera people. Simmer down.

Violet_0

Banned
It's concept art for characters you'll be viewing from a highly zoomed out isometric camera people. Simmer down.

doesn't help that they look super generic so far. I hope we'll get at least one Okku- or One of Many-type character.

as for the quality of the art, they tried to capture the old-school D&D style, but it really doesn't work

dude

dude
doesn't help that they look super generic so far. I hope we'll get at least one Okku- or One of Many-type character.

as for the quality of the art, they tried to capture the old-school D&D style, but it really doesn't work
I have no doubt in my mind that companions will be every least as interesting and unique as any in past IE games. I wouldn't wary about that.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Chanters can be found in almost any culture, but are most often seen in communities with a strong oral tradition. They are repositories of folk knowledge and common wisdom, tellers of tall tales and hallowed legends. Though chanters have a bit of minor talent in traditional arts of combat and soul-based magic, their true power lies in their chants. Chanters construct chants from individual iconic phrases and rhyming couplets they have memorized from hundreds of stories and poems, creating a chain of magical effects that plays out over time. While chanters do use the power of their souls to work their magic, chants are exhortations to the unconscious memory of wayward souls and the diffused spiritual energy of the world. That is, ambient spirits respond to the evocation of ancient, common story elements and play their part in reconstructing the chanter's tales. While a chanter's magic may seem modest compared to that of a wizard or a priest, chanters are able to recite their chants while occupied with other activities, making them extremely versatile.
Whoa, they made bards cool.

Violet_0

Banned
so we pretty much got all the D&D core classes together now

e: Druids are still missing, I think - one of the better classes, too

zkylon

zkylewd
Ah, would love an Obsidian t-shirt but I can't allow myself to spend any more money on this or the taxmen will come kicking my door...

adixon

So chanters are filling in for bards, but instead of being musicians, they're warrior-poets? That's kind of amazing... We need a chanter companion!

Herla

Fuck yeah, George Ziets!
I've been waiting for this news since they announced the kickstarter, dream team right here.

Top Bottom