• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity |OT| You must gather your party before venturing forth.

Jon Armdog

Man, after watching the OP videos, this game looks awesome. I wish my wrists could tolerate KBM gaming. I'll continue to eavesdrop on this thread for now, living vicariously through other players. Maybe the Steam Controller will save the day...in what? November?

How you guys think torment tides of numenera will measure up? Numenera seems like such a cool setting...to the point that I kinda wish obsidian was involved. Was the writing in wasteland 2 good?

After Wasteland 2, I'd be worried for the combat and general presentation of the game. But everything else ought to be good, at the very least; Wasteland 2's writing was rather sharp, and it had an interesting humour to it as well.

Ala Alba

Man, after watching the OP videos, this game looks awesome. I wish my wrists could tolerate KBM gaming. I'll continue to eavesdrop on this thread for now, living vicariously through other players. Maybe the Steam Controller will save the day...in what? November?

Have you tried a trackball, maybe?

Lingitiz

How you guys think torment tides of numenera will measure up? Numenera seems like such a cool setting...to the point that I kinda wish obsidian was involved. Was the writing in wasteland 2 good?
It's a really cool setting. The writing team on Torment has a ton of big names and they're working with Obsidian's engine which should help the presentation immensely.

KePoW

Banned
After Wasteland 2, I'd be worried for the combat and general presentation of the game. But everything else ought to be good, at the very least; Wasteland 2's writing was rather sharp, and it had an interesting humour to it as well.

this is my hunch... I don't think the production values are going to be very good

Wasteland 2 just did not look good

I thikn PoE graphics are actually great, and I'm very picky about graphics enthusiast

Conezays

Can't tell if the game is bugged or I'm not a high enough level to detect the traps while I'm sneaking in the area I'm in? I could detect traps and take care of them previously but can't seem to for the past few hours. It's making getting through some of these areas to be rather cumbersome.

hemtae

this is my hunch... I don't think the production values are going to be very good

Wasteland 2 just did not look good

I thikn PoE graphics are actually great, and I'm very picky about graphics enthusiast

Torment: Tides of Numenera is going to be using the same engine as Pillars of Eternity.

ivb_1973

Banned
Fuck the mega dungeon... for now.

Just tried to beat the drake. Succeded. Went up again one floor. Succeded. Another floor with half characters semidead. Succeded. Then I came up through the stairs to a room full of monsters that instakilled half of my party.

I had to reload a save BEFORE going down Xaurip's sacrificial hole. Which means that 5 hours of nearly impossible feats where lost.

Then I decided to complete Act I and go with the main story.

Seriously, fuck that dungeon for at least 20 hours...

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
like i pretty much must be doing something wrong because every encounter atm is like, do as much burst damage as i can before all my party members except eder die and hope that he can tank the enemies for long enough to kill them

like i pretty much must be doing something wrong because every encounter atm is like, do as much burst damage as i can before all my party members except eder die and hope that he can tank the enemies for long enough to kill them

Pretty much everyone in party except Eder used ranged weapons, and that worked out pretty well. Just have Eder charge in and try to engage as many as possible then have everyone take them out.

Altazor

that's a good first step then

I hope their artists are just as good as PoE

Well, we've seen this:

kbjDovZ.jpg

and this:

I think ToN is looking good.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
woot just hit 8 on my chanter and got fire weapon phrase

Hey guys I'm in Act 2 spoilers
lle a rhemen. The ruins in stormwall gorge. I sacrificed my soul to the soul vessel and then there's a glowing dias that says I can interact with it but nothing happens when I click. Is the game bugging again or am I missing something?

My tips:

Keep Eder and any other heavily armoured people at the front of the party, near the beginning of the battle. Have them engage the enemies and soak the damage, so your weaker party members can freely act or reposition themselves. Use per-encounter spells as often as possible, and per-rest spells whenever necessary. Focus on keeping the more heavily armoured party members alive until the melee enemies are dealt with (unless there's a more pressing threat). Avoid using lightly armoured party members in melee combat unless they're flanking (i.e. not the target of) the enemy in question.

One important thing to keep in mind as far as Eder or any other tanks are concerned is that they need high deflection (physical attack defense) and high DR (to reduce the damage they inevitably receive). Because armours' specific DR varies a bit, pay attention to who is resistant to what, and equip them accordingly.

As far as defeating enemies, pay attention to an enemy's tooltip stats as you attack them. Defenses will be revealed as you test them, which will reveal the quickest way to defeat them. Monsters will have their stats fully known once the lore entry is complete, but human/etc enemies' stats will only be revealed as you attack them every time. Paying close attention to a human/etc enemy's armour will give you an idea of their resistances, as they're wearing the armour they drop; this means mages will almost always have worse defense than full-fledged warriors.

One last thing: keep in mind who your most lethal party members are, and try to engineer situations where they can take full advantage of their skills. If, say, you have a ranger with a particularly lethal bow, try to weaken enemies' deflection or DR so they can get more full hits in. But, again, always pay attention to an enemy's DR; a fleet of full-plate warriors will take little damage from piercing weapons, so try to have a variety of weapon sets for your party to maximize your effectiveness on a per-battle bassis.

Hope this helps.

i'm only on the temple of eohgkdfgjwhatever, so i only have 3 party members (+ my bear)

Ahh, yeah that place is pretty rough. If you have the coin go to the tavern and hire another party member or come back later. I hired a monk and it was still pretty tough going but I managed.

Hey guys I'm in Act 2 spoilers
lle a rhemen. The ruins in stormwall gorge. I sacrificed my soul to the soul vessel and then there's a glowing dias that says I can interact with it but nothing happens when I click. Is the game bugging again or am I missing something?

Do you have two party members standing on the right tiles?

Bluth54

I think I'm going to wait for the patch to come out before I play again and hope it fixes the long save times/load times bug. It's getting really bad for me, especially since I'm in Defiance Bay and there are tons of loads.

Zornack

So does Perception or Mechanics determine if I spot loot caches and traps? Or is the spotting of that stuff not even attached to a stat and I'll always seem them if I'm close enough in sneak mode?

petghost

Banned
I think one of the most important things about pillars combat is always fucking sneak. having positioning and the first strike seems super important in this game

Ahh, yeah that place is pretty rough. If you have the coin go to the tavern and hire another party member or come back later. I hired a monk and it was still pretty tough going but I managed.

Do you have two party members standing on the right tiles?
i didn't have the spear to enchant. Idk how I feel about transporting part of my soul into a weapon but damn if it isn't cool having a soul spear.

hemtae

Wasteland 2 used unity...

Death to unity microstutter though. Easily the worst part about pillars.

Obsidian and inXile are sharing technology though.

Collaborating with Obsidian on Tech

As you know, we’ve been working on Wasteland 2 in Unity and will be implementing Torment in Unity as well. Meanwhile, about 20 minutes away, Obsidian Entertainment is creating Project Eternity, also in Unity. Though there are major differences between our games, there are also similarities as all are RPGs built in the same engine. As many of you have suggested, it only makes sense that we collaborate where we can.

We are happy to announce that we at inXile and the great guys over at Obsidian have reached an agreement to share tools and technology when it makes sense. This will allow both companies to be more cost-effective on these projects, allowing your pledges to go further in terms of creating art, content, gameplay, and game polish. Vive le classic RPG revolution!

Also

I hope 2014 has been good to you so far. We’re continuing to flesh out our area and systems designs, but lately we’ve had increased emphasis on developing Torment’s aesthetics and environments.

To that end, we have some news related to our environment art: late last March, we announced that we’d be collaborating with Obsidian Entertainment on technology. This primarily meant their conversation editing tools, which provide a very strong foundation for the dialogue reactivity we seek for Torment. We’ve been prototyping conversations with these tools since last summer and have been adapting the technology for Torment’s specific dialogue needs. Meanwhile, we’ve been evaluating other aspects of the Pillars of Eternity technology over the last months and have been impressed with the environments they’ve been able to create with it in Unity. We seek a similar high level of quality for our environments in Torment.

I’m happy to say that we’ve taken things a step further and recently reached an agreement to license Obsidian’s technology for Pillars of Eternity to use in Torment. (In case you haven’t seen it yet, a great Pillars of Eternity teaser came out last month – they are still accepting late pledges for any who missed their Kickstarter.) Torment’s code base will thus include the most relevant components of PE’s technology and Wasteland 2’s. We’re making enhancements to best suit Torment, and some systems will of course be completely new as Torment’s design is its own.

What are the practical implications of our licensing PE technology? It provides us with a stronger starting point for certain game systems and pipelines, including the creation of the 2D pre-rendered environments (we’re working on having something to show you in the coming weeks). This means we will have more resources to invest on other aspects of the game, allowing us to achieve a higher quality overall. (Recall that 100% (and more) of the crowdfunded monies are allocated to development of Torment. So anything that saves effort means that we have more to spend elsewhere on Torment.) This arrangement benefits both games and we continue to push Torment as far as we can in terms of quality.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Started a new game on hard and... this is too hard for me.

What the fuck man, the Shades summon Shadows???

Zeliard

Started a new game on hard and... this is too hard for me.

What the fuck man, the Shades summon Shadows???

Hard features the intended enemy encounter design, so have a ball. :D

Might I also recommend adding Expert Mode? No AoE range indicators!

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Hard features the intended enemy encounter design, so have a ball. :D

Might I also recommend adding Expert Mode? No AoE range indicators!

I'm always on expert!

Even if there's no way I can handle it!

I might have to... reroll. Again. And rebuild my Monk or pick an OP class like Cipher. Accuracy is really killer in this game. I might just have to give everyone Spears/Rapiers.

Vaporak

I'm loving this game, got the crash bug at raedrics keep though so I guess I'll have to go check out defiance bay for a bit first. Hopefully the patch gets here soon!

Tom Penny

I don't know who's brilliant idea it was to have load screen just to walk up every flight of stairs indoors..way too much unnecessary loading that isn't fast.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
So I just finished act 2

Fucking awesome. You think things are gonna go your way and then LOL NOPE THE CITY IS EXPLODING INTO CHAOS EVERYTHING IS FUCKED.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Just finished Act II and oh my god...

Shit just got real...does the outcome differ slightly if I defended animancy? I tried to tell the duke that it needed to be reigned in and regulated properly and then Thaos comes and fucks it all up.

Edit: ^lol

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
I'm always on expert!

Even if there's no way I can handle it!

I might have to... reroll. Again. And rebuild my Monk or pick an OP class like Cipher. Accuracy is really killer in this game. I might just have to give everyone Spears/Rapiers.

ive been playing on Hard from the start and the only enemies to give me issues consistently are Shades and Shadows. For my Iron playthrough im definitely going to have to have weapons enchanted specifically for dealing with them.

So I just finished act 2

Fucking awesome. You think things are gonna go your way and then LOL NOPE THE CITY IS EXPLODING INTO CHAOS EVERYTHING IS FUCKED.

Really?

I thought that outcome was incredibly obvious. Maybe it's just because I knew there were two more acts in the game, but it was not a surprise. The rioting of the whole city was a bit of a shock. I was incensed we didn't have extra guards on the lookout to prevent any shenanigans. When I was heading back to Lady Webb I was thinking "Either this dumbass better be dead or working for Thaos the whole time, or I'm gonna kill her myself.

Shit just got real...does the outcome differ slightly if I defended animancy? I tried to tell the duke that it needed to be reigned in and regulated properly and then Thaos comes and fucks it all up.

It does not.

I defended animancy as much as I was able. I clearly swayed the audience and the Duke. Happened the same way.

Anoregon

Is there anywhere to farm/buy Pilgrims crown? I have a few items I want to upgrade but I'm out.

Remmy2112

During the riots I saw a Dozens Martyr telling me that he had been swayed by the hearing, when I defended animancy, and got two animancers out of the Sanitarium before it was torched.

Violet_0

Banned
can someone help me out with the puzzle in the ruins in Stormwall Gorge? I
spoke to the stone heads, have the spear and let the NPC in the spider room go away. Explored the whole place but found nothing else.
Kind of at a loss at what to do next

e: nvm, looks like I
should have killed the NPC. welp

Top Bottom