• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity |OT| You must gather your party before venturing forth.

petghost

Banned
How is the modding scene for Pillars?

The possibilities would be endless.

There are some mods but I don't think the possibilities are endless because the process of making the maps is apparently really complex. Sawyer mentioned it at some point. Maybe it's doable? Really looking forward to balance mods etc though.

If someone wants to make engagement only for fighters and select enemies I'd be down I think.

Arcteryx

I keep getting this fucking screen despite having working saves, there's like a 1 in 20 chance it actually recognizes them

TMPP82s.jpg

Give this a try:
http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/73912-save-game-fix/

hemtae

There are some mods but I don't think the possibilities are endless because the process of making the maps is apparently really complex. Sawyer mentioned it at some point. Maybe it's doable? Really looking forward to balance mods etc though.

If someone wants to make engagement only for fighters and select enemies I'd be down I think.

I think there's a working version of the IE mod with engagement completely removed. I don't think the mod touches AI so I don't find it worth using yet but it might be something for the future.

Staf

Man, even just super early on you have the one little side quest with
that Nonton guy that tossed his friend to the bear and you have to decide how to deal with him and his lady friend.

This is just a dinky little quest but I've had to actually stop and think on how I want to resolve it because, oh my god, I've been given multiple choices on how to resolve it. Holy shit, I think I've been playing modern BioWare games for too long because this one little quest has more ambiguity and choice in it than most of DA: Inquisition did for it's quests.

And woohoo, I got my big collector's edition box in the mail today!

What are you talking about? The choices in Bioware games are great, choose top right to be nice and bottom right to be evil/douche.

/s

Miletius

Ugh, my fighter dude is totally bugged. 73 deflection at level 5.

I am on the fence about restarting. I really don't want to restart, especially since the bug isn't patched yet. I am a habitual quicksaver/quicloader so chances are it's just going to get worse.

Everybody else seems to be on the level though. I just might do his story parts and then replace him.

Ugh, my fighter dude is totally bugged. 73 deflection at level 5.

I am on the fence about restarting. I really don't want to restart, especially since the bug isn't patched yet. I am a habitual quicksaver/quicloader so chances are it's just going to get worse.

Everybody else seems to be on the level though. I just might do his story parts and then replace him.

Is 7x really that high for level 5? Looking at his other stats, and the stats of my other characters/companions, it doesn't look like my tank having 78 deflection being out of the realm of possibilities.

Corpekata

Banned
Is 7x really that high for level 5? Looking at his other stats, and the stats of my other characters/companions, it doesn't look like my tank having 78 deflection being out of the realm of possibilities.

Most of the people talking about the bug are talking about the character naked and not using his buffs, in which case it is absurdly high for that level.

Miletius

Most of the people talking about the bug are talking about the character naked and not using his buffs, in which case it is absurdly high for that level.

Yep, exactly. He's naked and at 73. I actually took a lot of stuff off of him when I reequip-ed him, he was sitting at at almost 100 prior in full armor.

Taking off all his gear and his toggled defense ability he loses 30 deflect to 48. Has some resolve from the rested bonus.

zonezeus

Almost dodged a bullet there, the only thing I noticed is +1 extra Resolve and Perception for Durance, God knows where did it come from. Not really game-breaking for me and I'm way too far to restart anyway, so moving on.

F!ReW!Re

So since I'm on the road at the moment (for the last 6 months)
I haven't had a chance to jump in on this yet. But having arrived in Taiwan yesterday the wifi at the place I stay at is fast enough to download this!

Downloading now and listening to the soundtrack + reading the CE collectors book.

Hopefully my laptop can run this!
Can't wait to dive in!

Onemic

How do you properly tank and hold aggro in the game? whenever my wizard or priest aggros an enemy Im forced to make them keep attacking and not run away due to that whole engagement penalty.

KarmaCow

Are quests completely done once the game marks it as done? I was doing an early Act II quest
His Old Self and I was little confused by the ending. I imprisoned the imposter and talke to the husband and he told me to talk to his wife about patching things up. I said tell her the truth, something about getting out of the drug trade and the quest ended. He's still in his house but I couldn't find the wife at the tavern to tell her what happened. Did I misinterpret the options there, the quest just seemingly ended abruptly.

Also what is the benefit of putting people in jail rather than killing them?

Jebral

So uh... I just noticed while armor juggling that Pallegina has -2 DR naked.

I don't see any active effects that would cause that, I've rested... Is she just like that? It's an oddity that's gnawing at my brain, input appreciated guys :)

infi

Starting to run into some annoying bugs.

2. I have a fight against some ogres, and the ogre druid every single time casts a plague of insects that won't wear off. I've even zoned out after killing them and resting and it won't go away.

I had this, it went away when I rested at the inn at the stronghold. It does still say 8 Raw damage and -20 concentration in the character stat screen but I don't take the damage so I assume the - 20 concentration also isn't affecting my character.

My biggest issue so far other than stronghold issues is the load and save times are starting to get annoying.

I don't see any active effects that would cause that, I've rested... Is she just like that? It's an oddity that's gnawing at my brain, input appreciated guys :)

Its a bug, I get the same issue.

Are quests completely done once the game marks it as done? I was doing an early Act II quest
His Old Self and I was little confused by the ending. I imprisoned the imposter and talke to the husband and he told me to talk to his wife about patching things up. I said tell her the truth, something about getting out of the drug trade and the quest ended. He's still in his house but I couldn't find the wife at the tavern to tell her what happened. Did I misinterpret the options there, the quest just seemingly ended abruptly.

Also what is the benefit of putting people in jail rather than killing them?

She was still in the Goose and Fox for me and I told him to tell her the truth as well.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
How do you properly tank and hold aggro in the game? whenever my wizard or priest aggros an enemy Im forced to make them keep attacking and not run away due to that whole engagement penalty.

If an enemy slips by your defense and starts wailing on your squishies you can use crowd control abilities to get away without getting hit in the back. Wizards for example has that Grimoire slam, Chanters have that cone stun/knockback Invocation, Priest can cast lvl 1 spells Halt to stop an approaching enemy or Withdraw where you phase out and cant be hit, etc.

Also make sure that your tanks are built for tanking. A fighter without the Defender ability is no where near as effective at holding enemy attention as one with it. My fighter can hold like 4 guys by himself (1 normal, +2 from Defender, +1 more from weapon). Ranger pets can also fill gaps instead of doing attacks to keep enemies from crossing your defensive line.

I keep getting this fucking screen despite having working saves, there's like a 1 in 20 chance it actually recognizes them

https://i.imgur.com/TMPP82s.jpg?1[IMG][/QUOTE]
Are you using Steam cloud saves? ive seen little cogwheel icons on the Continue and Load button when a game is started and the intro screens are bypassed. im assuming its synching with the cloud when its doing that. Might have something to do with that.

Corpekata

Banned
Fought a random group of people in one of the Act 1 areas when looking for a bounty. Thought it WAS the bounty but was wrong, was a random creepy guy and one of the few that actually spoke to party members. Wonder if he's related to anything or if it was just chance?

water_wendi

Water is not wet!

If that is the double click bug you can resolve it by removing the member from the party and reinviting. You can do this at an inn. i just tried it with Kana. Double clicked an armor, he lost the racial. Removed him from party. Reinvited and he was back to normal.

ZZMitch

Any word from Obsidian about upcoming fixes to the double-click bug and quick-save bug?

Its sad I am scared to play this game right now and risk ruining my save when its much fun :(

Giever

all of these bugs have completely killed my enthusiasm. i just can't bring myself to get invested when who knows how i could just totally fuck my save over in a way that may not even be fixable by future patches without just restarting

fucking sigh

Jebral

I haven't fallen to that bug.... Luckily I've been dragging things all over! Removing and re-adding her doesn't work... I wonder if it's my alignment affecting her defense. I mean, I'm not EVIL or anything, just maybe not Paladin material.

Then I switch Kana in, only to see that he has like 14 DR naked.

Um. That doesn't seem quite right.

*Goes to read rules*

Blizzard

Banned
Easy difficulty is super tough for me right now. I tried going to
the place called Caed Nua at level 3
and got destroyed as a level 3 wizard even with one other person in my party. :p I instantly got knocked out and the other person got stunlocked so they couldn't even attack.

JC Sera

Just wanted to ask you guys about the variety in enviroments before i buy the game. How varied are they? from looking at the screenshots, the impression that im having is that the dungeons consist mostly of similar looking rooms?
This is one of my favourites

Also just checked my character stats I seem to have dodged al the nasty bugs
Maybe its a Mac thing

Durante has to be one of my favorite companions.
when you first meet him you think he's just going to be stock crazy old dude. But no he's more than just crazy old dude. He's a total asshole. His banter with Kana is amazing.

Jebral

Yes all this DR wackiness does seem to be a bug :( I was having so much fun, now I'm afraid to play! Apparently there's a glitch with saving and loading in places where you find companions that jacks up given companion's stats. Or something.

Hopefully this gets patched quickly, and the fix is retroactive :(

Dang it :(

infi

Durante has to be one of my favorite companions.
when you first meet him you think he's just going to be stock crazy old dude. But no he's more than just crazy old dude. He's a total asshole. His banter with Kana is amazing.

I like the banter of most characters so far. I've avoided talking to Aloth, Sagani and Grieving Mother as I want to save them for my next play through but the rest of the companions are all pretty interesting.

infi

At level 3, yes. I didn't want
Aloth or Durance.

Also why does my wizard say "It's not working!" when she casts a spell that obviously works, such as a spirit shield spell on herself?

If you're not taking those two characters you could try hiring an adventurer from the inn. It would help you out a lot at your level.

At level 3, yes. I didn't want
Aloth or Durance.

Also why does my wizard say "It's not working!" when she casts a spell that obviously works, such as a spirit shield spell on herself?
Yeah man either hire adventurers or be prepared to struggle. Maybe easy mode will allow you to do this but idk.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Sorry to quote myself. I'm thinking about restarting with a dual-weapon Barbarian and making
Edér
my tank. I'm not feeling the Rogue class.

I've been playing a bit more now than I finally finished Code Veronica X (me and my damned "play everything in order" mania...). I'm still very early into Act I, but I'm already having second thoughts on my party.

I started with a human Rogue on Normal, but I had to turn it down to Easy because I persistently got owned by basically everything. Right now, I have the first three companions you get (
Aloth, Edér and Durance
) and I've read that the rest of them are not the greatest characters ever, in terms of stats distribution and such. I've been thinking about going with a fully custom party, but, at the same time, I fear I will be missing a lot of the plot of the game (or, at least, the personal side quests) if I don't have the in-game NPCs on my party. What should I do? Should I create new characters from scratch? Or should I just truck along with the default NPCs?

Also, I'm still not feeling well with magic in these games. When I play Baldur's Gate, I go with a fully-melee party. At most, I rely on a Cleric's healing and I dual class Imoen into a Thief/Mage to have some backup magic in case I need it, but that's it. Knowing this, do you guys have any tips for my possible party?

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Sorry to quote myself. I'm thinking about restarting with a dual-weapon Barbarian and making
Edér
my tank. I'm not feeling the Rogue class.

As a Barbarian myself i feel they lend themselves very well to 2H weapons. Very well. You can also equip extended range weapons such as a Pike or Quarterstaff to hit from behind the tank if they are in a doorway.

pahamrick

Has there been any ETA on the patch? I know they said they were aiming for this week. I'm going to wait for the next patch to hit and see what gets fixed before I restart.

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member
Man, even just super early on you have the one little side quest with
that Nonton guy that tossed his friend to the bear and you have to decide how to deal with him and his lady friend.

This is just a dinky little quest but I've had to actually stop and think on how I want to resolve it because, oh my god, I've been given multiple choices on how to resolve it. Holy shit, I think I've been playing modern BioWare games for too long because this one little quest has more ambiguity and choice in it than most of DA: Inquisition did for it's quests.

My Monk follows a certain saying
"When one man is betrayed to death, two graves are dug; One for the dead and one for the living", in this case three graves for three dead people (the victim, Nonton and the victim's wife, all of them shall pay the toll).

Nordicus

Aah, leveled up to 5. Let's see what abilities I can get....

Riposte: "The rogue looks for openings to counterattack in combat. Incoming melee attacks that target Deflection and miss have a chance of allowing an instant Full Attack Riposte. Only active with melee weapons equipped"

Ohohoho, ohohoho, my dodgey tankey ripostey NWN2 Rogue is back! I don't need fast attack speeds when you give me the opportunities!

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Anyone running with the ranger companion - there is an incredible bow on lvl 4 of the Endless Paths that she absolutely wrecks faces with. You can head down there at level ~4-5 easily, so consider it!

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Can anyone who followed this game really close tell me - is there a chance of co-op down the line? Me and my wife finished Divinity this summer and it was my best gaming experience since Deus Ex. PoE seems like right up our alley - very hardcore when it comes to combat so I'd probably wait some time if there is some possibility of co-op added in expansions.

KePoW

Banned
Can anyone who followed this game really close tell me - is there a chance of co-op down the line? Me and my wife finished Divinity this summer and it was my best gaming experience since Deus Ex. PoE seems like right up our alley - very hardcore when it comes to combat so I'd probably wait some time if there is some possibility of co-op added in expansions.

No, IE games are not meant for coop

Top Bottom